Jump to topic:

Large hadron collider

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 8:49:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
The LHC will never be defunded. It wont matter if it doesn't produce a single new piece of information or create a single new spin off invention. It is a huge behemoth toy for the academic world and a complete waste of the tax payers money.
The people who run it can say anything, how is anyone going to prove otherwise. They can just make up what ever they want to keep it funded the same way they got funding for it in the first place. "Oh, we are so close to figuring out the Higgs Bosson theory, all we need is another 10 billion dollars and 5 years. And lets not forget all those other dimensions and universes waiting to be unlocked.
The LHC is the antithesis for the phrase "sucker, there's one born every minute" The LHC started out on a fraud. America was going to build one and the tax payers said no. So what does are govt do. It renames it and moves it out of the country and then funds it by hiding the funds under another renamed govt expenditure. The LHC was built on fraud and deceit from day one and that is why it will be a complete failure. What comes around goes around.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 8:55:18 PM
I saw my baby, crying hard as babe could cry, what could I do!?
my baby's love had gone and left my baby blue! What could I do?

WHAT KIND MAGIC SPELL DO YOU USE?
kfc
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 9:01:56 PM
At 10/7/2010 8:49:36 PM, sadolite wrote:
The LHC started out on a fraud. America was going to build one and the tax payers said no. So what does are govt do. It renames it and moves it out of the country and then funds it by hiding the funds under another renamed govt expenditure. The LHC was built on fraud and deceit from day one and that is why it will be a complete failure. What comes around goes around.

Ehh, I'm pretty sure science doesn't work that way :/
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 9:05:16 PM
At 10/7/2010 9:01:56 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
The LHC started out on a fraud. America was going to build one and the tax payers said no. So what does are govt do. It renames it and moves it out of the country and then funds it by hiding the funds under another renamed govt expenditure. The LHC was built on fraud and deceit from day one and that is why it will be a complete failure. What comes around goes around.

Ehh, I'm pretty sure science doesn't work that way :/

Dance magic dance, jump magic jump!
kfc
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 9:14:02 PM
The LHC will never be defunded. It wont matter if it doesn't produce a single new piece of information or create a single new spin off invention. It is a huge behemoth toy for the academic world and a complete waste of the tax payers money.
The people who run it can say anything, how is anyone going to prove otherwise. They can just make up what ever they want to keep it funded the same way they got funding for it in the first place. "Oh, we are so close to figuring out the Higgs Bosson theory, all we need is another 10 billion dollars and 5 years. And lets not forget all those other dimensions and universes waiting to be unlocked.
The LHC is the antithesis for the phrase "sucker, there's one born every minute" The LHC started out on a fraud. America was going to build one and the tax payers said no. So what does are govt do. It renames it and moves it out of the country and then funds it by hiding the funds under another renamed govt expenditure. The LHC was built on fraud and deceit from day one and that is why it will be a complete failure. What comes around goes around.

question: if the LHC doesn't actually do anything valuable for science then whats the appeal? i don't see how, as a "toy" it will amuse anyone. theres nothing cool to watch. its just a really long tube that spits out a bunch of data that needs to be painstakingly analyzed. scientists may be geeks but i don't think something like the LHC can be considered a "toy" in the same way a superrobot might. at least then its possible to imagine some kind of fun they could get out of it...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 9:59:42 PM
At 10/7/2010 9:58:00 PM, xxdarkxx wrote:
1) Sub atomic Particles
2) Super Fast Speeds
3) Collision

1+2+3=/=6

it = Fun

and that is why we need the LHC

It's teleported something...
TELEPORTED
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 1:21:08 PM
At 10/7/2010 9:59:42 PM, zGodMode wrote:
1) Sub atomic Particles
2) Super Fast Speeds
3) Collision

1+2+3=/=6

it = Fun

TELEPORTED

Link?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 1:25:45 PM
No-one here has the credentials or understanding to accurately determine whether the LHC will be a worthwhile investment. End of thread.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 1:49:44 PM
question: if the LHC doesn't actually do anything valuable for science then whats the appeal?:

The only thing I can gather from it is that it's a tool used to mimic the singularity event. That is, it seems to exist in order to debunk the necessity of God as the First Cause.

Of course, it all presupposes early conditions, and it doesn't erase the chicken/egg problem.

A complete waste of money if you ask me.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 3:34:52 PM
At 10/7/2010 9:14:02 PM, belle wrote:

question: if the LHC doesn't actually do anything valuable for science then whats the appeal? i don't see how, as a "toy" it will amuse anyone. theres nothing cool to watch. its just a really long tube that spits out a bunch of data that needs to be painstakingly analyzed. scientists may be geeks but i don't think something like the LHC can be considered a "toy" in the same way a superrobot might. at least then its possible to imagine some kind of fun they could get out of it...

A one hundred thousand dollar a year income or even greater and free air travel in first class luxury to and from The LHC. Endless maintenance contracts and security contracts. An endless list of parts to replaced over and over. The list can go on forever. The LHC will be a mini economy bigger than most third world countries, hell it already is. It will end up being just another ponzi scheme with not a single person being held responsible. The scientific community has allowed itself to be manipulated by politics. It has no credibility anymore. The global warming scandal with the IPPC is a prime example. Scientists manipulated data to continue to receive funding. The same will be true with the LHC. If they don't produce anything they will manipulate the data to keep it funded. Anything funded by govt is most certainly tainted with fraud and deception. The private sector has to produce results or it lights out, no more funding. The govt can just lie and lie and lie and there is nothing anyone can do about it
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 8:51:40 PM
Regan's Star Wars Initiative . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 9:08:43 AM
At 10/8/2010 8:51:40 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

It was never even built and produced results. It was a military tactic to break the back of Russia. And as you can plainly see it is no longer funded because it achived it's goal in less than 2 years. The LHC will be funded indefinitely because it is an academic toy. As someone else said "You don't have the credentials or the knowledge to even begin to question the LHC ". Just pay the money and shut your peasant mouth, we are academics and your puny lilliputian brains cant comprehend what we are doing. We are above you and you will pay for what ever we want and don't have to justify anything to you.

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 11:41:31 AM
At 10/9/2010 9:08:43 AM, sadolite wrote:

It was never even built and produced results. It was a military tactic to break the back of Russia. And as you can plainly see it is no longer funded because it achived it's goal in less than 2 years. The LHC will be funded indefinitely because it is an academic toy. As someone else said "You don't have the credentials or the knowledge to even begin to question the LHC ". Just pay the money and shut your peasant mouth, we are academics and your puny lilliputian brains cant comprehend what we are doing. We are above you and you will pay for what ever we want and don't have to justify anything to you.

WTF are you talking about I was making a reference to the matter accelerator satellite that which would have rendered nukes pointless I believe that the LHC could be minimized and mass-produced in a satellite form in order to render nukes useless and to help defend the earth from asteroids and other celestial objects (in a nutshell the LHC could resurrect the Star Wars Initiative) for in Regan's day they could barely construct a proper matter accelerator.
Minister Of Trolling
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 11:44:21 AM
Wow. I know I said no-one here really understands what the LHC does, but I'm pretty sure acting as a nuke reflector isn't it.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 11:47:46 AM
At 10/9/2010 11:44:21 AM, Kinesis wrote:
Wow. I know I said no-one here really understands what the LHC does, but I'm pretty sure acting as a nuke reflector isn't it.

I think it's a mind control device built under the auspices of the Illuminati and the reptilians.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 11:48:34 AM
Hmmm so if science is expensive or requires effort it should be ditched. That money could be spent on baseball or paying the poor to breed. Far worthier causes.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 2:07:59 PM

No it is being used t study the origins of the universe I did not say it could be used to "reflect" nukes I said if miniaturized it and put it in several tactical orbits it could be modified to act as an orbital defense grid against nukes by shooting them down, it can be used for different purposes than the ones intended fool!
Minister Of Trolling
:
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 5:38:30 PM
At 10/9/2010 2:07:59 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

No it is being used t study the origins of the universe I did not say it could be used to "reflect" nukes I said if miniaturized it and put it in several tactical orbits it could be modified to act as an orbital defense grid against nukes by shooting them down, it can be used for different purposes than the ones intended fool!

... Miniaturising wouldn't work. The LHC has nearly 10 000 magnets each of which weigh several tonnes to get the particles speed higher. Not to mention the magnets are cooled to near absolute zero.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 6:02:48 PM
At 10/9/2010 5:38:30 PM, Puck wrote:

... Miniaturising wouldn't work. The LHC has nearly 10 000 magnets each of which weigh several tonnes to get the particles speed higher. Not to mention the magnets are cooled to near absolute zero.

I need to get me one of those.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 6:18:23 PM
If it weren't for CERN we wouldn't be having this international, real-time conversation.

The world wide web was developed there in 1991:

"Originally developed to provide a distributed hypermedia system.
Easy access to any form of information anywhere in the world.
Initially non-graphic (this came later, MOSAIC, 1993).
Revolutionised modern communications and even our, way of life (?)."

http://www.netvalley.com...

But the Internet was never conceived to be what it is today - it developed from military and academic applications.

We don't yet know that the LHC will achieve and we won't know unless we continue to fund it.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 6:45:24 PM
At 10/9/2010 5:38:30 PM, Puck wrote:

A long time ago we thought internal combustion wouldn't work I believe that one day we could miniaturize it but then it couldn't be called the LHC it would have to be called the SHC.
Minister Of Trolling
:
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 7:03:13 PM
At 10/8/2010 3:34:52 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 10/7/2010 9:14:02 PM, belle wrote:

A one hundred thousand dollar a year income or even greater and free air travel in first class luxury to and from The LHC. Endless maintenance contracts and security contracts. An endless list of parts to replaced over and over. The list can go on forever. The LHC will be a mini economy bigger than most third world countries, hell it already is. It will end up being just another ponzi scheme with not a single person being held responsible. The scientific community has allowed itself to be manipulated by politics. It has no credibility anymore. The global warming scandal with the IPPC is a prime example. Scientists manipulated data to continue to receive funding. The same will be true with the LHC. If they don't produce anything they will manipulate the data to keep it funded. Anything funded by govt is most certainly tainted with fraud and deception. The private sector has to produce results or it lights out, no more funding. The govt can just lie and lie and lie and there is nothing anyone can do about it

ok, so they get to spend a sh*tton of money supposedly on maintaining a useless piece of equipment. but why on earth would they want to? the money doesn't go to them. you said yourself it gets spent on parts and things. how does that benefit them except by maintaining the illusion? the illusion itself doesn't benefit them at all.

what about all the scientists that aren't selected to work on the LHC project? if its really complete bunk, wouldn't they in their bitterness come out and say so? is there any reason you think the LHC is a waste other than the fact that governments are involved?

granted i'm no expert in particle physics, but the principles involved are legitimate at least as far as i understand them. do you think you've found a flaw? or is all of science a big conspiracy from the moment the government steps in?
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 7:07:21 PM
At 10/8/2010 1:21:08 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/7/2010 9:59:42 PM, zGodMode wrote:
1) Sub atomic Particles
2) Super Fast Speeds
3) Collision

1+2+3=/=6

it = Fun

TELEPORTED

Link?

He mis-remembered the story, it wasn't the LHC.

http://www.time.com...
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2010 5:11:54 AM
At 10/9/2010 11:48:34 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Hmmm so if science is expensive or requires effort it should be ditched. That money could be spent on baseball or paying the poor to breed. Far worthier causes.

lol, indeed.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2010 1:43:52 PM
Space Catapult . . .
Minister Of Trolling
:
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 9:14:52 AM
At 10/9/2010 11:41:31 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
At 10/9/2010 9:08:43 AM, sadolite wrote:

WTF are you talking about I was making a reference to the matter accelerator satellite that which would have rendered nukes pointless I believe that the LHC could be minimized and mass-produced in a satellite form in order to render nukes useless and to help defend the earth from asteroids and other celestial objects (in a nutshell the LHC could resurrect the Star Wars Initiative) for in Regan's day they could barely construct a proper matter accelerator.

"Regan's Star Wars Initiative . . ."
I interpreted this to mean that it "too" was also a waste of money but at the same time trying to defend the LHC. You give no context.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 9:21:49 AM
At 10/9/2010 6:18:23 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
If it weren't for CERN we wouldn't be having this international, real-time conversation.

The world wide web was developed there in 1991:

"Originally developed to provide a distributed hypermedia system.
Easy access to any form of information anywhere in the world.
Initially non-graphic (this came later, MOSAIC, 1993).
Revolutionised modern communications and even our, way of life (?)."

http://www.netvalley.com...

But the Internet was never conceived to be what it is today - it developed from military and academic applications.

We don't yet know that the LHC will achieve and we won't know unless we continue to fund it.

How long do you consider a reasonable amount of time and a reasonable amount of money? We are approaching 1 trillion dollars for something that is supposed to benefit humanity. 1 trillion dollars goes along way to help humanity. And it wold have produced much better results even if half the money was wasted.

Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 11:12:11 AM
total f*cking moron said: How long do you consider a reasonable amount of time and a reasonable amount of money? We are approaching 1 trillion dollars for something that is supposed to benefit humanity. 1 trillion dollars goes along way to help humanity. And it wold have produced much better results even if half the money was wasted.:

Oh god...where to start?

1: The LHC isn't "approaching one trillion dollars" it's current cost is nine billion dollars as of June of this year. Let me illustrate that.

one trillion dors: 1,000,000,000,000,000
Nine billion dollars: 9,000,000,000,000

You are a f*ckwit.

2: As of the 30th of March 2010, the Collider set the world record for the highest-energy man-made particle collisions (you know, doing the sh!t it was built to do) and it did so using only half it's power. Ignoring for a second the energy that could be extracted from that kind of process, need I remind you that this is groundbreaking scientific advancement here, as opposed to, say, pissing it away on a pointless war?

You are a f*ckwit.

3: You ain't paying for it and it ain't in your back garden so what argument do you have against it's construction and use?

You are a f*ckwit.

4: If you have a better way to advance our knowledge of physics that costs less money and manpower, I sure as sh!t would like to hear it.

Oh, and before I forget, you are a f*ckwit.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?