Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 4:53:31 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/19/2016 4:46:06 AM, TBR wrote:
Lets talk.

Anyone?

I am on the hunt for a McIntosh MC 2105 (circa 1970). A friend has one, and I have never NEVER experienced better.
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 8:43:29 PM
At 1/19/2016 4:53:31 AM, TBR wrote:
Lets talk.

Anyone?

I am on the hunt for a McIntosh MC 2105 (circa 1970). A friend has one, and I have never NEVER experienced better.

I've never seen or used that amp but I am interested in this subject because I studied electronics. In fact in the mid 70s when I first got into it as a hobby, tubes (or valves as they are known in Britain) were still in use but fading. I thus regularly saw and owned tube radios and TVs for years.

Transistors were well established by the 70s but the majority of designs were based in bipolar transistors and these are fundamentally different electrically from tubes.

Tubes are voltage amplifiers whereas bipolar transistors are current amplifiers. If you look at audio amplifier designs based on bipolar transistors you'll begin to find that much of their design is focused on compensating the disadvantages of current amplification, tube amps are simpler than bipolar transistor amps because of this.

However, having said that we now use what are termed FET - field effect transistors - these are - like tubes - voltage amplification devices, in fact modern VMOS power FETs are almost perfect voltage amplifiers like tubes on steroids.

So I do wonder if a modern VMOS audio amplifier is not better and sounds better than an old tube amp?

I was really into HiFi as a kid but had zero money so just read (a lot) about the subject in the 70s and early 80s, by the time I got a job and settled I'd lost interest in HiFi and I've fallen behind.

I do love Sonos though and find their sound really good, part of that is due though to modern loudspeakers which leverage the incredibly strong magnets originally designed for disk drives.

Harry.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2016 8:55:34 PM
At 1/24/2016 8:43:29 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:
At 1/19/2016 4:53:31 AM, TBR wrote:
Lets talk.

Anyone?

I've never seen or used that amp but I am interested in this subject because I studied electronics. In fact in the mid 70s when I first got into it as a hobby, tubes (or valves as they are known in Britain) were still in use but fading. I thus regularly saw and owned tube radios and TVs for years.

Transistors were well established by the 70s but the majority of designs were based in bipolar transistors and these are fundamentally different electrically from tubes.

Tubes are voltage amplifiers whereas bipolar transistors are current amplifiers. If you look at audio amplifier designs based on bipolar transistors you'll begin to find that much of their design is focused on compensating the disadvantages of current amplification, tube amps are simpler than bipolar transistor amps because of this.

However, having said that we now use what are termed FET - field effect transistors - these are - like tubes - voltage amplification devices, in fact modern VMOS power FETs are almost perfect voltage amplifiers like tubes on steroids.

So I do wonder if a modern VMOS audio amplifier is not better and sounds better than an old tube amp?

I was really into HiFi as a kid but had zero money so just read (a lot) about the subject in the 70s and early 80s, by the time I got a job and settled I'd lost interest in HiFi and I've fallen behind.

I do love Sonos though and find their sound really good, part of that is due though to modern loudspeakers which leverage the incredibly strong magnets originally designed for disk drives.

Harry.

Harry.

All great! On phone, but inwilll respond later.

Speakers are another great conversation. Really. And sonos, I knew the guys well in SB ca
great co doing very good engineering