Jump to topic:

Internet Addiction Disorder *

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 3:59:28 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Good evening ladies and gentleman. I want to know how many of you here use the internet at least once per day. Show your hands please. Did you know that the average person uses the internet at about 6 hours in a day. And that's not even counting the ones who are addicted. I notice the symptoms here and some of you have it. Its called internet addiction disorder. I recognize the ones who see the thrill of the debate as if they are getting off on it. Or like there is some sort of unquenchable rush. See the link below please if you dare. I think this can also be a correlation with cell phone addiction too outside of the norm. Is this you. =)
What do you think. Comments. Questions.

https://en.wikipedia...
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 2:24:03 AM
Buenos Noches senor scam artist I no fall for trick
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2016 3:15:34 PM
At 3/23/2016 2:24:03 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Buenos Noches senor scam artist I no fall for trick

I believe that you have a disorder. And I do believe you are one of those people who are addicted to the internet.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 2:01:52 AM
It is a disorder when a person rarely has something better to do than surf the net.
What we have to worry about are kids who will learn how to use a computer instead of learning how to make friends with real people.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 6:17:54 PM
At 4/6/2016 2:01:52 AM, xus00HAY wrote:
It is a disorder when a person rarely has something better to do than surf the net.
What we have to worry about are kids who will learn how to use a computer instead of learning how to make friends with real people.

Do you believe this is why many people from this generation are socially dysfunctional ?
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 6:18:21 PM
At 4/6/2016 2:01:52 AM, xus00HAY wrote:

Do you believe this is why many people from this generation are socially dysfunctional ?
breakingamber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 1:06:21 AM
Probably.
My mom has it. Not pretty.
MAY THE WRATH OF THE MODS BE UPON YOU!
- Master Elodin

"When will [Obliteration] learn that Funtimes' plan of saving/destroying the world with pancakes is the only way? "
"She wouldn't even have to make real pancakes! Just the batter, and Obliteration could cook it with his powers! OBLITERATION, YOU'RE WASTING YOUR TALENTS"
- Voidus and TwiLyghtSansSparkles

"An Epic stage magician and a zombie dinosaur? She sure as Braize won"t pull the line there!"
- Edgedancer
breakingamber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2016 3:16:49 PM
At 4/11/2016 2:24:52 PM, inferno wrote:
At 4/9/2016 1:06:21 AM, breakingamber wrote:
Probably.
My mom has it. Not pretty.

Is she addicted to the internet.

Yes.
MAY THE WRATH OF THE MODS BE UPON YOU!
- Master Elodin

"When will [Obliteration] learn that Funtimes' plan of saving/destroying the world with pancakes is the only way? "
"She wouldn't even have to make real pancakes! Just the batter, and Obliteration could cook it with his powers! OBLITERATION, YOU'RE WASTING YOUR TALENTS"
- Voidus and TwiLyghtSansSparkles

"An Epic stage magician and a zombie dinosaur? She sure as Braize won"t pull the line there!"
- Edgedancer
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 10:37:46 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 3/22/2016 3:59:28 PM, inferno wrote:
Good evening ladies and gentleman. I want to know how many of you here use the internet at least once per day. Show your hands please. Did you know that the average person uses the internet at about 6 hours in a day. And that's not even counting the ones who are addicted. I notice the symptoms here and some of you have it. Its called internet addiction disorder. I recognize the ones who see the thrill of the debate as if they are getting off on it. Or like there is some sort of unquenchable rush. See the link below please if you dare. I think this can also be a correlation with cell phone addiction too outside of the norm. Is this you. =)

I had to post just to get the 10.000th post here-lol.

At the moment I am addicted to DDO, but when I start working as soon as the weather warms up I won't be anymore. I work for a landscaping company, and don't have enough $$ do do any activities outside of my home for the time being - no gas $.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 2:52:29 PM
At 4/13/2016 10:37:46 PM, Emmarie wrote:

At the moment I am addicted to DDO, but when I start working as soon as the weather warms up I won't be anymore. I work for a landscaping company, and don't have enough $$ do do any activities outside of my home for the time being - no gas $.

Are you addicted to DDO. Or are you addicted to the internet.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 10:50:57 PM
At 5/6/2016 2:52:29 PM, inferno wrote:

Just DDO. I was addicted to SoundClick in 2007-2009, and SodaHead in 2009-2010. My electricity was off from 2011 till 2015, so I had no website addictions during that time. I hate being marketed to and pop media, so I tend to get addicted to sites which are dominated by anonymous real people. I didn't like twitter, and I never had a facebook.
KthulhuHimself
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 6:17:10 AM

I doubt this can really be catalogued as a disorder. The word "disorder" suggests something inbuilt into the brain, or something of similar nature constructed over time. Perhaps you're right, but I still think it should be catalouged as an addiction, not a disorder.
elatia.g
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 12:01:25 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
Even if one were to be diagnosed with an addiction, what would they do? You can't just tell someone to give up using the Net. That's like telling people not to walk and breathe.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 4:42:44 PM
At 5/13/2016 12:01:25 AM, elatia.g wrote:
Even if one were to be diagnosed with an addiction, what would they do? You can't just tell someone to give up using the Net. That's like telling people not to walk and breathe.

I never said they had to give up the internet overall. But they do have to acknowledge the fact that they have a serious and life altering issue simply because they are wasting too much time by being online.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 4:43:42 PM
At 5/6/2016 10:50:57 PM, Emmarie wrote:

Just DDO. I was addicted to SoundClick in 2007-2009, and SodaHead in 2009-2010. My electricity was off from 2011 till 2015, so I had no website addictions during that time. I hate being marketed to and pop media, so I tend to get addicted to sites which are dominated by anonymous real people. I didn't like twitter, and I never had a facebook.

You said you had no electricity for 4 years. May I ask what where you doing then. And how is that even possible.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 10:59:09 PM
At 5/25/2016 4:43:42 PM, inferno wrote:
At 5/6/2016 10:50:57 PM, Emmarie wrote:

You said you had no electricity for 4 years. May I ask what where you doing then. And how is that even possible.
I was going to sleep early - lol - and using the light by day, for the most part. I had two energizer lanterns powered by 4 D batteries, with 300 lumins, that stayed bright for like a month, for doing detail work like cooking. It cost like $12/ month for batteries. For more mellow evening activities, I used old fashioned oil lamps. Lamp oil cost about $8 per month. I had a battery powered radio, for entertainment. I have a wood stove, that I use to supplement my heat, and for when my gas was off. I cooked on my wood stove too, and heated 3 gallon roasting pans of water to bath with. I really enjoyed living like that, and I actually miss it.

It was a war I was having with the utility company, and I won. I still owe them quite a bit of money, but they have me on a payment plan that is reasonable, and have been very pleasant toward me since we worked out an arrangement and I have kept my end of the agreement with making payments. I don't think they ever had anyone boycott them - lol.

I learned how little I actually need to be clean, fed, and warm, not to mention I understand how people in "third" world countries can actually be happy with less. Thank God for water and plumbing though. If rich nations were gonna help third world countries with anything, it should be solid housing, and water and sewers.
elatia.g
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2016 1:54:42 AM
At 5/25/2016 4:42:44 PM, inferno wrote:
At 5/13/2016 12:01:25 AM, elatia.g wrote:

I never said they had to give up the internet overall. But they do have to acknowledge the fact that they have a serious and life altering issue simply because they are wasting too much time by being online.

Of course, but usually treatment for addiction to something means giving it up altogether, such as AA and quitting smoking.
akalyasekar26
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2016 12:36:08 PM
Obviously its me, you and everyone! After long stress at the office, people use mobile phones for their relaxation thinking that it resolves their pressure and stress but they do not think it actually adds burden to their health.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 2:36:03 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/7/2016 12:36:08 PM, akalyasekar26 wrote:
Obviously its me, you and everyone! After long stress at the office, people use mobile phones for their relaxation thinking that it resolves their pressure and stress but they do not think it actually adds burden to their health.

Its not me. I think you have addiction mixed up with actual internet time.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 2:11:36 PM
Posted: 4 months ago

How are things looking up for you thus far.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 12:56:50 AM
At 8/2/2016 2:11:36 PM, inferno wrote:

Much better, thanks for asking! I'm outside all day, and I love my job. After going thru several young bucks, we finally got a detail orientated mowing crew that I'm a part of. 3 males and 3 females. I went at it so hard in the beginning of the season, that the company I work for finally realized that females have endurance, and pay attention to detail, even if we lack brute strength. So they hired two more females. l feel half my age! Now this website is a hobby, but I still spend around an hour a day here, to unwind.

How are you doing?
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2016 4:01:19 PM
At 8/3/2016 12:56:50 AM, Emmarie wrote:

Much better, thanks for asking! I'm outside all day, and I love my job. After going thru several young bucks, we finally got a detail orientated mowing crew that I'm a part of. 3 males and 3 females. I went at it so hard in the beginning of the season, that the company I work for finally realized that females have endurance, and pay attention to detail, even if we lack brute strength. So they hired two more females. l feel half my age! Now this website is a hobby, but I still spend around an hour a day here, to unwind.

How are you doing?

Im well. The Summer has been great. Anyway. What do you think. Are people actually addicted to the internet, or is it just a fad.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2016 7:17:25 PM
At 8/6/2016 4:01:19 PM, inferno wrote:

How are you doing?

Im well. The Summer has been great. Anyway. What do you think. Are people actually addicted to the internet, or is it just a fad.
Some may be addicted - while others periodically allow it to distract them from tangible activities. Pokemon Go is definitely a fad, but at least it's getting people out and about.
Archaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 8:53:26 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 8/6/2016 4:01:19 PM, inferno wrote:

How are you doing?

There are so many things on internet that it is difficult to say it is addictive. I see it more as a necessity. You have to specify what thing on internet can be addictive, either games, social media, pornography, etc.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 9:08:56 PM
Posted: 2 months ago

Huh, I started a mowing business this summer. Nice to see you are still hanging around Emmarie. It feels great knowing you worked hard and did such a good job at the end of the day.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.