Hydrogen vs Electric vs Other

Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 3:08:21 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
What do y'all think.

Internal combustion is still the most convenient, highest range, affordable, and cool, but also the most polluting, and least efficient.

Hybrids - They should be awesome, but they just aren't yet, not at an affordable price. Decent efficiency at a good price. The most cost effective option for people that drive a lot.

Fuel cells are the most efficient, have a longer range (over 100-300+ miles) then electric, and are middle of the road when it comes to affordability. I'm really excited to see how this tech progresses, as its already way ahead of any electric alternative as a commuter car.

Electrics, well? You can charge them in your home, so that's pretty cool. They have really high performance to on the really expensive models. You have to sacrifice an arm and a leg to get any range though, so if you are a commoner like myself you'd only own your battery electric as a grocery getter, and require a secondary vehicle for any trips, or awesome adventures. I wouldn't mind having an BEV, but for the money I think I'd go elsewhere until batteries get cheaper.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 2:06:38 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
Buy an electric car and one of those generators that looks like a small trailer.
You can drive about town with electricity only. On a long trip hook up the generator.
wuliheron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 5:01:28 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
Its now possible for your car to include a small shoebox sized device that uses solar power to extract carbon from the atmosphere and make fuel while it sits in the parking lot. When money does all the driving nobody is steering and everybody is simply waiting for the fundamental technology to be explored before investing billions. Ideally, graphene supercapacitors would have close to the maximum storage capacity, be virtually indestructible, and can already be added to the inside of every panel on a car without adding significant weight. They are also as green as it gets and the equivalent of throwing leaves on the ground. I would estimate at least five years before they start coming on the market, but already physicists have discovered how to make incredibly powerful motors of any kind you can imagine dirt cheap.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 8:43:44 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 4/6/2016 2:06:38 AM, xus00HAY wrote:
Buy an electric car and one of those generators that looks like a small trailer.
You can drive about town with electricity only. On a long trip hook up the generator.

Actually that sounds like a great idea.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 4:42:19 AM
We always want a sexy high tech solution, but in the end it is going to come down to conservation. Smaller vehicles and smarter urban planning as opposed to smarter devices. That means designing cities so that driving becomes less necessary.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 6:39:49 PM
At 9/18/2016 4:42:19 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
We always want a sexy high tech solution, but in the end it is going to come down to conservation. Smaller vehicles and smarter urban planning as opposed to smarter devices. That means designing cities so that driving becomes less necessary.

I usually think of simple designs with high functionality and a solid maintenance procedure to be my top priorities in a vehicle. High Tech is largely a hype term in this industry, as any progression usually only arises from changes in pricing points as technology that has long existed becomes more affordable. Industrial Engineers I swear, are the most influential of the whole bunch when it comes to what makes it to your hands.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 7:24:40 PM
consider what it takes to make the batteries for electric cars, what countries the resources come from, impact on the environment, impact of disposal etc etc, electric isn't as good as you think looking at the whole picture, fuel cells with solar augmentation maybe the closest practical option to the standard combustion engine I think.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 4:27:06 AM
At 9/19/2016 7:24:40 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
consider what it takes to make the batteries for electric cars, what countries the resources come from, impact on the environment, impact of disposal etc etc, electric isn't as good as you think looking at the whole picture, fuel cells with solar augmentation maybe the closest practical option to the standard combustion engine I think.

The main thing fuel cells have got going against them is infrastructure. Japan our butts already on them though....You heard of the Toyota Mirai? Compared to electric its amazingly competitive in a smaller country where you don't have to worry about gas stations on the epic road trip.
mpu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 7:44:30 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
I have recently designed and built a solid state battery about the same size as a 45kg gas bottle with a storage capacity of 100kW. With my design, it is possible to build a 250kW battery, but of course the bigger the battery, the heavier for handling. But, can be trailerised as a 250kW would weigh 500kgs, which would be ideal on a huge farm which can be charged from solar, wind, etc. It is a single unit battery, not made up of thousand's of smaller batteries. And certainly not Lithium. The design is simple and cheap enough to construct, can be made both cylindrical and cubicle, especially for grid stabilization and back up storage. Has no expensive anodes and cathodes, has long life and low temperature usage, uses everyday 'off the shelf' components, and a built in inverter if necessary. Can be used standing upright or lying on it's side. I can see this being hugely competitive due to it's low cost and storage capacity. Considering what other manufacturers charge per kW, which appears to be collaborative due to their exuberant pricing structures, my battery will make it more affordable for everyday households, agricultural, commercial, industrial and grid storage and stabilization. Our expected retail per kW will be less than half of existing rates. It can also be charged while being used. Ideal for renewable energy applications where the load is on the battery, not the source. Also has the potential to be used in EV's. I am from NZ, but looking for a serious partner to manufacture in USA.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 12:48:45 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/9/2016 4:27:06 AM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 9/19/2016 7:24:40 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

The main thing fuel cells have got going against them is infrastructure. Japan our butts already on them though....You heard of the Toyota Mirai? Compared to electric its amazingly competitive in a smaller country where you don't have to worry about gas stations on the epic road trip.

I had not heard of that car, erf msrp $58,491 I think as alternative fuel cars lower in price, the standard internal combustion will get better gas mileage with reduced emissions to make the others only attractive to the environmentalist and wealthy.