Jump to topic:

Cyber warfare against Iran

RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2010 5:05:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Apparently collaboration of Western intelligence agencies engineered a super-worm that took control of Iranian centrifuges and set back their efforts to build a nuclear weapon by at least a year.

"The construction of the worm was so advanced, it was "like the arrival of an F-35 into a World War I battlefield," says Ralph Langner, the computer expert who was the first to sound the alarm about Stuxnet. Others have called it the first "weaponized" computer virus.

Simply put, Stuxnet is an incredibly advanced, undetectable computer worm that took years to construct and was designed to jump from computer to computer until it found the specific, protected control system that it aimed to destroy: Iran's nuclear enrichment program. ...

The worm was designed not to destroy the plants but to make them ineffective. By changing the rotation speeds, the bearings quickly wear out and the equipment has to be replaced and repaired. The speed changes also impact the quality of the uranium processed in the centrifuges creating technical problems that make the plant ineffective," he explained.

In other words the worm was designed to allow the Iranian program to continue but never succeed, and never to know why."

http://www.foxnews.com...
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2010 6:20:40 PM
How did the Iranians figure it out, if the worm was designed for them not to detect it?

Was it McAfee? Send them to Guantanamo. Jk, I'm seriously curious, if you know Roy...
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
applesnack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2010 6:45:00 PM
At 12/2/2010 6:20:40 PM, bluesteel wrote:
How did the Iranians figure it out, if the worm was designed for them not to detect it?

Was it McAfee? Send them to Guantanamo. Jk, I'm seriously curious, if you know Roy...

It was a security company "VirusBlokAda" They found it on an Iranian clients computer.