Jump to topic:

What do you think the future technology will

BearHee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2016 2:20:15 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
I think it will be interesting to collect different predictions of future technology. Just let your imagination explode! I believe someone can render a more realistic or insightful or fantastic prediction.
Below is mine:
I think there is at least four trends in technology development.
The first is that the tech will be more intelligent. The machines in the future will be smarter and further replace human labor, and we mankind will be relieved to do more original and creative works.
The second trend is toward more micro and precise level. Especially in manufacturing, we will have tinier products and undergo surgical procedure in far more precise level.
Another important direction is developing of technology for larger scaled task. In engineering, for example, there will be technology used to implement project of controlling climate. Or conservation of energy in huge scale. Or transporting millions of tons of sea water or flood water into the heart of desert. (Hopefully to my homeland Mongolian Gobi desert, to quench the thirsty dry land there, improve climate and people"s lives and strengthen ecological system.)
Finally the trend toward environmental friendly technology. This is perhaps the most important to us. With ever increasing concerns about our environment, the voice for a better home planet will definitely become louder, sooner or later. There will emerge technologies to establish a sustainable industrial system producing 100% recyclable and nonpolluting products. The plastics, poisonous batteries, and waste chemicals will gradually disappear. Although this sounds like an illusion, given the excesses and greediness of mankind, we human being must achieve this goal if we don"t want to forced to extinct by destroying our planet.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2016 4:24:38 PM
Futurists like to discuss Ray Kurzweil's concept of "the singularity." http://bigthink.com... Kurzweil has a good track record for predicting technology. He predicts that by 2029, blood cell sized computers will float through the human brain to accomplish an interface to cloud computing. He analogizes in to having a high-power smartphone to which you can communicate without typing. His basic point is that technology is expanding exponentially, because future improvements in technology use past technology to improve the rate of growth.

I think the biggest impact in the near term will be self-driving cars. Car companies claim that is five years away. Cars with self-braking to avoid collisions and that can follow traffic automatically on a freeway are already on the market. Self-driving cars solve problems with alcoholism and other drug abuse, will allow time spent commuting to be productive, and will give greater freedom to people who are too young, too old, or too infirm to drive. I thin it will encourage a more diffuse population, because commuting will be less stressful. If you want to go to a beach 500 miles away, you could program the car Friday night, go to sleep, and arrive Saturday morning.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2016 4:26:31 PM
At 6/6/2016 2:20:15 AM, BearHee wrote:
I think it will be interesting to collect different predictions of future technology. ...

Futurists like to discuss Ray Kurzweil's concept of "the singularity." http://bigthink.com... Kurzweil has a good track record for predicting technology. He predicts that by 2029, blood cell sized computers will float through the human brain to accomplish an interface to cloud computing. He analogizes in to having a high-power smartphone to which you can communicate without typing. His basic point is that technology is expanding exponentially, because future improvements in technology use past technology to improve the rate of growth.

I think the biggest impact in the near term will be self-driving cars. Car companies claim that is five years away. Cars with self-braking to avoid collisions and that can follow traffic automatically on a freeway are already on the market. Self-driving cars solve problems with alcoholism and other drug abuse, will allow time spent commuting to be productive, and will give greater freedom to people who are too young, too old, or too infirm to drive. I thin it will encourage a more diffuse population, because commuting will be less stressful. If you want to go to a beach 500 miles away, you could program the car Friday night, go to sleep, and arrive Saturday morning.
Rukado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2016 7:17:25 PM
In the next 10 to 30 years (depending on industry), technology will eliminate 90% of current jobs.
elatia.g
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2016 1:50:01 AM
Immersive holodecks, like in Star Trek. Instead of staring at movie characters and playing video games on a flat screen, you're actually immersed in a 3D environment and can interact with it as you do the real world.
BearHee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 3:42:29 AM
At 6/6/2016 4:24:38 PM, RoyLatham wrote:

Sorry for late post. I haven't visit this site because I'm too busy.
You depicted a exciting and promising near-future picture! Life with self-driving cars is fascinating!
BearHee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 3:48:02 AM
At 6/6/2016 4:24:38 PM, RoyLatham wrote:

I just feel excited when reading your post.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 6:34:34 AM
At 6/6/2016 7:17:25 PM, Rukado wrote:
In the next 10 to 30 years (depending on industry), technology will eliminate 90% of current jobs.

Around 1900, 90% of the population was employed in agriculture. Now, thanks to technology, it's less than 4%. 86% of the jobs were eliminated. Not necessarily a bad thing.
Rukado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 1:47:32 PM
At 6/12/2016 6:34:34 AM, RoyLatham wrote:

Around 1900, 90% of the population was employed in agriculture. Now, thanks to technology, it's less than 4%. 86% of the jobs were eliminated. Not necessarily a bad thing.

First the machines came for the farmers but there were so many other things people could do, if relieved from the burden of trying to avoid starvation. But, now the machines are coming for nearly every category of occupation.
elatia.g
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 11:42:56 PM
At 6/12/2016 1:47:32 PM, Rukado wrote:

First the machines came for the farmers but there were so many other things people could do, if relieved from the burden of trying to avoid starvation. But, now the machines are coming for nearly every category of occupation.

Worrisome indeed. In the next century, with so much work being automated, what will the average working person do for a living? Surely, the elites can't expect us to just go away and starve quietly while they outsource and automate all our work.
BearHee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2016 12:56:29 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/12/2016 11:42:56 PM, elatia.g wrote:

Worrisome indeed. In the next century, with so much work being automated, what will the average working person do for a living? Surely, the elites can't expect us to just go away and starve quietly while they outsource and automate all our work.

there will be more intense competition between people in their ability and for resources.
BearHee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2016 1:14:27 PM
At 6/12/2016 11:42:56 PM, elatia.g wrote:

there will be more intense competition between people in their ability and for resources. Sometimes, the reality is harsh and pressing.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 9:58:55 PM
It is quite obvious that machines have gotten more stupid and will continue to do so.
If I had a car that I could install my computer in to to replace the human driver, I would stay outside of it, far away. My computer crashes so many times, I would not want to be it's 1st victim.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 1:48:49 AM
In modern times you have to compete for a job.
If you are in business the key to success is lay off as many of your lazy, overpaid, overweight American employees as you can.
If you are successful enough you can earn enough money to move out of the middle class and become upper class. While you are doing this, middle-class people are moving out of the middle class and becoming poor.
America seems to be mostly middle class now, but that is because there are so many adults who are living with their parents.
Of course these things are going on outside of America too, so many foreigners are forced to sneak into America without a visa and steal the jobs Americans don't want.
We need illegal aliens because they will serve as workers who are not citizens and create a kind of slave class who can't vote and can be deported when they can't work anymore or need to be put in jail.
Flatlander
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2016 5:26:38 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
Self-Driving cars by itself will increase the amount of unemployed by millions.

Truck Drivers, Car Salesman, Taxi Drivers, Car Insurance Companies, Car Repair Companies, Auto Retail Shops, anyone who owns a Gas Station (automated cars will not come inside and buy snacks), and so on.

Basically 5% or more of people in western countries will be out of a job.

Now, do I think those 5% will find new jobs? Yes, easily, the job market is always changing.

Even if every job imaginable is done by robots. People will own those robots.

It probably won't be that simple. But basically entertainment/creative industry will increase, and the manual labor industry will decrease.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2016 2:52:07 AM
Someday they will make beautiful robotic sex partners and men will run out the door to buy them.
In the near future there will be a 5 wheel drive sport utility vehicle.
Hydraulics will lift the rear wheels off the ground, the spare tire mounted transversely on the back will lower. Being supported by 3 wheels , the front wheels will rotate in opposite directions. The vehicle will rotate on an axis between the front wheels, thus enabling the SUV to turn 90 degrees. We will finally have a big SUV that will be easy to parallel park.
All those cars with all wheel drive that really have only 4 wheel drive will look stupid.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2016 5:49:21 AM
At 6/6/2016 7:17:25 PM, Rukado wrote:

I doubt it, but it sure sounds nice.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
aanundo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2016 9:54:51 AM
How will people earn money if most of the jobs disappear because of automation?
This is a challenge, and may be an answer is the society we have in Scandinavia.
More than 50% of the wages goes back to the society and create jobs in schools, hospitals, etc.
Lot of jobs will be created when we take the oceans in use.
Another debate "Multi-use of the oceans" is how this can be done.
The world need clean energy and more food and 70% of the surface of the world is oceans.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2016 1:17:01 PM
There will be a larger need for more police officers, security guards and prison guards.
The majority will have nothing to do except try to steal the stuff they can't buy.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2016 2:12:38 PM
At 11/4/2016 9:54:51 AM, aanundo wrote:
How will people earn money if most of the jobs disappear because of automation?
This is a challenge, and may be an answer is the society we have in Scandinavia.
More than 50% of the wages goes back to the society and create jobs in schools, hospitals, etc.
Lot of jobs will be created when we take the oceans in use.
Another debate "Multi-use of the oceans" is how this can be done.
The world need clean energy and more food and 70% of the surface of the world is oceans.

In economics, try to think in terms of how efficiently the product can be made and brought to you, not in terms of how much money you make. When your job is displaced (meaning you'll find work elsewhere) because of more efficient process that is a good thing. Whatever your career holds that product will be cheaper, and you will be in effect, richer.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.