Jump to topic:

Game suggestion

jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 2:47:21 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't like modern warfare or black ops online play. I don't like first person or run and gun. I tried, got to be ok (killing as much as dying) but I get bored. Love sniping. But the maps suck to me. My sons likes it, he is level twenty something in a matter of hours.

Can anyone suggest a online multiplayer with more team work, strategy and bigger maps? If there is such a thing.

Thanks
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 2:56:25 AM
At 12/27/2010 2:47:21 AM, jharry wrote:
I don't like modern warfare or black ops online play. I don't like first person or run and gun. I tried, got to be ok (killing as much as dying) but I get bored. Love sniping. But the maps suck to me. My sons likes it, he is level twenty something in a matter of hours.

Can anyone suggest a online multiplayer with more team work, strategy and bigger maps? If there is such a thing.

Thanks

EVE Online. It's an MMORPG, I don't think you have to pay a monthly subscription, and it's so team-centric and gigantic that I think you'll be satisfied.

If that doesn't suit your fancy, you'll need to be more specific.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 3:12:04 AM
At 12/27/2010 2:56:25 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Thanks

EVE Online. It's an MMORPG, I don't think you have to pay a monthly subscription, and it's so team-centric and gigantic that I think you'll be satisfied.

MMORPG? That sounds good. I just tried mw2 3rd person death match. I liked to moving and shooting but still run and gun. And there is no co-op. Other team was, I would waste two of them but the third would get me every time. I don't like running around an acre of space jus shooting everything as fast as possible. Boring to me. I like the special ops games better, and campaign. Thanks Cody, I will try it. Is it a game I need to buy? Money is not big deal so subscription is fine if unlike it n
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 3:16:32 AM
At 12/27/2010 3:12:04 AM, jharry wrote:

Thanks

MMORPG? That sounds good. I just tried mw2 3rd person death match. I liked to moving and shooting but still run and gun. And there is no co-op. Other team was, I would waste two of them but the third would get me every time. I don't like running around an acre of space jus shooting everything as fast as possible. Boring to me. I like the special ops games better, and campaign. Thanks Cody, I will try it. Is it a game I need to buy? Money is not big deal so subscription is fine if unlike it n

Yeah, you'll have to buy the full game, but, like you said, not a huge deal.

Personally, I think you ought to do a little research on your own to see whether it's something you would like. Based on what you said, I think you will since A) team strategy is a huge part of the gargantuan inter-corporation battles that go on, and B) though there's a huge focus on combat in the game, it's not in run-n-gun form.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 3:22:10 AM
At 12/27/2010 3:16:32 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 12/27/2010 3:12:04 AM, jharry wrote:

Thanks

Yeah, you'll have to buy the full game, but, like you said, not a huge deal.

Personally, I think you ought to do a little research on your own to see whether it's something you would like. Based on what you said, I think you will since A) team strategy is a huge part of the gargantuan inter-corporation battles that go on, and B) though there's a huge focus on combat in the game, it's not in run-n-gun form.

Cool. I love the graphics and realism of mw2. I like the helicopters, predators and explosions and bullets whizzing in door way and all. I don't care for the Halo futuristic look, I do prefer the modern weapons and scenes.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 3:26:36 AM
Just looked at eve. Not sure if it will be my cup of tea. Thanks though. I'm looking for something just like mw2 but less kiddie run and gun. I do thank you for the suggestion though
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 3:42:07 AM
Teamwork doesn't really come naturally to most games. You want teamwork, you have to find a clan that fits your schedule and make teamwork. I know such clans can be found in America's Army 2 (no experience with 3).

(BTW, Eve is 15 bucks a month Cody, like most MMOs. If you play a lot you can eventually stop paying because they let you trade game time codes for in game currency. Last I heard they run about 400 million Isk-- average people farming missions make about 10-25 million an hour or so once they've been in the game about a year training for a battleship to do Level 4 missions in, although there are people who make much more playing the markets or doing R&D or whatever.

Everything after the 15 bucks a month take with a grain of salt, I only played for a month or two. Too much hurry up and wait).
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 3:48:07 AM
took a bit for what run n' gun specifically meant to register.

I think the Battlefield series lets you pilot helicopters, tanks, etc. No idea how it does on the rest of your criteria.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 3:55:55 AM
At 12/27/2010 3:42:07 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Teamwork doesn't really come naturally to most games. You want teamwork, you have to find a clan that fits your schedule and make teamwork. I know such clans can be found in America's Army 2 (no experience with 3).

(BTW, Eve is 15 bucks a month Cody, like most MMOs. If you play a lot you can eventually stop paying because they let you trade game time codes for in game currency. Last I heard they run about 400 million Isk-- average people farming missions make about 10-25 million an hour or so once they've been in the game about a year training for a battleship to do Level 4 missions in, although there are people who make much more playing the markets or doing R&D or whatever.

Everything after the 15 bucks a month take with a grain of salt, I only played for a month or two. Too much hurry up and wait).

Clan. I saw that while playing. They seemed to work together but it was hard to tell. Too much just running around for me. And some douche running around with knife. I bet a smoked him a half dozen times but 10 seconds later there he was again. I started hunting him, about the only interesting thing so far. And the map is so small it hard to really do much team movement or anything. We ain't had it long, maybe I will find something like. Hard to tell, so much I don't know. Third person shooter? Not sure what I'm looking at when I do a search. I remember a friend of mine had some kind of Clancy game where u get make my guys do what i wanted but having someone playing with me instead would be muck cooler.

Army of two?
Gears of war?
Americas army 2
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 4:12:10 AM
At 12/27/2010 3:55:55 AM, jharry wrote:
Army of two?
Gears of war?
Americas army 2

Army of Two: meh. Seriously meh

Gears of War: That could be a possibility. It is a 3rd person shooter, and certainly include a bit more strategy. Considering the majority of the gametypes, you don't respawn. You and your 3 (or if its Gears of war 2, 4) teammates best get those weapons and set up, because once one guy dies, thats it until the round finishes. One thing to think about is that the 1st game doesn't have too large of an audience since the second one was released, but the second ones multiplayer kind of blows, so if you did try the game, play the 1st.

Never played Americas Army 2.

Left4Dead 1&2 were great games (I thought). They are available on 360, ps3, and PC. Feel free to do a bit of research on those. Campaign allows cooperative(up to 4), and there is a competitive 4 vs. 4 mode as well.
"Bullsh!t is unavoidable whenever circumstance require someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about."
— Harry G. Frankfurt
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 4:18:54 AM
At 12/27/2010 4:12:10 AM, Sobriquet wrote:
At 12/27/2010 3:55:55 AM, jharry wrote:
Army of two?
Gears of war?
Americas army 2

Army of Two: meh. Seriously meh

Gears of War: That could be a possibility. It is a 3rd person shooter, and certainly include a bit more strategy. Considering the majority of the gametypes, you don't respawn. You and your 3 (or if its Gears of war 2, 4) teammates best get those weapons and set up, because once one guy dies, thats it until the round finishes. One thing to think about is that the 1st game doesn't have too large of an audience since the second one was released, but the second ones multiplayer kind of blows, so if you did try the game, play the 1st.

Never played Americas Army 2.

Left4Dead 1&2 were great games (I thought). They are available on 360, ps3, and PC. Feel free to do a bit of research on those. Campaign allows cooperative(up to 4), and there is a competitive 4 vs. 4 mode as well.

I'm thought the no respawn would slow em down but i was wrong on mw2. Rounds are short enough i guess. I heard gears of war was good. I love mw2 graphics and gameplay, just not the run and gun. Thank you for the suggestions a advice.
darceem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 8:06:23 AM
Epic Mickey if you're looking for something adventure-y and fun. And Saints Row 2. Now yes, Saints Row 2 is a run and gun, Grand Theft Auto-esque game. However it's so clever you forget it. A lot of shooting but also tons of fun mini quests and a fun plot. My final argument is one of your mission tiers is to spray houses and property with feces with a snobby French anarchist.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 9:03:27 AM
At 12/27/2010 8:06:23 AM, darceem wrote:
Epic Mickey if you're looking for something adventure-y and fun. And Saints Row 2. Now yes, Saints Row 2 is a run and gun, Grand Theft Auto-esque game. However it's so clever you forget it. A lot of shooting but also tons of fun mini quests and a fun plot. My final argument is one of your mission tiers is to spray houses and property with feces with a snobby French anarchist.

Those two are a bit to much for me. If I won't let my boy play it I stay away from it to. Thank you for the suggestions though.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 1:27:11 PM

Thanks
PlayStation 3 or anything else?
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 1:39:50 PM
At 12/27/2010 1:27:11 PM, Mirza wrote:

Thanks

No my boy picked the xbox 360. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks. I'm looking for something just like mw2 but less run and gun.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 3:37:11 PM
At 12/27/2010 1:39:50 PM, jharry wrote:

Thanks

No my boy picked the xbox 360. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks. I'm looking for something just like mw2 but less run and gun.

MW2 = First-person run-and-gun. I'm not sure how you can want something like it while also wanting something that isn't run-and-gun.

Like someone else mentioned, you might look into Left 4 Dead (2) or something. Other than that, I really don't get what kind of game you're after.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 4:12:43 PM
At 12/27/2010 3:37:11 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Thanks

MW2 = First-person run-and-gun. I'm not sure how you can want something like it while also wanting something that isn't run-and-gun.

Like someone else mentioned, you might look into Left 4 Dead (2) or something. Other than that, I really don't get what kind of game you're after.

Well I like the graphics, explosions, tracer rounds whizzing in door as you jump back. The air strikes and predators. I like the multiplayer set up on mw2. But I would rather play more tactical and in more organized teams instead if the run and gun all the time. If I could find that on mw2 I'd be happy as a puppy with two peckers.

But I haven't seen that yet. Played all the rooms and they are all the same. Run fast and shoot everything that moves. I get bored with that.
I thought there might be a similar game out there but with less run and gun.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 8:40:57 PM
I'll second the Left 4 Dead 2 suggestion. If you want team-centric first person action, look no further.
It's you and three other players trying to get from point a to point b through areas filled with running zombies and other assorted nasties (Hitting a tank with a molotov cocktail is priceless). There is also a mode where you get to play on the undead's team trying to kill the survivors.

My favourite first-person shooter of all time. (Second place goes to team fortress 2)
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 11:04:23 PM
EVE Online is for PC.

I have heard that the new Medal of Honor has less action and more strategy because it is more realistic. It has been called "boring" by some critiques, but some soldiers, I think, have praised it for resembling real life operations.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2010 11:18:10 PM
At 12/27/2010 11:04:23 PM, Mirza wrote:
some soldiers, I think, have praised it for resembling real life operations.
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2010 7:26:46 AM
I bought Battlefied 2 Bad Company, the newest Medal of Honor (I think) and Gears of War 2. I haven't got to play any of them yet. I figured it would be easier to just buy em and try em all out. Thank you all for the suggestions.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 5:48:27 AM
No one said Warcraft?!

Shocking.

Harry, it sounds as though Warcraft is precisely what you're looking for.

Less shooting, much more melee, constant strategy, cooperative gaming, conversation, and customization.

It's for PC, though. But, it appears that most of the best games are on PC these days, anyway.

It's like, gaming systems are for everything but sitting down and gaming these days.
THE_OPINIONATOR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 10:51:00 AM
If the MOH game you bought has a modern story line and weaponry then its the newest one, there first game produced in the modern era of war.
My Blog: Life Through The Eyes of a Christian

http://bloggingforjchrist.blogspot.com...

Life Through The Eyes of a Christian Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com...
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 11:43:24 AM
At 12/29/2010 5:48:27 AM, Ren wrote:
No one said Warcraft?!

Shocking.

Harry, it sounds as though Warcraft is precisely what you're looking for.

Less shooting, much more melee, constant strategy, cooperative gaming, conversation, and customization.

It's for PC, though. But, it appears that most of the best games are on PC these days, anyway.

It's like, gaming systems are for everything but sitting down and gaming these days.

That sounds pretty good. I don't think my computer could handle the graphics though. And I do prefer the modern type stuff. I think I would have to get with a group of like minded people that enjoy this type of gaming. I don't think I have enough time to invest that kind of organization to play a game. Maybe I will luck up and find a group. Thank you for the suggestion. I have learned a lot about all the gaming out there.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 11:46:00 AM
At 12/29/2010 10:51:00 AM, THE_OPINIONATOR wrote:
If the MOH game you bought has a modern story line and weaponry then its the newest one, there first game produced in the modern era of war.

It is modern. The front has a guy standing with an AR. Beard hat and glasses. I played it for a while last night. I like it. Not online though. Can't play it like the other ones, if I ran out and jsut started shooting I wouldn't last long. Had to use cover and the guys with me more. More my speed. Also a lot of room for flanking.
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 1:45:09 PM

Thanks

Try being less of a pri!ck clinging to a sniper rifle, learn to check your corners and auto-knife whenever making a blind turn.

Failing that, try playing MAG. I play SVER, so don't go anywhere near that team, try Raven, I hear they're always on the look out for faggo-snipers, I said snipers.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2010 2:57:12 PM
At 12/29/2010 1:45:09 PM, Veridas wrote:

Try being less of a pri!ck clinging to a sniper rifle, learn to check your corners and auto-knife whenever making a blind turn.

Actually I have played with sniper rifle one time, and I loved it. Except for the lack of cover. I can see how the kids that run around the entire game with no aim or reason wouldn't like a sniper. I don't like to play that way. Boring to me, mind numbing I guess I would call it.

Failing that, try playing MAG. I play SVER, so don't go anywhere near that team, try Raven, I hear they're always on the look out for faggo-snipers, I said snipers.

That does look like a good game. My boy got the xbox and it looks like PS3 only game. But, since I now know how much you hate snipers I may get a PS3 and MAG just to hunt you down. :).

I have done the most sniping in special ops. Those are my favorite games. I played the first one a dozen times. I like to snipe only, no air missle thing. A couple of clamores and just start picking em off. The next time you get owned by a sniper I hope you will think of me.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2010 9:00:39 AM
http://www.debate.org...
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.