Jump to topic:

Note 7 vs iPhone 7

Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 12:55:54 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
Which phone should I upgrade to? My contract on my iPhone 6 is done and so I'm due for a hardware upgrade... I like the user friendly iOS but the battery life of the iPhone just isn't as good as what Samsung provides. Are there any other good contenders in the race I am over looking?
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2016 4:00:24 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 7/29/2016 12:55:54 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Which phone should I upgrade to? My contract on my iPhone 6 is done and so I'm due for a hardware upgrade... I like the user friendly iOS but the battery life of the iPhone just isn't as good as what Samsung provides. Are there any other good contenders in the race I am over looking?

Don't really care what you buy as long as its new, although having lived tried apple for some time, I'm ready to switch brands. I'll probably need to to upgrade my iphone 4s some day and new phone buyers keep the prices down in my market :) Go with a samsung for better performance, with a steeper learning curve. Go with apple fur dummy proof design, and a more controlling company.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 1:12:28 PM

Interestingly, a lot of water has gone under the bridge since your post.
I believe that that the iPhone 7 has better battery life than before but the difference compared with Samsung was minimal anyway and in general use has never been a major issue.

The fact now of course is that Samsung, in order to beat Apple have well and truly "cooked their goose" over the battery issue.

Stick with the iPhone.
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 10:45:20 PM

Screw the iPhone, it's 99% fashion and 1% technical innovation. I have a Microsoft Lumia 950XL.

It has a better display, higher resolution display, a higher resolution camera (20 MPx v 12 MPx), supports two SIM cards, supports expandable storage (microSD etc), user replaceable battery, a higher power density battery, FM radio, sstd USB 3 connector, etc etc etc.

See:

http://www.phonearena.com...
Dujec
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2016 4:26:05 AM
Posted: 1 month ago

I've been looking around to replace my iPhone 6 too. I'm leaning toward a galaxy 7/edge. The Galaxys have a higher usage battery life going by the Verizon site specs and the wireless charging is also a big plus. I really don't want to have to deal with the adapter for headphones. As Quadrunner mentioned, I'm sick of apple being so controlling with their devices.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2016 8:45:45 PM
At 10/15/2016 4:26:05 AM, Dujec wrote:

I've been looking around to replace my iPhone 6 too. I'm leaning toward a galaxy 7/edge. The Galaxys have a higher usage battery life going by the Verizon site specs and the wireless charging is also a big plus. I really don't want to have to deal with the adapter for headphones. As Quadrunner mentioned, I'm sick of apple being so controlling with their devices.

I've since upgraded to a minty white Samsung Note 4 and I'm loving it, although after the last IOS download, anything would really be better. It runs so smooth has great resolution, good power, excellent battery life, upgradeable memory, easily replaceable battery pack, more durable design. Haven't had a single issue with it, and it took me like 30 minutes to get the hang of things, as electronics tend to be pretty intuitive for me. I'd assume a newer galaxy would be just great. The only issue I have with it is that sound quality seems to change with volume, and the output isn't that high, requiring me to run full blast into devices to get some decent signal. A doc would undoubtedly eliminate that issue.

I bought this purely because its in great condition, was at a good deal, and I want to ditch my Iphone while the battery is still good and its still worth selling. I know how to work on them and can keep my phones running nearly indefinitely compared with the average consumer, but this new IOS just killed my iphone, and the music app is just stupid now. Maybe I should jailbreak it.

Samsung 7's have had kind of a fiery reputation. If you are the type to sign your soul over to the contract, I'm sure they'd be great. If you plan on owning your phone their resale value is not guaranteed. Samsung has been backing its product pretty well, but even the replacements have been making the news for fires.
Dujec
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2016 2:25:10 AM
At 10/15/2016 8:45:45 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

I've since upgraded to a minty white Samsung Note 4 and I'm loving it, although after the last IOS download, anything would really be better. It runs so smooth has great resolution, good power, excellent battery life, upgradeable memory, easily replaceable battery pack, more durable design. Haven't had a single issue with it, and it took me like 30 minutes to get the hang of things, as electronics tend to be pretty intuitive for me. I'd assume a newer galaxy would be just great. The only issue I have with it is that sound quality seems to change with volume, and the output isn't that high, requiring me to run full blast into devices to get some decent signal. A doc would undoubtedly eliminate that issue.

I bought this purely because its in great condition, was at a good deal, and I want to ditch my Iphone while the battery is still good and its still worth selling. I know how to work on them and can keep my phones running nearly indefinitely compared with the average consumer, but this new IOS just killed my iphone, and the music app is just stupid now. Maybe I should jailbreak it.

Samsung 7's have had kind of a fiery reputation. If you are the type to sign your soul over to the contract, I'm sure they'd be great. If you plan on owning your phone their resale value is not guaranteed. Samsung has been backing its product pretty well, but even the replacements have been making the news for fires.

Yeah, I heard Colbert joking about a replacement that burst into flames on an airplane but I thought this was just the notes; are the S7s ticking bombs too?

My soul is locked to a contract (jokes on them the man downstairs has dibs ;) and I almost went with a pay as you go type plan last time. luckily my i6 is worth enough to basically pay for a replacement. I have no idea how to work on my phones... I tried to take apart my i4s to replace the screen and it's still in a pile of parts.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2016 1:17:59 PM
At 10/16/2016 2:25:10 AM, Dujec wrote:

Yeah, I heard Colbert joking about a replacement that burst into flames on an airplane but I thought this was just the notes; are the S7s ticking bombs too?

My soul is locked to a contract (jokes on them the man downstairs has dibs ;) and I almost went with a pay as you go type plan last time. luckily my i6 is worth enough to basically pay for a replacement. I have no idea how to work on my phones... I tried to take apart my i4s to replace the screen and it's still in a pile of parts.

S7's are considered safe at this time. All I've heard is a single incident in the Philippines which is not anything to worry about, just following the Samsung fire trend more then likely. Fire is always a risk on the quest for energy density in general, and in lithium ion specifically.

Even the Note 7 is probably quite reliable statistically, but due to the nature of the problem, its a pretty big deal. I'm leaning towards the issue being a combination of a poor battery supplier, and Samsung's fast charging system, Samsung's design acting as a catalyst to a problem that shouldn't have existed in this high of quantity, but probably happens throughout the industry. Its likely that the battery is just made to thin for its spacial, and/or heat and fast charging requirements. It could be difficult to prove due to the improbability of reproducing a random defect to the odds of dozens in a million.

I'm not really sure why they can't find a little thicker battery, and design little thicker backplate around them to maintain the same capacity, maybe use a less aggressive charger to keep the heat down. I guess that extra half a millimeter fraction and fraction of an ounce will make all the difference to those trendy shoppers....no one officially, definitively knows yet to my knowledge, which is astounding from a company with the resources Samsung should have access to. The funny thing about all this is that if they'd stuck with the past designs instead of greedily switching to integrated batteries its likely there wouldn't be an issue to begin with, and if there was, they could just ship new batteries to everyone. That's just the proper way to make a battery powered device.

Samsung has historically been one of my favorite companies, and their way of owning up the issue, however logical, is the right thing to do. In recent years it seems they've been having trouble in a variety of areas and I've lost confidence in them prior to these phone fires. We've all seen this before. They build a great product, and cheap out on some stupid thing which hinders the entire package despite massive profit margins (millions of phones at over 200% mark up)....That's incorporated business I guess.

Still loving my Note! I think its the best phone I've ever had the pleasure of handling. I'll compare to my friend's crapple iphone 6 sometime when I get board to see if its still competitive. Should be an interesting matchup that hasn't been covered by a hundred reviewers yet I'd think.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2016 1:35:08 PM
At 10/16/2016 1:17:59 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 10/16/2016 2:25:10 AM, Dujec wrote:

S7's are considered safe at this time. All I've heard is a single incident in the Philippines which is not anything to worry about, just following the Samsung fire trend more then likely. Fire is always a risk on the quest for energy density in general, and in lithium ion specifically.

Even the Note 7 is probably quite reliable statistically, but due to the nature of the problem, its a pretty big deal. I'm leaning towards the issue being a combination of a poor battery supplier, and Samsung's fast charging system, Samsung's design acting as a catalyst to a problem that shouldn't have existed in this high of quantity, but probably happens throughout the industry. Its likely that the battery is just made to thin for its spacial, and/or heat and fast charging requirements. It could be difficult to prove due to the improbability of reproducing a random defect to the odds of dozens in a million.

I'm not really sure why they can't find a little thicker battery, and design little thicker backplate around them to maintain the same capacity, maybe use a less aggressive charger to keep the heat down. I guess that extra half a millimeter fraction and fraction of an ounce will make all the difference to those trendy shoppers....no one officially, definitively knows yet to my knowledge, which is astounding from a company with the resources Samsung should have access to. The funny thing about all this is that if they'd stuck with the past designs instead of greedily switching to integrated batteries its likely there wouldn't be an issue to begin with, and if there was, they could just ship new batteries to everyone. That's just the proper way to make a battery powered device.

Samsung has historically been one of my favorite companies, and their way of owning up the issue, however logical, is the right thing to do. In recent years it seems they've been having trouble in a variety of areas and I've lost confidence in them prior to these phone fires. We've all seen this before. They build a great product, and cheap out on some stupid thing which hinders the entire package despite massive profit margins (millions of phones at over 200% mark up)....That's incorporated business I guess.

Still loving my Note! I think its the best phone I've ever had the pleasure of handling. I'll compare to my friend's crapple iphone 6 sometime when I get board to see if its still competitive. Should be an interesting matchup that hasn't been covered by a hundred reviewers yet I'd think.

I should put it a better way, I'm historically a fan of Samsung products from past years. The company itself and its practices, values etc... I don't have knowledge on.