Jump to topic:

Headphones

Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 1:35:34 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
What are your favorite headphones for enjoying music?

I don't use an amplified source for my music. I use and enjoy the Sennheiser Momentum Over the Ear headphones for this configuration I have not been able to find a cleaner, more realistic sounding set of headphones.

I know it's personal preference. Any other thoughts?
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 9:23:55 PM
At 8/31/2016 1:35:34 AM, Throwback wrote:

I don't use an amplified source for my music. I use and enjoy the Sennheiser Momentum Over the Ear headphones for this configuration I have not been able to find a cleaner, more realistic sounding set of headphones.

Beats
missmozart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 9:28:24 PM

Denon
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 8:21:53 PM
At 9/2/2016 9:23:55 PM, fire_wings wrote:

Beats

Word on the street is, beats are very similar to Bose. Cheap manufacturing with state of the Art marketing. My favorite headphones are an old unbranded pair of ear buds I got with an expensive MP3 back when the original Ipod shuffle was coming out. Although they aren't noise cancelling or anything they have Absolutely amazing performance. WOW. Guess I got lucky with that one.

I've never found an equal and don't care to since I do most of my listening on speakers. I've talked to people who went the headphone route, and compared with my speakers, (which cost less) they were blown away, not because of the fidelity, but the realism of listening through your music the way it is produced. If you do most of your listening inside, I'd highly recommend doing your research, and buying a simple used 2 channel stereo amplifier (or receiver) with few features, and hooking it up to 4 matched speakers, or only 2 if you'd like to start smaller. Its a lot steeper learning curve then just plugging your headphones in and seeing if you like them, but a lot more rewarding in my opinion.

On the amplifier I really stress BUY USED. They were pretty much perfected in the 1960's and everything since then has just been adding features, reducing weight, and making them cheaper. You've got about 50 years of equipment to choose from. All you need is a good reliable, heavy stereo amp. You do NOT need a modern Home Theater system to enjoy music.

For a new guy, I'd recommend to focus not on top of the line, but more modern speakers.

I'd be happy to help you out with the basics if you ever want to go that route. With some work, patience, and a little luck You can get a very solid starter system for +-100 dollars but that usually wouldn't happen overnight. (That's amp, speakers, and everything) If you wanted a quicker route with less messing around you could probably get headphone rivaling sound for 200-400 in a very reasonable time frame, with research.

Don't just take my word for it though. Different people hear things differently. The main thing is that you need to educate yourself. We live in a time of low quality music and lot of people don't do that, and they don't even know what they are missing....or giving away :)
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 8:22:43 PM
At 9/13/2016 8:21:53 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 9/2/2016 9:23:55 PM, fire_wings wrote:

Beats

Word on the street is, beats are very similar to Bose. Cheap manufacturing with state of the Art marketing. My favorite headphones are an old unbranded pair of ear buds I got with an expensive MP3 back when the original Ipod shuffle was coming out. Although they aren't noise cancelling or anything they have Absolutely amazing performance. WOW. Guess I got lucky with that one.

I've never found an equal and don't care to since I do most of my listening on speakers. I've talked to people who went the headphone route, and compared with my speakers, (which cost less) they were blown away, not because of the fidelity, but the realism of listening through your music the way it is produced. If you do most of your listening inside, I'd highly recommend doing your research, and buying a simple used 2 channel stereo amplifier (or receiver) with few features, and hooking it up to 4 matched speakers, or only 2 if you'd like to start smaller. Its a lot steeper learning curve then just plugging your headphones in and seeing if you like them, but a lot more rewarding in my opinion.

On the amplifier I really stress BUY USED. They were pretty much perfected in the 1960's and everything since then has just been adding features, reducing weight, and making them cheaper. You've got about 50 years of equipment to choose from. All you need is a good reliable, heavy stereo amp. You do NOT need a modern Home Theater system to enjoy music.

For a new guy, I'd recommend to focus not on top of the line, but more modern speakers.

I'd be happy to help you out with the basics if you ever want to go that route. With some work, patience, and a little luck You can get a very solid starter system for +-100 dollars but that usually wouldn't happen overnight. (That's amp, speakers, and everything) If you wanted a quicker route with less messing around you could probably get headphone rivaling sound for 200-400 in a very reasonable time frame, with research.

Don't just take my word for it though. Different people hear things differently. The main thing is that you need to educate yourself. We live in a time of low quality music and lot of people don't do that, and they don't even know what they are missing....or giving away :)

I didn't even remember this thread.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 8:28:50 PM
At 9/13/2016 8:22:43 PM, fire_wings wrote:

I didn't even remember this thread.

I meant to direct that more towards the OP. Do I need to quote them for that?
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 9:02:07 PM

If you feel you are headphones are "That good" its time to start looking at your source. What are you using to feed into them?
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 4:10:44 PM
At 9/13/2016 9:02:07 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

If you feel you are headphones are "That good" its time to start looking at your source. What are you using to feed into them?

I see where you're going, and I hear what he said. Whether the source or the EQ, headphones are designed to favor a purpose, when considering the higher quality phones over the common. Some are geared to enhance the bass, which is better for the DJ. Something cleaner is needed for production purposes.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2016 3:46:47 AM
At 9/15/2016 4:10:44 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 9/13/2016 9:02:07 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

I see where you're going, and I hear what he said. Whether the source or the EQ, headphones are designed to favor a purpose, when considering the higher quality phones over the common. Some are geared to enhance the bass, which is better for the DJ. Something cleaner is needed for production purposes.

Well, he's no longer a member here so I guess this thread now belongs to the people. That said, I was going to see what he was running to check if he had a proper digital analog converter. Often times, the AUX jack out of a computer is a limiting factor. My friend spent hundreds buying and selling on a quest to find realistic sound through his amplification before even looking at his source material and I've since learned from his mistakes. I mean with headphones, its kind of nice. You can just pick them up and bring them right to the store and try them out on different components.

Another thing people do, is streaming low quality music or using cheap mp3's. It might sound as good as the radio, but without the knowledge that you are missing out, you could also be chasing your tail instead of just changing your habits a little.
earlene
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2017 11:08:23 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
I always fall asleep wearing my Sennheiser 580's powered by a Creek OBH-11 listening to random play on two Sony jukebox changers.Great sound and comfort.
Sui_Generis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2017 7:01:50 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
Nowadays most decent motherboards are perfectly fine as DACs.

http://www.tomshardware.com...

(Note: I'm not guaranteeing you have a decent motherboard)

Around town I wear Apple Earpods because I can't stand the stethoscope feeling of rubber-sealed IEMs....

The past ~7 years I've used Audio Technica M50's as my computer and serious music headphone, although I literally JUST bought the AKG K7xx from MassDrop. (unless you want to get picky, they're identical to the K702)

As far as amps go, the M50s have never really needed one. I just bought a Schiit Magni 2 Uber though, for my desktop. I also just last month bought Micca PB42x bookshelf speakers for my computer as well.

https://www.amazon.com...
https://www.massdrop.com...
http://schiit.com...
https://www.amazon.com...

Also it's outdated info now to say that Bose and Beats are crap headphones... they are overpriced, but they are not crap. And a lot of Bose headphones are really competitive, even. I haven't heard anyone contradict Bose QuietComfort as the singular best option for active noise cancelling headphones.
"How true it is that words are but vague shadows of the volumes we mean. Little audible links they are, chaining together great inaudible feelings and purposes."

"Nobody wants to be in your sig." ~Emilrose
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2017 4:27:18 PM
Posted: 3 months ago

Bose noise cancelling phones, worth every cent of the hefty price tag.
jeremyrayyy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2017 2:54:10 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
My favorite head phones are Sony MDR-1000X. They are pretty cool looking and their indicators are very impressive. When I am on my way somewhere I always use them for music listening and I`m satisfied. But I have to say that finding good earpads are simple than finding the best site of book report (can advise you https://essayvikings.com... as well) So I prefer this model of earphones.
NaughtyCat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2017 8:57:36 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
I would go Audio Technica.

But you won't go wrong with Beats except for piracy and price concern...
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2017 7:31:52 PM
Posted: 1 month ago

I would say those Bose headphones are the best.
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2017 2:36:01 PM
Typically American. You buy a very expensive "state of the art" music/video system and then are led like the sheep you are to buy something to "improve" the sound of your very expensive music/video system. If it wasn't so sad i'd laugh myself sick.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2017 6:55:00 PM
I have a pair of M50s that's falling apart. Looking to upgrade to open-back Seinn's, probably, especially now that I live alone. I'm using some shitty external amplifier that I've had for like 5 years, but it has a volume knob, so I'm happy.
: At 10/2/2017 3:00:43 AM, YYW wrote:
: Bossy: You are Regina.

:Inferno wrote:
:You sound rather gay.

-- And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

"I believe that my powers of mind are surely such that I would have become in a
certain sense a resolver of all problems. I do not believe that I could have remained in
error anywhere for long. I believe that I would have earned the name of Redeemer,
because I had the nature of a Redeemer. "
Sui_Generis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2017 2:36:32 PM
At 9/28/2017 6:55:00 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
I have a pair of M50s that's falling apart. Looking to upgrade to open-back Seinn's, probably, especially now that I live alone. I'm using some shitty external amplifier that I've had for like 5 years, but it has a volume knob, so I'm happy.

get this schiit:
http://www.schiit.com...
"How true it is that words are but vague shadows of the volumes we mean. Little audible links they are, chaining together great inaudible feelings and purposes."

"Nobody wants to be in your sig." ~Emilrose