Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

Power switch

Dirty.Harry
Posts: 1,567
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 6:00:09 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
I've grown increasingly annoyed at manufacturers and designers who should know better but insist on never putting true on/off switches on many devices.

How often are we told "OK, well try pulling the power cord and waiting 30 seconds then reinserting it"?

Let me be clear, on/off switch here means a switch that cuts power coming in to the device - the switch equivalent of pulling the cable. Rather few devices these days have one.

Most power switches actually do not cut power but rather tell the electronics to go idle and shutdown (e.g. standby) so even when you press these power is still applied to the electronics inside the unit.

A true power switch is clearly required when the remedy for problems is to pull the power cord!

In fact it's trivial to design the system so that switching the power on/off forces the unit itself to wait 30 (or whatever) seconds before restarting.

I have TV sets, DVD players, routers, cable boxes etc that have NO true power switch and so must have their power cable (be it raw AC or whatever DC from adapter) pulled and inserted to effect a true resetting.

This is farcical - our oh-so advanced world requires people to clumsily pull cables and so on often when they can't even see the back of the unit bust must twist and reach around and then fiddle trying to get the connector back in!
Archaholic
Posts: 248
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 8:36:51 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Sue them.

Just joking. I didn't get your point. What difference does a power switch make? Devices rarely fail.
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 8:39:24 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/11/2016 6:00:09 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:
I've grown increasingly annoyed at manufacturers and designers who should know better but insist on never putting true on/off switches on many devices.

How often are we told "OK, well try pulling the power cord and waiting 30 seconds then reinserting it"?

Let me be clear, on/off switch here means a switch that cuts power coming in to the device - the switch equivalent of pulling the cable. Rather few devices these days have one.

Most power switches actually do not cut power but rather tell the electronics to go idle and shutdown (e.g. standby) so even when you press these power is still applied to the electronics inside the unit.

A true power switch is clearly required when the remedy for problems is to pull the power cord!

In fact it's trivial to design the system so that switching the power on/off forces the unit itself to wait 30 (or whatever) seconds before restarting.

I have TV sets, DVD players, routers, cable boxes etc that have NO true power switch and so must have their power cable (be it raw AC or whatever DC from adapter) pulled and inserted to effect a true resetting.

This is farcical - our oh-so advanced world requires people to clumsily pull cables and so on often when they can't even see the back of the unit bust must twist and reach around and then fiddle trying to get the connector back in!

Besides my computer and phone, my newest electrical component was made in 1998. I like heavier, thought out, more mechanical units that are built to last. Most people don't care, and have opted for cheaper digital controls over heavier bulkier manual ones so I guess I'm just gonna have to stock up on parts and fall behind the times....Because I can actually do that. :) I can't stand when you hit a button or something and the device is like, "well, let me think about that a sec"
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Dirty.Harry
Posts: 1,567
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2016 4:33:35 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 8:36:51 PM, Archaholic wrote:
Sue them.

Just joking. I didn't get your point. What difference does a power switch make? Devices rarely fail.

It can be used for powering the device off/on again instead of having to pull the cable out and reinsert.

Today so many devices can only be truly powered off/on by pulling the cable, what most present as an "on/off" switch is almost always just a push button that puts the device into standby.

The only reason I even mentioned this is that all too often we are told/asked to "pull the cable out and wait for 30 seconds" if a device needs such remedial action then it should have a simple power switch, pulling cables out is just incredibly bad design.
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2016 10:09:33 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/1/2016 4:33:35 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:
At 9/12/2016 8:36:51 PM, Archaholic wrote:
Sue them.

Just joking. I didn't get your point. What difference does a power switch make? Devices rarely fail.

It can be used for powering the device off/on again instead of having to pull the cable out and reinsert.

Today so many devices can only be truly powered off/on by pulling the cable, what most present as an "on/off" switch is almost always just a push button that puts the device into standby.

The only reason I even mentioned this is that all too often we are told/asked to "pull the cable out and wait for 30 seconds" if a device needs such remedial action then it should have a simple power switch, pulling cables out is just incredibly bad design.

Why is it incredibly bad?

You could just buy a switched cord if unplugging it becomes annoying due to location or something. Not a big deal really.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Archaholic
Posts: 248
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 8:13:02 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/1/2016 4:33:35 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:
At 9/12/2016 8:36:51 PM, Archaholic wrote:
Sue them.

Just joking. I didn't get your point. What difference does a power switch make? Devices rarely fail.

It can be used for powering the device off/on again instead of having to pull the cable out and reinsert.

Today so many devices can only be truly powered off/on by pulling the cable, what most present as an "on/off" switch is almost always just a push button that puts the device into standby.

The only reason I even mentioned this is that all too often we are told/asked to "pull the cable out and wait for 30 seconds" if a device needs such remedial action then it should have a simple power switch, pulling cables out is just incredibly bad design.

I see your point. If I were an industrial designer, how would I design a device? I think I would design it as simple and cheap as possible. If something is redundant, like the power switch, we can disregard it because the power cord makes the same thing as the power switch. Plus, it would be cheaper and I could compete with other manufacturers offering a cheaper product.

I mean, you are going to pull the cord out anyway while troubleshooting, so why should I bother to install a power switch? And troubleshooting is something that rarely happens, so the power switch is in excess. If the product failed anytime, that would be a bad design.

Best Regards