Jump to topic:

CD's Now and in the Future

Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 12:39:49 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
I'd just like to see how people are feeling about this. How do you see CD's going into the future? Any obvious improvements? Do you still use them? Comparisons to your other media....Let it rip guys.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 2:49:43 PM
Cd->DVD->blueray->uv ray
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 8:36:54 PM
At 9/26/2016 2:49:43 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Cd->DVD->blueray->uv ray

rofl
micro sd, usb, flash type media, possibly manta
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 9:24:09 PM
At 9/26/2016 8:36:54 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
Cd->DVD->blueray->uv ray

rofl

Whatchu got on my gamma ray disc bro? you can only read that baby once though!
Beliefs in a nutshell:
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 10:11:16 PM
At 9/26/2016 9:24:09 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 9/26/2016 8:36:54 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
Cd->DVD->blueray->uv ray

rofl

Whatchu got on my gamma ray disc bro? you can only read that baby once though!

well Doh you got that one on me. 3 hit combo, do you see it?
Archaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 8:59:10 PM
Difficult to compete with a CD (or DVD, blue-ray, etc), it has a high capacity of storage, is light and have enough space to put a cover.

BR
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 4:43:18 AM
At 10/7/2016 8:59:10 PM, Archaholic wrote:
Difficult to compete with a CD (or DVD, blue-ray, etc), it has a high capacity of storage, is light and have enough space to put a cover.

BR

I forsee CD's having their purpose going into the future, but have always been amazed that they were never completely fazed out by superior recording mediums like DVD in the music industry. I'm supposedly kind of an oddball I guess as I'm the only person I know who still runs them. I'm really into my music though, and I like loading stuff into a player and looking at the artwork, reading the pamphlet etc.... $$ for dollar they are still the best. I hope downloads never become the only option as I enjoy having my own proof of ownership when I buy a hard copy.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 3:30:03 PM
At 10/9/2016 4:43:18 AM, Quadrunner wrote:

BR

I forsee CD's having their purpose going into the future, but have always been amazed that they were never completely fazed out by superior recording mediums like DVD in the music industry. I'm supposedly kind of an oddball I guess as I'm the only person I know who still runs them. I'm really into my music though, and I like loading stuff into a player and looking at the artwork, reading the pamphlet etc.... $$ for dollar they are still the best. I hope downloads never become the only option as I enjoy having my own proof of ownership when I buy a hard copy.

Don't worry, there will always be an opportunity for you to provide a record label money in exchange for a piece of plastic and a picture to show you are an owner.

Otherwise, if you really want to patronize a band in the most legitimate way possible, see them live. Don't get too hyped up over our technological ability to record music.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 5:34:28 PM
At 10/9/2016 3:30:03 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

BR

Don't worry, there will always be an opportunity for you to provide a record label money in exchange for a piece of plastic and a picture to show you are an owner.

I've found that my home system provides a better musical and emotional experience then the majority of concerts of all genres (Aside from classical and jazz) I've attended. Its brought me a lot of joy over the years. Rare...wait for it...legendary bands like the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, and the Dixie Chicks among others are a wonderful exception however. Seeing as how I don't have the time, capacity, nor the inclination to always attend live concerts....Its got its place.

Otherwise, if you really want to patronize a band in the most legitimate way possible, see them live. Don't get too hyped up over our technological ability to record music.

Well, I don't even try all that hard (can't afford to lol) and I've got a pretty decent system that's limited by the source material, CD being the highest quality I can reasonably get my hands on and at a price cheaper then low grade Itunes music.....It would be nice, since they already record in higher quality if we could have it on DVD which has the capability to handle just about any practical thing that could be thrown at it. I don't think it would really cost all that much more.....Seems strange that it never happened since CD's are that close to being more then enough for perceiving nearest possible perfect playback, but just not quite there.....I'm completely surprised DVD's never took over....Greed in the music industry ensured their demise I guess as they were very overpriced (still are) in their time despite simply holding the same exact material that is less downgraded compared to CD's.

Anyway, I'm in an engineering field and I can't help but be fascinated at how technological advancements are done, implemented, and ultimately reacted to by the public. I find instances in my research on a regular basis where if we as a people were more informed we would be pushing the industry towards better product....Its all a moot point, since I can't do anything about it, but as a side benefit I've certainly learned things in research that have improved my life through the exploitation of technology to the benefit of my personal goals....which are quite literally not possible from strong marketing engines like Bose, Beats, Best Buy, and Apple, especially at the prices they deem fit....And yet they remain the most prevalent and profitable consuming the massive amounts of resources that could be put towards real, amazing products. Its fascinating to think about....for me.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 5:44:46 PM
At 10/9/2016 5:34:28 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

BR

I've found that my home system provides a better musical and emotional experience then the majority of concerts of all genres (Aside from classical and jazz) I've attended. Its brought me a lot of joy over the years. Rare...wait for it...legendary bands like the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, and the Dixie Chicks among others are a wonderful exception however. Seeing as how I don't have the time, capacity, nor the inclination to always attend live concerts....Its got its place.

Another thing to consider is that with a physical copy, you more or less have a physical, real, tangible, legal, and valuable investment. It just makes more sense to me, even though I usually listen off a drive of some sort these days, to purchase the physical copy when possible.

Well, I don't even try all that hard (can't afford to lol) and I've got a pretty decent system that's limited by the source material, CD being the highest quality I can reasonably get my hands on and at a price cheaper then low grade Itunes music.....It would be nice, since they already record in higher quality if we could have it on DVD which has the capability to handle just about any practical thing that could be thrown at it. I don't think it would really cost all that much more.....Seems strange that it never happened since CD's are that close to being more then enough for perceiving nearest possible perfect playback, but just not quite there.....I'm completely surprised DVD's never took over....Greed in the music industry ensured their demise I guess as they were very overpriced (still are) in their time despite simply holding the same exact material that is less downgraded compared to CD's.

Anyway, I'm in an engineering field and I can't help but be fascinated at how technological advancements are done, implemented, and ultimately reacted to by the public. I find instances in my research on a regular basis where if we as a people were more informed we would be pushing the industry towards better product....Its all a moot point, since I can't do anything about it, but as a side benefit I've certainly learned things in research that have improved my life through the exploitation of technology to the benefit of my personal goals....which are quite literally not possible from strong marketing engines like Bose, Beats, Best Buy, and Apple, especially at the prices they deem fit....And yet they remain the most prevalent and profitable consuming the massive amounts of resources that could be put towards real, amazing products. Its fascinating to think about....for me.
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 5:48:38 PM
At 9/26/2016 12:39:49 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
I'd just like to see how people are feeling about this. How do you see CD's going into the future? Any obvious improvements? Do you still use them? Comparisons to your other media....Let it rip guys.

They'll fade away, get replaced as did wax cylinders (of which I have some), 78 rpm records, cassette tapes etc.

I was saddened to be in Best Buy recently and I asked the guy if they had any portable transistor radios.

He looked at me very oddly then showed me a few small alarm clock radios - that's all they had, very sad.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 6:13:51 PM
At 10/9/2016 5:48:38 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:

They'll fade away, get replaced as did wax cylinders (of which I have some), 78 rpm records, cassette tapes etc.

I was saddened to be in Best Buy recently and I asked the guy if they had any portable transistor radios.

He looked at me very oddly then showed me a few small alarm clock radios - that's all they had, very sad.

Cylinders always intuitively felt like a better system for longevity and quality then analog disks due to the obvious geometrical problems that need to be mitigated in records. Certainly doesn't seem like a convenient way to store your media though. How do you like them? I've never even heard one.
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 6:57:15 PM
At 10/9/2016 6:13:51 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 10/9/2016 5:48:38 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:

Cylinders always intuitively felt like a better system for longevity and quality then analog disks due to the obvious geometrical problems that need to be mitigated in records. Certainly doesn't seem like a convenient way to store your media though. How do you like them? I've never even heard one.

Truth is these are in storage (well a box in one of the garages here). I got them when I also purchased some old Ediphone dictation machines from my old landlord in Philly a few years ago.

This isn't them but the pic is pretty close:

http://img.talkingmachine.info...

The cylinders (there are like 30) have been stored since then, I've never attempted to play them and neither machine is really working well and would probably damage the wax now.

My worry is that I now live in Arizona and it gets might hot, I do hope the cylinders have not melted!!
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 11:16:39 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/9/2016 5:34:28 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

BR

This year I bought a set of klipsch towers, each has dual 8" speakers - I feel you! I want to get the 15" subwoofer but that's another grand (maybe next year!). I love listening to music on my home stereo, its just about the only thing I do actually spend some money on in an indulgent manner.

I was more referring to your desire to own the music, not enjoy it at home. There's all sorts of ways to listen nowadays without having to spend the money on albums.

Well, considering you are listening to a series of zeros and ones translated by a computer and then sent to a piece of vibrating cardboard to emulate the sound of instruments, I for one don't get too caught up in authenticity! Sound recreation has steadily gotten worse over the years as it's gotten more convenient. Before the 20th century you could only hear it live, then we went to records which are scratches in a disc. But at least it was an actual physical sound we were hearing. Then into tapes which are magnetically-stored info, not an actual physical medium anymore but at least it's still analog. Cds got into completely digital, then MP3s condensed the format to make it as lifeless as possible while still being roughly accurate.
Beliefs in a nutshell: