Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

Obsolete Technology: Where's the Future?

TMcKenna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 8:57:59 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
A friend of mine was discussing how his school will now be using an online yearbook. This idea made me think about the future of technology, and how technology might not allow him to see his yearbook. Most of us are familiar with the floppy disk, the cassette tape, and the VHS tape. All of these forms of technology are now rendered obsolete with no easy way to convert them to CD or DVD. As time goes on it will become even harder to do so. Some can even argue that the CD and DVD are on their way to extinction due to digital downloads. An example for this is when Apple removed the disk drive in their newest laptops. Recently, Apple was bold enough to even remove the headphone jack that has been around since the dinosaurs roamed the Earth.

From this I wonder, will digital downloads become obsolete in the future? Is it right for my friend's college to publish his yearbook online? A yearbook is essentially a time capsule that people will look back at years from now and reminisce. This "time capsule" will be lost if the yearbook is not compatible with future technology. This is just like how people filmed their whole life on VHS tapes, and now they cannot even play the videos. I would love to hear other inputs about where you think technology is headed.

- TMcKenna
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 7:46:34 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/9/2016 8:57:59 PM, TMcKenna wrote:
A friend of mine was discussing how his school will now be using an online yearbook. This idea made me think about the future of technology, and how technology might not allow him to see his yearbook. Most of us are familiar with the floppy disk, the cassette tape, and the VHS tape. All of these forms of technology are now rendered obsolete with no easy way to convert them to CD or DVD. As time goes on it will become even harder to do so. Some can even argue that the CD and DVD are on their way to extinction due to digital downloads. An example for this is when Apple removed the disk drive in their newest laptops. Recently, Apple was bold enough to even remove the headphone jack that has been around since the dinosaurs roamed the Earth.

From this I wonder, will digital downloads become obsolete in the future? Is it right for my friend's college to publish his yearbook online? A yearbook is essentially a time capsule that people will look back at years from now and reminisce. This "time capsule" will be lost if the yearbook is not compatible with future technology. This is just like how people filmed their whole life on VHS tapes, and now they cannot even play the videos. I would love to hear other inputs about where you think technology is headed.

- TMcKenna

Cassettes are very easy to digitize and transfer to CD, or whatever it is you do. High dollar machines we never had access to are pretty cheap now, and you can listen to them in the highest quality you so choose. Most of the mid-high end equipment from the 20th century is serviceable and can be maintained for decades or as long as you care to take care of it. VHS is not supposed to be difficult either though I've never tried it. Hard copy books show no signs of becoming obsolete. I don't have the knowledge to say whether digital copies will become obselete someday, but I'd assume whatever languages and whatnot will be evolving. Of course like all other media, its wise to trade in for equipment that is up to date and backwards compatible, and convert your stuff with the times.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 7:58:09 PM
At 10/10/2016 7:46:34 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

- TMcKenna

Cassettes are very easy to digitize and transfer to CD, or whatever it is you do. High dollar machines we never had access to are pretty cheap now, and you can listen to them in the highest quality you so choose. Most of the mid-high end equipment from the 20th century is serviceable and can be maintained for decades or as long as you care to take care of it. VHS is not supposed to be difficult either though I've never tried it. Hard copy books show no signs of becoming obsolete. I don't have the knowledge to say whether digital copies will become obselete someday, but I'd assume whatever languages and whatnot will be evolving. Of course like all other media, its wise to trade in for equipment that is up to date and backwards compatible, and convert your stuff with the times.

Oh....Just one more thing. Online year books sound dumb. :p
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 12:14:12 AM
Digital downloads will become obsolete. How far in the future and what will replace them I cant tell you. The downloads will probably appear and disappear in less time then the 8 track cartridge.
RayOfWisdom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 3:30:05 PM

- TMcKenna

While this piece is very interesting (and clearly written), I am unsure about what contentious or controversial claim you are making. I agree that the rapid progression of technological advancement renders older forms of technology obsolete at an ever-increasing rate. But beyond this notion, are you arguing anything?
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2016 1:49:13 PM
At 10/14/2016 3:30:05 PM, RayOfWisdom wrote:

- TMcKenna

While this piece is very interesting (and clearly written), I am unsure about what contentious or controversial claim you are making. I agree that the rapid progression of technological advancement renders older forms of technology obsolete at an ever-increasing rate. But beyond this notion, are you arguing anything?

This is the forum section....Suggestions and knowledge are welcomed; Argument is optional, and often inapplicable, sometimes inappropriate.