Total Posts:41|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Sad Songs

warren42
Posts: 3,521
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2017 3:46:11 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Anyone have any sad songs they listen to when they're sad just to torture themselves? It's one of my favorite pastimes, and I'm looking to expand my sad pallet.
Subutai
Posts: 4,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2017 3:49:05 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/10/2017 3:46:11 AM, warren42 wrote:
Anyone have any sad songs they listen to when they're sad just to torture themselves? It's one of my favorite pastimes, and I'm looking to expand my sad pallet.

Not really. I just love listening to sad and depressing songs. Most of my very favorite bands write depressing, or at least melancholic music. Here are some examples:

https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
Lying on the hill, crawling over the windowsill into your living room, they stare out, glass-eyed aimless heads, bodies torn by vultures. You are the man whose hands are rank with the smell of death. - Peter Hammill, "The Emperor in His War Room"
warren42
Posts: 3,521
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2017 5:09:58 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/10/2017 3:49:05 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 8/10/2017 3:46:11 AM, warren42 wrote:
Anyone have any sad songs they listen to when they're sad just to torture themselves? It's one of my favorite pastimes, and I'm looking to expand my sad pallet.

Not really. I just love listening to sad and depressing songs. Most of my very favorite bands write depressing, or at least melancholic music. Here are some examples:

https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...

They're all very long also. Nothing wrong with that, just an observation
bsh1
Posts: 29,006
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2017 5:44:32 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Here are some songs I consider sad, but for different reasons. For some, it's the lyrics, for others, its the sound/melody. Lemme know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...

29,000th Post & Sort of Farewell: http://www.debate.org...
warren42
Posts: 3,521
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2017 6:34:05 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/11/2017 5:44:32 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Here are some songs I consider sad, but for different reasons. For some, it's the lyrics, for others, its the sound/melody. Lemme know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...

I like all of them. Some I don't consider sad, like "I Will Be There" has uplifting lyrics I think. Despite the sad lyrics of "All Time Low" I've never considered it sad just because it's so catchy. Kinda like "Mr. Brightside" by The Killers. It's a heartbreaking song but it's also a total jam.
bsh1
Posts: 29,006
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2017 6:36:00 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/11/2017 6:34:05 AM, warren42 wrote:
At 8/11/2017 5:44:32 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Here are some songs I consider sad, but for different reasons. For some, it's the lyrics, for others, its the sound/melody. Lemme know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...

I like all of them. Some I don't consider sad, like "I Will Be There" has uplifting lyrics I think.

But the pacing and sound is almost dirge-like, which is why I threw it in there.

Despite the sad lyrics of "All Time Low" I've never considered it sad just because it's so catchy. Kinda like "Mr. Brightside" by The Killers. It's a heartbreaking song but it's also a total jam.

Yeah, I agree.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...

29,000th Post & Sort of Farewell: http://www.debate.org...
warren42
Posts: 3,521
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2017 6:38:16 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/11/2017 6:36:00 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 8/11/2017 6:34:05 AM, warren42 wrote:
At 8/11/2017 5:44:32 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Here are some songs I consider sad, but for different reasons. For some, it's the lyrics, for others, its the sound/melody. Lemme know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...

I like all of them. Some I don't consider sad, like "I Will Be There" has uplifting lyrics I think.

But the pacing and sound is almost dirge-like, which is why I threw it in there.

Agreed. If I weren't paying attention to lyrics I'd probably think it was sad.

Despite the sad lyrics of "All Time Low" I've never considered it sad just because it's so catchy. Kinda like "Mr. Brightside" by The Killers. It's a heartbreaking song but it's also a total jam.

Yeah, I agree.

I actually saw both of those live this weekend and the emotion came through. Both were very sad in my opinion.
bsh1
Posts: 29,006
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2017 6:39:34 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/11/2017 6:38:16 AM, warren42 wrote:
At 8/11/2017 6:36:00 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 8/11/2017 6:34:05 AM, warren42 wrote:
Despite the sad lyrics of "All Time Low" I've never considered it sad just because it's so catchy. Kinda like "Mr. Brightside" by The Killers. It's a heartbreaking song but it's also a total jam.

Yeah, I agree.

I actually saw both of those live this weekend and the emotion came through. Both were very sad in my opinion.

I can definitely see how that would translate in a live performance but not in the recording.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...

29,000th Post & Sort of Farewell: http://www.debate.org...
Vaarka
Posts: 11,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2017 6:54:26 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/10/2017 3:46:11 AM, warren42 wrote:
Anyone have any sad songs they listen to when they're sad just to torture themselves? It's one of my favorite pastimes, and I'm looking to expand my sad pallet.

Do songs that give you mixed emotions count?
Beginner Series Mafia Mod. PM if interested***
-
"I bet you're thinking right now 'haha I'm a genius'. well you're not" - Valkrin

*puffs bubble pipe*
Subutai
Posts: 4,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2017 1:06:20 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/11/2017 5:09:58 AM, warren42 wrote:
At 8/10/2017 3:49:05 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 8/10/2017 3:46:11 AM, warren42 wrote:
Anyone have any sad songs they listen to when they're sad just to torture themselves? It's one of my favorite pastimes, and I'm looking to expand my sad pallet.

Not really. I just love listening to sad and depressing songs. Most of my very favorite bands write depressing, or at least melancholic music. Here are some examples:

https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...

They're all very long also. Nothing wrong with that, just an observation

Depressing songs always work best when they are longer, as I think it makes the emotion stretch out, as it should. But it's mostly because of the fact that a lot of the songs I listen to are long.
Lying on the hill, crawling over the windowsill into your living room, they stare out, glass-eyed aimless heads, bodies torn by vultures. You are the man whose hands are rank with the smell of death. - Peter Hammill, "The Emperor in His War Room"
Outplayz
Posts: 2,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2017 4:14:21 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/10/2017 3:46:11 AM, warren42 wrote:
Anyone have any sad songs they listen to when they're sad just to torture themselves? It's one of my favorite pastimes, and I'm looking to expand my sad pallet.

Any song can become sad when it triggers a certain emotion that you may be feeling. Most songs played in minor keys achieve that the easiest however. It is hard to get sad to a major cord played song. So... find anything in minors and tears should ensue: Example of minor keys... look up classical music to get it and you will notice some of the coolest songs also are minor songs. Actually, for some reason minor cords are or become the most hit songs. Probably because they have the most emotion.

Minors:

https://www.youtube.com...
GrimlyF
Posts: 1,295
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2017 4:15:05 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Morissey, Sheran, Smith, Adele, Rihanna, Beyonce and many others. Whenever I hear their off-key squawking I become heart-sick that they make millions despite being without any trace of talent.
Sui_Generis
Posts: 4,202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2017 9:08:08 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
*palate. I'll add mine later
"How true it is that words are but vague shadows of the volumes we mean. Little audible links they are, chaining together great inaudible feelings and purposes."

"Nobody wants to be in your sig." ~Emilrose
Vaarka
Posts: 11,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2017 12:14:41 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/10/2017 3:46:11 AM, warren42 wrote:
Anyone have any sad songs they listen to when they're sad just to torture themselves? It's one of my favorite pastimes, and I'm looking to expand my sad pallet.

I don't often go out of my way to find sad songs, but I know there are plenty in osu!
Beginner Series Mafia Mod. PM if interested***
-
"I bet you're thinking right now 'haha I'm a genius'. well you're not" - Valkrin

*puffs bubble pipe*
Sui_Generis
Posts: 4,202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2017 9:03:09 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/22/2017 12:14:41 AM, Vaarka wrote:
At 8/10/2017 3:46:11 AM, warren42 wrote:
Anyone have any sad songs they listen to when they're sad just to torture themselves? It's one of my favorite pastimes, and I'm looking to expand my sad pallet.

I don't often go out of my way to find sad songs, but I know there are plenty in osu!
I dispute this
"How true it is that words are but vague shadows of the volumes we mean. Little audible links they are, chaining together great inaudible feelings and purposes."

"Nobody wants to be in your sig." ~Emilrose
Vaarka
Posts: 11,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2017 11:37:22 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/22/2017 9:03:09 PM, Sui_Generis wrote:
At 8/22/2017 12:14:41 AM, Vaarka wrote:
At 8/10/2017 3:46:11 AM, warren42 wrote:
Anyone have any sad songs they listen to when they're sad just to torture themselves? It's one of my favorite pastimes, and I'm looking to expand my sad pallet.

I don't often go out of my way to find sad songs, but I know there are plenty in osu!
I dispute this

https://osu.ppy.sh...
And basically 80% of the songs this guy maps. They may not all be sad, but you get the point.
Beginner Series Mafia Mod. PM if interested***
-
"I bet you're thinking right now 'haha I'm a genius'. well you're not" - Valkrin

*puffs bubble pipe*
Sui_Generis
Posts: 4,202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2017 12:44:13 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/22/2017 11:37:22 PM, Vaarka wrote:
At 8/22/2017 9:03:09 PM, Sui_Generis wrote:
At 8/22/2017 12:14:41 AM, Vaarka wrote:
At 8/10/2017 3:46:11 AM, warren42 wrote:
Anyone have any sad songs they listen to when they're sad just to torture themselves? It's one of my favorite pastimes, and I'm looking to expand my sad pallet.

I don't often go out of my way to find sad songs, but I know there are plenty in osu!
I dispute this

https://osu.ppy.sh...
And basically 80% of the songs this guy maps. They may not all be sad, but you get the point.
I don't know how to read that. Youtube?
"How true it is that words are but vague shadows of the volumes we mean. Little audible links they are, chaining together great inaudible feelings and purposes."

"Nobody wants to be in your sig." ~Emilrose
Emilrose
Posts: 5,439
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2017 12:52:14 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Pink Floyd--wish you were here.

Rolling Stones--wild horses.

Nina Simone--wild is the wind.

Britney Spears--hit me baby one more time (only joking.)
Emilrose
Posts: 5,439
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2017 1:03:22 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/21/2017 4:15:05 PM, GrimlyF wrote:
Morissey, Sheran, Smith

Adele.

Oh this is so typical--she is actually horribly overrated.

Rihanna, Beyonce and many others. Whenever I hear their off-key squawking I become heart-sick that they make millions despite being without any trace of talent.
Emilrose
Posts: 5,439
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2017 1:07:52 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/14/2017 4:14:21 AM, Outplayz wrote:
At 8/10/2017 3:46:11 AM, warren42 wrote:
Anyone have any sad songs they listen to when they're sad just to torture themselves? It's one of my favorite pastimes, and I'm looking to expand my sad pallet.

Any song can become sad when it triggers a certain emotion that you may be feeling. Most songs played in minor keys achieve that the easiest however. It is hard to get sad to a major cord played song. So... find anything in minors and tears should ensue: Example of minor keys... look up classical music to get it and you will notice some of the coolest songs also are minor songs. Actually, for some reason minor cords are or become the most hit songs. Probably because they have the most emotion.

I disagree.

Minors:

https://www.youtube.com...
warren42
Posts: 3,521
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2017 5:57:18 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
For the record, my incredibly original titled playlist "Sad" consists of:

Untitled - Simple Plan
9 Crimes - Damien Rice (This was in one of the Shrek movies)
All the Faces - Creed Braxton (Yes, from The Office)
Mad World - Michael Andrews (Donnie Darko)
Say Something - A Great Big World
Whiskey Lullaby - Brad Paisley
Lost Boy - Ruth B
Angel From Montgomery - Old Crow Medicine Show
Wake Me Up When September Ends - Green Day
Make it Stop - Rise Against
Where'd You Go - Fort Minor
1-800-273-8255 - Logic
Molly - Lil Dicky
More Than a Memory (Acoustic) - Lee Brice
Say You Won't Let Go - James Arthur
Bad Religion - Frank Ocean
Marvins Room - Drake
Outplayz
Posts: 2,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2017 5:00:56 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 8/23/2017 1:07:52 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 8/14/2017 4:14:21 AM, Outplayz wrote:
At 8/10/2017 3:46:11 AM, warren42 wrote:
Anyone have any sad songs they listen to when they're sad just to torture themselves? It's one of my favorite pastimes, and I'm looking to expand my sad pallet.

Any song can become sad when it triggers a certain emotion that you may be feeling. Most songs played in minor keys achieve that the easiest however. It is hard to get sad to a major cord played song. So... find anything in minors and tears should ensue: Example of minor keys... look up classical music to get it and you will notice some of the coolest songs also are minor songs. Actually, for some reason minor cords are or become the most hit songs. Probably because they have the most emotion.

I disagree.

Minors:

https://www.youtube.com...

What do you disagree to, that minors are more emotional than majors?
Emilrose
Posts: 5,439
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2017 6:19:09 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 8/23/2017 5:00:56 PM, Outplayz wrote:
At 8/23/2017 1:07:52 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 8/14/2017 4:14:21 AM, Outplayz wrote:
At 8/10/2017 3:46:11 AM, warren42 wrote:
Anyone have any sad songs they listen to when they're sad just to torture themselves? It's one of my favorite pastimes, and I'm looking to expand my sad pallet.

Any song can become sad when it triggers a certain emotion that you may be feeling. Most songs played in minor keys achieve that the easiest however. It is hard to get sad to a major cord played song. So... find anything in minors and tears should ensue: Example of minor keys... look up classical music to get it and you will notice some of the coolest songs also are minor songs. Actually, for some reason minor cords are or become the most hit songs. Probably because they have the most emotion.

I disagree.

Minors:

https://www.youtube.com...

What do you disagree to, that minors are more emotional than majors?

I don't know, I just thought I'd say that.
Outplayz
Posts: 2,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2017 7:05:50 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 8/23/2017 6:19:09 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 8/23/2017 5:00:56 PM, Outplayz wrote:
At 8/23/2017 1:07:52 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 8/14/2017 4:14:21 AM, Outplayz wrote:
At 8/10/2017 3:46:11 AM, warren42 wrote:
Anyone have any sad songs they listen to when they're sad just to torture themselves? It's one of my favorite pastimes, and I'm looking to expand my sad pallet.

Any song can become sad when it triggers a certain emotion that you may be feeling. Most songs played in minor keys achieve that the easiest however. It is hard to get sad to a major cord played song. So... find anything in minors and tears should ensue: Example of minor keys... look up classical music to get it and you will notice some of the coolest songs also are minor songs. Actually, for some reason minor cords are or become the most hit songs. Probably because they have the most emotion.

I disagree.

Minors:

https://www.youtube.com...

What do you disagree to, that minors are more emotional than majors?

I don't know, I just thought I'd say that.

Just feeling like playing Devil's Advocate huh? Well, you are right to disagree, bc if we get technical, some minor progressions sound happy (for instance playing c# melodic minor ascending is dark sounding, but descending where you add b instead of c sounds happy). Furthermore, some majors sound sad, where some minors sound happy when played creatively. Plus, depending on the person, me included, minor songs that sound sad to others make me feel happy. So it is pretty complex, but the general rule of thumb is that majors are the more cheerful, happy sounding cords and minors are the darker, sadder sounding cords.
Emilrose
Posts: 5,439
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2017 9:41:06 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 8/23/2017 7:05:50 PM, Outplayz wrote:
At 8/23/2017 6:19:09 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 8/23/2017 5:00:56 PM, Outplayz wrote:
At 8/23/2017 1:07:52 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 8/14/2017 4:14:21 AM, Outplayz wrote:
At 8/10/2017 3:46:11 AM, warren42 wrote:
Anyone have any sad songs they listen to when they're sad just to torture themselves? It's one of my favorite pastimes, and I'm looking to expand my sad pallet.

Any song can become sad when it triggers a certain emotion that you may be feeling. Most songs played in minor keys achieve that the easiest however. It is hard to get sad to a major cord played song. So... find anything in minors and tears should ensue: Example of minor keys... look up classical music to get it and you will notice some of the coolest songs also are minor songs. Actually, for some reason minor cords are or become the most hit songs. Probably because they have the most emotion.

I disagree.

Minors:

https://www.youtube.com...

What do you disagree to, that minors are more emotional than majors?

I don't know, I just thought I'd say that.

Just feeling like playing Devil's Advocate huh? Well, you are right to disagree, bc if we get technical, some minor progressions sound happy (for instance playing c# melodic minor ascending is dark sounding, but descending where you add b instead of c sounds happy). Furthermore, some majors sound sad, where some minors sound happy when played creatively. Plus, depending on the person, me included, minor songs that sound sad to others make me feel happy. So it is pretty complex, but the general rule of thumb is that majors are the more cheerful, happy sounding cords and minors are the darker, sadder sounding cords.

I really don't know anything about music (besides having some knowledge of various artists and eras.)

I totally sucked at the creative subjects; they just didn't/don't make any sense to me.
Outplayz
Posts: 2,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2017 9:48:03 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 8/23/2017 9:41:06 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 8/23/2017 7:05:50 PM, Outplayz wrote:
At 8/23/2017 6:19:09 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 8/23/2017 5:00:56 PM, Outplayz wrote:
At 8/23/2017 1:07:52 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 8/14/2017 4:14:21 AM, Outplayz wrote:
At 8/10/2017 3:46:11 AM, warren42 wrote:
Anyone have any sad songs they listen to when they're sad just to torture themselves? It's one of my favorite pastimes, and I'm looking to expand my sad pallet.

Any song can become sad when it triggers a certain emotion that you may be feeling. Most songs played in minor keys achieve that the easiest however. It is hard to get sad to a major cord played song. So... find anything in minors and tears should ensue: Example of minor keys... look up classical music to get it and you will notice some of the coolest songs also are minor songs. Actually, for some reason minor cords are or become the most hit songs. Probably because they have the most emotion.

I disagree.

Minors:

https://www.youtube.com...

What do you disagree to, that minors are more emotional than majors?

I don't know, I just thought I'd say that.

Just feeling like playing Devil's Advocate huh? Well, you are right to disagree, bc if we get technical, some minor progressions sound happy (for instance playing c# melodic minor ascending is dark sounding, but descending where you add b instead of c sounds happy). Furthermore, some majors sound sad, where some minors sound happy when played creatively. Plus, depending on the person, me included, minor songs that sound sad to others make me feel happy. So it is pretty complex, but the general rule of thumb is that majors are the more cheerful, happy sounding cords and minors are the darker, sadder sounding cords.

I really don't know anything about music (besides having some knowledge of various artists and eras.)

I totally sucked at the creative subjects; they just didn't/don't make any sense to me.

That is awesome in its own right. I can't explain it to you over the internet, but in person i would be able to show/teach you its complexities and creativity. I would have to go throw a song and break down what's happening. I love teaching people the art of music, especially newbs like you ;p It's awesome to see you noticing/learning what's going on... in addition, that it will be an awesome ride/journey for you.
Emilrose
Posts: 5,439
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2017 10:00:30 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 8/23/2017 9:48:03 PM, Outplayz wrote:
At 8/23/2017 9:41:06 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 8/23/2017 7:05:50 PM, Outplayz wrote:
At 8/23/2017 6:19:09 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 8/23/2017 5:00:56 PM, Outplayz wrote:
At 8/23/2017 1:07:52 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 8/14/2017 4:14:21 AM, Outplayz wrote:
At 8/10/2017 3:46:11 AM, warren42 wrote:
Anyone have any sad songs they listen to when they're sad just to torture themselves? It's one of my favorite pastimes, and I'm looking to expand my sad pallet.

Any song can become sad when it triggers a certain emotion that you may be feeling. Most songs played in minor keys achieve that the easiest however. It is hard to get sad to a major cord played song. So... find anything in minors and tears should ensue: Example of minor keys... look up classical music to get it and you will notice some of the coolest songs also are minor songs. Actually, for some reason minor cords are or become the most hit songs. Probably because they have the most emotion.

I disagree.

Minors:

https://www.youtube.com...

What do you disagree to, that minors are more emotional than majors?

I don't know, I just thought I'd say that.

Just feeling like playing Devil's Advocate huh? Well, you are right to disagree, bc if we get technical, some minor progressions sound happy (for instance playing c# melodic minor ascending is dark sounding, but descending where you add b instead of c sounds happy). Furthermore, some majors sound sad, where some minors sound happy when played creatively. Plus, depending on the person, me included, minor songs that sound sad to others make me feel happy. So it is pretty complex, but the general rule of thumb is that majors are the more cheerful, happy sounding cords and minors are the darker, sadder sounding cords.

I really don't know anything about music (besides having some knowledge of various artists and eras.)

I totally sucked at the creative subjects; they just didn't/don't make any sense to me.

That is awesome in its own right. I can't explain it to you over the internet, but in person i would be able to show/teach you its complexities and creativity. I would have to go throw a song and break down what's happening. I love teaching people the art of music, especially newbs like you ;p It's awesome to see you noticing/learning what's going on... in addition,

I doubt I'd be a particularly fun person to teach--the problem is that I can't comprehend what the value of musical instruments is, or the point of learning how to play them. It's like I also don't understand why anyone would want to paint something or write a fictional story (I tried to write a fictional story once, and found it pretty laborious.) I can appreciate music from a listener standpoint, but that's literally as far as it goes.

that it will be an awesome ride/journey for you.

I had to resist the urge to write something inappropriate here. But really, I'm not one for journeys...
Outplayz
Posts: 2,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2017 1:57:29 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 8/23/2017 10:00:30 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 8/23/2017 9:48:03 PM, Outplayz wrote:
At 8/23/2017 9:41:06 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 8/23/2017 7:05:50 PM, Outplayz wrote:
At 8/23/2017 6:19:09 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 8/23/2017 5:00:56 PM, Outplayz wrote:
At 8/23/2017 1:07:52 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 8/14/2017 4:14:21 AM, Outplayz wrote:
At 8/10/2017 3:46:11 AM, warren42 wrote:
Anyone have any sad songs they listen to when they're sad just to torture themselves? It's one of my favorite pastimes, and I'm looking to expand my sad pallet.

Any song can become sad when it triggers a certain emotion that you may be feeling. Most songs played in minor keys achieve that the easiest however. It is hard to get sad to a major cord played song. So... find anything in minors and tears should ensue: Example of minor keys... look up classical music to get it and you will notice some of the coolest songs also are minor songs. Actually, for some reason minor cords are or become the most hit songs. Probably because they have the most emotion.

I disagree.

Minors:

https://www.youtube.com...

What do you disagree to, that minors are more emotional than majors?

I don't know, I just thought I'd say that.

Just feeling like playing Devil's Advocate huh? Well, you are right to disagree, bc if we get technical, some minor progressions sound happy (for instance playing c# melodic minor ascending is dark sounding, but descending where you add b instead of c sounds happy). Furthermore, some majors sound sad, where some minors sound happy when played creatively. Plus, depending on the person, me included, minor songs that sound sad to others make me feel happy. So it is pretty complex, but the general rule of thumb is that majors are the more cheerful, happy sounding cords and minors are the darker, sadder sounding cords.

I really don't know anything about music (besides having some knowledge of various artists and eras.)

I totally sucked at the creative subjects; they just didn't/don't make any sense to me.

That is awesome in its own right. I can't explain it to you over the internet, but in person i would be able to show/teach you its complexities and creativity. I would have to go throw a song and break down what's happening. I love teaching people the art of music, especially newbs like you ;p It's awesome to see you noticing/learning what's going on... in addition,

I doubt I'd be a particularly fun person to teach--the problem is that I can't comprehend what the value of musical instruments is, or the point of learning how to play them. It's like I also don't understand why anyone would want to paint something or write a fictional story (I tried to write a fictional story once, and found it pretty laborious.) I can appreciate music from a listener standpoint, but that's literally as far as it goes.

That's interesting. I am the opposite. I can literally pick up any instrument and learn it within a month. I improvise all my work too, so i am constantly creating something new. I haven't been playing lately however... don't have the drive to. I've always been musically/artistically in-tune and there is so much to do with it. You don't have to learn an instrument. Just getting the feels from songs is enough. Just appreciate how you do.

that it will be an awesome ride/journey for you.

I had to resist the urge to write something inappropriate here. But really, I'm not one for journeys...

I'm glad you saw through my choice of words ;) How can you not like journeys? Do you not enjoy seeing and doing new things?
Emilrose
Posts: 5,439
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2017 9:25:53 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 8/24/2017 1:57:29 AM, Outplayz wrote:
At 8/23/2017 10:00:30 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 8/23/2017 9:48:03 PM, Outplayz wrote:
At 8/23/2017 9:41:06 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 8/23/2017 7:05:50 PM, Outplayz wrote:
At 8/23/2017 6:19:09 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 8/23/2017 5:00:56 PM, Outplayz wrote:
At 8/23/2017 1:07:52 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 8/14/2017 4:14:21 AM, Outplayz wrote:
At 8/10/2017 3:46:11 AM, warren42 wrote:
Anyone have any sad songs they listen to when they're sad just to torture themselves? It's one of my favorite pastimes, and I'm looking to expand my sad pallet.

Any song can become sad when it triggers a certain emotion that you may be feeling. Most songs played in minor keys achieve that the easiest however. It is hard to get sad to a major cord played song. So... find anything in minors and tears should ensue: Example of minor keys... look up classical music to get it and you will notice some of the coolest songs also are minor songs. Actually, for some reason minor cords are or become the most hit songs. Probably because they have the most emotion.

I disagree.

Minors:

https://www.youtube.com...

What do you disagree to, that minors are more emotional than majors?

I don't know, I just thought I'd say that.

Just feeling like playing Devil's Advocate huh? Well, you are right to disagree, bc if we get technical, some minor progressions sound happy (for instance playing c# melodic minor ascending is dark sounding, but descending where you add b instead of c sounds happy). Furthermore, some majors sound sad, where some minors sound happy when played creatively. Plus, depending on the person, me included, minor songs that sound sad to others make me feel happy. So it is pretty complex, but the general rule of thumb is that majors are the more cheerful, happy sounding cords and minors are the darker, sadder sounding cords.

I really don't know anything about music (besides having some knowledge of various artists and eras.)

I totally sucked at the creative subjects; they just didn't/don't make any sense to me.

That is awesome in its own right. I can't explain it to you over the internet, but in person i would be able to show/teach you its complexities and creativity. I would have to go throw a song and break down what's happening. I love teaching people the art of music, especially newbs like you ;p It's awesome to see you noticing/learning what's going on... in addition,

I doubt I'd be a particularly fun person to teach--the problem is that I can't comprehend what the value of musical instruments is, or the point of learning how to play them. It's like I also don't understand why anyone would want to paint something or write a fictional story (I tried to write a fictional story once, and found it pretty laborious.) I can appreciate music from a listener standpoint, but that's literally as far as it goes.

That's interesting. I am the opposite. I can literally pick up any instrument and learn it within a month. I improvise all my work too, so i am constantly creating something new. I haven't been playing lately however... don't have the drive to. I've always been musically/artistically in-tune and there is so much to do with it. You don't have to learn an instrument. Just getting the feels from songs is enough. Just appreciate how you do.

Well, I guess we're all different. It's good that there's people who are musical, otherwise there wouldn't be any music at all.

that it will be an awesome ride/journey for you.

I had to resist the urge to write something inappropriate here. But really, I'm not one for journeys...

I'm glad you saw through my choice of words ;)

How could I not? :P

How can you not like journeys? Do you not enjoy seeing and doing new things?

I only really care about the destination, though. If there isn't some net value to the 'journey', then I don't see what the purpose is.