Jump to topic:

Why Is Music The Dominant Art From?

PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2017 6:36:32 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Why do you think music is the dominant art form in modern culture? Why not theater, or the visual arts, like painting and sculpture? Why not literature; fiction and poetry?

Or do you think I'm wrong, and that one of these other creative mediums is the more dominant? And what makes you think so?
warren42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2017 6:44:54 PM
At 8/25/2017 6:36:32 PM, PureX wrote:
Why do you think music is the dominant art form in modern culture?

It is cheap, easily shared, accessed, and understood. It's also much more diverse. Though most other mediums do have "genres" the difference in musical genres is much greater than the difference in book genres or painting genres

Why not theater,

Takes a good amount of time, is entirely dependent upon the abilities of multiple different actors/actresses, and is expensive.

or the visual arts, like painting and sculpture?

Not as easy to access, both physically and mentally/emotionally. Music is at our fingertips. To see visual arts in person we need to actually GO somewhere, be it a museum, a home, etc.

Why not literature; fiction and poetry?

Like theater they take much longer to develop. Most songs are 2-5 minutes, while reading a book takes a minimum of a few hours.

Or do you think I'm wrong, and that one of these other creative mediums is the more dominant? And what makes you think so?
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2017 7:04:13 PM
At 8/25/2017 6:44:54 PM, warren42 wrote:
Why do you think music is the dominant art form in modern culture?

It is cheap, easily shared, accessed, and understood. It's also much more diverse. Though most other mediums do have "genres" the difference in musical genres is much greater than the difference in book genres or painting genres

Why not theater,

Takes a good amount of time, is entirely dependent upon the abilities of multiple different actors/actresses, and is expensive.

or the visual arts, like painting and sculpture?

Not as easy to access, both physically and mentally/emotionally. Music is at our fingertips. To see visual arts in person we need to actually GO somewhere, be it a museum, a home, etc.

Why not literature; fiction and poetry?

Like theater they take much longer to develop. Most songs are 2-5 minutes, while reading a book takes a minimum of a few hours.

These are all good points, however, I can't help but think that if we wanted these other forms, there would be more production and a means of fast, easy, access made available.

I agree that theater is somewhat problematic in that it requires a lot of creative cooperation. but so does most music in most instances. And I agree that the writing and reading involved in literature takes up a lot of our time, but it seems to me that if that time is also experienced as enjoyment, then wouldn't we want to engage in, longer?

One of my thoughts was perhaps it's the visceral immediacy of music. It's about the fact that we experience music as much with our body as we do with our minds. And in real time. I was watching clips of "The Voice" from other countries, and couldn't help but notice how many contestants were choosing to sing songs that were not in their own language. And many of them, I don't believe, really understood the words.

Yet they were clearly impressed with, and somehow identified with the song. They were singing as if the song were "theirs". That couldn't happen with a book. Though I suppose it could happen with theater.

Just a thought.
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2017 10:04:42 PM
Music takes no effort to listen to, is easily hyped and brings in huge amounts of money. In the modern era no talent is required except to nail a vacuous smirk on a face and sell it to the public.
Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2017 7:08:39 PM
Why do you think music is the dominant art form in modern culture? Why not theater, or the visual arts, like painting and sculpture? Why not literature; fiction and poetry?

It isn't, look around you. Everything man made wasn't just made to do the job, it has to look good too.
"Jesus was an atheist"
-Harikrish-

"circle, blue, cross, bacon"
-Vaarka-

"You are forgiven my child... Your lamentations have un-hardened my heart and hence I have lifted thine DDO plague of 503..."
-Airmax1227-

"So sayeth Professor Perussi. All hail his infinite wisdom."
-Goldtop-

"No"
-Airmax1227-

DO NOT TAKE THIS LINK: http://www.debate.org...
Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2017 7:09:48 PM
At 8/25/2017 10:04:42 PM, GrimlyF wrote:
Music takes no effort to listen to, is easily hyped and brings in huge amounts of money. In the modern era no talent is required except to nail a vacuous smirk on a face and sell it to the public.

You can't just whip up a song, try it. You will fail hard.
"Jesus was an atheist"
-Harikrish-

-Vaarka-

"You are forgiven my child... Your lamentations have un-hardened my heart and hence I have lifted thine DDO plague of 503..."
-Airmax1227-

-Goldtop-

"No"
-Airmax1227-

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2017 7:10:49 PM

Because you can listen to music whenever you want, and people usually suck at drawing.
Beginner Series Mafia Mod. PM if interested***
-
"I bet you're thinking right now 'haha I'm a genius'. well you're not" - Valkrin

*puffs bubble pipe*
Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2017 7:12:06 PM
At 8/27/2017 7:10:49 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Because you can listen to music whenever you want, and people usually suck at drawing.

People usually suck at playing instruments too.
"Jesus was an atheist"
-Harikrish-

-Vaarka-

-Airmax1227-

-Goldtop-

"No"
-Airmax1227-

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2017 7:13:12 PM
At 8/27/2017 7:12:06 PM, Perussi wrote:

It really depends. If someone really wants to learn, they can just sit down for an hour or two a day and figure it out usually.

Of course the same can be said for other art forms. I should probably heed my own advice here.
-
"I bet you're thinking right now 'haha I'm a genius'. well you're not" - Valkrin

*puffs bubble pipe*
Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2017 7:14:36 PM
At 8/27/2017 7:13:12 PM, Vaarka wrote:

It really depends. If someone really wants to learn, they can just sit down for an hour or two a day and figure it out usually.

Of course the same can be said for other art forms. I should probably heed my own advice here.

No art is just easy. All art must be practiced a good deal for it to get actually good.
"Jesus was an atheist"
-Harikrish-

-Vaarka-

-Airmax1227-

-Goldtop-

"No"
-Airmax1227-

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2017 7:17:36 PM
At 8/27/2017 7:14:36 PM, Perussi wrote:

No art is just easy. All art must be practiced a good deal for it to get actually good.

Well yeah, I can draw easily. I can't draw well though (save for those few occasions where, for whatever reason, I suddenly can draw really well for like half an hour.
-

*puffs bubble pipe*
Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2017 7:20:23 PM
At 8/27/2017 7:17:36 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Well yeah, I can draw easily. I can't draw well though (save for those few occasions where, for whatever reason, I suddenly can draw really well for like half an hour.

I could be good at drawing if i practiced. I just make up for my skill with other things.
"Jesus was an atheist"
-Harikrish-

-Vaarka-

-Airmax1227-

-Goldtop-

"No"
-Airmax1227-

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2017 7:21:22 PM
At 8/27/2017 7:20:23 PM, Perussi wrote:

I could be good at drawing if i practiced. I just make up for my skill with other things.

Too bad I've spent most of that time playing osu and mapping, lol

tbh mapping is pretty fun, it just takes a lot of time and I get bored usually
-

*puffs bubble pipe*
Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2017 7:25:37 PM
At 8/27/2017 7:21:22 PM, Vaarka wrote:

I don't see a problem with "wasting your time". I play video games, i have spent hours leveling myself up in an rpg game. And i have a good time doing it. I'm going to die one day and it won't matter if i spent my life on a skill or accumulating knowledge or playing video games. I just want to have a good time. On my death bed i'll be more at peace knowing i had a good time rather than having a huge dictionary. Right now mama's making me read books. Which isn't bad, but there's some place that i'd rather be.
"Jesus was an atheist"
-Harikrish-

-Vaarka-

-Airmax1227-

-Goldtop-

"No"
-Airmax1227-

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2017 7:29:39 PM
At 8/27/2017 7:25:37 PM, Perussi wrote:
At 8/27/2017 7:21:22 PM, Vaarka wrote:

I don't see a problem with "wasting your time". I play video games, i have spent hours leveling myself up in an rpg game. And i have a good time doing it. I'm going to die one day and it won't matter if i spent my life on a skill or accumulating knowledge or playing video games. I just want to have a good time. On my death bed i'll be more at peace knowing i had a good time rather than having a huge dictionary. Right now mama's making me read books. Which isn't bad, but there's some place that i'd rather be.

It's not that I'm not having fun, but I spend so much time clicking circles, and I could be doing other stuff that I also enjoy instead

btw, mapping: https://www.youtube.com... -- I've no doubt edited the map since I uploaded this, but you get the idea
-

*puffs bubble pipe*
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2017 11:07:52 AM
At 8/27/2017 7:09:48 PM, Perussi wrote:
At 8/25/2017 10:04:42 PM, GrimlyF wrote:

You can't just whip up a song, try it. You will fail hard.

Whipping up a song is easy. Whipping up a crappy song is even easier. I hear dozens every day which is odd because D.J's keep telling me how great the songs are and how big the "stars" are that write and perform them.

I wonder if any "star" like Beiber, Kanye, any "Rapper" in existence, could actually sing a song like Savage Land's "Truly, Madly, Deeply"? because we know they couldn't write one.