Total Posts:805|Showing Posts:781-805|Last Page
Jump to topic:

New Members Welcome Thread II

kodad
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 10:20:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hi, I'm Kodad, I found this site while looking for debatable topics for my persuasive speech assignment, and it's actually really interesting. I hope to get to know some nice people as well.
sigmaphil
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 1:55:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hi everyone. My name is Phil. I did debate in High School and a very little bit in College. I love to debate anything and everything, much to the annoyance of my wife, lol. Anyway, I'm hoping to get to know many of you.

Thanks,
Phil
SeekerForTruth
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2016 4:40:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hello.

I love debating politics, theology, and philosophy.

I have had many informal debates, seen several formal ones, and have existentially studied logic and epistemology.
SeriousThreat
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2016 3:39:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Good evening,

Freshly minted newbie here. Stumbled upon this site in search of .... myself.

When Trump won, I understood that I do not stand on the solid ground. Like I was for Clinton and I knew some arguments against Trump, BUT overall when Trump won, I thought, why not? Why could not he be a president, right? From then on, I understood that I have no solid arguments for any of my views. So I thought to get some debate buddies, so I can search for evidence for my standpoint and at the same time challenged by another, so I can build solid views about this world. :)

Nevertheless, I am total debate newbie, looking forward to improve that skill of mine, and additionally need to mention that I am real Finance junkie, studying Economics, so will seek fruitful debates on that topic particularly and mostly.

Last but not least, hope to find like minded people to network with. Is not easy to find like minded people these days. :D

Cheers!
oronil
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2016 2:56:03 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Greetings from Puerto Rico/ Saludos desde Puerto Rico:
I am a college junior interested in finance, business communication, politics and economics. I found out about this forum because of a course assignment. I liked the website's user friendly interface and how it is divided by debates, opinions and forums.

It is important that people can share their different opinions, and vote on whether they agree with something or not in an orderly, civilized and anonymous way. I wish to share my personal opinions on different topics and o hear other people's opinions as well.
Markz28
Posts: 20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 8:43:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hi everyone! My name is Mark. I love listening to debates so i joined to learn more about it and expand my views. Hope to meet some cool people here!
cloebowie
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 3:59:01 PM
Posted: 12 months ago
Hello,

I found this website through a search engine. I was searching for a place to debate because I love debating but, oftentimes, find myself in debates with people who don't share the same appreciation for them as I do.

I like to think of myself as outspoken but soft-spoken. I believe that life is a learning experience and that we all learn at our own pase, so it's important to be patient with one another and understand that comprehension takes time but is worth the wait.

I love psychology and philosophy, as well as songwriting and storytelling.
Hayd
Posts: 4,360
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 4:08:25 PM
Posted: 12 months ago
At 11/26/2016 3:59:01 PM, cloebowie wrote:
Hello,

I found this website through a search engine. I was searching for a place to debate because I love debating but, oftentimes, find myself in debates with people who don't share the same appreciation for them as I do.

I like to think of myself as outspoken but soft-spoken. I believe that life is a learning experience and that we all learn at our own pase, so it's important to be patient with one another and understand that comprehension takes time but is worth the wait.

I love psychology and philosophy, as well as songwriting and storytelling.

Sweet. Check out the philosophy forums and start a debate on a topic you are interested in. Hopefully someone good accepts it and you end up having a good debate
cloebowie
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 4:53:30 PM
Posted: 12 months ago
At 11/26/2016 4:08:25 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 11/26/2016 3:59:01 PM, cloebowie wrote:
Hello,

I found this website through a search engine. I was searching for a place to debate because I love debating but, oftentimes, find myself in debates with people who don't share the same appreciation for them as I do.

I like to think of myself as outspoken but soft-spoken. I believe that life is a learning experience and that we all learn at our own pase, so it's important to be patient with one another and understand that comprehension takes time but is worth the wait.

I love psychology and philosophy, as well as songwriting and storytelling.

Sweet. Check out the philosophy forums and start a debate on a topic you are interested in. Hopefully someone good accepts it and you end up having a good debate

Who knew there was an entire fourm dedicated to philosophy. Thank you so much for informing me of this.
Hayd
Posts: 4,360
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 5:06:12 PM
Posted: 12 months ago
At 11/26/2016 4:53:30 PM, cloebowie wrote:
At 11/26/2016 4:08:25 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 11/26/2016 3:59:01 PM, cloebowie wrote:
Hello,

I found this website through a search engine. I was searching for a place to debate because I love debating but, oftentimes, find myself in debates with people who don't share the same appreciation for them as I do.

I like to think of myself as outspoken but soft-spoken. I believe that life is a learning experience and that we all learn at our own pase, so it's important to be patient with one another and understand that comprehension takes time but is worth the wait.

I love psychology and philosophy, as well as songwriting and storytelling.

Sweet. Check out the philosophy forums and start a debate on a topic you are interested in. Hopefully someone good accepts it and you end up having a good debate

Who knew there was an entire fourm dedicated to philosophy. Thank you so much for informing me of this.

Yes, there is an entire forum for most things. You might also want to drop in on the google hangout tonight, the link is in the debate.org forum in the thread called Official DDO Hangout Link. That would be good for you to do, as well as read the stickied thread in this forum telling new members to read it
cloebowie
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 5:46:46 PM
Posted: 12 months ago
At 11/26/2016 5:06:12 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 11/26/2016 4:53:30 PM, cloebowie wrote:
At 11/26/2016 4:08:25 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 11/26/2016 3:59:01 PM, cloebowie wrote:
Hello,

I found this website through a search engine. I was searching for a place to debate because I love debating but, oftentimes, find myself in debates with people who don't share the same appreciation for them as I do.

I like to think of myself as outspoken but soft-spoken. I believe that life is a learning experience and that we all learn at our own pase, so it's important to be patient with one another and understand that comprehension takes time but is worth the wait.

I love psychology and philosophy, as well as songwriting and storytelling.

Sweet. Check out the philosophy forums and start a debate on a topic you are interested in. Hopefully someone good accepts it and you end up having a good debate

Who knew there was an entire fourm dedicated to philosophy. Thank you so much for informing me of this.

Yes, there is an entire forum for most things. You might also want to drop in on the google hangout tonight, the link is in the debate.org forum in the thread called Official DDO Hangout Link. That would be good for you to do, as well as read the stickied thread in this forum telling new members to read it

Tonight? Sorry, I sleep at night, haha. I love reading, however. I'm reading as much as I can.
Hayd
Posts: 4,360
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 5:50:06 PM
Posted: 12 months ago
At 11/26/2016 5:46:46 PM, cloebowie wrote:
At 11/26/2016 5:06:12 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 11/26/2016 4:53:30 PM, cloebowie wrote:
At 11/26/2016 4:08:25 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 11/26/2016 3:59:01 PM, cloebowie wrote:
Hello,

I found this website through a search engine. I was searching for a place to debate because I love debating but, oftentimes, find myself in debates with people who don't share the same appreciation for them as I do.

I like to think of myself as outspoken but soft-spoken. I believe that life is a learning experience and that we all learn at our own pase, so it's important to be patient with one another and understand that comprehension takes time but is worth the wait.

I love psychology and philosophy, as well as songwriting and storytelling.

Sweet. Check out the philosophy forums and start a debate on a topic you are interested in. Hopefully someone good accepts it and you end up having a good debate

Who knew there was an entire fourm dedicated to philosophy. Thank you so much for informing me of this.

Yes, there is an entire forum for most things. You might also want to drop in on the google hangout tonight, the link is in the debate.org forum in the thread called Official DDO Hangout Link. That would be good for you to do, as well as read the stickied thread in this forum telling new members to read it

Tonight? Sorry, I sleep at night, haha. I love reading, however. I'm reading as much as I can.

As in like after dinner
cloebowie
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 5:56:12 PM
Posted: 12 months ago
At 11/26/2016 5:50:06 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 11/26/2016 5:46:46 PM, cloebowie wrote:
At 11/26/2016 5:06:12 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 11/26/2016 4:53:30 PM, cloebowie wrote:
At 11/26/2016 4:08:25 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 11/26/2016 3:59:01 PM, cloebowie wrote:
Hello,

I found this website through a search engine. I was searching for a place to debate because I love debating but, oftentimes, find myself in debates with people who don't share the same appreciation for them as I do.

I like to think of myself as outspoken but soft-spoken. I believe that life is a learning experience and that we all learn at our own pase, so it's important to be patient with one another and understand that comprehension takes time but is worth the wait.

I love psychology and philosophy, as well as songwriting and storytelling.

Sweet. Check out the philosophy forums and start a debate on a topic you are interested in. Hopefully someone good accepts it and you end up having a good debate

Who knew there was an entire fourm dedicated to philosophy. Thank you so much for informing me of this.

Yes, there is an entire forum for most things. You might also want to drop in on the google hangout tonight, the link is in the debate.org forum in the thread called Official DDO Hangout Link. That would be good for you to do, as well as read the stickied thread in this forum telling new members to read it

Tonight? Sorry, I sleep at night, haha. I love reading, however. I'm reading as much as I can.

As in like after dinner

I was just being the dork I am. Thank you for giving me something to think about; I'll think about it.
DrRisen
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 7:33:18 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Hi guys! I can't believe I didn't find this site a long time ago. I love to debate by nature. Sometimes people don't understand that when I try to disprove them its nothing personal, and its caused me to inadvertently burn some bridges. I really hope that this is going to be a place where I can really open up the afterburners in my head without the risk of setting people on fire. By the way, nice job on those tutorial videos, and you guys get brownie points for making a stand against popup ads. Whelp, I'm off to find a debate and most likely get destroyed by a senior member.

WISH ME LUCK
JRisen
BenjiF
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2016 5:24:38 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
New to this debating Forum, I am here because i want to learn more and want to share my opinion about politics.
Thoguth
Posts: 18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2016 10:59:45 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
I love this place. I only hate that I just now discovered it; I think ... well, it has some quirks and flaws, but for the most part it's freakin' awesome.

I am not formally trained in debate, but I was trained to write essays and do public speaking in school, to persuade and influence from books and sales/marketing careers at work, and to argue tenaciously from being opinionated on the Internet. My credentials include BBS's, e-mail lists, Slashdot, Reddit, Facebook, and even embarrassed to admit, but yes: even twitter.

Because of my experience in more unstructured/conversational realms, I'm probably going to take some time adjusting to this new format, but I do like a good back-and-forth, I love to build a case, and above all, I sincerely take great pleasure in learning the views of others.

Oh, and for now at least, I'm lying about my age. Because when a website asks you your DOB, you lie. It's what you do.

Not sure how "friends" work here, but send me one if it's possible (and you're not a jerk) and we can be Debate.org buddies! Or just pick a topic and we can argue about something.
Dialogue is the air that clear thinking breathes.
Thoguth
Posts: 18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2016 11:06:26 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 11/26/2016 4:08:25 PM, Hayd wrote:

Sweet. Check out the philosophy forums and start a debate on a topic you are interested in. Hopefully someone good accepts it and you end up having a good debate

is that the way most debates get started here? Being a noob, I really have not much idea of the best way to do stuff.
Dialogue is the air that clear thinking breathes.
roothaan
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2017 8:43:18 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
Hello all,
I'm new here, so I thought I might introduce myself. My name is Erik, I'm Dutch and I am a Jesuit in formation. I currently live in the Birmingham novitiate of the British province. With all the praying going on here, I felt that I needed some intellectual exercise. I love debating, especially politics, economics and theology, but also literature, art and history. I have already started a debate, if you have any suggestions on how to improve my style, presentation or arguments, etc I would be very interested. I'm looking forward to some interesting debates!
He casts the mighty from their thrones and raises the lowly.- the Magnificat.
aarongolbin
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2017 12:05:49 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
Debate.org is really losing it's hype. The other day I found a debate website called DebateIsland.com, which is new and up and coming. It has an award-winning design, simplistic, modern debate experience and more. It is much better than debate.org and when it gets picked up, Debate.org may go out of business. You should check it out.
CosmicSoL
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2017 5:24:37 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
Hey guys! Relatively new member, I've lurked for a bit, but never been active, I just want to learn more about the World and about different views and perspectives, looking to just talk with more people. Happy to be here!