Total Posts:21|Showing Posts:1-21
Jump to topic:

Opinly mobile app for debate.org

opinly
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2017 7:05:28 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Hello fellow debate.org members. I'm sure a lot of you noticed that debate.org is losing its hype. It's blog hasn't been active for awhile now and many people are leaving the site. I noticed these issues and decided that it would be a good idea to create my own app for debate.org. I have spent a long time creating this app, and I am very happy with it. I have made it similar to debate.org in the fact that you can post opinions and people can argue back and forth. I have added some improvements that I thought the site really needed. For example if you are trying to prove a hard point. There is a simple button that allows you to add evidence about your argument. It searches the web for support to your argument, without you having to research the matter yourself. I have also implemented the big issues feature so that you can express your views on different matters and see what other people agree with. I am still developing this app, but I thought since many of you have used debate.org you would have a good idea of what should be added to this app. Please check out the page I have made for this app and feel free to comment either here or on the page with questions comments or any thing else. Thank you!
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 9,586
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2017 10:21:34 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/10/2017 7:05:28 AM, opinly wrote:

Do you have the support of the site owners?
"If anyone wants to engage in casual anti-Semitism, then whatever." ~Max

Techno-Hyperkant arrives from the future. The Categorical Imperative ignites the eternal Nightmare of Ends. You are delighted to death.

Vaarka swung his sword at the mod. However, since I am now incorporeal, he ends up accidentally striking the entire American landmass (It's a REALLY bastard sword), destroying both continents. Spiders are now at 50% of capacity."
Perussi
Posts: 3,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2017 12:17:09 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Hype for a debate site! WOO!
"Jesus was an atheist"
-Harikrish-

"circle, blue, cross, bacon"
-Vaarka-

"You are forgiven my child... Your lamentations have un-hardened my heart and hence I have lifted thine DDO plague of 503..."
-Airmax1227-

"So sayeth Professor Perussi. All hail his infinite wisdom."
-Goldtop-

"No"
-Airmax1227-

DO NOT TAKE THIS LINK: http://www.debate.org...
TheGirlWithNoIdentity
Posts: 1,418
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2017 1:24:47 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Hmm . . . actual sentences and a product we might be interested in . . . either this is an actual human or the spambots are evolving.
"HEY GUYS I ASSOCIATE WITH GIRL!"
- Vaarka
warren42
Posts: 3,519
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2017 2:34:50 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/10/2017 7:05:28 AM, opinly wrote:
Hello fellow debate.org members. I'm sure a lot of you noticed that debate.org is losing its hype. It's blog hasn't been active for awhile now and many people are leaving the site. I noticed these issues and decided that it would be a good idea to create my own app for debate.org. I have spent a long time creating this app, and I am very happy with it. I have made it similar to debate.org in the fact that you can post opinions and people can argue back and forth. I have added some improvements that I thought the site really needed. For example if you are trying to prove a hard point. There is a simple button that allows you to add evidence about your argument. It searches the web for support to your argument, without you having to research the matter yourself. I have also implemented the big issues feature so that you can express your views on different matters and see what other people agree with. I am still developing this app, but I thought since many of you have used debate.org you would have a good idea of what should be added to this app. Please check out the page I have made for this app and feel free to comment either here or on the page with questions comments or any thing else. Thank you!

Taking away research levels the playing field between good debaters and awful ones (in most debates). Not sure why that'd be added.
opinly
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2017 9:14:46 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/10/2017 1:24:47 PM, TheGirlWithNoIdentity wrote:
Hmm . . . actual sentences and a product we might be interested in . . . either this is an actual human or the spambots are evolving.

Technically if you are uninterested in this than it is spam, but I figured that people on this site might be interested that's why I posted it here. In which case it would be sharing a useful product and not spam. Feel free to debate me on that :)
opinly
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2017 9:16:06 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/10/2017 10:21:34 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/10/2017 7:05:28 AM, opinly wrote:

Do you have the support of the site owners?

The site owners abandoned the site, that's why I'm creating this app. The site owners haven't made changes to this site in over 2 years.
opinly
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2017 9:18:13 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/10/2017 2:34:50 PM, warren42 wrote:
Taking away research levels the playing field between good debaters and awful ones (in most debates). Not sure why that'd be added.

I wanted to make the arguments more helpful, so that people aren't just posting random ideas. It isn't about winning debates. It is like the opinions part of this site
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 9,586
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2017 9:18:45 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/11/2017 9:16:06 PM, opinly wrote:
At 1/10/2017 10:21:34 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/10/2017 7:05:28 AM, opinly wrote:

Do you have the support of the site owners?

The site owners abandoned the site, that's why I'm creating this app. The site owners haven't made changes to this site in over 2 years.

Regardless, DDO is technically theirs. They own the copyright, and anything related to DDO needs their permission to be made. Juggle can come after you legally and, frankly, win.
"If anyone wants to engage in casual anti-Semitism, then whatever." ~Max

Techno-Hyperkant arrives from the future. The Categorical Imperative ignites the eternal Nightmare of Ends. You are delighted to death.

Vaarka swung his sword at the mod. However, since I am now incorporeal, he ends up accidentally striking the entire American landmass (It's a REALLY bastard sword), destroying both continents. Spiders are now at 50% of capacity."
opinly
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2017 9:23:09 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/11/2017 9:18:45 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
Regardless, DDO is technically theirs. They own the copyright, and anything related to DDO needs their permission to be made. Juggle can come after you legally and, frankly, win.

The app has no reference to debate.org. It just has a similar idea. I was just sharing it here because I thought people might be interested.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 9,586
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2017 9:38:49 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/11/2017 9:23:09 PM, opinly wrote:
At 1/11/2017 9:18:45 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
Regardless, DDO is technically theirs. They own the copyright, and anything related to DDO needs their permission to be made. Juggle can come after you legally and, frankly, win.

The app has no reference to debate.org. It just has a similar idea. I was just sharing it here because I thought people might be interested.

Oh. Well then, continue on in your efforts. I'd definitely use it.
"If anyone wants to engage in casual anti-Semitism, then whatever." ~Max

Techno-Hyperkant arrives from the future. The Categorical Imperative ignites the eternal Nightmare of Ends. You are delighted to death.

Vaarka swung his sword at the mod. However, since I am now incorporeal, he ends up accidentally striking the entire American landmass (It's a REALLY bastard sword), destroying both continents. Spiders are now at 50% of capacity."
DumbellDoor
Posts: 16
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2017 10:30:32 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/11/2017 9:16:06 PM, opinly wrote:
At 1/10/2017 10:21:34 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/10/2017 7:05:28 AM, opinly wrote:

Do you have the support of the site owners?

The site owners abandoned the site, that's why I'm creating this app. The site owners haven't made changes to this site in over 2 years.

Many users of this site access this from computers and tablets rather than phones (easier to format debates etc).

You will be alienating all of them if you make this app somehow be different in what you are able to do than the computer form of the site.
Life is short, waste it well.
opinly
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2017 6:40:54 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/11/2017 10:30:32 PM, DumbellDoor wrote:

Many users of this site access this from computers and tablets rather than phones (easier to format debates etc).

You will be alienating all of them if you make this app somehow be different in what you are able to do than the computer form of the site.

I am working on making it as user friendly as possible so that it is more handy without reducing the benefits a large screen can provide.
opinly
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2017 9:40:57 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Opinly is now in its beta testing phase for android. Please contact me if you would like to help test, or have feature suggestions. I will add your name to a special contributors page in the settings for anyone who helps. I look forward to sharing this app with all of you :)
Almantino
Posts: 35
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2017 1:26:53 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 1/10/2017 7:05:28 AM, opinly wrote:

I just downloaded it and honestly, I like it - it's like a compact mini version of DDO with less bugs and an easier-to-manage site. The only problems would be the lack of the competitiveness that this site thrives on, as well as the fact that it shouldn't be used completely as an alternative for DDO, as that would split the user base (some people can't access Opinly).

But all in all, good job man, this app is fantastic.
The show must go all over the place, or something like that.
opinly
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2017 1:55:18 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 1/23/2017 1:26:53 AM, Almantino wrote:

I just downloaded it and honestly, I like it - it's like a compact mini version of DDO with less bugs and an easier-to-manage site. The only problems would be the lack of the competitiveness that this site thrives on, as well as the fact that it shouldn't be used completely as an alternative for DDO, as that would split the user base (some people can't access Opinly).

But all in all, good job man, this app is fantastic.

I'm glad to hear you like it. Do you think that adding a leaderboard would be a good idea to give users a more competitive environment. And I think of it more as an add on to this site, and not a replacement.
Almantino
Posts: 35
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2017 2:02:56 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 1/23/2017 1:55:18 AM, opinly wrote:
At 1/23/2017 1:26:53 AM, Almantino wrote:

I just downloaded it and honestly, I like it - it's like a compact mini version of DDO with less bugs and an easier-to-manage site. The only problems would be the lack of the competitiveness that this site thrives on, as well as the fact that it shouldn't be used completely as an alternative for DDO, as that would split the user base (some people can't access Opinly).

But all in all, good job man, this app is fantastic.

I'm glad to hear you like it. Do you think that adding a leaderboard would be a good idea to give users a more competitive environment. And I think of it more as an add on to this site, and not a replacement.

Yes, an addition to this site - that's a perfect description.
I think a leaderboard would be a great idea.
The show must go all over the place, or something like that.
opinly
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2017 2:18:36 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 1/23/2017 2:02:56 AM, Almantino wrote:

Yes, an addition to this site - that's a perfect description.
I think a leaderboard would be a great idea.

Ok, I will add a leaderboard. I am releasing a new version in a few hours that will begin to track points so that I can add a leaderboard in the next update.
aarongolbin
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2017 12:04:29 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
Wow, that's a great point. Debate.org is really losing it's hype. The other day I found a debate website called DebateIsland.com, which is new and up and coming. It has an award-winning design, simplistic, modern debate experience and more. It is much better than debate.org and when it gets picked up, Debate.org may go out of business. You should check it out.
Elshara
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2017 6:27:51 PM
Posted: 5 days ago
Contacted you about this. I'm in the process of having a website developed called ForDebating.com, and a mobile app for it is something I had plans to do. It sounds like you've already done some of the work, but I can't find it on the Android store when I looked. Let me know if you are still interested in working on this and integrating it into my site. (ASP.NET, C#, and MySQL)