Jump to topic:

I'm hurting this economy- here's why

Fatuous
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2017 4:15:05 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
To put it simply, I'm a wasted investment. My parents invested in me by paying for food clothing and shelter. The government and it's taxpayers invested in me through public schools and police stations. All of this money was invested in the next generation so they have their ability to CONTRIBUTE BACK and be successful enough to turn an investment into a PROFIT.

However in my case, all of the tax-dollars and the money my parents spent on me, didn't yield any successful results. The economy is going down the tubes all because of people like me, people who can't contribute back despite all of the money that was invested in them.

Everyday I chip away at the earths resources and I have no way to contribute back.
The only thing I know how to do is whine and complain, and that keeps me from jumping off a building LOL XD
FanboyMctroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2017 5:35:03 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/1/2017 4:15:05 PM, Fatuous wrote:
To put it simply, I'm a wasted investment. My parents invested in me by paying for food clothing and shelter. The government and it's taxpayers invested in me through public schools and police stations. All of this money was invested in the next generation so they have their ability to CONTRIBUTE BACK and be successful enough to turn an investment into a PROFIT.

However in my case, all of the tax-dollars and the money my parents spent on me, didn't yield any successful results. The economy is going down the tubes all because of people like me, people who can't contribute back despite all of the money that was invested in them.

Everyday I chip away at the earths resources and I have no way to contribute back.
The only thing I know how to do is whine and complain, and that keeps me from jumping off a building LOL XD

You need to stop beating yourself up, your parents love you and you are special just like anybody else. You contribute to society in other ways, not everyone is a tax paying worker. People like you bring people joy like your parents and there is more to life then just turning profits.

Besides I like your posts, without them we wouldn't have that many interesting things to debate.
Chedgy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2017 11:42:29 AM
Posted: 4 months ago

You already contribute back - when you buy something you are paying sales taxes.
Most people do not 'pay back' what they owe to the government, here in the UK only the top 20% or so of earners pay more into the system, over their lifetime, that they get out.
There is also a recognised difference over a life - usually it's only during the ages of 35-55 when you are likely to make a net contribution, these are your most productive years.

You also should remember that people value other things than money - this is why people take holidays for example.
Picasso was poverty stricken during his life and I believe he sold only one painting, now people are prepared to pay millions. So his contribution actually came after he died.
Archaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2017 10:30:08 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Don't look at it this way. The system doesn't expect all the kids to contribute society in the future. Nothing is perfect, there will always be a small percentage of them that fail in life. In the case of the US, the economic indicators tell that everything is under control, so what your country spends on their people and you is still a good investment.
HairlessApe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2017 8:25:59 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 8/12/2017 10:30:08 PM, Archaholic wrote:
Don't look at it this way. The system doesn't expect all the kids to contribute society in the future. Nothing is perfect, there will always be a small percentage of them that fail in life. In the case of the US, the economic indicators tell that everything is under control, so what your country spends on their people and you is still a good investment.

Not according to neo-liberal, policy in vogue with the rightwing. If you are using any government service that the particular rightwinger you are speaking to doesn't use himself or his family member, then you are a taker. If however, you are a rightwinger and you are using a government service then that service, for you alone or anyone like you, becomes "that's what we pay taxes for" or "I paid into it".

Just as a funny anecdote, there is a guy on my facebook who gets SNAP/Food Stamps, works under the table doing odd job-type construction. He rides a nice Harley and has been a shitbird all his 50 something years, so of course he has a felony record, which he claims is the source of all his financial woes. "A felon can't get a job" is one of his mantras. He sure hates those liberal takers and when called on the fact that he receives Food Stamps he claims that he paid into the system during those times in his life when he worked at a job that withheld taxes, so he's just taking back his money...
One could surely argue that the Buddhist tradition, taken as a whole, represents the richest source of contemplative wisdom that any civilization has produced. -Sam Harris
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2017 1:06:36 PM
Posted: 2 months ago

No arguments here