Best economics books?

Makijaveli
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2017 12:51:09 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Hey,

I am a 1st year student on economy college(in europe) and well i m looking to "broaden" my knowledge. Basically i want to start learning some subjects besides uni but honestly i have no idea where to start from. Since my goal is to pursue finance, banks and buisness i am not quite sure should i only focus on that? I honestly want to understand each "field" of economics(trade, analysis etc).
What would you recommend me to do? What books should i start first? Should i focus on history first(Keynes first comes in mind).

Thanks so much!
TheMarketLibertarian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2017 7:22:47 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/8/2017 12:51:09 PM, Makijaveli wrote:
Hey,

I am a 1st year student on economy college(in europe) and well i m looking to "broaden" my knowledge. Basically i want to start learning some subjects besides uni but honestly i have no idea where to start from. Since my goal is to pursue finance, banks and buisness i am not quite sure should i only focus on that? I honestly want to understand each "field" of economics(trade, analysis etc).
What would you recommend me to do? What books should i start first? Should i focus on history first(Keynes first comes in mind).

If you want to learn Economics read Wealth of Nations before anything else- without that any other economics book will sound like a foreign language so to speak. You need to learn Chinese before you read a book in Chinese.

Thanks so much!
Sean_Daniel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2017 9:51:14 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
I second Wealth of Nations as an important start. Starting in the 19th century is probably best. The 20th begins a lot of oppositional positions, and without a basic understanding is bound to create more confusion, or false assumptions than good ones.

Read:
Kapital by Karl Marx (When you read Smith. They're in opposition to one another, so a good balance)

Then move onto Keynes, and Friedman.

Know this,

The notion that money originating out of barter is false! Debt systems came before currency. Currency as a result of quantified value of debt. (It's a patently false western view of economics which should not be continued!)

Best advice, always read the oppositions point of view.