Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

Fair Trade

TheMarketLibertarian
Posts: 543
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2017 8:13:10 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 10/17/2017 4:51:55 PM, Danielle wrote:
Is there a difference between free trade and fair trade? If so, what is it?

Free trade is where you are able to buy goods from abroad, 'fair' trade is where those foreigners are paid a 'fair' sum for whatever it is you are buying.
John_C_1812
Posts: 1,363
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2017 5:23:06 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 10/17/2017 4:51:55 PM, Danielle wrote:
Is there a difference between free trade and fair trade? If so, what is it?

I would understand fair trade as an governed conditional set to free trade. Free trade symbolizing the choice of how, and to who to do business, choice being left to the companies themselves. As there self-value has not be pre-set.

Fare trade is a term of arbitration which is a approximation of equality. It is not by fact equal, it is balanced to present a form of balance which may be viewed as equal. In the limits of economic condition.
TheMarketLibertarian
Posts: 543
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2017 2:56:59 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 10/19/2017 8:13:56 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 10/19/2017 8:13:10 PM, TheMarketLibertarian wrote:

What is fair / the fair sum, in your estimation?

That's the point- it's subjective. I would say a fair price for a 12 oz bag of coffee would be 6$, but you might say it is 5$, or 10$, or 12$. That's why prices should be negotiated.
Greyparrot
Posts: 21,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2017 9:31:51 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 10/17/2017 4:51:55 PM, Danielle wrote:
Is there a difference between free trade and fair trade? If so, what is it?

You can't have fair trades without free trades.
The extinction of the species is worse than the extinction of the nation, which is worse than the extinction of the tribe, which is worse than the extinction of the family, which is worse than the extinction of the individual. The second he reverses that list of priorities, he becomes a coward, and would be summarily disposed of by any civilized society that values its own survival.
GrimlyF
Posts: 1,305
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2017 9:08:26 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
For the past 5yrs or so Fair Trade has been the watchcry of our major supermarkets. Lately the shops have been quietly moving away from Fair Trade which makes me, an old cynic, watch for stories about exploitation. I have had a gentle laugh at the posts here from users writing on their opinion of fair prices for one commodity or another. Fair Trade pricing has nothing whatsoever to do with the consumer so it doesn't matter what we might fairly pay for stuff. What I have always wondered is how things like my Fair Trade bananas can be 20% cheaper than the other bananas on sale in the same shop and why sell such an obvious (to my eyes) loser as a 20% more expensive, but seemingly of the same quality, item. Can the Markets not pay the growers 10% more and take less profit, isn't that what Free Trade is about? More help for farmers to achieve a proper, livable wage so they can send their children to school, buy needed medicines for their families.
GrimlyF
Posts: 1,305
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2017 9:15:26 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
P.S. Free Trade means no import duty on your goods to another country or theirs to yours. Britain's Brexit means our Free Trade agreement with the entirety of the other E.U. countries will be cancelled and we will have to pay as from next year.
John_C_1812
Posts: 1,363
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2017 5:37:46 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 11/1/2017 9:08:26 AM, GrimlyF wrote:
For the past 5yrs or so Fair Trade has been the watchcry of our major supermarkets. Lately the shops have been quietly moving away from Fair Trade which makes me, an old cynic, watch for stories about exploitation. I have had a gentle laugh at the posts here from users writing on their opinion of fair prices for one commodity or another. Fair Trade pricing has nothing whatsoever to do with the consumer so it doesn't matter what we might fairly pay for stuff. What I have always wondered is how things like my Fair Trade bananas can be 20% cheaper than the other bananas on sale in the same shop and why sell such an obvious (to my eyes) loser as a 20% more expensive, but seemingly of the same quality, item. Can the Markets not pay the growers 10% more and take less profit, isn't that what Free Trade is about? More help for farmers to achieve a proper, livable wage so they can send their children to school, buy needed medicines for their families.

Farm Produce is far more complicated to fair trade. It is very susceptible to natural disasters and drought. While ignoring the land management skills of farmers. Banana's by my understanding are tide to plants which produce chocolate. Those who's beans for chocolate are of better quality can push banana cheaper. That is a general I have gotten.
GrimlyF
Posts: 1,305
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2017 3:34:35 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 11/6/2017 5:37:46 AM, John_C_1812 wrote:
At 11/1/2017 9:08:26 AM, GrimlyF wrote:
For the past 5yrs or so Fair Trade has been the watchcry of our major supermarkets. Lately the shops have been quietly moving away from Fair Trade which makes me, an old cynic, watch for stories about exploitation. I have had a gentle laugh at the posts here from users writing on their opinion of fair prices for one commodity or another. Fair Trade pricing has nothing whatsoever to do with the consumer so it doesn't matter what we might fairly pay for stuff. What I have always wondered is how things like my Fair Trade bananas can be 20% cheaper than the other bananas on sale in the same shop and why sell such an obvious (to my eyes) loser as a 20% more expensive, but seemingly of the same quality, item. Can the Markets not pay the growers 10% more and take less profit, isn't that what Free Trade is about? More help for farmers to achieve a proper, livable wage so they can send their children to school, buy needed medicines for their families.

Farm Produce is far more complicated to fair trade. It is very susceptible to natural disasters and drought. While ignoring the land management skills of farmers. Banana's by my understanding are tide to plants which produce chocolate. Those who's beans for chocolate are of better quality can push banana cheaper. That is a general I have gotten.

I don't know where you do your shopping but I don't generally equate bananas with chocolate and neither do English supermarkets. Fair trade has nothing to do with good/bad harvests but assures a fair price between the smaller and larger growers. Fair Trade isn't a charity and if a grower, large or small, has no produce they don't get paid. As for quality you won't sell manky bananas no matter how good your cocoa beans might be.
John_C_1812
Posts: 1,363
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2017 5:44:33 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 11/6/2017 3:34:35 PM, GrimlyF wrote:
At 11/6/2017 5:37:46 AM, John_C_1812 wrote:
At 11/1/2017 9:08:26 AM, GrimlyF wrote:
For the past 5yrs or so Fair Trade has been the watchcry of our major supermarkets. Lately the shops have been quietly moving away from Fair Trade which makes me, an old cynic, watch for stories about exploitation. I have had a gentle laugh at the posts here from users writing on their opinion of fair prices for one commodity or another. Fair Trade pricing has nothing whatsoever to do with the consumer so it doesn't matter what we might fairly pay for stuff. What I have always wondered is how things like my Fair Trade bananas can be 20% cheaper than the other bananas on sale in the same shop and why sell such an obvious (to my eyes) loser as a 20% more expensive, but seemingly of the same quality, item. Can the Markets not pay the growers 10% more and take less profit, isn't that what Free Trade is about? More help for farmers to achieve a proper, livable wage so they can send their children to school, buy needed medicines for their families.

Farm Produce is far more complicated to fair trade. It is very susceptible to natural disasters and drought. While ignoring the land management skills of farmers. Banana's by my understanding are tide to plants which produce chocolate. Those who's beans for chocolate are of better quality can push banana cheaper. That is a general I have gotten.

I don't know where you do your shopping but I don't generally equate bananas with chocolate and neither do English supermarkets. Fair trade has nothing to do with good/bad harvests but assures a fair price between the smaller and larger growers. Fair Trade isn't a charity and if a grower, large or small, has no produce they don't get paid. As for quality you won't sell manky bananas no matter how good your cocoa beans might be.

I had remembered it a having something to do with pollination of the plant. I just found it interesting when reading about it. this article said the Cacao plants are very decorate, and need shelter as the reason.

http://www.worldagroforestry.org...
Nac
Posts: 404
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2017 11:54:26 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
Free Trade: A trading policy promoting the absence of tariffs and trade barriers. The TPP and NAFTA are examples of policies trying to achieve the effect. It is also used within the European Economic Area.

Fair Trade: A trading policy promoting a more equitable trading environment for developing countries. The World Fair Trade Organization focuses on a set of principles to establish this: https://wfto.com....
GrimlyF
Posts: 1,305
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2017 6:11:41 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 11/13/2017 5:44:33 AM, John_C_1812 wrote:
At 11/6/2017 3:34:35 PM, GrimlyF wrote:
At 11/6/2017 5:37:46 AM, John_C_1812 wrote:
At 11/1/2017 9:08:26 AM, GrimlyF wrote:
For the past 5yrs or so Fair Trade has been the watchcry of our major supermarkets. Lately the shops have been quietly moving away from Fair Trade which makes me, an old cynic, watch for stories about exploitation. I have had a gentle laugh at the posts here from users writing on their opinion of fair prices for one commodity or another. Fair Trade pricing has nothing whatsoever to do with the consumer so it doesn't matter what we might fairly pay for stuff. What I have always wondered is how things like my Fair Trade bananas can be 20% cheaper than the other bananas on sale in the same shop and why sell such an obvious (to my eyes) loser as a 20% more expensive, but seemingly of the same quality, item. Can the Markets not pay the growers 10% more and take less profit, isn't that what Free Trade is about? More help for farmers to achieve a proper, livable wage so they can send their children to school, buy needed medicines for their families.

Farm Produce is far more complicated to fair trade. It is very susceptible to natural disasters and drought. While ignoring the land management skills of farmers. Banana's by my understanding are tide to plants which produce chocolate. Those who's beans for chocolate are of better quality can push banana cheaper. That is a general I have gotten.

I don't know where you do your shopping but I don't generally equate bananas with chocolate and neither do English supermarkets. Fair trade has nothing to do with good/bad harvests but assures a fair price between the smaller and larger growers. Fair Trade isn't a charity and if a grower, large or small, has no produce they don't get paid. As for quality you won't sell manky bananas no matter how good your cocoa beans might be.

I had remembered it a having something to do with pollination of the plant. I just found it interesting when reading about it. this article said the Cacao plants are very decorate, and need shelter as the reason.

http://www.worldagroforestry.org...

An interesting little factoid for you regarding your "decorous" fruit. Bananas have an enzyme in their skin which, when placed next to most other fruits or vegetables, makes them rot faster. When I buy unripe fruit I put them, out of their bags, next to the bananas and it does indeed make them "ripen" quicker than the others.
GrimlyF
Posts: 1,305
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2017 2:38:42 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 11/20/2017 10:24:40 AM, DavidSTedrow wrote:
Thanks for sharing the amazing post.

Regarding "ripen in the bag" fruit and vegetables it always strikes me, in a lackadaisical way, that nothing dead "ripens", except in a "that smells a bit ripe" kind on way. I wonder which of our government departments allows supermarkets to sell putrefying goods and market them as if they are a good thing.