Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2017 1:06:51 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 1/25/2017 3:52:15 AM, Raisor wrote:
At 1/25/2017 3:20:27 AM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 1/25/2017 12:09:06 AM, Raisor wrote:
At 1/2/2017 9:51:49 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
you have no major dept to pay off, you have rent or mortgage, you don't need any big ticket items
what would you do? save it all, some of it, invest, party, donate to charity?

There is not enough information to provide an answer.

Do you have an emergency fund? If not, the 10k is now your emergency fund. Keep it in a high interest savings account. Top interest rate is about 1% right now.

If you have an emergency fund- how old are you? Do you have any other savings/investment? How close are you to retiring? What is you risk profile?

Me personally- every cent would go to Vanguard. I am bond heavy right now so it would all go into my equity funds.

A better person than me would probably give 10% to charity as well.

it was just a general question, I was bored lol, I'm on par to retire with more money than is projected I will need, by about 5% more, I can retire with a pension in 10 years, my employer has the rule of 80, but doubt I could afford to do it that early. I have about 12k in savings.

Pensions scare me- your future depends on your pension program's solvency. Pension programs can and do fail. Many don't, but a pension is not a guarantee.

You should start saving and investing more aggressively. How long would that 12k last you if you had to live on it? What would you do if your pension program failed?

I have about 100k in a 401k so I'm not solely relying on the pension, my rent is $760, my car I paid off early so no payment there, just the usual stuff, food, car insurance etc.
BobTheRocket2 wrote:
Arguing with a liberal is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what, it's going to knock over the pieces, crap all over the board, and strut around like it's victorious.

"Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual.
- Drizzt Do'Urden"
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2017 10:08:29 PM
At 1/25/2017 12:42:39 AM, Raisor wrote:
At 1/25/2017 12:30:50 AM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/24/2017 11:49:02 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 1/3/2017 8:46:06 PM, sadolite wrote:
10K isn't much money anymore. It would take decades using traditional compound interest methods to turn into anything substantial. I would try and find someone with enough money to buy a property and use the 10K to fix it up and flip it and split the profits. Me personally, I would buy car parts. I will never be able to retire, might as well enjoy life while I can.

Historically the stock market gives 7-9% annual real returns. That means the 10k would be 20k, 40k, and 80k after 10, 20, 30 years respectively. Yes investing is about be patient and diligent, but the reward is pretty substantial.

Not sure why you are planning on never retiring. It is never too late to start planning.

Eh you are aware that the country is 20 trillion in debt don't you? That debt will soon come due and you and I will have to pay it. The first thing the govt will do is devalue the currency thus wiping out any money you have or will save. It will be worthless.

Lmao ok, well if that happens I will be screwed no matter what I do. If you are wrong and the global economy does NOT irreparably collapse, the people who invested will be rich and those who played chicken little will be wondering why they can't retire.

FWIW there have been many major economic crises and the world always recovers. Yeah WW3 could happen but it is impossible to plan for black swan events.

"The global economy will implode and never recover" is a B A D excuse to not save for retirement. If you are really that scared you should be dumping money into barter goods and real estate- no matter what you should be doing something other than planning to fail.

No country in the history of man has been able to use a fiat currency responsibly all without exception collapsed. History always repeats always. You give no reasons why it should not but only hope it doesn't. The 200 trillion will come due absolutely and when it does the US dollar will absolutely collapse absolutely. The US dollar will be replaced by another currency as the world reserve currency if the debt continues to rise and it becomes more and more worthless. The US dollar has lost 90% of it's value as a world reserve currency over the last 40 years.

Enter the SDR http://www.businessinsider.com...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2017 10:17:16 PM
At 1/25/2017 10:08:29 PM, sadolite wrote:
10K isn't much money anymore. It would take decades using traditional compound interest methods to turn into anything substantial. I would try and find someone with enough money to buy a property and use the 10K to fix it up and flip it and split the profits. Me personally, I would buy car parts. I will never be able to retire, might as well enjoy life while I can.

Historically the stock market gives 7-9% annual real returns. That means the 10k would be 20k, 40k, and 80k after 10, 20, 30 years respectively. Yes investing is about be patient and diligent, but the reward is pretty substantial.

Not sure why you are planning on never retiring. It is never too late to start planning.

Eh you are aware that the country is 20 trillion in debt don't you? That debt will soon come due and you and I will have to pay it. The first thing the govt will do is devalue the currency thus wiping out any money you have or will save. It will be worthless.

Lmao ok, well if that happens I will be screwed no matter what I do. If you are wrong and the global economy does NOT irreparably collapse, the people who invested will be rich and those who played chicken little will be wondering why they can't retire.

FWIW there have been many major economic crises and the world always recovers. Yeah WW3 could happen but it is impossible to plan for black swan events.

"The global economy will implode and never recover" is a B A D excuse to not save for retirement. If you are really that scared you should be dumping money into barter goods and real estate- no matter what you should be doing something other than planning to fail.

No country in the history of man has been able to use a fiat currency responsibly all without exception collapsed. History always repeats always. You give no reasons why it should not but only hope it doesn't. The 200 trillion will come due absolutely and when it does the US dollar will absolutely collapse absolutely. The US dollar will be replaced by another currency as the world reserve currency if the debt continues to rise and it becomes more and more worthless. The US dollar has lost 90% of it's value as a world reserve currency over the last 40 years.

But look on the bright side, gay people will be able to get married, woman will still be able to get abortions (on their own dime if they have one) and men who like to dress up as woman can take a piss and a dump in the ladies room. So there's that.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2017 10:54:57 PM
At 1/25/2017 10:08:29 PM, sadolite wrote:

Hey man you can do what you want. Fantasize about your hypothetical global meltdown and be irresponsible with your money and never retire- that's your right as American.
I'm not good...I'm not lawful, neutral, or chaotic- none of the above.
marxian_ginger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2017 2:51:12 AM
move to africa, fund a private army with some of those $100 AK's (soviet mass production heck yeah), and then i can finally check that off my bucket list
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2017 8:29:17 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
you have no major dept to pay off, you have rent or mortgage, you don't need any big ticket items

I'd take 33% of it and place it in a savings account. I'd take another 27% and invest it in metals that appreciate in value. I'd then take another 20% and find a long-term investment opportunity on the stock market. Finally, I'd take the last 20% and use that as spending money for whatever I feel like treating myself to.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2017 8:37:50 AM
I'd probably buy a whole bunch of clothes and shoes and then put the rest up my nose tbqh.
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2017 8:41:33 AM
At 1/10/2017 6:56:35 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:

Hookers and blow

Oh, someone beat me to it.
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2017 8:43:41 AM
At 1/25/2017 10:17:16 PM, sadolite wrote:
But look on the bright side, gay people will be able to get married, woman will still be able to get abortions (on their own dime if they have one) and men who like to dress up as woman can take a piss and a dump in the ladies room. So there's that.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2017 1:38:13 AM
At 2/1/2017 8:29:17 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

I'd take 33% of it and place it in a savings account. I'd take another 27% and invest it in metals that appreciate in value. I'd then take another 20% and find a long-term investment opportunity on the stock market. Finally, I'd take the last 20% and use that as spending money for whatever I feel like treating myself to.

Do you invest in commodities? Investing in gold etc is historically a very bad investment.
dc0404
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2017 3:22:07 AM
At 2/2/2017 1:38:13 AM, Raisor wrote:

Do you invest in commodities? Investing in gold etc is historically a very bad investment.

Commodities may be fine. I have some oil and energy stocks, mostly foreign companies traded in US stock market.

I do not "invest" in gold/silver. I used the term invest loosely. However, I choose to divest of much of dollars and exchange it for gold/silver as an insurance policy.

DC
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2017 5:21:25 AM
At 2/2/2017 3:22:07 AM, dc0404 wrote:

Commodities may be fine. I have some oil and energy stocks, mostly foreign companies traded in US stock market.

I do not "invest" in gold/silver. I used the term invest loosely. However, I choose to divest of much of dollars and exchange it for gold/silver as an insurance policy.

DC

My problem with commodities is that it is fundamentally speculation. Unless your full time job is analyzing markets AND you are VERY good at it, you have no competitive advantage in speculating and so no reason to believe your investment is good.

This isn't to say equities in commodity related companies is bad- it is very different to invest in oil futures vs investing in BP.

I don't understand how divesting cash to gold is useful. There is no reason to have cash except for short term liquidity. Converting cash to gold makes your cash reserves less liquid and subject to market volatility- why do this? What are you insuring against?
dc0404
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2017 2:11:17 PM
At 2/2/2017 5:21:25 AM, Raisor wrote:
At 2/2/2017 3:22:07 AM, dc0404 wrote:

DC

My problem with commodities is that it is fundamentally speculation. Unless your full time job is analyzing markets AND you are VERY good at it, you have no competitive advantage in speculating and so no reason to believe your investment is good.

This isn't to say equities in commodity related companies is bad- it is very different to invest in oil futures vs investing in BP.

I don't understand how divesting cash to gold is useful. There is no reason to have cash except for short term liquidity. Converting cash to gold makes your cash reserves less liquid and subject to market volatility- why do this? What are you insuring against?

To me, it is more about what percentage of your dollars you convert to other investments (or insurance in the case of gold). Apparently the experts say about 10%, I choose a little more. I would estimate about 20% of my liquidity is in metals. Liquidity does not include common stock I own in my business, nor does it include any homes since that is not quickly convertible.

So keep in mind, as I am sure you probably knew, I would not advise converting all liquidity into gold. And, to answer your specific question, I am insuring against a large dollar drop that will happen in the future. Central banks are beefing up their supplies of gold as well, there is a reason.

DC
FanboyMctroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2017 4:31:51 PM
At 2/1/2017 8:41:33 AM, Devilry wrote:
At 1/10/2017 6:56:35 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:

Hookers and blow

Oh, someone beat me to it.

It's nice to see that someone else has the same idea, hahaha
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2017 9:04:00 PM

Depends on which commodity we're talking about but for the most part, no, I do not personally invest in commodities. If anything I'd hire a professional for that since my own experience is mostly with stocks and bonds, not the commodity market.

I do see a few opportunities emerging though like with what's happening to silver at the moment (notice how I said metals in my op, not necessarily gold). For 2016, silver was one of the best performers on the commodity market. The Silver Institute reported a 3.4% increase in demand last year driven by a 24% increase in investment in coins and bars. (https://www.silverinstitute.org...) At the same time, a 13.2% drop in recycled silver supply offset a 2.1% increase in mine supply and led to an overall decrease in yearly production. These dynamics led to a deficit of 4,040 tons, which is about 65% higher than a year ago and the third year in a row that global silver was in a supply shortfall. So silver is most likely going to continue increasing in value as the supply continues dwindling.

As to why I think silver is a smart investment goes beyond just this though, it's something that humans seem to intrinsically value regardless of nation, culture, or creed, and I firmly believe it'd be wise to have something in reserve should global markets crash or the dollar drops in value. It also doesn't necessarily have to be silver coins or bars, sometimes I'll go to pawn shops or thrift shops and pick up silver pieces of jewelry or silverware.

I also support the purchasing and investing into land with water rights. I literally had no idea how important having water rights is until I learned about water rights law. I have always envisioned myself living off the land at some later point in life and to do it right I'd need property with water rights at the very least. Also, there's an emerging market for that with a seriously growing demand (http://www.globalresearch.ca...), so purchasing up a few now would most likely pay off in a couple decades.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...