Jump to topic:

Parent's pressure on children

buelg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 9:15:36 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
As you know, these days, many parents send their children to good academies or give prizes when they do well on tests. They think such pressure can actually help their children to excel. But I believe that there are still disadvantages for them. Can you help me look for what can be it's disadvantage? I would thank you if you describe it , too.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 10:09:03 AM
The only real drawback is how much stress they're placing on them to succeed. Motivating your children is obviously acceptable in well-defined parameters, but too much stress is tantamount to abuse.

So, find that happy medium.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 10:36:05 AM
South Korea has the highest literacy rate in the world, and the highest performing students as well. They have an entire culture that is uniformly committed to scholastic achievement. They also have one of the highest suicide rates among young people, and it's no secret that this is a problem in their society, but it's also an acceptable trade off. Personally I don't see the point of success at the expense of happiness, and am really not sure if one could actually call it success at all.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 11:25:55 AM
At 5/3/2012 10:36:05 AM, innomen wrote:
South Korea has the highest literacy rate in the world, and the highest performing students as well. They have an entire culture that is uniformly committed to scholastic achievement. They also have one of the highest suicide rates among young people, and it's no secret that this is a problem in their society, but it's also an acceptable trade off. Personally I don't see the point of success at the expense of happiness, and am really not sure if one could actually call it success at all.

I dont see the point either. You only get to be a child once you might as well enjoy your time because sooner or later you do grow up. Why they want to speed up the process at the expense of the children though is completely beyond me
Breaking News: A new study shows that people who make fun of my profile pic to try to disprove my argument tend to be complete retards

Speaking of retards:
"Censorship is fine. Also hurting their feelings is aight." - Spinko

Ima presents: DDO History
http://www.debate.org...

First Ima Revolution = 4/28/12
Second Ima Revolution = 10/31/12
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 5:50:42 PM
At my school such parent pressure on many students (invariably, certain ethnic groups are more prone to this) exists. I think that the general drive and encouragement of education is very good in a number of cases.

That said, too much coaching and parent pressure is not good. Some students don't thrive under such force as their ability to develop critical thinking and independence is strongly inhibited. For instance, some of my peers basically have all their elective choices pre-determined by their parents, or at least a requirement that they undertake certain subjects (typically a focus on the sciences as opposed to the humanities) .

I think that this strong degree of control is harmful, and can lead to situations where academic success is countered by a lack of other useful skills and a lack of actual understanding (ie. lots of massed presentation; see wikipedia about it vs. spaced presentation) .

I'd have more to say, but I think we get the general gist.
Swearing is, on balance, a negative influence on society - http://www.debate.org...