Jump to topic:

REVIEW: Erased

Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2017 5:01:17 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Erased is the sucky English title for a anime series written by a Japanese guy serialized on TV last year, the original title being "Boku dake ga Inai Machi" (translated as "The Town Without Me").

The main character is a 29 year old man who lives alone and works part-time as a pizza delivery guy. He's tried to become a successful mangaka, but he's only written one work, and that one work had been panned for lack of depth and spiritedness to it, like there was a kind of superficial aspect to the author's personality. We'll just call him "MC" (main character).
His personality is largely superficial due to the fact that a good chunk of his life is repressed memories, due to a traumatic event that occurred in his childhood growing up in a town in Hokkaido (which is to Japan what Alaska is to the US), the abduction and death of a classmate at the hands of a serial child murderer.
Whenever his mother comes across fresh evidence of the murderer's identity (as he'd never been caught), she in turn is murdered. MC quickly becomes the police's main suspect. As he turns to run for his freedom, he's suddenly whisked back in time 18 years, returned to his body as a child living in Hokkaido, about half a month before the murder of his classmate occurs. I don't remember the name of this classmate of his, but she's the spitting image of Mikasa from Attack on Titan, so I'll just call her Mikasa-lite, or ML for short. In the original timeline, she was a loner who nobody talked to up until the point of her death; MC immensely regretted never talking to her, so he sees this as his chance to do things differently and save her from the serial killer. He also believes that if he changes the timeline by saving her, things will be so that his mom was never murdered in the present.
The serial killer targets young girls (and one feminine boy, for plot reasons) who are alone, both physically and emotionally; thus, to keep ML safe, MC becomes her first and greatest friend. He realizes also that she needs saving from more than just the serial killer.

I watched all twelve episodes from front to back yesterday, and I'm glad I did. This show was incredible, to the point where you'd be forgiven for thinking it was made by Hayao Miyazaki. The last two episodes sucked, but the first ten were really good. The music wasn't exceptional, but I still felt warm and fuzzy inside listening to it. The graphics are pretty good also, though again, not exceptionally so.
I absolutely recommend this series as a must-watch for any hardcore anime fan. 9/10
The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.
-Blaise Pascal
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2017 9:25:56 AM
At 10/31/2017 5:01:17 PM, Swagnarok wrote:
Erased is the sucky English title for a anime series written by a Japanese guy serialized on TV last year, the original title being "Boku dake ga Inai Machi" (translated as "The Town Without Me").

The main character is a 29 year old man who lives alone and works part-time as a pizza delivery guy. He's tried to become a successful mangaka, but he's only written one work, and that one work had been panned for lack of depth and spiritedness to it, like there was a kind of superficial aspect to the author's personality. We'll just call him "MC" (main character).
His personality is largely superficial due to the fact that a good chunk of his life is repressed memories, due to a traumatic event that occurred in his childhood growing up in a town in Hokkaido (which is to Japan what Alaska is to the US), the abduction and death of a classmate at the hands of a serial child murderer.
Whenever his mother comes across fresh evidence of the murderer's identity (as he'd never been caught), she in turn is murdered. MC quickly becomes the police's main suspect. As he turns to run for his freedom, he's suddenly whisked back in time 18 years, returned to his body as a child living in Hokkaido, about half a month before the murder of his classmate occurs. I don't remember the name of this classmate of his, but she's the spitting image of Mikasa from Attack on Titan, so I'll just call her Mikasa-lite, or ML for short. In the original timeline, she was a loner who nobody talked to up until the point of her death; MC immensely regretted never talking to her, so he sees this as his chance to do things differently and save her from the serial killer. He also believes that if he changes the timeline by saving her, things will be so that his mom was never murdered in the present.
The serial killer targets young girls (and one feminine boy, for plot reasons) who are alone, both physically and emotionally; thus, to keep ML safe, MC becomes her first and greatest friend. He realizes also that she needs saving from more than just the serial killer.

I watched all twelve episodes from front to back yesterday, and I'm glad I did. This show was incredible, to the point where you'd be forgiven for thinking it was made by Hayao Miyazaki. The last two episodes sucked, but the first ten were really good. The music wasn't exceptional, but I still felt warm and fuzzy inside listening to it. The graphics are pretty good also, though again, not exceptionally so.
I absolutely recommend this series as a must-watch for any hardcore anime fan. 9/10

If your going to recommend TV shows it would help to know where to find them.
Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2017 12:58:42 PM
At 11/1/2017 9:25:56 AM, GrimlyF wrote:

"Erased" can be found on Hulu under that title, but not on Netflix. It's probably available also on CrunchyRoll.
-Blaise Pascal
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2017 1:20:59 PM
At 11/1/2017 12:58:42 PM, Swagnarok wrote:

"Erased" can be found on Hulu under that title, but not on Netflix. It's probably available also on CrunchyRoll.

Can't seem to load either of those sites on my comp' so I'LL look for dvd. Thankyou.
Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2017 5:04:44 PM
At 11/1/2017 1:20:59 PM, GrimlyF wrote:

Can't seem to load either of those sites on my comp' so I'LL look for dvd. Thankyou.

Hulu and CrunchyRoll are subscription-based sites. You have to pay a regular fee for access to their services.
However, it's relatively easy to watch anime online for free, if you know where to look. Depending on the source, one can get away with it quite easily as long as you don't go so far as to download the content.
-Blaise Pascal
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2017 11:30:36 PM
At 11/1/2017 5:04:44 PM, Swagnarok wrote:
At 11/1/2017 1:20:59 PM, GrimlyF wrote:

Hulu and CrunchyRoll are subscription-based sites. You have to pay a regular fee for access to their services.
However, it's relatively easy to watch anime online for free, if you know where to look. Depending on the source, one can get away with it quite easily as long as you don't go so far as to download the content.

I know what they are but they are U.S. streamers and not available on British TV. At least they won't download to my P.C.
Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2017 5:10:34 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
On a random note, Netflix's live action adaptation has insane pacing. They've already saved Kayo by episode 6 out of 12.
At the rate that all this is happening, Satoru should be drowned by the end of episode 7, which would leave 5 episodes for the "final arc" of the show, which in the (much slower paced) anime was covered in 2.
-Blaise Pascal