Jump to topic:

The Beatles are Overrated

TylerLamb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2017 9:31:33 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
The Beatles are overrated. I think they"re a good band, they have some good songs, but they have way too big a cult following. I won"t deny that they heavily influenced music, but they weren"t good enough for all the praise they get. Most people say they love the Beatles, but they can"t even name all them. John Lennon, Ringo Starr, Paul McCartney, and then the one nobody can remember. The Beatles weren"t bad, but they weren"t nearly as good as people give them credit for. Some of their songs outright suck, like "I am the Walrus". I understand they wrote it to not make sense but it doesn"t even sound good. They were essentially 60"s One Direction.
Tyler
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2017 3:13:42 PM
At 12/17/2017 9:31:33 AM, TylerLamb wrote:
The Beatles are overrated. I think they"re a good band, they have some good songs, but they have way too big a cult following. I won"t deny that they heavily influenced music, but they weren"t good enough for all the praise they get. Most people say they love the Beatles, but they can"t even name all them. John Lennon, Ringo Starr, Paul McCartney, and then the one nobody can remember. The Beatles weren"t bad, but they weren"t nearly as good as people give them credit for. Some of their songs outright suck, like "I am the Walrus". I understand they wrote it to not make sense but it doesn"t even sound good. They were essentially 60"s One Direction.

Well you can't disregard record sales, this has to be a factor in their popularity rating yes?

I know rather a lot about them, I'm originally from Liverpool and my Mother played with them several times in the very early 60s, I also knew well the man who handed them to Epstein - the late Allan Williams.

One thing is pretty clear Epstein was driven to make them a success and had huge confidence in them, a lot of that confidence was gained by seeing their huge noisy fan base every time they performed in the Cavern.

Bear in mind too that unlike many late 50s early 60s bands the Beatles refused to sound "American" then the hallmark of real Rock n Roll, they also wrote a huge amount far more than many bands back then, their early songs while a little simple, were at the time great tunes, closely allied to established Rock n Roll.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2017 5:05:45 PM
At 12/17/2017 9:31:33 AM, TylerLamb wrote:

While I like The Beatles, by no means are they my favorite band, and I know a lot of people, such as yourself, feel similarly. However, to claim they are overrated is somewhat misguided.

For one thing, they essentially started the musical revolution that happened in the late 60's, It was their attempts at experimentation that led the way for genres like psychedelic and progressive rock. They were one of the first to use non-traditional musical elements in their songs, one of the first to experiment in the studio, one of the first to even consider the idea of a concept album. It essentially gave them a blueprint on proceeding from there.

In addition, just about every musician that started in the late 60's (and hence every musician that was influenced by any of them) was at least partially influenced by The Beatles.

It's hard to overstate their importance in music.
We are not dead. We have never lived. - Varg Vikernes, "Det som en gang var"