Jump to topic:

Wooden roller coasters vs Steel ones

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 2:19:08 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
What kind of roller coaster do you prefer when you go on an amusement park ride? Steel or wooden, and why? Also, if you own an amusement park and can build one more roller coaster, which one would you build? While steel coasters can scale greater heights and larger speeds, wooden coasters have a swaying mechanism which gives the illusion of danger so some might prefer that ride.

I think I want to do a debate on this topic. Anyone up for it?
IFLYHIGH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 2:24:26 AM
At 7/1/2012 2:19:08 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
What kind of roller coaster do you prefer when you go on an amusement park ride? Steel or wooden, and why? Also, if you own an amusement park and can build one more roller coaster, which one would you build? While steel coasters can scale greater heights and larger speeds, wooden coasters have a swaying mechanism which gives the illusion of danger so some might prefer that ride.

I think I want to do a debate on this topic. Anyone up for it?

Wooden roller coasters are so bumpy though... I say I prefer steel roller coasters. Plus, Steel roller coasters seem to go higher than wooden ones and has loops and corkscrews. It's been awhile since I've been to an amusement park though....
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 2:24:52 AM
Steel ones are generally more smooth rides and don't jerk you around as much. But in my experience a jerky ride is fun every now and then. At Six Flags Over Texas, they have the ride called the Texas Giant, its a wooden coaster and pretty rugged. But even though its a rough ride, there's always a huge line at it.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 6:59:12 PM
I used to love rollercoasters but in the past few years theyve started to make me sick...

I think wooden rollercoasters cant be beat in terms of aesthetics. They can be beautiful and iconic structures. Plus the feeling of being engulfed in the physical presence of the coaster while you ride it, as the track dives through the body of the supports is incredible. Wood also fits better with landscapes like heavily wooded areas.

The height advantage of steel is hard to overcome, but I think well designed wooden coasters are often more interesting. Wood coasters are often tighter and rely more on unexpected drop and turns. The speed and power of steel designs is always impressive but I think in the end I prefer wood.
Valar Dohaeris

Resolved: the Indian Removal Act of 1830 was the most morally depraved act in the history of American foreign policy.
http://www.debate.org...

Resolved: Frozen is better than the Lion King (imabench vs raisor)
http://www.debate.org...
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 8:43:01 PM
I used to like them both but lately I've leaned toward steel simply because wooden coasters often, not all the time, but often are so jarring that they give me a headache for a little while after I ride them. And I usually have little aches and pains afterward too whereas I have no problems on a steel coaster.. plus they're more fun because of how high you can go and going upside down is awesome, etc.
My DDO game: http://www.debate.org...
Let's. Make. It. Happen.

YYW for prez
At 5/1/2013 11:15:33 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Crinack is the wall between our understanding and our intuition, it is the wild virtue lost in stifling, rigid forms of communication. It is the wall on which every poet beats, sometimes for an entire lifetime, in the hopes of opening one small crack. Crinack is not a poem. It is the poem.

I am not a witch.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2012 10:08:30 PM
Steel. Who wants to be jolted, go slower, and not upside down.
Sorry, the lifestyle you ordered is currently out of stock. - Banksy
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2012 2:01:52 AM
It depends on what type of ride you want. There is a romanticism to classic, wooden coasters---so long as you're not looking for major dips, or too many twists and turns. Otherwise, your back and head likely will be sore when finished. Steel coasters are smoother, faster, safer, more thrilling. As a Cedar Point/coaster enthusiast, I like them both; but it depends on what you want from the ride first.

If I were building a park, I would have both, but the steel coasters will be the true attractions because you can create more thrilling experiences with them.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2012 3:41:13 PM
At 7/1/2012 2:24:52 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
Steel ones are generally more smooth rides and don't jerk you around as much. But in my experience a jerky ride is fun every now and then. At Six Flags Over Texas, they have the ride called the Texas Giant, its a wooden coaster and pretty rugged. But even though its a rough ride, there's always a huge line at it.

Have you been on it since they remodeled it? It isn't the same :(....like a wooden and smaller version of the Titan really /:
I have shown incredible restraint in the face of unrelenting stupidity- Izbo

Procrastination binds us all, cutting across geographical borders. - Cermank

Don't quote me, ever. -Airmax

#StandWithBossy