Jump to topic:

The Social Network

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2010 8:33:02 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
My friends dragged me to see the midnight showing lol.

The movie was incredibly dull, as expected, considering I already knew how Facebook got started so it's not as if you can expect a thrilling plot. Nerdy boy at Harvard gets hired to program something -- he steals the idea and expands it creating Facebook which makes him billions and the kids from Harvard sue him and win. That's pretty much it. I thought it was going to therefore be more about the character of Mark Zuckerberg and not only his social ineptness (his character may as well have been played by Michael Cena) but a more philosophical perspective on friendship, profit, intellectual property lol I dunno something. Vi told me she heard it was philosophical; it wasn't - at all. The reviews for this movie are great for some reason, but it's just not. I'd say wait for it on cable or Netflix. However what really got got me pumped (only to set me up for a let-down) was the soundtrack: it's AMAZING. The music is all done by Trent Reznor from NIN but its electronic / house music which I love and he just did such a good job with his lil dark Trent flair. I'd say save the money you would have spent on a movie ticket and buy the soundtrack instead!
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2010 8:50:44 AM
At 10/1/2010 8:49:11 AM, darkkermit wrote:
Did the kids from harvard win in real life?

Yes, the kids he stole the idea from won 65 M (not much in the grand scheme of things considering FB is worth like 50 B) and his former friend and business partner who he d!cked over won an "undisclosed amount."
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2010 8:59:56 AM
At 10/1/2010 8:50:44 AM, theLwerd wrote:

Yes, the kids he stole the idea from won 65 M (not much in the grand scheme of things considering FB is worth like 50 B) and his former friend and business partner who he d!cked over won an "undisclosed amount."

Oh boo hoo. Yea, not like its a big loss.He's still the youngest billionaire in the world. Considering wins over losses, he won by d!cking everyone over and it as the best decision for him.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2010 9:04:03 AM
At 10/1/2010 8:52:43 AM, tvellalott wrote:
I think they should make a movie about 4chan...

I can just imagine bible thumpers marching outside the theaters.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2010 9:08:33 AM
At 10/1/2010 9:04:03 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 10/1/2010 8:52:43 AM, tvellalott wrote:
I think they should make a movie about 4chan...

I can just imagine bible thumpers marching outside the theaters.

If they do make a movie on 4chan, everyone should go with an anonmyous mask.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2010 9:18:17 AM
Yeah I just looked it up, and that second guy actually just owns 5% of Facebook a.k.a. 1.1 billion.

Seriously though lol the soundtrack has a children's choir version of the song Creep by Radiohead which is creepy in itself... awesome!
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2010 11:10:15 AM
At 10/1/2010 8:50:44 AM, theLwerd wrote:

They didn't win, he just paid them out of court, had they actually went, they could've got so much more.

The movie was fictional, which is the worst part, because it's god awful, I didn't even see it and I know it. The commercials look retarded, I'd rather see a Bill Gates non-fictional biography, which I did in school. I guarantee that one was way more entertaining than this piece of trash.

Zuck's a douche, Gates was at least funny and is generous now, Zuck donates money to protect his image.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2010 3:07:07 PM
Are you that naive that you expect every character in a movie to be a heroic figure the audience respects? The point is to understand him [the character] - what he did and why. It's fiction, yeah, which is why they are just telling a story that doesn't have to be true to the real one. The character was a douche and supposedly Zuck is in real life too lol -- that doesn't make the movie any more or less good. I thought it was okay but could have delved deeper and was overall pretty overrated. The score was good, and those who didn't know the story beforehand probably appreciated the plot a lot more than I did.
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2010 5:11:27 PM
The ratings for this movie are phenomenal. Almost on the same level as toy story 3. Usually I dont care too much about ratings - but in this case it may drive me to see it. I really enjoy Finchers work. He did Se7en and Fight Club.

"The Town" also looks pretty good.
"Bullsh!t is unavoidable whenever circumstance require someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about."
— Harry G. Frankfurt
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2010 5:32:20 PM
At 10/1/2010 5:11:27 PM, Sobriquet wrote:
The ratings for this movie are phenomenal. Almost on the same level as toy story 3. Usually I dont care too much about ratings - but in this case it may drive me to see it. I really enjoy Finchers work. He did Se7en and Fight Club.

The ratings are what pushed me to want to see it as well. The cinematography and execution was done well -- it's the *plot* that was lacking.
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2010 6:13:16 PM
At 10/1/2010 5:32:20 PM, theLwerd wrote:

The ratings are what pushed me to want to see it as well. The cinematography and execution was done well -- it's the *plot* that was lacking.

Yeah thats understandable, especially when the plot isn't really a mystery to a lot of people.
"Bullsh!t is unavoidable whenever circumstance require someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about."
— Harry G. Frankfurt
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2010 11:15:52 PM
At 10/1/2010 5:32:20 PM, theLwerd wrote:

You can be as good with your camera techniques as you want, the plot has to be there and a movie about Zuckerberg will be awful no matter what.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 12:08:34 AM
I just came back from watching this movie. I actually quite liked it as did my friend(considering this was her second time seeing it). I'll have to agree with theLwerd that the soundtrack was excellent too. :D
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2010 12:57:05 PM
Yes! INH! Haha to those who can, listen to this on a decent pair of headphones. You have to listen to the entire thing to really appreciate it, imo.
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 9:06:53 PM
would you say it's one of those movies that's better when you're stoned (maybe because of the music)??

I think I may have just got an idea...
RossG
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2010 3:12:36 PM
I just saw it today and to be honest i thought it was great.
About your point on the plot, I suppose for somone who already knows the full story and the final outcome(op) then understandably it may be dull. However i thought the story was decent, obviously not too exciting it was basically about people trying to f*ck each other over with lawsuits, but the acting was great, I didnt spot one bad performance. And I really enjoyed Zuckerberg's dialogue, I thought it was quite witty and often very cleverly written.
And too me not knowing the outcome, it did have a certain amount of tension, and evoked emotions for certain characters, like Eduardo. I personally really enjoyed it, and too whoever made the post about michael cera playing Mark, that is seriously ridiculous.
Bipolarmoment
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2010 11:50:05 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
"A guy who makes a nice chair doesn't owe money to everyone who has ever built a chair. "

Only movie I've seen in awhile and I thoroughly enjoyed it. While the character is essentially socially retarded I quite enjoyed the dialogue, pretty much every thing spoken was for effect, not simply filler. But hey, you can't teach good taste ;)