Jump to topic:

South Park, fractured But Whole, Game Review

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2017 1:47:32 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
Another South Park game has recently been released, and South Park, A Fractured, But Whole, does not fail to live up to expectations. In many cases the game exceeds Stick of Truth, their previous game, while still living up to everything that is South Park. The animation is spot on and makes you feel almost if the player is living out an actual episode of the show while still maintaining an excellent story. The game also tackles and pokes fun of controversial issues in the only way South Park does. I do not normally purchase new games, but this was a game that I had to get my hands on and play.
In terms of game play, the game has made massive improvements to its combat system. In the Stick of Truth, the combat system seemed a bit random at times and the attacks almost seemed pointless in some cases causing the combat to become boring after a while. This was fixed in A Fractured, But Whole, where they have adopted a grid system, making it seem almost like a chess game. Each character and their attacks all have different attack patterns which affect different tiles, which shows there has to be more strategy in this game as each attack along with each move the character makes matters. The personalization of the team also has a profound effect on the combat as well as each distinctive character in the game has different abilities which can do different things in combat from healers to brutes, these characters have different powers and if your party is not balanced out, then you are going to have a bad time. The game also gives you a barrage of different classes to choose from and you get an interesting backstory that motivates your character to fight crime after you learned about what your father did to your mom. This is an improvement from the previous game which only gives your character four choices to pick from. If you do not like your character"s class then you can go talk to the Coon, aka Eric Cartman, and he will help you change it.

The game is a continuation from the previous game, where it happens the next day. You still play as the New Kid, but you get more options in the customization of your character from race, skin color, clear to sexuality. You join Coon and Friends in the search for Scrambles, the missing cat, in order to receive a $100 reward. Instead, you find out a conspiracy has swept over the town that these criminals are putting cheese into people"s drugs and alcoholic beverages to increase crime in the town. You also get to go through town and take on different missions to fill out your character sheet. My favorite is when you get to meet up with Seaman in order to help a gay fish"s mom get into heaven on a farting unicorn, a parody of Flappy Bird. The gay fish pays homage to the South Park episode where everyone gets a "Gay fish" joke except Kanye West, which he is the gay fish in the game. Here you get to get to determine your religion and alignment.

The game takes on controversial issues that even the show has, and even makes references to episodes which has taken place way back to season 1. One of these issues is Police Brutality against African-Americans, where the police chief accuses these individuals of being the drug king-pen, but only to find out these individuals are not. You later get to free these individuals from jail, while the police chief tries to reassure the player they are really the victims of reverse racism and backs this up by showing they actually have one white guy in jail, Jarod from Subway. PC Principle helps your character recognize microaggressions, which allows your character to get a combat bonus in against these characters. Even the issue of animal testing is brought up where you eventually go up into a Jurassic Park-esk lab where they put more butts on cats and other people and the Human Kite, aka Kyle, sends out a Coonsitgram post condemning animal testing.

Normally I don"t go out and purchase games and play them when they initially come out, but I did for this one. So far, I have yet to be disappointed when it comes to the game play and the constant laughs that come at me like a submachine gun. The gameplay is a vast improvement from the Stick of Truth and I would recommend that everyone who is a South Park fan to check it out. Even if you do not have the money to play it, there are several YouTubers who have lets plays on the game from Jacksepticeye to PewdePie
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

"Sometimes it is hell, trying to get to heaven."- Undertaker

Keep a Positive Mental Attitude!

DDO Hall of Famer
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2018 7:18:36 PM
So, is this gameplay like an rpg like final fantasy, or like zelda, or an rpg or a classic beat-em-up?
At least the noble sheep provides us warm sweaters. All your hides would provide are coward pants. - Dick Solomon

"I call albatross!" - seventhprofessor
Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2018 12:31:29 PM
At 1/4/2018 7:18:36 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
So, is this gameplay like an rpg like final fantasy, or like zelda, or an rpg or a classic beat-em-up?

That's Dark Magician? I took up Duel Links recently, do you play it?
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2018 6:52:56 PM

Haven't played Final Fantasy, so can't really compare on that front, but I guess you could say RPG similiar to a Zelda like game.

DDO Hall of Famer
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2018 6:53:19 PM
At 1/5/2018 12:31:29 PM, Perussi wrote:

Duel Links is an abomination.

DDO Hall of Famer
Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2018 7:27:47 PM
At 1/6/2018 6:53:19 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Alternatives?

And probably, you use half a normal deck too.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2018 7:31:40 PM
At 1/6/2018 7:27:47 PM, Perussi wrote:
At 1/6/2018 6:53:19 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Alternatives?

Well, if you have a computer, I suggest Duelingbook. Gives you a better selection of cards and lets you play the actual game.

And probably, you use half a normal deck too.

DDO Hall of Famer