Jump to topic:

Best and worst games in mafia history*

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 12:07:19 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
This thread is a tribute to the best games (and by extension, the best mods) that I have played in. Add your own. Yeah, there was a best of list made 6 months ago but this one is different.

Here are my top three starting with number 3 down to the best one.

BEST

3) Classic mafia (Danielle)

A swingy game that depended a lot on luck yet turned out perfectly balanced giving multiple players the chance to win. Although the townies were all dead by NP4, the battle of deception happenned in the PM with one player privy to both PMs. From that emerged a hero who with an uncanny knack of persuading players to do what is worst for them, who convinced the cult to lynch a third party and allowed the mafia to come from dire straits to snatch a win.

2) Pixar vs DreamWorks (Bluesteel)

A pro-mafia games designed not by overpowering the mafia but by underpowering the town. The unique balance provided by means of connected roles as opposed to powerful or confirmable roles allowed town to confirm all players but one by the time the game reached MYLO. Behavioural analysis reigned supreme as no claim could be trusted based on the claim alone. The abundance of experienced players added a challenging element to the game and the allowance of a number of mistakes before town lost allowed town ample opportunity to put together the mafia before they finally lost.

1) Death in Mystere (Logic on Rails)

A game that was so devilishly intricate and fine-tuned that playing it gives a sense of fulfillment whether you won or lost. The pieces of the puzzle fit together perfectly, the game was balanced extremely well giving each side an equal opportunity to win. The mafia roles were underpowered to not make it too confusing but just powerful enough to negate town roles. The fake cop, the townie jailer and mafia watcher added an element of unpredictability and the subtle references to Logic's previous games (Iron constitution, Lord Frederick Danton) created a sense of nostalgia from past games and added a pleasurable element to the game.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 12:17:07 AM
At 3/22/2012 12:07:19 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
From that emerged a hero who with an uncanny knack of persuading players to do what is worst for them

I lol'd :)
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 12:19:47 AM
At 3/22/2012 12:17:07 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
From that emerged a hero who with an uncanny knack of persuading players to do what is worst for them

who was that?
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 12:21:07 AM
At 3/22/2012 12:19:47 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 3/22/2012 12:17:07 AM, BlackVoid wrote:

who was that?

Me. i think you might not have noticed because you died pretty early in that one.
vmpire321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 1:12:55 AM
At 3/22/2012 12:15:59 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 3/22/2012 12:14:02 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Why are you using asterisks?

this.

what is this.

you aren't inferno???

*gasp*
F-16 screwed up which account he was in...
~~~~~I do not have a signature~~~~~

~~In Nomine Satanas Ave Gloriosa~~

~~~~~~Carthago delenda est~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~Heil Hitler~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 1:27:25 AM
I liked royals brawl game and blackvoids sci-fi games, they were two of my favorite. Coming hot I third I would say would be lordknuckles monetary game (I still love that concept), and fourth place on my list is medic gangster chronicles game. Those were all my favorite games I've played in. Now on to my favorite mods: blackvoid, LDF, medic, lordknukle, royal, drafter, and f-16. All of these people use really creative roles and are good on updating the vote counts frequently as well as keeping a game well balanced and fun.
What happens in mafia, stays in mafia.

-XLAV
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 1:54:20 AM
At 3/22/2012 1:27:25 AM, TUF wrote:
I liked royals brawl game and blackvoids sci-fi games, they were two of my favorite. Coming hot I third I would say would be lordknuckles monetary game (I still love that concept), and fourth place on my list is medic gangster chronicles game. Those were all my favorite games I've played in. Now on to my favorite mods: blackvoid, LDF, medic, lordknukle, royal, drafter, and f-16. All of these people use really creative roles and are good on updating the vote counts frequently as well as keeping a game well balanced and fun.

You like any game where the town wins.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 1:58:59 AM
At 3/22/2012 1:54:20 AM, BlackVoid wrote:

Lately I have. I used to love being mafia. But lately I feel it is a lot easier and less pressure to be town. I love the feeling of pressuring someone and having them flip mafia. Catching people in the act is fun. But being mislynched definitely isn't fun...

-XLAV
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 2:36:21 AM
At 3/22/2012 12:15:59 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 3/22/2012 12:14:02 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Why are you using asterisks?

this.

what is this.

you aren't inferno???

Doesn't seem like you have anything better to say than comment on why there is an asterisk at the end of the title. Next!
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 9:45:55 AM
My favorite games, in no particular order, are Dexter, The Thing, Beginner 2.4??? (The only mob wars game that I got to play in), Peter Rabbit, Greek Mythology, and the Classic games. I also like the board games mafia and CYOA will likely turn out to be a good one.
It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it- Upton Sinclair

Humanism. It's like religion, only I get to be God- Naysayer
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2012 11:25:13 PM
At 3/22/2012 1:58:59 AM, TUF wrote:

Lately I have. I used to love being mafia. But lately I feel it is a lot easier and less pressure to be town. I love the feeling of pressuring someone and having them flip mafia. Catching people in the act is fun. But being mislynched definitely isn't fun...

samesies!!! But i've become burnt out on mafia. I am taking a break after I am done the CYOA game. :(

No worries, I will be back soon enough, with a vigor.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2012 1:49:29 AM
At 3/22/2012 11:22:11 PM, Viper-King wrote:
My favorite games are Medic's GC game and TUF's game

which one, the DBZ game, the thing, or resevoir dogs?

-XLAV
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2012 1:50:42 AM
At 3/22/2012 11:25:13 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:

samesies!!! But i've become burnt out on mafia. I am taking a break after I am done the CYOA game. :(

Noooooooo. If you are leaving, I'll leave too :{
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2012 1:52:44 AM
At 3/23/2012 1:50:42 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

. :( i'll be back soon enough. i just need a little break.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2012 1:53:38 AM
At 3/23/2012 1:52:44 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 3/23/2012 1:50:42 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

. :( i'll be back soon enough. i just need a little break.

lol. that sounded like a lame-excuse break up haha
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2012 1:54:53 AM
Yeah I just got a new job too, so I probably won't be as active as usual, as I will be working graveyard. I'll still join mafia games, and try to post as much as possible, but it may be difficult.

-XLAV
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2012 1:55:18 AM
At 3/23/2012 1:54:53 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
Yeah, she just needs a "break" so she can explore "other options".

lol

-XLAV
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2012 1:58:27 AM

I'm the opposite. Being town is too stressful, especially when the town is ready to mislynch you. I'd much rather be mafia... at least when you die (get caught) it's a bit of a laugh. But when you die as town (mislynched) it's the most angry-making thing in the world. Plus I love coming up with fake claims and screwing with people on purpose.

In the last Harry Potter game, (I was the town bus driver) for one of the NPs I intentionally screwed with the town just for fun.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2012 2:02:40 AM
At 3/23/2012 1:58:27 AM, nonentity wrote:
I'm the opposite. Being town is too stressful, especially when the town is ready to mislynch you.

Thats the one hardest part. It's the worst feeling being lynched innocent.

I'd much rather be mafia... at least when you die (get caught) it's a bit of a laugh. But when you die as town (mislynched) it's the most angry-making thing in the world.

Yeah I always feel like rage quitting when it happens...

Plus I love coming up with fake claims and screwing with people on purpose.

IT is fun.. I like manipulation roles as mafia roles, rather than effect roles.

-XLAV