Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

Are Human Diseases on the Rise?

Eye_of_the_Needle
Posts: 37
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2017 5:18:11 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
One would expect that humans are becoming progressively healthier over time. We seem to be living longer, our medical technology is improving rapidly, and economies of scale allows us to treat more people (in theory). But are we winning the fight against disease? Or losing it?

For starters, type in just about any disease you can think of into google, and add in the phrase "on the rise" after it. Examples: Crohn's, Celiac, Lymes, heart/cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes, obesity, low sperm count, stroke, alzheimers, liver disease/cirrhosis/hepatitis, chronic respiratory disease, pneumonia and influenza, kidney disease, Parkinson's, hypertension, botulism, dengue, pertussis, sickle cell, e. coli, plague, asthma, learning disabilities/adhd, hunger, autism, and HIV.

I was disturbed that in every case above (the list is not meant to be exhaustive), there are articles discussing how the numbers of people afflicted are increasing. Now I understand there can be reasons for this that don't mean people are getting sicker. Perhaps it's just the absolute numbers, not the percentages. Perhaps we are sensationalizing the increases but not the decreases. Perhaps these articles are written with a particular region in mind (while other areas were healthy), or a particular year, and were then resolved later on. I understand I am biased in my search, but I also am not turning up similar articles when I type "on the decline" instead. Many of these articles cite "unknown" reasons for the increases. Many of them are quite recent, and discuss global areas, mentioning percentages and not just absolute numbers.

What do you think? Is medical technology winning? Or are we slowly succumbing to illnesses in a trend that will see most of us sick in the coming decades, while we look backwards at humanity's golden years in our rear-view?
The Ends cannot justify the Means.
Emilrose
Posts: 6,561
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2017 4:02:32 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
It's because more illnesses are diagnosed, due improvements in medical science/healthcare and medical technology.
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.
FanboyMctroll
Posts: 5,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2017 4:03:49 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 11/25/2017 5:18:11 PM, Eye_of_the_Needle wrote:
One would expect that humans are becoming progressively healthier over time. We seem to be living longer, our medical technology is improving rapidly, and economies of scale allows us to treat more people (in theory). But are we winning the fight against disease? Or losing it?

For starters, type in just about any disease you can think of into google, and add in the phrase "on the rise" after it. Examples: Crohn's, Celiac, Lymes, heart/cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes, obesity, low sperm count, stroke, alzheimers, liver disease/cirrhosis/hepatitis, chronic respiratory disease, pneumonia and influenza, kidney disease, Parkinson's, hypertension, botulism, dengue, pertussis, sickle cell, e. coli, plague, asthma, learning disabilities/adhd, hunger, autism, and HIV.

I was disturbed that in every case above (the list is not meant to be exhaustive), there are articles discussing how the numbers of people afflicted are increasing. Now I understand there can be reasons for this that don't mean people are getting sicker. Perhaps it's just the absolute numbers, not the percentages. Perhaps we are sensationalizing the increases but not the decreases. Perhaps these articles are written with a particular region in mind (while other areas were healthy), or a particular year, and were then resolved later on. I understand I am biased in my search, but I also am not turning up similar articles when I type "on the decline" instead. Many of these articles cite "unknown" reasons for the increases. Many of them are quite recent, and discuss global areas, mentioning percentages and not just absolute numbers.

What do you think? Is medical technology winning? Or are we slowly succumbing to illnesses in a trend that will see most of us sick in the coming decades, while we look backwards at humanity's golden years in our rear-view?

I think we are winning the battles with disease, but at the same time, viruses and bacteria can mutate and new diseases appear. So I think it's just an endless cycle of disease and cure medication, but overall I would say we are winning because we live longer now then ever before, we keep finding cures and extending lives for people with AIDS and dementia and other debilitating diseases like MS.

I think you just hear more about diseases now then before because of global news coverage, someone farts in China and you hear about it on CNN, someone sneezes in New Zealand and there is a news story about it, everything is covered now and we are all connected so you hear about it more now but modern medicine has really come a long way.
inferno
Posts: 15,426
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2017 6:18:10 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 11/27/2017 4:02:32 PM, Emilrose wrote:
It's because more illnesses are diagnosed, due improvements in medical science/healthcare and medical technology.

Very true. Many things can be picked up on a computer.
But I notice that more people are sick now because of the rise in synthetic and processed foods. It was not this way during the era before World War II.
FanboyMctroll
Posts: 5,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2017 6:46:35 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 11/27/2017 6:18:10 PM, inferno wrote:
At 11/27/2017 4:02:32 PM, Emilrose wrote:
It's because more illnesses are diagnosed, due improvements in medical science/healthcare and medical technology.

Very true. Many things can be picked up on a computer.
But I notice that more people are sick now because of the rise in synthetic and processed foods. It was not this way during the era before World War II.

Good points, do you think the cancer rate is higher now then before? Or was it just not documented as much before.
lnferno
Posts: 58
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 7:34:35 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 11/27/2017 4:02:32 PM, Emilrose wrote:
It's because more illnesses are diagnosed, due improvements in medical science/healthcare and medical technology.

I like going to strip clubs. What about you. =)
FanboyMctroll
Posts: 5,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 9:23:41 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 11/30/2017 7:34:35 PM, lnferno wrote:
At 11/27/2017 4:02:32 PM, Emilrose wrote:
It's because more illnesses are diagnosed, due improvements in medical science/healthcare and medical technology.

I like going to strip clubs. What about you. =)

GETLEMEN PUT YOUR HAND TOGETHER ONE MORE TIME FOR THE LOVELY PLATINUMMMMM!!!
lnferno
Posts: 58
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 9:24:13 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 11/30/2017 9:23:41 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 11/30/2017 7:34:35 PM, lnferno wrote:
At 11/27/2017 4:02:32 PM, Emilrose wrote:
It's because more illnesses are diagnosed, due improvements in medical science/healthcare and medical technology.

I like going to strip clubs. What about you. =)

GETLEMEN PUT YOUR HAND TOGETHER ONE MORE TIME FOR THE LOVELY PLATINUMMMMM!!!

Fanboy. Have you heard of my impostor. What do you think.
FanboyMctroll
Posts: 5,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 9:29:18 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 11/30/2017 9:24:13 PM, lnferno wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:23:41 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 11/30/2017 7:34:35 PM, lnferno wrote:
At 11/27/2017 4:02:32 PM, Emilrose wrote:
It's because more illnesses are diagnosed, due improvements in medical science/healthcare and medical technology.

I like going to strip clubs. What about you. =)

GETLEMEN PUT YOUR HAND TOGETHER ONE MORE TIME FOR THE LOVELY PLATINUMMMMM!!!

Fanboy. Have you heard of my impostor. What do you think.

Yeah, I have heard of him, but who is the imposter, you or him???
lnferno
Posts: 58
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 9:31:09 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 11/30/2017 9:29:18 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:24:13 PM, lnferno wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:23:41 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 11/30/2017 7:34:35 PM, lnferno wrote:
At 11/27/2017 4:02:32 PM, Emilrose wrote:
It's because more illnesses are diagnosed, due improvements in medical science/healthcare and medical technology.

I like going to strip clubs. What about you. =)

GETLEMEN PUT YOUR HAND TOGETHER ONE MORE TIME FOR THE LOVELY PLATINUMMMMM!!!

Fanboy. Have you heard of my impostor. What do you think.

Yeah, I have heard of him, but who is the imposter, you or him???

I am the real Inferno. He is impersonating me. Dont trust anything he says.
Quadrunner
Posts: 5,164
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2017 3:13:00 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 11/25/2017 5:18:11 PM, Eye_of_the_Needle wrote:
One would expect that humans are becoming progressively healthier over time. We seem to be living longer, our medical technology is improving rapidly, and economies of scale allows us to treat more people (in theory). But are we winning the fight against disease? Or losing it?

For starters, type in just about any disease you can think of into google, and add in the phrase "on the rise" after it. Examples: Crohn's, Celiac, Lymes, heart/cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes, obesity, low sperm count, stroke, alzheimers, liver disease/cirrhosis/hepatitis, chronic respiratory disease, pneumonia and influenza, kidney disease, Parkinson's, hypertension, botulism, dengue, pertussis, sickle cell, e. coli, plague, asthma, learning disabilities/adhd, hunger, autism, and HIV.

I was disturbed that in every case above (the list is not meant to be exhaustive), there are articles discussing how the numbers of people afflicted are increasing. Now I understand there can be reasons for this that don't mean people are getting sicker. Perhaps it's just the absolute numbers, not the percentages. Perhaps we are sensationalizing the increases but not the decreases. Perhaps these articles are written with a particular region in mind (while other areas were healthy), or a particular year, and were then resolved later on. I understand I am biased in my search, but I also am not turning up similar articles when I type "on the decline" instead. Many of these articles cite "unknown" reasons for the increases. Many of them are quite recent, and discuss global areas, mentioning percentages and not just absolute numbers.

What do you think? Is medical technology winning? Or are we slowly succumbing to illnesses in a trend that will see most of us sick in the coming decades, while we look backwards at humanity's golden years in our rear-view?

Birth rates are going down so disease related healthcare statistics should be going up. Enjoy your golden years.
Emilrose
Posts: 6,561
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2018 9:38:41 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
They are not on the rise, it's merely the case of people getting diagnosed more, precisely because of improvements in healthcare and advancements in medical technology. These days, people have blood tests and health check-ups, thus, more people are diagnosed with issues that would've otherwise gone unnoticed.
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.
Emilrose
Posts: 6,561
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2018 9:45:11 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
And in the case of learning disabilities-people with them seem more prominent because their life expectancy has increased and because there's a greater amount of acceptance towards them. Years ago, most just went to the asylum.
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.
Archaholic
Posts: 1,855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2018 2:27:22 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 11/27/2017 6:18:10 PM, inferno wrote:
At 11/27/2017 4:02:32 PM, Emilrose wrote:
It's because more illnesses are diagnosed, due improvements in medical science/healthcare and medical technology.

Very true. Many things can be picked up on a computer.
But I notice that more people are sick now because of the rise in synthetic and processed foods. It was not this way during the era before World War II.

+1
inferno
Posts: 15,426
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2018 1:40:34 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 11/27/2017 4:02:32 PM, Emilrose wrote:
It's because more illnesses are diagnosed, due improvements in medical science/healthcare and medical technology.

True. But processed foods and gmos break down the immune system at a faster pace. . You also have biochemical diseases that are able to attack the immune system and disable your neurotic or cognitive functions.
Emilrose
Posts: 6,561
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2018 2:09:59 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 1/22/2018 1:40:34 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/27/2017 4:02:32 PM, Emilrose wrote:
It's because more illnesses are diagnosed, due improvements in medical science/healthcare and medical technology.

True. But processed foods and gmos break down the immune system at a faster pace. . You also have biochemical diseases that are able to attack the immune system and disable your neurotic or cognitive functions.

GMO'S eliminate the bad bacteria within foods. Bananas, for example, are genetically modified. If they weren't, that bacteria would remain and they'd barely be edible. Even most of the dairy products that you consume are genetically modified. Sugar also is.
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.
inferno
Posts: 15,426
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2018 3:20:21 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 1/22/2018 2:09:59 AM, Emilrose wrote:
At 1/22/2018 1:40:34 AM, inferno wrote:
At 11/27/2017 4:02:32 PM, Emilrose wrote:
It's because more illnesses are diagnosed, due improvements in medical science/healthcare and medical technology.

True. But processed foods and gmos break down the immune system at a faster pace. . You also have biochemical diseases that are able to attack the immune system and disable your neurotic or cognitive functions.

GMO'S eliminate the bad bacteria within foods. Bananas, for example, are genetically modified. If they weren't, that bacteria would remain and they'd barely be edible. Even most of the dairy products that you consume are genetically modified. Sugar also is.

Genetically modified food causes sterilization, stunted growth, stillborn children and produces chronic waste inside the intestines.
danibrittany
Posts: 9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2018 11:53:24 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
It is not a simple question to answer. Some of the diseases are almost going extinct like polio while the new ones are propping up. The overall lifespan of humans has increased but do we enjoy the same quality of life as our ancestors did? It is not easy to tell. But, one thing is for sure, medical science has progressed a great deal.
nishamathur
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2018 12:01:34 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
You'll correctly be said that our technology is improving day by day but at the same time we are getting used to fast food and ill habits of life like smoking, drinking so on so forth
. I believe with exercise if we could take the solution from Ayurvedic Medicine which does not have any side effect that will be of great help. You can go this site in case you need any ayurvedic or herbal products: www.drshardasremedy.com/
Herbal medicine supplier