Total Posts:29|Showing Posts:1-29
Jump to topic:

My Mom and Isotonix

PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2009 5:52:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
A couple of months ago, my mom saw an infomercial for a line of drugs called "Isotonix." Supposedly, the powder, which you are supposed to mix in water and drink, gives you more energy, lowers cholesterol, prevents diseases, increases your awareness, and pretty much is a magical panacea for all of life's problems. Out of impulse, my mom quickly ordered a whole lot of The Stuff, and has been taking It ever since.

This was all fine and dandy until a few weeks ago when I fell sick. She became panicked, and, despite my objections, forced me to drink The Stuff. And ever since, I've been forced to drink The Stuff twice every day.

Today, I am no longer sick--a fact which my mom is now erroneously attributing to The Stuff--but when I was sick, The Stuff burned my throat every time I drank It. So I did some research, and according to the manufacture's website, "The Food and Drug Administration has not evaluated these statements. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease."

Now, I don't mean to be a paranoid liberal, but I don't even trust drugs that are FDA-approved. So how do you expect me to trust The Stuff when it isn't?

I raise my objections to my mother, but she furiously denounces any argument I bring to her. I point to online reviews that say it's a bunch of BS, and she refuses to believe me. I tell her that for centuries quacks have tried to sell fake drugs, and she refuses to believe me.

"What?" my mom says. "Why do you think I would want to kill my own son?"

"Mom," I say, "I never said you wanted to kill me, it's just that--"

"So unappreciative of everything I do for you! Your room always so messy! You not doing good in school! You take everything for granted! When you turn 18, you out of house! No more here! I don't want to see you anymore..."

Her Asian lecture will continue. I can't raise an objection, because any sign of opposition will add five minutes to her yelling.

Thus, I ask my friends on DDO. What should I do? I just really can't stand The Stuff.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
leet4A1
Posts: 1,986
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2009 5:57:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/23/2009 5:52:34 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
A couple of months ago, my mom saw an infomercial for a line of drugs called "Isotonix." Supposedly, the powder, which you are supposed to mix in water and drink, gives you more energy, lowers cholesterol, prevents diseases, increases your awareness, and pretty much is a magical panacea for all of life's problems. Out of impulse, my mom quickly ordered a whole lot of The Stuff, and has been taking It ever since.

This was all fine and dandy until a few weeks ago when I fell sick. She became panicked, and, despite my objections, forced me to drink The Stuff. And ever since, I've been forced to drink The Stuff twice every day.

Today, I am no longer sick--a fact which my mom is now erroneously attributing to The Stuff--but when I was sick, The Stuff burned my throat every time I drank It. So I did some research, and according to the manufacture's website, "The Food and Drug Administration has not evaluated these statements. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease."

Now, I don't mean to be a paranoid liberal, but I don't even trust drugs that are FDA-approved. So how do you expect me to trust The Stuff when it isn't?

I raise my objections to my mother, but she furiously denounces any argument I bring to her. I point to online reviews that say it's a bunch of BS, and she refuses to believe me. I tell her that for centuries quacks have tried to sell fake drugs, and she refuses to believe me.

"What?" my mom says. "Why do you think I would want to kill my own son?"

"Mom," I say, "I never said you wanted to kill me, it's just that--"

"So unappreciative of everything I do for you! Your room always so messy! You not doing good in school! You take everything for granted! When you turn 18, you out of house! No more here! I don't want to see you anymore..."

Her Asian lecture will continue. I can't raise an objection, because any sign of opposition will add five minutes to her yelling.

Thus, I ask my friends on DDO. What should I do? I just really can't stand The Stuff.

1. Tell her to get effed and drink the vile sh*t herself if she thinks it's such a wonder-drug.

If 1 isn't your cup of tea, i.e. you don't want further rants directed your way, you don't want to tell your mother to get effed, etc., I would suggest:

2. Tell her you're drinking it but actually tip it down the drain. I mean, she doesn't sit there and watch you drink it does she?
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,236
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2009 6:01:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Get a video camera. Videotape your conversation. Tell her you'll sue if anything bad happens.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2009 6:05:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/23/2009 5:57:44 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
2. Tell her you're drinking it but actually tip it down the drain. I mean, she doesn't sit there and watch you drink it does she?

In the afternoon, she'll give me The Stuff when I'm in my room. She'll walk away, and come back in, like, five minutes to pick up The Stuff's specialized cup, which she suspects to be empty by the time she comes back. I can't really get to a drain, because my room opens to a four-way intersection: one to the kitchen, one to the bathroom, and one to the livingroom, where my mom is usually watching Korean soap operas during my Afternoon dose. I can't get out of the Morning dose, because it's in the morning and I'm in a hurry to get to school. No use arguing then.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
leet4A1
Posts: 1,986
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2009 6:09:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/23/2009 6:05:56 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 11/23/2009 5:57:44 PM, leet4A1 wrote:
2. Tell her you're drinking it but actually tip it down the drain. I mean, she doesn't sit there and watch you drink it does she?

In the afternoon, she'll give me The Stuff when I'm in my room. She'll walk away, and come back in, like, five minutes to pick up The Stuff's specialized cup, which she suspects to be empty by the time she comes back. I can't really get to a drain, because my room opens to a four-way intersection: one to the kitchen, one to the bathroom, and one to the livingroom, where my mom is usually watching Korean soap operas during my Afternoon dose. I can't get out of the Morning dose, because it's in the morning and I'm in a hurry to get to school. No use arguing then.

I don't know then man, you're a bright lad you'll work it out.

You know that:
a) You're old enough to decide what goes in and out of your body.
b) There's no guarantee that this stuff is even mildly safe, let alone beneficial, so there's no reason to drink it.

Hence, find some way of tipping it out without your mother finding out. You got a window in your room?
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2009 6:13:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/23/2009 5:52:34 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
This was all fine and dandy until a few weeks ago when I fell sick. She became panicked, and, despite my objections, forced me to drink The Stuff. And ever since, I've been forced to drink The Stuff twice every day.

Today, I am no longer sick--a fact which my mom is now erroneously attributing to The Stuff

Tell your Mom that her reasoning falls under the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. Logic always works in arguments with parents. :P
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2009 6:15:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/23/2009 6:11:41 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
What happens if you refuse to drink it?

Why do you feel as though Cody's sick, fascist mind is begging for PoeJoe to say waterboarding, bamboo shoots under his fingernails, or something to that affect. :)
leet4A1
Posts: 1,986
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2009 6:16:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/23/2009 6:13:30 PM, Nags wrote:
At 11/23/2009 5:52:34 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
This was all fine and dandy until a few weeks ago when I fell sick. She became panicked, and, despite my objections, forced me to drink The Stuff. And ever since, I've been forced to drink The Stuff twice every day.

Today, I am no longer sick--a fact which my mom is now erroneously attributing to The Stuff

Tell your Mom that her reasoning falls under the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. Logic always works in arguments with parents. :P

Lol! If I said that to my old lady she'd tell me to talk English.

But then, she'd never force me to drink some stupid wonder drink to cure ailments I don't even have. She'd also be wary of stuff not approved by the FDA. Is your mother reasonable PoeJoe, couldn't you just talk to her about it.

And as someone above said, what is the worst that could come of you refusing to drink it?
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2009 6:29:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If I refuse to drink The Stuff, then I get yelled at until I do. When I realize that I have much better things to do such as homework (yelling sessions can be lengthy), I give in. Also, I think I've been brainwashed. I don't think I'm ready to actively rebel by pouring The Stuff out the window. (Sorry Cody, she hasn't covered the windows with electrified metal bars yet.)

My question is, if you were me, how would you talk your way out of drinking The Stuff?
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,236
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2009 6:32:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
One option:

Talk to a high school counselor. They presumably know whether that can be categorized as abuse.

Nothing like overcoming child abuse for your resume.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
leet4A1
Posts: 1,986
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2009 6:34:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/23/2009 6:29:28 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
If I refuse to drink The Stuff, then I get yelled at until I do. When I realize that I have much better things to do such as homework (yelling sessions can be lengthy), I give in. Also, I think I've been brainwashed. I don't think I'm ready to actively rebel by pouring The Stuff out the window. (Sorry Cody, she hasn't covered the windows with electrified metal bars yet.)

My question is, if you were me, how would you talk your way out of drinking The Stuff?

I would tell my mother that:

a) I don't need it.
b) I don't want it.
c) I'm old enough to determine what I do and do not want going into my body.
d) It's not approved by the FDA, which means it's potentially dangerous or otherwise ineffective.
e) Her yelling at me doesn't change points a) to d), and distracts me from doing my homework, which is important.

If she still kept yelling at me to take it, I'd go for a walk or something so I didn't have to listen to it.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2009 6:34:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/23/2009 6:32:36 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
One option:

Talk to a high school counselor. They presumably know whether that can be categorized as abuse.

Nothing like overcoming child abuse for your resume.

I'm not sure if that's a joke or not.

But assuming that it isn't, my mom isn't abusing me. I'm exaggerating a little bit, of course.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,236
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2009 6:37:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Potentially poisoning isn't abuse?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2009 6:40:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/23/2009 6:37:45 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Potentially poisoning isn't abuse?

Anything can be poisonous, depending on the dosage.
Don't wait around.
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2009 6:43:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It even has it's own psych classification. ;)

You are in a rush in the morning so leave it on the table. Yelling at someone non responsive sends the message they are not listening. It's what behaviourists recommend for other tantrum prone individuals, like young children. >.>

Either that or self induce vomiting after partaking. Add some red food dye for effect!
Then point and explain it is eating away your insides. ^^
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,236
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2009 6:47:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/23/2009 6:40:04 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 11/23/2009 6:37:45 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Potentially poisoning isn't abuse?

Anything can be poisonous, depending on the dosage.

And this is a dosage of an unknown substance, a dosage significant enough to burn the throat. Though I'm against the FDA, it's not like this company is citing any sort of principle to avoid FDA testing and replace it with some otherform of evidence. It's just afraid of the testing.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
tkubok
Posts: 4,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2009 1:41:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/23/2009 6:47:53 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 11/23/2009 6:40:04 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 11/23/2009 6:37:45 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Potentially poisoning isn't abuse?

Anything can be poisonous, depending on the dosage.

And this is a dosage of an unknown substance, a dosage significant enough to burn the throat. Though I'm against the FDA, it's not like this company is citing any sort of principle to avoid FDA testing and replace it with some otherform of evidence. It's just afraid of the testing.

What its afraid of is the possibility that the tests will confirm what they already know; the drink is useless and has no positive health benefits.

What i doubt they are afraid of, is that the FDA will find out that the drink has harmful carcinogenic/toxic properties. So i dont think there is no potential for poisoning. Potential for gullibility and money-scamming? Most definately. But not a potential for poisoning.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,236
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2009 1:59:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'd agree with you-- if the drink didn't burn the throat. It could just be spicy, but any form of irratation in the face of a completely unknown substance is a sign not to ingest it.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Lifeisgood
Posts: 295
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2009 2:11:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/23/2009 6:13:30 PM, Nags wrote:
Tell your Mom that her reasoning falls under the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. Logic always works in arguments with parents. :P

NOOO! Bad suggestion, bad! Never point out your parents' fallacies; they will cause you great pain if you do. Believe me, I have learned this the hard way.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
leet4A1
Posts: 1,986
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2009 2:31:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/24/2009 2:11:19 PM, Lifeisgood wrote:
At 11/23/2009 6:13:30 PM, Nags wrote:
Tell your Mom that her reasoning falls under the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. Logic always works in arguments with parents. :P

NOOO! Bad suggestion, bad! Never point out your parents' fallacies; they will cause you great pain if you do. Believe me, I have learned this the hard way.

I disagree. Always point out your parents' fallacies... let them know they're not as smart as they think they are just because they spat out a few kids.

Cause a great deal of pain? You've learned the hard way? Do your parents beat you? o.O
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
tkubok
Posts: 4,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 5:46:44 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/24/2009 1:59:53 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I'd agree with you-- if the drink didn't burn the throat. It could just be spicy, but any form of irratation in the face of a completely unknown substance is a sign not to ingest it.

Quite frankly, i think he is overexaggerating. Besides, he had a cold, his throat could have been sore beforehand, in which case any beverage could cause irritation.
johngriswald
Posts: 1,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 5:52:50 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/23/2009 5:52:34 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
Her Asian lecture will continue.

Asian LOL, that is what I get every time I see my mother. LOL, believe me, its not specific to your race.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
johngriswald
Posts: 1,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2009 6:00:58 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/23/2009 5:52:34 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
Thus, I ask my friends on DDO. What should I do? I just really can't stand The Stuff.

If you don't want it, don't take it. Grow a set and tell your mom you'll do what you like. You're a man, you have a penis, you dominate the world. Tell your mom that you're not taking any of this bullcrap, and then wage a war against the manufacterer by threatening a lawsuit.

(I've done this before so I know it works)
1. Man up to mom
2. Call the product's hotline,
speak with representative,
pretend you are a District Attorney, you want to speak with the higher ups ,immediately keep working your way up the chain till there is no higher to go.

Then ask him his full name, ask him the address of the place, talk in a deep voice, ask him if its ok if you record the conversation for later reference, question him on the factual nature of his product. Ask if there has been any double-blind studies performed. Insist on being mailed a copy of the lab reports done. Question the validity. Inform him that the FDA is looking into his business and that he has one week to comply with the FDA standard that his product not make any false claims, if not you will do a full investigation.

Go online and actuallly get whatever regulatory agency to look in to his product.

I did all of the following steps, and suddenly the radio advertisements stopped, the paper ads disappeared, etc.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
alkazely
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 10:08:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Did you end up with taking the stuff? Is she still taking them?

At 11/23/2009 5:52:34 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
A couple of months ago, my mom saw an infomercial for a line of drugs called "Isotonix." Supposedly, the powder, which you are supposed to mix in water and drink, gives you more energy, lowers cholesterol, prevents diseases, increases your awareness, and pretty much is a magical panacea for all of life's problems. Out of impulse, my mom quickly ordered a whole lot of The Stuff, and has been taking It ever since.

This was all fine and dandy until a few weeks ago when I fell sick. She became panicked, and, despite my objections, forced me to drink The Stuff. And ever since, I've been forced to drink The Stuff twice every day.

Today, I am no longer sick--a fact which my mom is now erroneously attributing to The Stuff--but when I was sick, The Stuff burned my throat every time I drank It. So I did some research, and according to the manufacture's website, "The Food and Drug Administration has not evaluated these statements. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease."

Now, I don't mean to be a paranoid liberal, but I don't even trust drugs that are FDA-approved. So how do you expect me to trust The Stuff when it isn't?

I raise my objections to my mother, but she furiously denounces any argument I bring to her. I point to online reviews that say it's a bunch of BS, and she refuses to believe me. I tell her that for centuries quacks have tried to sell fake drugs, and she refuses to believe me.

"What?" my mom says. "Why do you think I would want to kill my own son?"

"Mom," I say, "I never said you wanted to kill me, it's just that--"

"So unappreciative of everything I do for you! Your room always so messy! You not doing good in school! You take everything for granted! When you turn 18, you out of house! No more here! I don't want to see you anymore..."

Her Asian lecture will continue. I can't raise an objection, because any sign of opposition will add five minutes to her yelling.

Thus, I ask my friends on DDO. What should I do? I just really can't stand The Stuff.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2011 12:13:09 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Look her straight in the eye and say, I am not drinking that sh1t. End off discussion.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,236
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2011 2:49:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Poejoe will probably never know about this necromancy, you know.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.