Debating_Horse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2017 2:48:50 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
The Vietnam War.

https://www.youtube.com...

The Vietnam War was a waste of time for the U.S to be in. What point did we really have in being there? Just stopping communism? We failed to contain it anyways. All the death, the immense destruction of life and the environment, I see it myself, we simply should have not been there. Please add your thoughts on the war, did you think it was worth fighting? What do you think about draft dodgers? I would like to hear some responses.
George
levi_smiles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2017 8:38:54 PM
At 10/29/2017 2:48:50 AM, Debating_Horse wrote:
The Vietnam War.

https://www.youtube.com...

The Vietnam War was a waste of time for the U.S to be in. What point did we really have in being there? Just stopping communism? We failed to contain it anyways. All the death, the immense destruction of life and the environment, I see it myself, we simply should have not been there. Please add your thoughts on the war, did you think it was worth fighting? What do you think about draft dodgers? I would like to hear some responses.

The Korean War shared many of the causes and dynamic of the Vietnam War. Was the Korean War similarly unjustified? If not, what are the important differences? If yes, is our present leadership in the containment if North Korea unjustified?
Debating_Horse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2017 1:20:07 AM
At 10/29/2017 8:38:54 PM, levi_smiles wrote:
The Korean War shared many of the causes and dynamic of the Vietnam War. Was the Korean War similarly unjustified? If not, what are the important differences? If yes, is our present leadership in the containment if North Korea unjustified?

"Was the Korean War similarly unjustified?"

Yes it was, but that was kind of different. The North Communist aggressors invaded the southern region of the peninsula, yes we could have ignored it, but it was the the president like Lyndon B J, who wanted to put forth the repelling of the invaders.
George
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2017 10:34:45 AM
I sometimes wonder what the U.S. thinks it is achieving by starting wars all over the globe. (But never any where near the U.S. of course). I am aware that the U.S. Military/industrial Complex needs to fight to keep its various weapons manufacturers gainfully employed in R+D making new weapons to fight old adversaries but it really is time for Americans to grow up and realise that force is not always the answer.

Vietnam became a war of attrition that the U.S. knew it could never win but couldn't be seen to actually lose it. As you will have seen on Ken Burn's excellent series (on Netflix) the U.S. Administration was trapped in a no-win situation for years. In Vietnam you will see many of the same problems as there are in today's War on Terror. You have an enemy that has no Headquarters you can bomb, no soldiers in array you can shell and no masses of troops you can attack. Your enemy has no political aim except to destroy you and has no interest in diplomatic negotiation so even a temporary ceasefire is impossible. You cannot win a war that could last for centuries and whose soldiers wear no uniform. You have enemy combatants walking free and unsuspected in your own cities who can, and will, attack your citizens with no warning at all. (I see you were attacked yesterday, my commiserations). In the Vietnam war at least you didn't have the V.C. killing people in America.
ebuc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2017 12:41:27 AM
"War is obsolete"...R B Fuller{ 1969 }

Profit and greed are not.

Standard of living for all, or else no standard for living.
Space( 31 ){ Gravity and Dark Energy } Time ^ 66 v{ frequency ^v^v }
Mind{ 12 }, Biological { 8 }, Spin { < 6 > }, IS { 2 }
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2017 11:51:59 PM
At 11/2/2017 12:41:27 AM, ebuc wrote:
"War is obsolete"...R B Fuller{ 1969 }

Profit and greed are not.

Standard of living for all, or else no standard for living.

( If you turn your "messages" on I could spare your blushes).
If you are going to use quotes you should not edit them unless you are paraphraseing.
R. B. Fuller wrote: "Either war is obsolete or men are". He is obviously wrong on both counts.
ebuc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2017 1:28:26 PM
At 11/2/2017 11:51:59 PM, GrimlyF wrote:
( If you turn your "messages" on I could spare your blushes).:

Huh?

If you are going to use quotes you should not edit them unless you are paraphraseing.:

Huh?

R. B. Fuller wrote: "Either war is obsolete or men are". He is obviously wrong on both counts.:

Huh? I think you dont grasp his point.. Nuclear war is inevitable out come of having nukes on Earth and no one survives such a war. And I thought you were rational logical common sense person.

Oops, my error.
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2017 4:40:14 AM
At 11/3/2017 1:28:26 PM, ebuc wrote:
At 11/2/2017 11:51:59 PM, GrimlyF wrote:
( If you turn your "messages" on I could spare your blushes).:

Huh?

If you are going to use quotes you should not edit them unless you are paraphraseing.:

Huh?

R. B. Fuller wrote: "Either war is obsolete or men are". He is obviously wrong on both counts.:

Huh? I think you dont grasp his point.. Nuclear war is inevitable out come of having nukes on Earth and no one survives such a war. And I thought you were rational logical common sense person.

Oops, my error.

Where, in this thread, are nukes mentioned? What do nukes have to do with Vietnam? Having nukes does not inevitably lead to the extinction of Humanity. To judge the rationality of someone you must be capable of rational thought yourself. You come up short.
ebuc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2017 4:24:06 PM
At 11/4/2017 4:40:14 AM, GrimlyF wrote:
Where, in this thread, are nukes mentioned? What do nukes have to do with Vietnam? Having nukes does not inevitably lead to the extinction of Humanity. To judge the rationality of someone you must be capable of rational thought yourself. You come up short.:

I think ego genie is working overtime and shortsightedness is the name of your came

.."war is obsolete"....thread topic includes word war...and Fullers quote was made during Vietnam era.

The ultimate war involves hydrogen bombs and humanity looses. This is a no brainer.

Obviously, your too young to recall, or have lived through the 60 years of changes humanity has emtionally processed in these regards.

Starting with those who questioned the building of first atomic bomb and what it means to humanites future.

3 atomic bombs used in Japan{ 40's }

Korea conflict{ 50's}

The Cuban missille crisis.{ 60 }

Vietnam jungle excursion{ 60 - 70 }
...my brother went and I lost one person I knew personally, just a little...

Growth of nuclear power industry{ 70's }

Growth of nuclear weapons world wide.40's - 90's }

Bombers in the sky 24 hours a day waiting for call to target the bombs.{ 60 - 90's }

Submarines loaded with hydrogen bombs around the planet.{ 50's - 2017 }

Treaties to reduce hydrogen bombs, stop 24 hr bombs in the sky.{ 90's }

Increase in countries with nuclear weapons{ 40's - 2017 }

Internet algorithyms infiltration world wide.
..suxnet destroies Irans centrfugies, temporarliy, and it is an out there program to be used anywhere anytime, by anyone with the abilities any industry that is connected to the net.......

We are one-world-island-for-all or for none as long as hydrogen bombs exist.

Carl Sagan and R B Fuller both stated that, we are either in a dark age, or headed into dark age.

If the lights go out, those with solar may be the only enlioghted ones.
George_Simmons02
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 2:40:07 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
We had no business in Vietnam. Even though we ended up with a military victory, our politicains went and screwed it up and basically handed the whole country to the communists.