Jump to topic:

What would have happened?

1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 2:11:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
What would have happened if the French had not entered the American Revolution? I personally think we would have lost because the British would have won Yorktown and most of the later victories were because of the French.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 2:25:06 PM
We would all be speaking British.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 2:28:38 PM
At 3/16/2012 2:25:06 PM, phantom wrote:
We would all be speaking British.

Actually, I think not. Accents depend on the location, not which country it belongs to. We would still have no contact with Britain.
Wall of LOL
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 2:34:34 PM
Accents aren't dependent on geography they're dependent on how everyone else talks around you.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 2:57:27 PM
At 3/16/2012 2:34:34 PM, phantom wrote:
Accents aren't dependent on geography they're dependent on how everyone else talks around you.

Yes and how everyone else talks around you depends on geography.
Wall of LOL
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 5:11:46 PM
At 3/16/2012 2:57:27 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:

Lol, dude that is just immense circular reasoning.

I am American and currently live in America but most of my friends say I have an English accent.

Someone can be born in American and have a Spanish accent if they grow up around spanish people.

If we were invaded by Russians, 100 years from now we would have close to russian accents. (that is the most applicable analogy.)

Really, how can you believe that a persons accent is dependent on geography?
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 5:29:34 PM
At 3/16/2012 5:11:46 PM, phantom wrote:

I am American and currently live in America but most of my friends say I have an English accent.

Someone can be born in American and have a Spanish accent if they grow up around spanish people.

If we were invaded by Russians, 100 years from now we would have close to russian accents. (that is the most applicable analogy.)

Because they are far away from Britain, so their accents would change because of low contact with Britain. If Britain still ruled US, then we would still not have British accents because we are away from the British speaking people.

It goes like this:

1. British people move to US.
2. British people not in contact with Britain for years.
3. British people accents change.

Accents are caused by geography.
Wall of LOL
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 5:33:10 PM
At 3/16/2012 5:29:34 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:

Because they are far away from Britain, so their accents would change because of low contact with Britain. If Britain still ruled US, then we would still not have British accents because we are away from the British speaking people.

It goes like this:

1) Antarctica is a geographic location
2) There are no people in Antarctica
3) There are no accents in Antarctica

Hence accents are cause by people not geography
Debate.org Moderator
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 5:36:46 PM
1dustpelt, how could geographic location shape a human characteristic?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 5:40:00 PM

It goes like this:

In south africa many people have dutch accents. They have never set foot in Holland. Why is this. BECAUSE THE DUTCH COLONIZED HOLAND YEARS AGO!! Bam argument refuted.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 5:46:24 PM
At 3/16/2012 5:40:00 PM, phantom wrote:

It goes like this:

In south africa many people have dutch accents. They have never set foot in Holland. Why is this. BECAUSE THE DUTCH COLONIZED SOUTH AFRICA YEARS AGO!! Bam argument refuted.

fixed
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 8:22:28 PM
At 3/16/2012 5:36:46 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
1dustpelt, how could geographic location shape a human characteristic?

He does not mean that the terrain and placement of the land has an affect on the accent of its people. By using the term 'geography' he is referring to the relative placement of people within a certain area.

There are two types of geography, physical geography (http://en.wikipedia.org...) and human geography (http://en.wikipedia.org...); he is obviously referring to the latter. If you were born in Russia you would have a Russian accent because of the human geography of Russia. If you were born in America you would have an American accent for the same reason.

Therefore, if one nation conquers another, because the human geography of the conquered nation doesn't change, the accent doesn't change. But if a population of the conquering nation migrated to the conquered nation, then the accent would change because the human geography has changed.

Again, he's not referring to the mountains or rivers having an affect on the accent.
"Were He to recall His breath, to draw His breathing back to Himself, things of flesh would perish altogether, and man would turn to dust." -- Job 34:14-15

"no use crying over splattered heretic" -- ExsurgeDomine
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2012 8:35:39 PM
In fact, there's even an entire subbranch of human geography titled "Language geography." (http://en.wikipedia.org...)
"Were He to recall His breath, to draw His breathing back to Himself, things of flesh would perish altogether, and man would turn to dust." -- Job 34:14-15

"no use crying over splattered heretic" -- ExsurgeDomine
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 1:01:36 AM
I think America would have lost without French help. That would mean considerably more of the British upper class ruling the colonies, controlling education, and so forth. That probably would have slowed the divergence of language, though it would happen eventually.

Australians speak closer to British English than does the U.S. though they are certainly diverging. I think it's because of longer British rule coupled with fewer immigrants from other nations. Canadians speak closer to American English, don't ya know, but that's probably due to the American influence.

I read it takes about a thousand years of isolation for a new language to emerge. Settlement of the islands of Polynesia is dated with the help of clues from language divergence.
Roy's political blog http://factspluslogic.com...
Roy's photo blog: http://quickshotartist.com...
Roy's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com...