Total Posts:68|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What are the best unbiased news sources?

chrumbelievable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 1:37:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
In my blog post this week (http://blog.debate.org...), I take a look at our quest for unbiased information. I have compiled a list of my top 8 unbiased news sources, which include:

Wikinews
AlterNet
The Real News
Reuters
The Independent
PBS
BBC
CSPAN

How do you feel about these? Where do you go for your news? Do you consider it a biased source? If so, why do you continue to use it as a resource? Do you ever intentionally seek out publications that you know run contrary to what you believe?
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 2:00:44 PM
I don't think there's such a thing as "unbias" since simply what gets reported and doesn't get reported is bias. And of course there's more than 2 different ideologies that can get "offended" by certain assumptions.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
chrumbelievable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 2:12:39 PM
At 8/24/2012 2:00:44 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I don't think there's such a thing as "unbias" since simply what gets reported and doesn't get reported is bias. And of course there's more than 2 different ideologies that can get "offended" by certain assumptions.

That's pretty much what I argue in my blog, if you read it ;P
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 1:14:22 AM
First things first, you are the cutest cutie I've seen on this site so far. ^^

Secondly, I agree with the list you've provided, especially C-SPAN since it's essentially nothing more than an unedited window into government proceedings. There's really no room for bias.
I Shiggy Diggy @"... @_"... @"... @_"

Video Rap Battle: Ryuu vs. TUF -- Check it Out!
http://www.debate.org...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 2:02:26 PM
Infowars
RT
Alex Jones Show
"Human civilization is not something achieved against nature; it is rather the outcome of the working of the innate qualities of man."
-- Ludwig von Mises
EricPrice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 11:47:04 AM
"Bias" is such a biased term.

If I can offer a new perspective, I often feel as if the media is not pursuing any particular political agenda. This goes for Fox NEWS and MSNBC, as well. (I said that on purpose.)

I've worked with radio, television and film media, as well as print journalism – and I have come away with an even more depressing view of our information media: they are lazy.

News and information media has become a for-profit enterprise, and has incorporated very large doses of corporate advertising and entertainment that it presents as "news." Most journalists copy and paste all their articles, virtually word for word, and nobody resists the will of advertisers or editors.

The result: it starts to look as if the politics of advertisers has trumped all else. My take: Reporters are not doing their jobs as journalists; they are working for advertisers.

Therefore, the "best" unbiased news and information sources are the ones that are barely funded, such as NPR, and PBS. I often trust Reuters, as well. Remember, blogs and podcasts answer to donors – and will inevitably treat these contributors in the same way that big outlets treat advertisers.
TombLikeBomb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 8:54:47 PM
At 8/24/2012 2:00:44 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Great point. While MSNBC and FOX are clearly different from CNN in the sense that they are consciously propagandistic, centrism is no less rooted in ideology. Simply by stepping outside of one's, in this case national, comfort zone can one see this.
From the time of the progressive era with the rise of public schooling through the post-WWII period, capital invaded the time workers had liberated from waged work and shaped it for purposes of social control. Perhaps the most obvious moment of this colonization was the re-incarceration in schools of the young (who were expelled from the factories by child labor laws) such that what might have been free time was structured to convert their life energies into labor power.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 9:10:20 PM
At 8/24/2012 1:37:48 PM, chrumbelievable wrote:
In my blog post this week (http://blog.debate.org...), I take a look at our quest for unbiased information. I have compiled a list of my top 8 unbiased news sources, which include:

Wikinews
AlterNet

Pro-gay

The Real News
Reuters

Liberal sometimes

The Independent

Sometimes conservative

PBS
BBC
CSPAN

How do you feel about these? Where do you go for your news? Do you consider it a biased source? If so, why do you continue to use it as a resource? Do you ever intentionally seek out publications that you know run contrary to what you believe?
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" Alec Cairncross, 1969

"Be able to analyze statistics, which can be used to support or undercut almost any argument." -Marilyn vos Savant

https://www.youtube.com...
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 9:24:01 PM
At 9/9/2012 9:10:20 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Wikinews
AlterNet

Pro-gay

The Real News
Reuters

Liberal sometimes

The Independent

Sometimes conservative

PBS
BBC
CSPAN

+1

Forget media outlets. Do your own research if you want to know something.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 7:32:32 PM
At 9/9/2012 9:10:20 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Wikinews
AlterNet

Pro-gay

Are you fvcking joking?

The Real News
Reuters

Liberal sometimes

The Independent

Sometimes conservative

PBS
BBC
CSPAN

In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 10:48:04 AM
I like C-SPAN a lot but it's not really a news source. They don't cover current events in any way comparable to a news source.

A study done by USC (if I recall) measured bias by counting how often various think tanks were quoted. They rated the think tanks by how often the rated left-wing and right-wing Congressmen quoted them. Various organizations like ACA and ADA classify congress by votes on key issues, and the raters strongly agree.

The least biased news sources were PBS and Fox News. Keep in mind they were only rating the prime time news show, not opinions in other shows. PBS as a whole is obviously loaded with left-wing opinion and Fox with right-wing opinion, but both keep it out of the news reports, according to the study. As expected, most mainstream media is slanted to the left.

Bias also shows up in what stories are reported. When Rachel Maddow on MSNBC covered the Republican convention, she talked about abortion and birth control exclusively. If there as anything happening with the economy, you'd never know it. There is no cure to selective coverage other than to use different media outlets.

I regularly use the Wall Street Journal, Fox News, C-SPAN2, CNN, Drudge, Politco, and The Daily Caller. I also read the on-line English versions of Japanese newspapers like Asahi Shimbun -- no reason beyond an interest in Japan. I do think it's good to have a non-US news source. It's most interesting to see what they think is important.
Roy's political blog http://factspluslogic.com...
Roy's photo blog: http://quickshotartist.com...
Roy's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com...
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 2:18:50 PM
Don't aim for unbiased.

Aim for a correct mix of left and right wing perspectives. Otherwise, you run of the risk of interpreting reinforcing perspectives as unbiased.

I like Realclearpolitics for a good mix.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 2:21:47 PM
At 9/12/2012 2:18:50 PM, Wnope wrote:
Don't aim for unbiased.

Aim for a correct mix of left and right wing perspectives. Otherwise, you run of the risk of interpreting reinforcing perspectives as unbiased.

Realclearpolitics is good, but it's mostly opinion, whereas if you want to get a full breadth of news, I still think WSJ.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 2:38:46 PM
At 9/12/2012 2:21:47 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/12/2012 2:18:50 PM, Wnope wrote:
Don't aim for unbiased.

Realclearpolitics is good, but it's mostly opinion, whereas if you want to get a full breadth of news, I still think WSJ.

WSJ isn't bad, but all newspapers are run by a hierarchy, and as long as the ones near the top are biased, there will be a slight slant. Doesn't mean don't read it, just that it's good to make sure you're reading a full spectrum.

That's why I read drudge occasionally.
hlschoen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2013 6:02:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Your post came up in my google search for "unbiased news". I just looked up one on your list, "alternet", and it seems to be progressive. Just reading the "about us" section raises the liberal flag. I lean liberal, but when I want news, I want news, not advocacy pushing agenda. I wish google news was better at sorting bias sources (like "money news...news max media) versus real journalism.
Themadasshatter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 4:11:33 AM
I understand it's generally faux pas or frowned upon in some forums to resurrect an old post without presenting awesomely new information but seeing that this post is relevant for the reason described below I felt it wasn't likely to be ill received.

A kindness if you're taking the time to read this self introduction: I'll try and return the kindness with by making this brief (maybe even throw in a howdy or two :-) ) How I got here: In recent political climate I've found myself irked with people in terms of having a strong opinion about something, but not actually having any source of information other than the grapevine of Facebook, online forums, or what people say in passing. Im happy people feel strongly about something (and it's not my place to judge them in the first place), I just find myself dissatisfied with the information I'm currently offered. In other forums I will claim ignorance on issues and tell people I don't know enough to answer- A few times I've told people I'd read into things further before giving my opinion. SOOO in going out and looking for (hopefully) reputable sources of info to try and wrap my head around things, I stumble across this site: Based on the answers given on this topic alone I was immediately impressed. Very refreshing for me to read the well articulated, seemingly well informed, and (I'd be willing to bet) intelligent answers. Nobody was flaming anyone else, no insults for insults sake, it seems people understand the difference between opinion and fact, and arguing from fighting... All while not seeming stuffy or pedantic. I thought "What web site is this?? I think I'll waste a bit more time here." :-)
See? As promised, short: I'll leave it at that. Nice to meet y'all, have a good one. :-p
kephrira
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 6:09:42 PM
I can't believe you included the Independent. That was originally started as non-partisan paper, but for a few years now it has been one of the most left-wing papers in the UK.

My recommendation is http://worldnewscurator.com...
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 9:50:17 PM
At 1/23/2013 5:10:07 PM, sadolite wrote:
There are none.

I agree.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

~ Hamlet, Hamlet - Shakespeare
DoubtingDave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 2:18:33 PM
Although there are no real unbiased news sources, the best way is to get a mixture of everything. For me, I mainly watch/read Fox, CNN, PBS, NPR, C-SPAN, Heritage Foundation (although more of a think tank than news), TownHall.com, and the WSJ.
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2013 8:15:20 PM
The point is not to find the most "unbiased" news source. Since it's impossible to confirm.

The point is to observe as many differing news sources as you can to compromise the most accurate picture with your own reasoning.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 3:04:56 AM
I personally don't read any news from a particular source. I'm more likely to have some piece of news filtered through to me through social media or other social sources (like cracked, 9gag, 4chan) and then do my own research.
The only news sources I like are tech sources like CNet and IGN. :P
Captain Hindsight says "You shouldn't have spent so much time on DDO."