Total Posts:225|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What do you believe and why?

SecularMerlin
Posts: 6,927
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2017 11:45:33 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
Be ready to have your beliefs question and don't hesitate to question the beliefs of others. More importantly have an open mind and don't take it to seriously. Even if your beliefs are observable as false you have the right to believe them, just ask a pastafarian. If a pastafarian graces us with their presence, I plan on asking him that and other stuff too. Stuff like "how big are your god's balls?"
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
janesix
Posts: 8,140
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 8:48:56 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 11/28/2017 11:45:33 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
Be ready to have your beliefs question and don't hesitate to question the beliefs of others. More importantly have an open mind and don't take it to seriously. Even if your beliefs are observable as false you have the right to believe them, just ask a pastafarian. If a pastafarian graces us with their presence, I plan on asking him that and other stuff too. Stuff like "how big are your god's balls?"

I believe God gave us our conscience, to help guide us to what is right and wrong.
SecularMerlin
Posts: 6,927
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 8:59:40 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
I believe God gave us our conscience, to help guide us to what is right and wrong.

And why do you believe that? (What and why)
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
janesix
Posts: 8,140
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 9:04:06 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 11/30/2017 8:59:40 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
I believe God gave us our conscience, to help guide us to what is right and wrong.

And why do you believe that? (What and why)

Because of personal religious experience.
SecularMerlin
Posts: 6,927
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 9:31:20 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 11/30/2017 9:04:06 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 8:59:40 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
I believe God gave us our conscience, to help guide us to what is right and wrong.

And why do you believe that? (What and why)

Because of personal religious experience.

Is it too personal to discuss?
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
janesix
Posts: 8,140
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 9:35:43 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 11/30/2017 9:31:20 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:04:06 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 8:59:40 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
I believe God gave us our conscience, to help guide us to what is right and wrong.

And why do you believe that? (What and why)

Because of personal religious experience.

Is it too personal to discuss?

No. I had an experience with God, who gave me a kind of "life review", where he showed me all my faults. I got the impression he is concerned with our moral behavior. As well as our spiritual growth. This experience lasted eight hours. i also learned that revelation is not an external battle, but an internal one,and has to do with spiritual growth.
SecularMerlin
Posts: 6,927
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 9:56:00 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 11/30/2017 9:35:43 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:31:20 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:04:06 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 8:59:40 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
I believe God gave us our conscience, to help guide us to what is right and wrong.

And why do you believe that? (What and why)

Because of personal religious experience.

Is it too personal to discuss?

No. I had an experience with God, who gave me a kind of "life review", where he showed me all my faults. I got the impression he is concerned with our moral behavior. As well as our spiritual growth. This experience lasted eight hours. i also learned that revelation is not an external battle, but an internal one,and has to do with spiritual growth.

First of all which god are we discussing?
Secondly how did you verify god's identity, how do you know it was god?
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
janesix
Posts: 8,140
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 9:58:14 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 11/30/2017 9:56:00 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:35:43 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:31:20 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:04:06 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 8:59:40 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
I believe God gave us our conscience, to help guide us to what is right and wrong.

And why do you believe that? (What and why)

Because of personal religious experience.

Is it too personal to discuss?

No. I had an experience with God, who gave me a kind of "life review", where he showed me all my faults. I got the impression he is concerned with our moral behavior. As well as our spiritual growth. This experience lasted eight hours. i also learned that revelation is not an external battle, but an internal one,and has to do with spiritual growth.

First of all which god are we discussing?

No God of any particular religion.
Secondly how did you verify god's identity, how do you know it was god?

It felt like God. Can I be sure 100 percent is was God and not a hallucination or something? No.
SecularMerlin
Posts: 6,927
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 10:00:02 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 11/30/2017 9:58:14 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:56:00 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:35:43 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:31:20 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:04:06 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 8:59:40 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
I believe God gave us our conscience, to help guide us to what is right and wrong.

And why do you believe that? (What and why)

Because of personal religious experience.

Is it too personal to discuss?

No. I had an experience with God, who gave me a kind of "life review", where he showed me all my faults. I got the impression he is concerned with our moral behavior. As well as our spiritual growth. This experience lasted eight hours. i also learned that revelation is not an external battle, but an internal one,and has to do with spiritual growth.

First of all which god are we discussing?

No God of any particular religion.
Secondly how did you verify god's identity, how do you know it was god?

It felt like God. Can I be sure 100 percent is was God and not a hallucination or something? No.

How did this being communicate with you, did he talk to you?
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
janesix
Posts: 8,140
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 10:02:17 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 11/30/2017 10:00:02 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:58:14 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:56:00 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:35:43 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:31:20 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:04:06 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 8:59:40 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
I believe God gave us our conscience, to help guide us to what is right and wrong.

And why do you believe that? (What and why)

Because of personal religious experience.

Is it too personal to discuss?

No. I had an experience with God, who gave me a kind of "life review", where he showed me all my faults. I got the impression he is concerned with our moral behavior. As well as our spiritual growth. This experience lasted eight hours. i also learned that revelation is not an external battle, but an internal one,and has to do with spiritual growth.

First of all which god are we discussing?

No God of any particular religion.
Secondly how did you verify god's identity, how do you know it was god?

It felt like God. Can I be sure 100 percent is was God and not a hallucination or something? No.

How did this being communicate with you, did he talk to you?

Yes, a little, but it was mostly "felt" in a way I can't explain.
Philosophy101
Posts: 2,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 10:11:50 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 11/30/2017 10:02:17 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:00:02 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:58:14 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:56:00 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:35:43 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:31:20 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:04:06 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 8:59:40 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
I believe God gave us our conscience, to help guide us to what is right and wrong.

And why do you believe that? (What and why)

Because of personal religious experience.

Is it too personal to discuss?

No. I had an experience with God, who gave me a kind of "life review", where he showed me all my faults. I got the impression he is concerned with our moral behavior. As well as our spiritual growth. This experience lasted eight hours. i also learned that revelation is not an external battle, but an internal one,and has to do with spiritual growth.

First of all which god are we discussing?

No God of any particular religion.
Secondly how did you verify god's identity, how do you know it was god?

It felt like God. Can I be sure 100 percent is was God and not a hallucination or something? No.

How did this being communicate with you, did he talk to you?

Yes, a little, but it was mostly "felt" in a way I can't explain.

God came to me too, and like you said I"m not sure if it is just a voice in my head or real, but he has been working with me to overcome one of my faults. He is not always with me, but comes and goes. I feel he is like a shepherd guiding all of us lost sheep into harmony with the universe, so that our souls may be pure by the time we leave this earth.
janesix
Posts: 8,140
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 10:13:37 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 11/30/2017 10:11:50 PM, Philosophy101 wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:02:17 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:00:02 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:58:14 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:56:00 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:35:43 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:31:20 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:04:06 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 8:59:40 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
I believe God gave us our conscience, to help guide us to what is right and wrong.

And why do you believe that? (What and why)

Because of personal religious experience.

Is it too personal to discuss?

No. I had an experience with God, who gave me a kind of "life review", where he showed me all my faults. I got the impression he is concerned with our moral behavior. As well as our spiritual growth. This experience lasted eight hours. i also learned that revelation is not an external battle, but an internal one,and has to do with spiritual growth.

First of all which god are we discussing?

No God of any particular religion.
Secondly how did you verify god's identity, how do you know it was god?

It felt like God. Can I be sure 100 percent is was God and not a hallucination or something? No.

How did this being communicate with you, did he talk to you?

Yes, a little, but it was mostly "felt" in a way I can't explain.

God came to me too, and like you said I"m not sure if it is just a voice in my head or real, but he has been working with me to overcome one of my faults. He is not always with me, but comes and goes. I feel he is like a shepherd guiding all of us lost sheep into harmony with the universe, so that our souls may be pure by the time we leave this earth.

That's the way it feels to me too, your last sentence.
SecularMerlin
Posts: 6,927
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 10:17:59 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 11/30/2017 10:02:17 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:00:02 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:58:14 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:56:00 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:35:43 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:31:20 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:04:06 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 8:59:40 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
I believe God gave us our conscience, to help guide us to what is right and wrong.

And why do you believe that? (What and why)

Because of personal religious experience.

Is it too personal to discuss?

No. I had an experience with God, who gave me a kind of "life review", where he showed me all my faults. I got the impression he is concerned with our moral behavior. As well as our spiritual growth. This experience lasted eight hours. i also learned that revelation is not an external battle, but an internal one,and has to do with spiritual growth.

First of all which god are we discussing?

No God of any particular religion.
Secondly how did you verify god's identity, how do you know it was god?

It felt like God. Can I be sure 100 percent is was God and not a hallucination or something? No.

How did this being communicate with you, did he talk to you?

Yes, a little, but it was mostly "felt" in a way I can't explain.
You say god spoke to you. Do you mean that you heard a voice audibly?
You also said that revelation is an international matter, and yet you've made the claim that your belief stems from an external force (god). Can you reconcile those two ideas for me?
And also you claimed that it was "no God of any particular religion". Now did it specifically claim nondenominational status or do you mean it just never gave evidence of which specific deity it in fact was?
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
janesix
Posts: 8,140
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 10:24:00 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 11/30/2017 10:17:59 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:02:17 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:00:02 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:58:14 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:56:00 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:35:43 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:31:20 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:04:06 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 8:59:40 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
I believe God gave us our conscience, to help guide us to what is right and wrong.

And why do you believe that? (What and why)

Because of personal religious experience.

Is it too personal to discuss?

No. I had an experience with God, who gave me a kind of "life review", where he showed me all my faults. I got the impression he is concerned with our moral behavior. As well as our spiritual growth. This experience lasted eight hours. i also learned that revelation is not an external battle, but an internal one,and has to do with spiritual growth.

First of all which god are we discussing?

No God of any particular religion.
Secondly how did you verify god's identity, how do you know it was god?

It felt like God. Can I be sure 100 percent is was God and not a hallucination or something? No.

How did this being communicate with you, did he talk to you?

Yes, a little, but it was mostly "felt" in a way I can't explain.
You say god spoke to you. Do you mean that you heard a voice audibly?

Audibly, and in my head.
You also said that revelation is an international matter, and yet you've made the claim that your belief stems from an external force (god). Can you reconcile those two ideas for me?

I said revelation is an INTERNAL battle. Revelation from the Bible is just an interpretation of the internal battle we face, between our own good and evil aspects.

And also you claimed that it was "no God of any particular religion". Now did it specifically claim nondenominational status or do you mean it just never gave evidence of which specific deity it in fact was?

There was no indication.
SecularMerlin
Posts: 6,927
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 10:30:43 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 11/30/2017 10:11:50 PM, Philosophy101 wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:02:17 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:00:02 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:58:14 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:56:00 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:35:43 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:31:20 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:04:06 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 8:59:40 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
I believe God gave us our conscience, to help guide us to what is right and wrong.

And why do you believe that? (What and why)

Because of personal religious experience.

Is it too personal to discuss?

No. I had an experience with God, who gave me a kind of "life review", where he showed me all my faults. I got the impression he is concerned with our moral behavior. As well as our spiritual growth. This experience lasted eight hours. i also learned that revelation is not an external battle, but an internal one,and has to do with spiritual growth.

First of all which god are we discussing?

No God of any particular religion.
Secondly how did you verify god's identity, how do you know it was god?

It felt like God. Can I be sure 100 percent is was God and not a hallucination or something? No.

How did this being communicate with you, did he talk to you?

Yes, a little, but it was mostly "felt" in a way I can't explain.

God came to me too, and like you said I"m not sure if it is just a voice in my head or real, but he has been working with me to overcome one of my faults. He is not always with me, but comes and goes. I feel he is like a shepherd guiding all of us lost sheep into harmony with the universe, so that our souls may be pure by the time we leave this earth.

Which god do you mean? I don't want to assume that your agreement with janesix's sentiment automatically means the same god is involved.
Also as I asked janesix, did you hear an audible voice?
You also mentioned a soul. I was hoping you could define that term. Different faiths have different ideas about what a soul is and whether we have one automatically or if it must be brought into being by a process of guided spiritual development.
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
SecularMerlin
Posts: 6,927
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 10:33:43 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 11/30/2017 10:24:00 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:17:59 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:02:17 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:00:02 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:58:14 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:56:00 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:35:43 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:31:20 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:04:06 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 8:59:40 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
I believe God gave us our conscience, to help guide us to what is right and wrong.

And why do you believe that? (What and why)

Because of personal religious experience.

Is it too personal to discuss?

No. I had an experience with God, who gave me a kind of "life review", where he showed me all my faults. I got the impression he is concerned with our moral behavior. As well as our spiritual growth. This experience lasted eight hours. i also learned that revelation is not an external battle, but an internal one,and has to do with spiritual growth.

First of all which god are we discussing?

No God of any particular religion.
Secondly how did you verify god's identity, how do you know it was god?

It felt like God. Can I be sure 100 percent is was God and not a hallucination or something? No.

How did this being communicate with you, did he talk to you?

Yes, a little, but it was mostly "felt" in a way I can't explain.
You say god spoke to you. Do you mean that you heard a voice audibly?

Audibly, and in my head.
You also said that revelation is an international matter, and yet you've made the claim that your belief stems from an external force (god). Can you reconcile those two ideas for me?

I said revelation is an INTERNAL battle. Revelation from the Bible is just an interpretation of the internal battle we face, between our own good and evil aspects.

And also you claimed that it was "no God of any particular religion". Now did it specifically claim nondenominational status or do you mean it just never gave evidence of which specific deity it in fact was?

There was no indication.

Before we cover any of your other points you mentioned the bible. Now if you have no reason to think it was the Christian god then why is the bible relevant?
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
janesix
Posts: 8,140
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 10:38:43 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 11/30/2017 10:33:43 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:24:00 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:17:59 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:02:17 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:00:02 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:58:14 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:56:00 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:35:43 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:31:20 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:04:06 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 8:59:40 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
I believe God gave us our conscience, to help guide us to what is right and wrong.

And why do you believe that? (What and why)

Because of personal religious experience.

Is it too personal to discuss?

No. I had an experience with God, who gave me a kind of "life review", where he showed me all my faults. I got the impression he is concerned with our moral behavior. As well as our spiritual growth. This experience lasted eight hours. i also learned that revelation is not an external battle, but an internal one,and has to do with spiritual growth.

First of all which god are we discussing?

No God of any particular religion.
Secondly how did you verify god's identity, how do you know it was god?

It felt like God. Can I be sure 100 percent is was God and not a hallucination or something? No.

How did this being communicate with you, did he talk to you?

Yes, a little, but it was mostly "felt" in a way I can't explain.
You say god spoke to you. Do you mean that you heard a voice audibly?

Audibly, and in my head.
You also said that revelation is an international matter, and yet you've made the claim that your belief stems from an external force (god). Can you reconcile those two ideas for me?

I said revelation is an INTERNAL battle. Revelation from the Bible is just an interpretation of the internal battle we face, between our own good and evil aspects.

And also you claimed that it was "no God of any particular religion". Now did it specifically claim nondenominational status or do you mean it just never gave evidence of which specific deity it in fact was?

There was no indication.

Before we cover any of your other points you mentioned the bible. Now if you have no reason to think it was the Christian god then why is the bible relevant?

Because other ideas were also relevant, such as chakras. This is why I am a syncretist, I believe that many religions have relevance and possibly are divinely inspired. Including Christianity.
Philosophy101
Posts: 2,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 10:45:28 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 11/30/2017 10:30:43 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:11:50 PM, Philosophy101 wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:02:17 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:00:02 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:58:14 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:56:00 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:35:43 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:31:20 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:04:06 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 8:59:40 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
I believe God gave us our conscience, to help guide us to what is right and wrong.

And why do you believe that? (What and why)

Because of personal religious experience.

Is it too personal to discuss?

No. I had an experience with God, who gave me a kind of "life review", where he showed me all my faults. I got the impression he is concerned with our moral behavior. As well as our spiritual growth. This experience lasted eight hours. i also learned that revelation is not an external battle, but an internal one,and has to do with spiritual growth.

First of all which god are we discussing?

No God of any particular religion.
Secondly how did you verify god's identity, how do you know it was god?

It felt like God. Can I be sure 100 percent is was God and not a hallucination or something? No.

How did this being communicate with you, did he talk to you?

Yes, a little, but it was mostly "felt" in a way I can't explain.

God came to me too, and like you said I"m not sure if it is just a voice in my head or real, but he has been working with me to overcome one of my faults. He is not always with me, but comes and goes. I feel he is like a shepherd guiding all of us lost sheep into harmony with the universe, so that our souls may be pure by the time we leave this earth.

Which god do you mean? I don't want to assume that your agreement with janesix's sentiment automatically means the same god is involved.

Not sure, but I think it is a panthiestic God, like the universe talks to us in ways we cannot be certain of.

Also as I asked janesix, did you hear an audible voice?

Yes, and like her, I cannot be certain of whether it truly such a God, or if it is my own mind inventing it. But this entity gave me guidance and cares about my spiritual progress.

You also mentioned a soul.

A soul is that by which we view first hand experience, it stays with us in each of our incarnations and gains traction or failure as we continue on our journey.

I was hoping you could define that term. Different faiths have different ideas about what a soul is and whether we have one automatically or if it must be brought into being by a process of guided spiritual development.
SecularMerlin
Posts: 6,927
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 11:07:52 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 11/30/2017 10:38:43 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:33:43 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:24:00 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:17:59 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:02:17 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:00:02 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:58:14 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:56:00 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:35:43 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:31:20 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:04:06 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 8:59:40 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
I believe God gave us our conscience, to help guide us to what is right and wrong.

And why do you believe that? (What and why)

Because of personal religious experience.

Is it too personal to discuss?

No. I had an experience with God, who gave me a kind of "life review", where he showed me all my faults. I got the impression he is concerned with our moral behavior. As well as our spiritual growth. This experience lasted eight hours. i also learned that revelation is not an external battle, but an internal one,and has to do with spiritual growth.

First of all which god are we discussing?

No God of any particular religion.
Secondly how did you verify god's identity, how do you know it was god?

It felt like God. Can I be sure 100 percent is was God and not a hallucination or something? No.

How did this being communicate with you, did he talk to you?

Yes, a little, but it was mostly "felt" in a way I can't explain.
You say god spoke to you. Do you mean that you heard a voice audibly?

Audibly, and in my head.
You also said that revelation is an international matter, and yet you've made the claim that your belief stems from an external force (god). Can you reconcile those two ideas for me?

I said revelation is an INTERNAL battle. Revelation from the Bible is just an interpretation of the internal battle we face, between our own good and evil aspects.

And also you claimed that it was "no God of any particular religion". Now did it specifically claim nondenominational status or do you mean it just never gave evidence of which specific deity it in fact was?

There was no indication.

Before we cover any of your other points you mentioned the bible. Now if you have no reason to think it was the Christian god then why is the bible relevant?

Because other ideas were also relevant, such as chakras. This is why I am a syncretist, I believe that many religions have relevance and possibly are divinely inspired. Including Christianity.

I observe that most, if not all, religions are when taken as a whole are contradictory to each other and sometimes even internally contradictory. Did god specifically tell you which parts of which religions are relevant? If not how do you recognize this significance?
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
janesix
Posts: 8,140
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 11:16:04 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 11/30/2017 11:07:52 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:38:43 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:33:43 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:24:00 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:17:59 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:02:17 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:00:02 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:58:14 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:56:00 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:35:43 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:31:20 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:04:06 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 8:59:40 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
I believe God gave us our conscience, to help guide us to what is right and wrong.

And why do you believe that? (What and why)

Because of personal religious experience.

Is it too personal to discuss?

No. I had an experience with God, who gave me a kind of "life review", where he showed me all my faults. I got the impression he is concerned with our moral behavior. As well as our spiritual growth. This experience lasted eight hours. i also learned that revelation is not an external battle, but an internal one,and has to do with spiritual growth.

First of all which god are we discussing?

No God of any particular religion.
Secondly how did you verify god's identity, how do you know it was god?

It felt like God. Can I be sure 100 percent is was God and not a hallucination or something? No.

How did this being communicate with you, did he talk to you?

Yes, a little, but it was mostly "felt" in a way I can't explain.
You say god spoke to you. Do you mean that you heard a voice audibly?

Audibly, and in my head.
You also said that revelation is an international matter, and yet you've made the claim that your belief stems from an external force (god). Can you reconcile those two ideas for me?

I said revelation is an INTERNAL battle. Revelation from the Bible is just an interpretation of the internal battle we face, between our own good and evil aspects.

And also you claimed that it was "no God of any particular religion". Now did it specifically claim nondenominational status or do you mean it just never gave evidence of which specific deity it in fact was?

There was no indication.

Before we cover any of your other points you mentioned the bible. Now if you have no reason to think it was the Christian god then why is the bible relevant?

Because other ideas were also relevant, such as chakras. This is why I am a syncretist, I believe that many religions have relevance and possibly are divinely inspired. Including Christianity.

I observe that most, if not all, religions are when taken as a whole are contradictory to each other and sometimes even internally contradictory. Did god specifically tell you which parts of which religions are relevant? If not how do you recognize this significance?

It is hard to explain. I was in a different state of consciousness. I can't explain how I was "shown" that the opening of my chakras was opening the seven seals, and other references to revelation. I experienced revelation, so to speak. There is no way to explain it in words.
SecularMerlin
Posts: 6,927
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 11:17:28 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 11/30/2017 10:45:28 PM, Philosophy101 wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:30:43 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:11:50 PM, Philosophy101 wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:02:17 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:00:02 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:58:14 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:56:00 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:35:43 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:31:20 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:04:06 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 8:59:40 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
I believe God gave us our conscience, to help guide us to what is right and wrong.

And why do you believe that? (What and why)

Because of personal religious experience.

Is it too personal to discuss?

No. I had an experience with God, who gave me a kind of "life review", where he showed me all my faults. I got the impression he is concerned with our moral behavior. As well as our spiritual growth. This experience lasted eight hours. i also learned that revelation is not an external battle, but an internal one,and has to do with spiritual growth.

First of all which god are we discussing?

No God of any particular religion.
Secondly how did you verify god's identity, how do you know it was god?

It felt like God. Can I be sure 100 percent is was God and not a hallucination or something? No.

How did this being communicate with you, did he talk to you?

Yes, a little, but it was mostly "felt" in a way I can't explain.

God came to me too, and like you said I"m not sure if it is just a voice in my head or real, but he has been working with me to overcome one of my faults. He is not always with me, but comes and goes. I feel he is like a shepherd guiding all of us lost sheep into harmony with the universe, so that our souls may be pure by the time we leave this earth.

Which god do you mean? I don't want to assume that your agreement with janesix's sentiment automatically means the same god is involved.

Not sure, but I think it is a panthiestic God, like the universe talks to us in ways we cannot be certain of.

How can you be certain? No nonsequiter implied really how do you know objectively, or even in a probabilistic way if they are ways we cannot be certain of?


Also as I asked janesix, did you hear an audible voice?

Yes, and like her, I cannot be certain of whether it truly such a God, or if it is my own mind inventing it. But this entity gave me guidance and cares about my spiritual progress.

You also mentioned a soul.

A soul is that by which we view first hand experience, it stays with us in each of our incarnations and gains traction or failure as we continue on our journey.

What does the word incarnation mean to you and how did you determine that we have more than one?


I was hoping you could define that term. Different faiths have different ideas about what a soul is and whether we have one automatically or if it must be brought into being by a process of guided spiritual development.

Again must the soul be brought into being by a process of guided spiritual development?
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
SecularMerlin
Posts: 6,927
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 11:21:24 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 11/30/2017 11:16:04 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 11:07:52 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:38:43 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:33:43 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:24:00 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:17:59 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:02:17 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:00:02 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:58:14 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:56:00 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:35:43 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:31:20 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:04:06 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 8:59:40 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
I believe God gave us our conscience, to help guide us to what is right and wrong.

And why do you believe that? (What and why)

Because of personal religious experience.

Is it too personal to discuss?

No. I had an experience with God, who gave me a kind of "life review", where he showed me all my faults. I got the impression he is concerned with our moral behavior. As well as our spiritual growth. This experience lasted eight hours. i also learned that revelation is not an external battle, but an internal one,and has to do with spiritual growth.

First of all which god are we discussing?

No God of any particular religion.
Secondly how did you verify god's identity, how do you know it was god?

It felt like God. Can I be sure 100 percent is was God and not a hallucination or something? No.

How did this being communicate with you, did he talk to you?

Yes, a little, but it was mostly "felt" in a way I can't explain.
You say god spoke to you. Do you mean that you heard a voice audibly?

Audibly, and in my head.
You also said that revelation is an international matter, and yet you've made the claim that your belief stems from an external force (god). Can you reconcile those two ideas for me?

I said revelation is an INTERNAL battle. Revelation from the Bible is just an interpretation of the internal battle we face, between our own good and evil aspects.

And also you claimed that it was "no God of any particular religion". Now did it specifically claim nondenominational status or do you mean it just never gave evidence of which specific deity it in fact was?

There was no indication.

Before we cover any of your other points you mentioned the bible. Now if you have no reason to think it was the Christian god then why is the bible relevant?

Because other ideas were also relevant, such as chakras. This is why I am a syncretist, I believe that many religions have relevance and possibly are divinely inspired. Including Christianity.

I observe that most, if not all, religions are when taken as a whole are contradictory to each other and sometimes even internally contradictory. Did god specifically tell you which parts of which religions are relevant? If not how do you recognize this significance?

It is hard to explain. I was in a different state of consciousness. I can't explain how I was "shown" that the opening of my chakras was opening the seven seals, and other references to revelation. I experienced revelation, so to speak. There is no way to explain it in words.

You say that you where in a different state of consciousness. Do you mean that mind altering substances were involved or was this state brought about in some other fashion, and what fashion might that be?
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
janesix
Posts: 8,140
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 11:34:22 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 11/30/2017 11:21:24 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 11:16:04 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 11:07:52 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:38:43 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:33:43 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:24:00 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:17:59 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:02:17 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:00:02 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:58:14 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:56:00 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:35:43 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:31:20 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:04:06 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 8:59:40 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
I believe God gave us our conscience, to help guide us to what is right and wrong.

And why do you believe that? (What and why)

Because of personal religious experience.

Is it too personal to discuss?

No. I had an experience with God, who gave me a kind of "life review", where he showed me all my faults. I got the impression he is concerned with our moral behavior. As well as our spiritual growth. This experience lasted eight hours. i also learned that revelation is not an external battle, but an internal one,and has to do with spiritual growth.

First of all which god are we discussing?

No God of any particular religion.
Secondly how did you verify god's identity, how do you know it was god?

It felt like God. Can I be sure 100 percent is was God and not a hallucination or something? No.

How did this being communicate with you, did he talk to you?

Yes, a little, but it was mostly "felt" in a way I can't explain.
You say god spoke to you. Do you mean that you heard a voice audibly?

Audibly, and in my head.
You also said that revelation is an international matter, and yet you've made the claim that your belief stems from an external force (god). Can you reconcile those two ideas for me?

I said revelation is an INTERNAL battle. Revelation from the Bible is just an interpretation of the internal battle we face, between our own good and evil aspects.

And also you claimed that it was "no God of any particular religion". Now did it specifically claim nondenominational status or do you mean it just never gave evidence of which specific deity it in fact was?

There was no indication.

Before we cover any of your other points you mentioned the bible. Now if you have no reason to think it was the Christian god then why is the bible relevant?

Because other ideas were also relevant, such as chakras. This is why I am a syncretist, I believe that many religions have relevance and possibly are divinely inspired. Including Christianity.

I observe that most, if not all, religions are when taken as a whole are contradictory to each other and sometimes even internally contradictory. Did god specifically tell you which parts of which religions are relevant? If not how do you recognize this significance?

It is hard to explain. I was in a different state of consciousness. I can't explain how I was "shown" that the opening of my chakras was opening the seven seals, and other references to revelation. I experienced revelation, so to speak. There is no way to explain it in words.

You say that you where in a different state of consciousness. Do you mean that mind altering substances were involved or was this state brought about in some other fashion, and what fashion might that be?
God brought on this state of consciousness. At least that is how it felt. I was in my normal state for beginning meditation, but I hadn't started meditating yet. It came over me. But I knew something was going to happen that night. A feeling.
Philosophy101
Posts: 2,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 11:41:42 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 11/30/2017 11:17:28 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:45:28 PM, Philosophy101 wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:30:43 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:11:50 PM, Philosophy101 wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:02:17 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:00:02 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:58:14 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:56:00 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:35:43 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:31:20 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:04:06 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 8:59:40 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
I believe God gave us our conscience, to help guide us to what is right and wrong.

And why do you believe that? (What and why)

Because of personal religious experience.

Is it too personal to discuss?

No. I had an experience with God, who gave me a kind of "life review", where he showed me all my faults. I got the impression he is concerned with our moral behavior. As well as our spiritual growth. This experience lasted eight hours. i also learned that revelation is not an external battle, but an internal one,and has to do with spiritual growth.

First of all which god are we discussing?

No God of any particular religion.
Secondly how did you verify god's identity, how do you know it was god?

It felt like God. Can I be sure 100 percent is was God and not a hallucination or something? No.

How did this being communicate with you, did he talk to you?

Yes, a little, but it was mostly "felt" in a way I can't explain.

God came to me too, and like you said I"m not sure if it is just a voice in my head or real, but he has been working with me to overcome one of my faults. He is not always with me, but comes and goes. I feel he is like a shepherd guiding all of us lost sheep into harmony with the universe, so that our souls may be pure by the time we leave this earth.

Which god do you mean? I don't want to assume that your agreement with janesix's sentiment automatically means the same god is involved.

Not sure, but I think it is a panthiestic God, like the universe talks to us in ways we cannot be certain of.

How can you be certain? No nonsequiter implied really how do you know objectively, or even in a probabilistic way if they are ways we cannot be certain of?

I am not certain, but as part of my life experience he came to me and offered me hope. Perhaps that is my own mind at work, perhaps not. I don"t think this God actually changes physical reality (though maybe he does), still he will reveal himself to people who are open to the experience. Maybe it is just a voice in my head, but maybe it is more than that and perhaps the universe is not just cold and indifferent.

Also as I asked janesix, did you hear an audible voice?

Yes, and like her, I cannot be certain of whether it truly such a God, or if it is my own mind inventing it. But this entity gave me guidance and cares about my spiritual progress.

You also mentioned a soul.

A soul is that by which we view first hand experience, it stays with us in each of our incarnations and gains traction or failure as we continue on our journey.

What does the word incarnation mean to you and how did you determine that we have more than one?


I was hoping you could define that term. Different faiths have different ideas about what a soul is and whether we have one automatically or if it must be brought into being by a process of guided spiritual development.

Again must the soul be brought into being by a process of guided spiritual development?
SecularMerlin
Posts: 6,927
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 11:47:12 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 11/30/2017 11:34:22 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 11:21:24 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 11:16:04 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 11:07:52 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:38:43 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:33:43 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:24:00 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:17:59 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:02:17 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:00:02 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:58:14 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:56:00 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:35:43 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:31:20 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:04:06 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 8:59:40 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
I believe God gave us our conscience, to help guide us to what is right and wrong.

And why do you believe that? (What and why)

Because of personal religious experience.

Is it too personal to discuss?

No. I had an experience with God, who gave me a kind of "life review", where he showed me all my faults. I got the impression he is concerned with our moral behavior. As well as our spiritual growth. This experience lasted eight hours. i also learned that revelation is not an external battle, but an internal one,and has to do with spiritual growth.

First of all which god are we discussing?

No God of any particular religion.
Secondly how did you verify god's identity, how do you know it was god?

It felt like God. Can I be sure 100 percent is was God and not a hallucination or something? No.

How did this being communicate with you, did he talk to you?

Yes, a little, but it was mostly "felt" in a way I can't explain.
You say god spoke to you. Do you mean that you heard a voice audibly?

Audibly, and in my head.
You also said that revelation is an international matter, and yet you've made the claim that your belief stems from an external force (god). Can you reconcile those two ideas for me?

I said revelation is an INTERNAL battle. Revelation from the Bible is just an interpretation of the internal battle we face, between our own good and evil aspects.

And also you claimed that it was "no God of any particular religion". Now did it specifically claim nondenominational status or do you mean it just never gave evidence of which specific deity it in fact was?

There was no indication.

Before we cover any of your other points you mentioned the bible. Now if you have no reason to think it was the Christian god then why is the bible relevant?

Because other ideas were also relevant, such as chakras. This is why I am a syncretist, I believe that many religions have relevance and possibly are divinely inspired. Including Christianity.

I observe that most, if not all, religions are when taken as a whole are contradictory to each other and sometimes even internally contradictory. Did god specifically tell you which parts of which religions are relevant? If not how do you recognize this significance?

It is hard to explain. I was in a different state of consciousness. I can't explain how I was "shown" that the opening of my chakras was opening the seven seals, and other references to revelation. I experienced revelation, so to speak. There is no way to explain it in words.

You say that you where in a different state of consciousness. Do you mean that mind altering substances were involved or was this state brought about in some other fashion, and what fashion might that be?
God brought on this state of consciousness. At least that is how it felt. I was in my normal state for beginning meditation, but I hadn't started meditating yet. It came over me. But I knew something was going to happen that night. A feeling.

I was wondering if you could watch the following video in its entirety and then let me know what you think. Sorry to give you homework, but it seems significant to our conversation.
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
SecularMerlin
Posts: 6,927
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 11:48:23 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
https://youtu.be...
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
Nac
Posts: 404
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 11:53:17 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 11/28/2017 11:45:33 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
Be ready to have your beliefs question and don't hesitate to question the beliefs of others. More importantly have an open mind and don't take it to seriously. Even if your beliefs are observable as false you have the right to believe them, just ask a pastafarian. If a pastafarian graces us with their presence, I plan on asking him that and other stuff too. Stuff like "how big are your god's balls?"

*glare*
SecularMerlin
Posts: 6,927
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 11:58:13 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 11/30/2017 11:41:42 PM, Philosophy101 wrote:
At 11/30/2017 11:17:28 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:45:28 PM, Philosophy101 wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:30:43 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:11:50 PM, Philosophy101 wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:02:17 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:00:02 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:58:14 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:56:00 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:35:43 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:31:20 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:04:06 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 8:59:40 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
I believe God gave us our conscience, to help guide us to what is right and wrong.

And why do you believe that? (What and why)

Because of personal religious experience.

Is it too personal to discuss?

No. I had an experience with God, who gave me a kind of "life review", where he showed me all my faults. I got the impression he is concerned with our moral behavior. As well as our spiritual growth. This experience lasted eight hours. i also learned that revelation is not an external battle, but an internal one,and has to do with spiritual growth.

First of all which god are we discussing?

No God of any particular religion.
Secondly how did you verify god's identity, how do you know it was god?

It felt like God. Can I be sure 100 percent is was God and not a hallucination or something? No.

How did this being communicate with you, did he talk to you?

Yes, a little, but it was mostly "felt" in a way I can't explain.

God came to me too, and like you said I"m not sure if it is just a voice in my head or real, but he has been working with me to overcome one of my faults. He is not always with me, but comes and goes. I feel he is like a shepherd guiding all of us lost sheep into harmony with the universe, so that our souls may be pure by the time we leave this earth.

Which god do you mean? I don't want to assume that your agreement with janesix's sentiment automatically means the same god is involved.

Not sure, but I think it is a panthiestic God, like the universe talks to us in ways we cannot be certain of.

How can you be certain? No nonsequiter implied really how do you know objectively, or even in a probabilistic way if they are ways we cannot be certain of?

I am not certain, but as part of my life experience he came to me and offered me hope. Perhaps that is my own mind at work, perhaps not. I don"t think this God actually changes physical reality (though maybe he does), still he will reveal himself to people who are open to the experience. Maybe it is just a voice in my head, but maybe it is more than that and perhaps the universe is not just cold and indifferent.


Okay then we have two proposition.
1. It was just an imaginary voice in your head.
2. The universe is not cold uncaring or indifferent.

Now before I say anything else these are far from the only proposition that can be justified based on a possibly imaginary voice in your head. But for the sake of argument let's say we've narrowed it down to just these two choices. In that case how do we determine which is true, or at least most probably true?
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
SecularMerlin
Posts: 6,927
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2017 11:59:05 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 11/30/2017 11:53:17 PM, Nac wrote:
At 11/28/2017 11:45:33 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
Be ready to have your beliefs question and don't hesitate to question the beliefs of others. More importantly have an open mind and don't take it to seriously. Even if your beliefs are observable as false you have the right to believe them, just ask a pastafarian. If a pastafarian graces us with their presence, I plan on asking him that and other stuff too. Stuff like "how big are your god's balls?"

*glare*

Do you bite your thumb at me sir?
The only true wisdom lies in knowing that you know nothing.
-Socrates

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
-Lewis Carrol
janesix
Posts: 8,140
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2017 12:12:47 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 11/30/2017 11:41:42 PM, Philosophy101 wrote:
At 11/30/2017 11:17:28 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:45:28 PM, Philosophy101 wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:30:43 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:11:50 PM, Philosophy101 wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:02:17 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 10:00:02 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:58:14 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:56:00 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:35:43 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:31:20 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
At 11/30/2017 9:04:06 PM, janesix wrote:
At 11/30/2017 8:59:40 PM, SecularMerlin wrote:
I believe God gave us our conscience, to help guide us to what is right and wrong.

And why do you believe that? (What and why)

Because of personal religious experience.

Is it too personal to discuss?

No. I had an experience with God, who gave me a kind of "life review", where he showed me all my faults. I got the impression he is concerned with our moral behavior. As well as our spiritual growth. This experience lasted eight hours. i also learned that revelation is not an external battle, but an internal one,and has to do with spiritual growth.

First of all which god are we discussing?

No God of any particular religion.
Secondly how did you verify god's identity, how do you know it was god?

It felt like God. Can I be sure 100 percent is was God and not a hallucination or something? No.

How did this being communicate with you, did he talk to you?

Yes, a little, but it was mostly "felt" in a way I can't explain.

God came to me too, and like you said I"m not sure if it is just a voice in my head or real, but he has been working with me to overcome one of my faults. He is not always with me, but comes and goes. I feel he is like a shepherd guiding all of us lost sheep into harmony with the universe, so that our souls may be pure by the time we leave this earth.

Which god do you mean? I don't want to assume that your agreement with janesix's sentiment automatically means the same god is involved.

Not sure, but I think it is a panthiestic God, like the universe talks to us in ways we cannot be certain of.

How can you be certain? No nonsequiter implied really how do you know objectively, or even in a probabilistic way if they are ways we cannot be certain of?

I am not certain, but as part of my life experience he came to me and offered me hope. Perhaps that is my own mind at work, perhaps not. I don"t think this God actually changes physical reality (though maybe he does), still he will reveal himself to people who are open to the experience. Maybe it is just a voice in my head, but maybe it is more than that and perhaps the universe is not just cold and indifferent.

Did this happen recently? And can you describe your experience?

Also as I asked janesix, did you hear an audible voice?

Yes, and like her, I cannot be certain of whether it truly such a God, or if it is my own mind inventing it. But this entity gave me guidance and cares about my spiritual progress.

You also mentioned a soul.

A soul is that by which we view first hand experience, it stays with us in each of our incarnations and gains traction or failure as we continue on our journey.

What does the word incarnation mean to you and how did you determine that we have more than one?


I was hoping you could define that term. Different faiths have different ideas about what a soul is and whether we have one automatically or if it must be brought into being by a process of guided spiritual development.

Again must the soul be brought into being by a process of guided spiritual development?