Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Knowledge is a TOOL

000ike
Posts: 10,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 1:28:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
We must not forget that knowledge is a TOOL to the greater object, which is truth. In having a philosophical discussion with individuals that are not well-versed in the terminology and elaborate jargon of a certain philosophy, it is neither an argument nor a refutation of anything to claim ignorance to the opponent, and thus refuse to argue. Philosophy is grounded in logic and reason, and where an individual has the logical faculties to understand it, his opinions on the matter have worth.

There are people here that take their knowledge of a certain field and use it as intellectual bravado to demean and repress. However, knowedge is meaningless if it isn't both used and shared. Philosophy applies to all individuals of the world on matters of what the world is and how it should be run, yet the irony is that those who call themselves novice philosophers use this state as a sort of exclusive and superior group.

Thoughts?
"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance"
- Derek Bok

"A sect or party is an elegant incognito devised to save a man from the vexation of thinking"
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
FourTrouble
Posts: 8,934
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 1:46:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I always thought that was the central point behind Plato's Allegory of the Cave -- the prisoner, like the philosopher, must return to the cave and share his discoveries. I agree, without the struggle to communicate and share knowledge, the search for meaning is itself meaningless. That said, wouldn't you say the struggle to communicate is itself impossible? All attempts to understand someone else are mediated by language, and as such, always understood through a web of misunderstanding.
: At 7/7/2014 5:18:40 PM, Beginner wrote:
: Why are you not voting FT who clearly wins with FT?
sadolite
Posts: 5,648
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 3:21:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Knowledge is most effectively used in this scenario: "Know" a persons weakness and use it against them. This will get you further in life than anything else. But at the same time you must poses a moral compass in order to keep it in check.
FREEDO
Posts: 20,945
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2012 2:16:54 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Verily, verily, oh mama pasta, I stand at the --not golden but more like well polished bronze-- gates upon Mt. DDO and declare with a triumphant and consciousness molesting noise!!!:

KNOWLEDGE IS A TOY
WORK IT LIKE A FUCKING SEE-SAW BABY
fnord
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2012 6:06:54 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/25/2012 1:28:55 PM, 000ike wrote:
We must not forget that knowledge is a TOOL to the greater object, which is truth.

No.

Knowledge is a tool towards Satisfaction!

The only goal that's sensible to pursue!
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2012 10:04:26 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/25/2012 1:28:55 PM, 000ike wrote:
We must not forget that knowledge is a TOOL

Yeah, Knowledge is a total douche-bag.

F knowledge.
Oryus
Posts: 8,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2012 7:45:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/25/2012 1:28:55 PM, 000ike wrote:
We must not forget that knowledge is a TOOL to the greater object, which is truth. In having a philosophical discussion with individuals that are not well-versed in the terminology and elaborate jargon of a certain philosophy, it is neither an argument nor a refutation of anything to claim ignorance to the opponent, and thus refuse to argue. Philosophy is grounded in logic and reason, and where an individual has the logical faculties to understand it, his opinions on the matter have worth.

There are people here that take their knowledge of a certain field and use it as intellectual bravado to demean and repress. However, knowedge is meaningless if it isn't both used and shared. Philosophy applies to all individuals of the world on matters of what the world is and how it should be run, yet the irony is that those who call themselves novice philosophers use this state as a sort of exclusive and superior group.

Thoughts?

It seems like someone who is unwilling to argue would know (or should know) that they are not giving an argument or refutation. An expression of impatience with ignorance and/or an unwillingness to argue shouldn't be viewed as an honest attempt at argument or refutation by either person involved. It should be viewed as an expression of impatience with ignorance and/or an unwillingness to argue. And what's wrong with that? There's quite a bit of arguing which goes on here. Why, in the face of it, is it unacceptable to do what you have described? For instance, I use this site for fun. It's a chore to argue about things I don't feel like arguing about. And I don't like chores.

None of us owe any of us anything- including arguments and/or refutation.

Is the anti-ought ike implying we should refute arguments even when we don't feel like it for the sake of philosophy? ;)
My DDO game: http://www.debate.org...
Let's. Make. It. Happen.

YYW for prez
At 5/1/2013 11:15:33 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Crinack is the wall between our understanding and our intuition, it is the wild virtue lost in stifling, rigid forms of communication. It is the wall on which every poet beats, sometimes for an entire lifetime, in the hopes of opening one small crack. Crinack is not a poem. It is the poem.

I am not a witch.
Oryus
Posts: 8,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2012 7:54:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/26/2012 7:51:15 PM, FREEDO wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

He hasn't ever been on in 3 years. I don't get what you have against him, man.

3 years???? What a prick.
My DDO game: http://www.debate.org...
Let's. Make. It. Happen.

YYW for prez
At 5/1/2013 11:15:33 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Crinack is the wall between our understanding and our intuition, it is the wild virtue lost in stifling, rigid forms of communication. It is the wall on which every poet beats, sometimes for an entire lifetime, in the hopes of opening one small crack. Crinack is not a poem. It is the poem.

I am not a witch.
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2012 7:55:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/26/2012 7:51:15 PM, FREEDO wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

He hasn't ever been on in 3 years. I don't get what you have against him, man.

we should be like a double act or something.