Jump to topic:

Assassination, kill 1, save 10000.

KingVeridical
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2016 10:59:04 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
If you could kill one child just by pulling a trigger, knowing that doing so would save 10,000 innocent children from dying by the childs hands, knowing that if you do not kill the child it will kill those 10,000 innocent children for no reason, knowing there is no way to stop the child and you only have two options, kill the child, or let it live, what would you do?
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2016 11:23:21 PM
At 12/29/2016 10:59:04 PM, KingVeridical wrote:
If you could kill one child just by pulling a trigger, knowing that doing so would save 10,000 innocent children from dying by the childs hands, knowing that if you do not kill the child it will kill those 10,000 innocent children for no reason, knowing there is no way to stop the child and you only have two options, kill the child, or let it live, what would you do?

Is the child currently intentionally threatening the other children or is this some sci-fi thing like going back and killing Hitler?
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2016 11:38:51 PM
At 12/29/2016 11:23:21 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Is the child currently intentionally threatening the other children or is this some sci-fi thing like going back and killing Hitler?

Just answer the question as posed, G.

But the scenario is a toddler has a nuclear device strapped to them and is crawling towards the door of a room packed with 10,000 other kids. If the kid makes to the door the bomb will go off, killing everyone inside. You are 2000 yards away, too far to get to the kid before she reaches the door, but fortuately you were trained as a sniper and have a high-powered rifle to hand.

Just the sort of situation I find myself in most days.

What do you do?
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2016 11:39:05 PM

I think this question has been asked before.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2016 11:39:18 PM

Would you rape a child to end all child rape?
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
KingVeridical
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2016 11:41:47 PM

For the sake of argument lets say that the child has been covert in making the plans to commit the crime and you know of its plans only because the child told you it was going to commit the crime previously and proved to you that it was not lying yet left you with no proof to go to the authorities with so you only have the two options, kill, or let others die.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2016 5:35:26 AM
At 12/29/2016 11:41:47 PM, KingVeridical wrote:
For the sake of argument lets say that the child has been covert in making the plans to commit the crime and you know of its plans only because the child told you it was going to commit the crime previously and proved to you that it was not lying yet left you with no proof to go to the authorities with so you only have the two options, kill, or let others die.

So a kid tells me she is going to kill 10,000 other kids and not only am I the only one gulllible enough to believe her but I decide to follow her around with a rifle because that is the only way I can think of stopping her.

Hmm... tricky one... I think it depends what colour the trolley is.
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2016 11:50:24 AM
At 12/29/2016 11:39:18 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

Deontology meet consequentialism.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2017 1:47:34 AM

That's a good question. Personally, no. We have to wonder if God isn't operating under this logic though. God must have a morally sufficient reason for permitting child rape, no?
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2017 2:45:43 AM
At 1/1/2017 1:47:34 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

That's a good question. Personally, no. We have to wonder if God isn't operating under this logic though. God must have a morally sufficient reason for permitting child rape, no?

I think 'Not existing' counts as a morally sufficient reason.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2017 9:06:02 AM
This is pretty similar to the trolley problem but it involves children and more people.

Personally if I don't know the 1 then I'd save the 10000.
Baby, you're the highlight of my lowlife
David_Debates
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2017 7:14:13 AM

No, because how do I know that the child will not have a change of mind? Am I omnipotent?
If so, this situation is illogical and thus I won't answer.
If not, then I wouldn't because I should not and don't have the power to somehow save lives by killing others. Plus, I'm not morally responsible for another person's sin, but I would be responsible for murder if I were to kill the one child.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2017 11:49:59 AM
At 1/3/2017 7:14:13 AM, David_Debates wrote:

No, because how do I know that the child will not have a change of mind? Am I omnipotent?
If not, then I wouldn't because I should not and don't have the power to somehow save lives by killing others. Plus, I'm not morally responsible for another person's sin, but I would be responsible for murder if I were to kill the one child.

Well, you're honest anyway. I wonder why you are worried about being 'responsible for murder', tho'. They don't put a sniper who takes out a terrorist on death row, so perhaps it's your soul you are worried about?

You needn't worry on that score - I am sure that when you go to heaven with your soul untarnished with the sin of murdering the one child God and other angels will not begrudge the 10,000 children you selfishly sacrificed to get there.
David_Debates
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2017 4:42:03 PM
At 1/3/2017 11:49:59 AM, keithprosser wrote:
At 1/3/2017 7:14:13 AM, David_Debates wrote:

Well, you're honest anyway. I wonder why you are worried about being 'responsible for murder', tho'. They don't put a sniper who takes out a terrorist on death row, so perhaps it's your soul you are worried about?

I'd rather not play a part in murder.

You needn't worry on that score - I am sure that when you go to heaven with your soul untarnished with the sin of murdering the one child God and other angels will not begrudge the 10,000 children you selfishly sacrificed to get there.

But I would not have killed those 10,000 children. Not only that, but this entire hypothetical is illogical.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2017 6:25:49 PM
At 1/3/2017 4:42:03 PM, David_Debates wrote:
But I would not have killed those 10,000 children. Not only that, but this entire hypothetical is illogical.

I think its a badly stated problem because its so unrealistic, but not in the strictest sense 'illogical'. If you want a more realistic version - one you might actually face one day - then imagine you are the passenger in car and the driver has a heart-attack and loses control at 90 mph. You can reach the steering wheel but nothing else to control the car.

In a second or two if you do nothing you will hit a crowd of people and kill a dozen people, but you can still swerve and just hit one person. Choose.
ANON_TacTiX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2017 4:46:40 PM

Kill the child, easy. Simple math. 1 is far less than 10,000, and there aren't really any moral issues to take into account.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
Mharman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2017 2:34:58 PM
At 1/1/2017 1:47:34 AM, Benshapiro wrote:

He doesn't allow rape whatsoever.
With Liberty and Justice for all!
GrimlyF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2017 8:26:51 PM
The thread reeks of pre-determinism. We cannot know the future so the child lives. If we could know the future then it is set and cannot be changed. Remember the paradox.
Child lives=dead children. Child dies= no dead children= no reason to kill child.
HEALTH WARNING!. Contact with WYLTED can damage your brain.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2017 10:10:48 AM
At 12/29/2016 11:41:47 PM, KingVeridical wrote:

The 10,000 kids are not even alive.
Let him /her live.