Opioid crisis inaction & US life expectancy

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2017 3:59:42 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
http://www.bbc.com...

For two years, the life expectancy in the United States of America has dropped. The blame for this has been placed on the opioid crisis caused by the overprescription of painkillers. In 2016, opioid overdoses killed 42,249 people in the United States.

The Obama administration failed to adequately see the problem coming, and its inaction may have turned off affected areas from his party. Donald Trump, who created an opioid commission after pitching change to voters, has been resistant to use federal funds for addressing opioid crisis.

As American citizens die from their country's worst public health issue since the AIDS epidemic, it doesn't seem party establishments are intent on giving much attention to the problem. This will definitely have a political effect in the upcoming years.

The midterm year starts in less than two weeks. I think we'll be seeing a lot of talk in the midwest over health care and opioids, and I predict a leftward shift in the Democratic Party on healthcare to make up for their loss of those people in previous elections.
I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon.

So much has gone, and little is new.

DDO Risk King
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2017 4:15:26 AM
At 12/23/2017 3:59:42 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

For two years, the life expectancy in the United States of America has dropped. The blame for this has been placed on the opioid crisis caused by the overprescription of painkillers. In 2016, opioid overdoses killed 42,249 people in the United States.

The Obama administration failed to adequately see the problem coming, and its inaction may have turned off affected areas from his party. Donald Trump, who created an opioid commission after pitching change to voters, has been resistant to use federal funds for addressing opioid crisis.

As American citizens die from their country's worst public health issue since the AIDS epidemic, it doesn't seem party establishments are intent on giving much attention to the problem. This will definitely have a political effect in the upcoming years.

The midterm year starts in less than two weeks. I think we'll be seeing a lot of talk in the midwest over health care and opioids, and I predict a leftward shift in the Democratic Party on healthcare to make up for their loss of those people in previous elections.

Isn't funding for these things a congressional issue?
Crying about how much the Trump wall is going to cost is like a heroin addict complaining about how much the needles cost.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2017 4:33:30 AM
At 12/23/2017 4:15:26 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

It would have been good for Trump to either press Congress for more funding or to declare emergency in a way that commits more than $57,000 to the problem. So, not entirely, because he could have opened it to more funds than he did.

DDO Risk King
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2017 4:52:01 AM
At 12/23/2017 4:33:30 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

It would have been good for Trump to either press Congress for more funding or to declare emergency in a way that commits more than $57,000 to the problem. So, not entirely, because he could have opened it to more funds than he did.

He barely got his tax bill passed.
Crying about how much the Trump wall is going to cost is like a heroin addict complaining about how much the needles cost.
Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2017 5:18:04 AM
The evidence would seem to suggest that the main drug behind the opioid crisis is fentanyl, a painkiller which in some mixtures can be 100x more potent than street heroin. The infamous "China White" is not actually a kind of heroin but rather a kind of fentanyl. Though it often is proscribed by doctors to some people who are in serious and chronic pain, most abusers of fentanyl do not have prescriptions for such. There is a vast black market in the United States for fentanyl, existing mainly on the Dark Web. The danger of fentanyl is that since it's so much stronger than heroin, it's so much easier to overdose. Overdosing on fentanyl can cause breathing to slow to the point where you die from lack of oxygen.
In light of this, the solution is probably not be to crack down on prescription medicines but rather to go after drug dealers as we've always done in these kinds of situations.
The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.
-Blaise Pascal
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2017 2:32:53 PM
At 12/23/2017 5:18:04 AM, Swagnarok wrote:
The evidence would seem to suggest that the main drug behind the opioid crisis is fentanyl, a painkiller which in some mixtures can be 100x more potent than street heroin. The infamous "China White" is not actually a kind of heroin but rather a kind of fentanyl. Though it often is proscribed by doctors to some people who are in serious and chronic pain, most abusers of fentanyl do not have prescriptions for such. There is a vast black market in the United States for fentanyl, existing mainly on the Dark Web. The danger of fentanyl is that since it's so much stronger than heroin, it's so much easier to overdose. Overdosing on fentanyl can cause breathing to slow to the point where you die from lack of oxygen.
In light of this, the solution is probably not be to crack down on prescription medicines but rather to go after drug dealers as we've always done in these kinds of situations.

It almost always starts with prescription drugs. If they weren't overprescribed, or doctors used alternative painkillers, there wouldn't be a problem.

DDO Risk King
Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2017 4:44:01 PM
At 12/23/2017 2:32:53 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

It almost always starts with prescription drugs. If they weren't overprescribed, or doctors used alternative painkillers, there wouldn't be a problem.

https://www.theguardian.com...
The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.
-Blaise Pascal
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2017 6:36:18 PM

What starts with prescription drugs?
I am pretty certain that doctors do not prescribe opioids to teens so they can snort them in lines.

How many of these deaths are people who are in chronic pain? How many of these people are from people who were prescribed them for acute pain? How many of these deaths were due to not being prescribed this at all?

I also have a hard time believing that 42,000 deaths can lower the life expectancy to such a degree to be noteworthy. I think this issue is over-hyped and, while significant, is not a huge deal.
At least the noble sheep provides us warm sweaters. All your hides would provide are coward pants. - Dick Solomon

"I call albatross!" - seventhprofessor
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2017 12:05:44 AM
I can't guarantee that no deaths were the result of fenty that was prescribed by a doctor and the drug was taken by the patient it was prescribed to at the proper dose, but I would bet some money on it.
"The Wall" has not been completed, so we can assume that truckloads of it are arriving from Mexico every day. While you may not think that Trump has thrown enough money at this problem, he is a good business man and he knows what he is doing.
If the supply of Fenty were stopped, there would still be as many Americans who wanted to get high and if they can't get Fenty, they will just buy heroin as a substitute.
This Heroin will probably be from afghanistsan and much of this money that would go to to fund the Jihad. So if you hear somebody complaining about Fenty it is more likely than not he is a Muslim and what bothers him is that money needed for the Jihad is being diverted to buy Fenty.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2017 2:54:16 PM
Posted: 3 months ago

No adminstration can fix the drug problem in the US. I have seen this going on for as long as your sorry azz has been alive. Move along.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2017 3:55:26 PM
At 12/28/2017 2:54:16 PM, inferno wrote:

No adminstration can fix the drug problem in the US. I have seen this going on for as long as your sorry azz has been alive. Move along.

it's really too complex to fix, with the threat of lawsuits, this scheme to base reimbursement rates on patient satisfaction etc, can you imagine your pay is based on how happy you make a patient? I mean if they don't get what they want will they be happy? It boggles the mind these incredibly stupid ideas that keep popping up.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2017 4:00:36 PM
At 12/28/2017 3:55:26 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

it's really too complex to fix, with the threat of lawsuits, this scheme to base reimbursement rates on patient satisfaction etc, can you imagine your pay is based on how happy you make a patient? I mean if they don't get what they want will they be happy? It boggles the mind these incredibly stupid ideas that keep popping up.

The crack cocaine addiction has resurfaced, and is every bit as bad as it was during the 1980s. Do you remember.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2017 4:02:24 PM
At 12/28/2017 4:00:36 PM, inferno wrote:

The crack cocaine addiction has resurfaced, and is every bit as bad as it was during the 1980s. Do you remember.

I do, but I didn't realize it has made a resurgence, how sad. So much of the "homemade" stuff has poisons added etc
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2017 4:19:07 PM
At 12/28/2017 4:02:24 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

I do, but I didn't realize it has made a resurgence, how sad. So much of the "homemade" stuff has poisons added etc

The pills now are deadlier than regular dope.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2017 4:59:34 PM
At 12/28/2017 4:19:07 PM, inferno wrote:

that's true, I believe a fake fentanyl or some sort is coming out of China (has been) and you never know what they put in their stuff. My wife works at the hospital and some people have recently been fired for trying to steal fentanyl. The "legal' stuff is a bigger problem than the illegal, I think that's what you are getting at and I think that's true. It's more readily available, and if you pull the right scam you get it at no cost to you.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2017 5:40:52 PM
At 12/28/2017 4:59:34 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

that's true, I believe a fake fentanyl or some sort is coming out of China (has been) and you never know what they put in their stuff. My wife works at the hospital and some people have recently been fired for trying to steal fentanyl. The "legal' stuff is a bigger problem than the illegal, I think that's what you are getting at and I think that's true. It's more readily available, and if you pull the right scam you get it at no cost to you.

Yes. They have something called Kratom that they sell here in my state. Its used to help crackheads cut down and eventually withdraw from their addiction.
Its illegal in some states though.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2017 6:27:17 PM
'crack/cocaine has resurfaced"
The way crack works is make the cocaine into a low -cost product that can be sold in the ghetto at a price anyone can afford.
If you are living a life that REALLY sux , and you try crack you might think "OMG where has this been all my life!" , people tend to try it again, and again, and it may not be long before its a habit, which turns into an addiction.
Cocaine comes from Columbia on large private estates where it is grown under the protection of an army of security guards. Coke brings so much money into this poor country that it would be impossible to stop this industry, even if there was a government that was not on the take.
How did this happen? well I don't know for sure, but my guess is at the end of world war 2 Hitler faked his death and escaped to NAZI held Denmark, where he got aboard one of those U-boats that nobody knows what happened to. And went to South America. With him were the gestapo, a very well disciplined and efficient army who were loyal to Hitler and themselves, not their country.
There are rumors of they tried to create a 4th reich down there.
Hitler would not be alive for much longer due to his amphetamine addiction. The gestapo figured out a way to raise the money needed for such a scheme and gave up on the original mission, and settled for survival and prosperity with white supremacy as an auxiliary goal.
The war Hitler started did much to help African Americans. Remaining loyal to their original mission, they used cocaine as a source of revenue, and a way to undo what good their war did for the African Americans.
So the U-boats brought an unlimited supply of cocaine to the U.S. where the retail sales would put many Black men in prison while it made prostitutes of their women.
Do you think Hillary could have thought up a way to fix this problem?
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2017 6:30:21 PM
At 12/23/2017 6:36:18 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

What starts with prescription drugs?
I am pretty certain that doctors do not prescribe opioids to teens so they can snort them in lines.

How many of these deaths are people who are in chronic pain? How many of these people are from people who were prescribed them for acute pain? How many of these deaths were due to not being prescribed this at all?

I also have a hard time believing that 42,000 deaths can lower the life expectancy to such a degree to be noteworthy. I think this issue is over-hyped and, while significant, is not a huge deal.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...

I was discussing Obamacare a little while back and the possible repercussions of repealing it. The statistic of 43,000 people dying annually in its absence came up.

Then someone I was with countered simply with: so what?

43,000/350,000,000 Americans is .0000122% of the population. Meanwhile huge sums of money are being saved, improving the lives of actual millions.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2017 7:08:56 PM
At 12/28/2017 5:40:52 PM, inferno wrote:
At 12/28/2017 4:59:34 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

Yes. They have something called Kratom that they sell here in my state. Its used to help crackheads cut down and eventually withdraw from their addiction.
Its illegal in some states though.

I've actually heard of it, but don't know much about it. This isn't a fight that can ever be won, not really, a safer alternative seems to make sense.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2017 7:14:42 PM
At 12/28/2017 6:27:17 PM, xus00HAY wrote:
'crack/cocaine has resurfaced"
The way crack works is make the cocaine into a low -cost product that can be sold in the ghetto at a price anyone can afford.
If you are living a life that REALLY sux , and you try crack you might think "OMG where has this been all my life!" , people tend to try it again, and again, and it may not be long before its a habit, which turns into an addiction.
Cocaine comes from Columbia on large private estates where it is grown under the protection of an army of security guards. Coke brings so much money into this poor country that it would be impossible to stop this industry, even if there was a government that was not on the take.
How did this happen? well I don't know for sure, but my guess is at the end of world war 2 Hitler faked his death and escaped to NAZI held Denmark, where he got aboard one of those U-boats that nobody knows what happened to. And went to South America. With him were the gestapo, a very well disciplined and efficient army who were loyal to Hitler and themselves, not their country.
There are rumors of they tried to create a 4th reich down there.
Hitler would not be alive for much longer due to his amphetamine addiction. The gestapo figured out a way to raise the money needed for such a scheme and gave up on the original mission, and settled for survival and prosperity with white supremacy as an auxiliary goal.
The war Hitler started did much to help African Americans. Remaining loyal to their original mission, they used cocaine as a source of revenue, and a way to undo what good their war did for the African Americans.
So the U-boats brought an unlimited supply of cocaine to the U.S. where the retail sales would put many Black men in prison while it made prostitutes of their women.
Do you think Hillary could have thought up a way to fix this problem?

It only made a comeback because the US got into a recession. It always does this.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2017 9:28:01 PM
Like he says there is now a drug called Kratom that helps crackheads withdraw from their addiction, and it has become illegal in a few states.
When you have a product that earns as much money as crack, the guys who sell it will be able to keep the business going by bribing legislators.
There has been a drug that cures heroin addiction called methadone. It has been around for a long time but you still can't buy it in the drug stores. Rudy Giuliani is not in favor ok it. He said " that's just exchanging one addiction for another"
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2017 10:01:22 PM

The people who are affected by this are primarily poor, white, rural, and unemployed or underemployed.... which means that the Republican party doesn't give a fvck about them.
Eye_of_the_Needle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2017 2:35:49 PM
www.debate.org/forums/health/topic/105852/

As i posted here, there is a hell of a lot more wrong with us today than opioids and life expectancy. Almost anything you can think of is showing signs of worsening.
The Ends cannot justify the Means.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2017 8:38:36 PM
At 12/30/2017 10:01:22 PM, YYW wrote:

The people who are affected by this are primarily poor, white, rural, and unemployed or underemployed.... which means that the Republican party doesn't give a fvck about them.

Not really true- the opioid epidemic is spreading to the middle class. It disproportionately impacts the lower income but abuse is a big problem almost everywhere.

And to be fair, it isn't that the GOP doesn't give a fvck about the poor, rural and unemployed- they've amply proven they don't really give a fvck about anyone.

Opioid abuse rates similar in urban, suburban and rural areas:

Opioid abuse in privately insured individuals as a proxy for abuse in the middle class:

http://fortune.com...
We gonna pull up like the ice cream truck
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2017 8:43:19 PM

The opioid crisis is not solely attributable to prescriptions. It is a foreseeable side effect of legalizing Marijuana.

Since legalization began in several states, the cartels revenue has dropped by an estimated 40%. This is why we are being flooded with Heroin and even Fentanyl, there was little Fentanyl abuse before the legalization of weed.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2017 8:43:47 PM

The problem was already here by the time Obama won the election.

The roots of the epidemic started in the early 90s and truly exploded in the early aughts of the Bush administration. Both parties have done jack all to solve things at a national level. At a local level both parties have done some things to try and stop the problem.

IMO the issue should be central issues of '18 and '20. It is an apolitical topic that either party could seriously capitalize on.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2017 8:49:40 PM
At 12/23/2017 4:52:01 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 12/23/2017 4:33:30 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

He barely got his tax bill passed.

Trump can autonomously declare the opioid epidemic a national emergency. He doesn't need congress for that. The only thing stopping Trump from doing so is... Trump.

He promised to declare it a national emergency several times. But I'm sure Trump supporters have some warped explanation for why this isn't an obvious example of him being a morally bankrupt liar.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2017 8:50:48 PM
At 12/31/2017 8:38:36 PM, Raisor wrote:

Not really true-

Actually, it seems like we agree based on this:

the opioid epidemic is spreading to the middle class.

Of course, but it still primarily impacts the lower working class, which we seem to agree on.

It disproportionately impacts the lower income but abuse is a big problem almost everywhere.

Sure, but it is still primarily a problem affecting the lower middle and working classes, which I said.

And to be fair, it isn't that the GOP doesn't give a fvck about the poor, rural and unemployed- they've amply proven they don't really give a fvck about anyone.

So, the fact that the GOP doesn't give a fuck_about anyone would tend to suggest that they must also not give a fuck_about poor working class white people, as I indicated. We agree on that too.

Opioid abuse in privately insured individuals as a proxy for abuse in the middle class:

Sure. You're basically saying the same thing as me, with the difference that you draw attention to the fact that in addition to primarily affecting working and lower middle classes, it also has a middle class impact.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2017 8:52:28 PM
At 12/31/2017 8:50:48 PM, YYW wrote:
At 12/31/2017 8:38:36 PM, Raisor wrote:

Not really true-

Actually, it seems like we agree based on this:

the opioid epidemic is spreading to the middle class.

Of course, but it still primarily impacts the lower working class, which we seem to agree on.

It disproportionately impacts the lower income but abuse is a big problem almost everywhere.

Sure, but it is still primarily a problem affecting the lower middle and working classes, which I said.

So, the fact that the GOP doesn't give a fuck_about anyone would tend to suggest that they must also not give a fuck_about poor working class white people, as I indicated. We agree on that too.

Sure. You're basically saying the same thing as me, with the difference that you draw attention to the fact that in addition to primarily affecting working and lower middle classes, it also has a middle class impact.

Which I think is politically important- Ohio only started taking the epidemic seriously when political donors started realizing the issue impacts them as well as the poor.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2017 9:48:56 PM
At 12/31/2017 8:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:

He promised to declare it a national emergency several times. But I'm sure Trump supporters have some warped explanation for why this isn't an obvious example of him being a morally bankrupt liar.

Thanks for the predictable reduction of everything Trump into "good vs evil"

It still doesn't change the fact that he can't magically create funding for this with an executive order.