Jump to topic:

drinking age shouldn't be lowered to 18

linate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2017 3:04:19 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
a very common argument in favor of lowering it, is that if you are old enough to serve in the military you should be old enough to drink. i can see the logic that the two should go together, but it doesn't necessarily follow that the age should be lowered. more like, the age to enlist should be raised.

many if not most who join the military are being taken advantage of due to their youthful naivette and lack of options. if they required the age be later, maturity would deter many. (among other committments they make, sure). also, at that age, ddeaths and harm is extremely common due to these folks. as the age raises w maturity, the problems
decrease.

basically, at the age of 18 most kids arent mature enough.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2017 3:13:48 PM
At 12/29/2017 3:04:19 PM, linate wrote:
a very common argument in favor of lowering it, is that if you are old enough to serve in the military you should be old enough to drink. i can see the logic that the two should go together, but it doesn't necessarily follow that the age should be lowered. more like, the age to enlist should be raised.

many if not most who join the military are being taken advantage of due to their youthful naivette and lack of options. if they required the age be later, maturity would deter many. (among other committments they make, sure). also, at that age, ddeaths and harm is extremely common due to these folks. as the age raises w maturity, the problems
decrease.

21 is a good age because it's a fairly good compromise for brain development and keeps the age of people illegally buying alcohol at least 2 or 3 years over high school. I suppose having a limited supply keeps some kids with newly found freedom from binge drinking more often than not and it give's a little extra money to juniors who've run out of scholarship's lol. Kids should be able to legally drink beer with their parents though. Nothing wrong with that.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2017 3:53:32 PM
At 12/29/2017 3:13:48 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

decrease.

21 is a good age because it's a fairly good compromise for brain development and keeps the age of people illegally buying alcohol at least 2 or 3 years over high school. I suppose having a limited supply keeps some kids with newly found freedom from binge drinking more often than not and it give's a little extra money to juniors who've run out of scholarship's lol. Kids should be able to legally drink beer with their parents though. Nothing wrong with that.

the age restrictions never stopped me or my friends. Growing up the fear of my parents had more effect than any law.
Bennett91 the liar http://www.debate.org...
PoliticalAIm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2017 12:22:10 AM

Is this from your experience in the military or is that your own naivette?
decrease.

perrydyl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2017 1:28:26 PM
Kids should be able to legally drink beer with their parents though. Nothing wrong with that.

I agree. Binge drinking can severely damage people, however those who are denied access for too long will likely skip the experimenting stage and go right to bingeing.

In my household I was allowed to have a drink or two at parties, weddings, things of that nature when I turned 16. I rarely over indulge now, and when I do it's never to the point of alcohol poisoning.
Archaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2017 2:26:08 PM
I don't know why you consider a 18-year-old guy a kid, they're mature enough to take their own decisions.

I don't know either how it is in the US but in my contry people at 18 get legally independent, namely that they can get married, have children, buy properties, vote, travel to wherever they want, and a long etcetera. I had friends who started to work and set up their own families at that age so I find it alright that they drink and even smoke (cigarettes of course). From time to time, I have the impression that the US government is too strict and conservative with their people to the extent of putting so many restrictions that remind us of past ages. I wonder why they aren't that strict with gun policies. Double standard?

On the other hand, we all know the age is not a barrier to drink. I got drunk for the very first time when I was 14, but I'm not alcoholic as my nickname might imply. Actually, I've been cleaned for round about 10 years, which I'm very much proud of.
linate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2018 7:08:36 PM
i would actually entertain the idea of keeping things the way they are, despite the kids not being old enough to truly appreciate military action. that's beause alcohol is mostly a problem for the consequences it causes other... military action doesn't cause much problem to others. i think a little bit of taking advantage of youthful minds for the purpose of the military is a bit justifiable, and what better time to do it than when they are just out of high school.

At 12/31/2017 2:26:08 PM, Archaholic wrote:
I don't know why you consider a 18-year-old guy a kid, they're mature enough to take their own decisions.

I don't know either how it is in the US but in my contry people at 18 get legally independent, namely that they can get married, have children, buy properties, vote, travel to wherever they want, and a long etcetera. I had friends who started to work and set up their own families at that age so I find it alright that they drink and even smoke (cigarettes of course). From time to time, I have the impression that the US government is too strict and conservative with their people to the extent of putting so many restrictions that remind us of past ages. I wonder why they aren't that strict with gun policies. Double standard?

On the other hand, we all know the age is not a barrier to drink. I got drunk for the very first time when I was 14, but I'm not alcoholic as my nickname might imply. Actually, I've been cleaned for round about 10 years, which I'm very much proud of.

they're old enough to accept the consequences of their actions but not old enough to not cause significant consequences to other people.
Unstobbaple
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2018 7:16:03 PM

decrease.

People drink alcohol as soon as they realize that people enjoy it and are able to gain access to it. 14? I'm clear why you'd make an issue out of the age of consent of all things.
Archaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2018 8:52:18 PM
At 1/1/2018 7:08:36 PM, linate wrote:
i would actually entertain the idea of keeping things the way they are, despite the kids not being old enough to truly appreciate military action. that's beause alcohol is mostly a problem for the consequences it causes other... military action doesn't cause much problem to others. i think a little bit of taking advantage of youthful minds for the purpose of the military is a bit justifiable, and what better time to do it than when they are just out of high school.

they're old enough to accept the consequences of their actions but not old enough to not cause significant consequences to other people.

I would really like to hear about these consequences to others because I'm clueless tbh.
linate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2018 11:07:12 PM
At 1/1/2018 8:52:18 PM, Archaholic wrote:

I would really like to hear about these consequences to others because I'm clueless tbh.

well it mostly boils down to drinking and driving. to my knowledge, it's common knowledge that younger people cause more drunk accidents. if this were not the case, i could see changing my view, otherwise it's pretty significant that teens cause a lot more deaths than non teens
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2018 1:40:43 AM

Drunk driving to my knowledge. The Fed doesn't actually prohibit it but they bribe the states with highway funding.
Nd2400
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2018 2:12:35 AM

decrease.

Totally agree. Lowering the age limit would be very stupid... Wouldn't make any sense at all...
Archaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2018 12:44:14 PM
At 1/1/2018 11:07:12 PM, linate wrote:

well it mostly boils down to drinking and driving. to my knowledge, it's common knowledge that younger people cause more drunk accidents. if this were not the case, i could see changing my view, otherwise it's pretty significant that teens cause a lot more deaths than non teens
I'd have to see the statistics to judge. But still, not all the teen drink and drive at the same time. Besides, drinking is actually far more difficult to control than driving so I would go for lowering the driving age, it would make more sense than lowering the drinking age.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2018 6:10:22 PM
At 1/2/2018 12:44:14 PM, Archaholic wrote:

I'd have to see the statistics to judge. But still, not all the teen drink and drive at the same time. Besides, drinking is actually far more difficult to control than driving so I would go for lowering the driving age, it would make more sense than lowering the drinking age.

In some states it's legal to drink at a house, but not at a bar until you are 21. Thats a good policy that doesnt hurt people and those three years of learning your limits are all that is necessary.
Archaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2018 7:51:59 PM
At 1/4/2018 6:10:22 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

In some states it's legal to drink at a house, but not at a bar until you are 21. Thats a good policy that doesnt hurt people and those three years of learning your limits are all that is necessary.

That is a well thought-out policy that all the states should follow up.

Americans should come up with a good drug policy as well. The amount of drug running in the US is astonishingly high.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2018 7:58:25 PM
At 1/4/2018 7:51:59 PM, Archaholic wrote:

Americans should come up with a good drug policy as well. The amount of drug running in the US is astonishingly high.

yes the states should have well thought out polices, it has never and will never happen, regardless of the issue lol
Archaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2018 8:09:16 PM
At 1/4/2018 7:58:25 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

yes the states should have well thought out polices, it has never and will never happen, regardless of the issue lol

What are you talking about, dude?
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2018 8:15:26 PM
At 1/4/2018 8:09:16 PM, Archaholic wrote:

you said " Americans should come up with a good drug policy" I'm saying I'd be happy if they came up with ANY good policies on ANY thing, in other words I don't find the government to be very competent and making good policies generally speaking.
Archaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2018 8:48:30 PM
At 1/4/2018 8:15:26 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

you said " Americans should come up with a good drug policy" I'm saying I'd be happy if they came up with ANY good policies on ANY thing, in other words I don't find the government to be very competent and making good policies generally speaking.
Ah well, I actually understood that but I wasn't sure since you're American and not all the Americans have the balls to bash their own country.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2018 8:49:53 PM
At 1/4/2018 8:48:30 PM, Archaholic wrote:
At 1/4/2018 8:15:26 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

Ah well, I actually understood that but I wasn't sure since you're American and not all the Americans have the balls to bash their own country.

probably more than you think ;) what better way to bash the broken system than to elect someone most people don't like?