Jump to topic:

Predictions for 2018

Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2017 1:12:23 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
1. Mass discontentment with corruption in post-Maidan Ukraine will spark another political revolution in the country, either figuratively (such as the "Reagan Revolution") or literally (such as the French Revolution). There'll be a struggle between Petro Poroshenko's party of power and a reformist movement led by Mikheil Saakashvili, which may result in new elections and/or a new national constitution in Ukraine in the year 2018 (or, the process will start in 2018 and culminate in 2019).
2. Donald Trump will not be impeached in 2018. At any time, in theory at least, Trump has the ability to fire Mueller and squash the investigation, and the GOP-held congress will probably work behind the scenes to help him in this regard. It's been admitted by Trump recently that the real reason he hasn't done so yet is that the investigation has helped galvanize his base. Given that Congress is presently controlled by the GOP, firing Mueller probably won't backfire on him to any truly significant degree.
3. In 2018, Trump will focus on trying to get a trillion dollar infrastructure project approved by Congress. This will increase the national debt by another approximately 1 trillion dollars over the span of several years, to the chagrin and protest of deficit hawks like Rand Paul. Included in this package will, of course, be at least partial funding for the Border Wall. Whether or not this bill passes may help decide the outcome of the 2018 midterm election.
4. The UN will continue to tighten sanctions against North Korea. At some point in the year, the U.S. will succeed in having all or most crude oil shipments to North Korea banned, or at least on paper. The Russians and the Chinese will continue to violate these sanctions on occasion. The hermit state, meanwhile, will remain defiant, and focus its efforts on successfully attaching a nuclear warhead to an intercontinental ballistic missile, and on its budding nuclear submarine program.
5. Trump will intensify his legal battle with "sanctuary cities" across the United States.
6. Relations between the U.S. and certain Middle Eastern countries will sour. The U.S. will cut aid to Egypt and Lebanon, and perhaps Afghanistan. Turkey under President Erdogan will take a leading role in a regional anti-Israel bloc, though full-out war with the sole Jewish nation is unlikely.
7. Sexual Assault and Harassment will remain a hot-button topic going into 2018. More high-profile figures will be "outed" as creeps and predators. Either Conan O'Brian, Jimmy Fallon, or William Shatner will be accused of sexual indiscretions at some point during the year.
8. The Syrian Civil War will come to an end in 2018 (for the most part at least). Syrian President Bashar al-Assad will be the clear victor.
And still I advance in this uncharted battleground
My arrows take off to pierce your heart of hearts
I exert myself beyond what I once thought possible
With a clarity that comes from our mutual loneliness
The day I give up trying to breach your cold exterior
Is the day we can laugh and smile in the promised land
Or the day we resign ourselves to this never ending hell
Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2017 1:40:56 AM
9. Gosho Aoyama will recover from his present malady to the extent that the Detective Conan manga will be able to continue.
10. Attack on Titan Season 3 will air in April, as scheduled. There won't be quite as much hype surrounding it as with Seasons 1 and 2. Season 3's Opening will be kind of weird and different, but not necessarily disappointing. Its Ending will be at least marginally better than the Ending for Season 2. It won't be the most memorable anime of 2018.
11. Some retarded pop song will become a smash hit and played just about everywhere.
12. Pokemon Go will decline in popularity further.
13. On February 4, 2018, the Super Bowl game will be played in the U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis. The Pittsburgh Steelers will be one of the two teams that makes it there.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2017 4:46:55 AM
I will comment on a few of these, at some point before the end of 2018, most likely. Too tired right now.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2017 7:38:18 AM
At 12/31/2017 4:46:55 AM, YYW wrote:
I will comment on a few of these, at some point before the end of 2018, most likely. Too tired right now.

Playing too much Call of Duty?
"The annoying kid has a point. Let's revolt in this bitch!" - The Boondocks
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2017 2:23:49 PM
At 12/31/2017 7:38:18 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/31/2017 4:46:55 AM, YYW wrote:

Playing too much Call of Duty?

Ehh... I kind of rage quitted yesterday...
Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2018 12:50:58 AM
14. Trump will, in 2018, press congress for increased funding to the Department of Veterans Affairs.