Jump to topic:

Words Matter: "Radical Islamic Terrorism"

Swagnarok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2018 8:10:56 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
Many prominent political figures on the left have been reluctant to use the term "Radical Islamic Terrorism", fearing that it needlessly antagonizes and villainizes the Muslim world. In contrast, political figures on the right have been all too eager to use the term, such as Donald Trump in his inaugural address last year.
I would like to suggest here that the term should not be controversial, and this is my reasoning:

1. The use of the phrase "radical" distinguishes murderers and thugs who fly the black flag of jihad from the generally decent and moral inhabitants of the Muslim world.
2. There is practical value in classifying a terror group as "Islamic". Where you know what a terror group is fighting for, you have a grasp of the past groups which have inspired and influenced the group, which allows intelligence agencies with limited reliable information to make reasonably accurate assumptions about their tactics and organizational structure, as well as what kind of people they're looking to recruit. Radical Right-Wing terrorists in the United States, and Radical Left-Wing terrorists, don't act the same way as Islamic terrorists, though of course all terrorists like to blow stuff up and shoot people.
And still I advance in this uncharted battleground
My arrows take off to pierce your heart of hearts
I exert myself beyond what I once thought possible
With a clarity that comes from our mutual loneliness
The day I give up trying to breach your cold exterior
Is the day we can laugh and smile in the promised land
Or the day we resign ourselves to this never ending hell
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2018 8:22:40 PM
At 1/2/2018 8:10:56 PM, Swagnarok wrote:
Many prominent political figures on the left have been reluctant to use the term "Radical Islamic Terrorism", fearing that it needlessly antagonizes and villainizes the Muslim world. In contrast, political figures on the right have been all too eager to use the term, such as Donald Trump in his inaugural address last year.
I would like to suggest here that the term should not be controversial, and this is my reasoning:

1. The use of the phrase "radical" distinguishes murderers and thugs who fly the black flag of jihad from the generally decent and moral inhabitants of the Muslim world.
2. There is practical value in classifying a terror group as "Islamic". Where you know what a terror group is fighting for, you have a grasp of the past groups which have inspired and influenced the group, which allows intelligence agencies with limited reliable information to make reasonably accurate assumptions about their tactics and organizational structure, as well as what kind of people they're looking to recruit. Radical Right-Wing terrorists in the United States, and Radical Left-Wing terrorists, don't act the same way as Islamic terrorists, though of course all terrorists like to blow stuff up and shoot people.

but it hurts people's feelings :( Just like calling people illegal or criminal aliens, even though the youtube videos show them doing just that lol hypocritical nonsense
Remember this is the same group that wants to rename prisoners, criminals to something else, I forget what, freedom challenged or some sh!t
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2018 9:22:32 PM

More importantly, the term "radical" helps distinguish the true monster from the happy shiny every-day Muslim depicted daily on NPR puff stories.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2018 9:24:36 PM

Shall we not talk about domestic terrorism. Besides angry white males kill more people here in the US than anybody else.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2018 10:05:46 PM
At 1/2/2018 9:24:36 PM, inferno wrote:

Shall we not talk about domestic terrorism. Besides angry white males kill more people here in the US than anybody else.

It's still OK to be white.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2018 11:04:33 PM

That terminology is a gift to the world. It is simply, correct. Some people may have different perspectives which shape the application of duty to their fellow man, but we all share an equal responsibility within our juristiction.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2018 1:42:56 AM

The issue isnt really about antagonizing Muslims.

Anyone with a nuanced, and rational understanding of the complexities of this sort of terrorism appreciate and understand that terrorism ceases upon Islam as a driver, and is radical by its very nature.

The problem is that we seem to live in a country where legal imigrants from India get shot by racists, where Sikhs are confused for Muslims, and a significant number of people believe bold faced lies: the ability to appreciate nuance is in short supply, and the drumbeat rhetoric that has been successfully radicalizing the right wing is evidently harmful: not because feelings are hurt, but the how the tone of the rhetoric affects the mouth breathers.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2018 3:03:31 AM
At 1/3/2018 1:42:56 AM, Ramshutu wrote:

The issue isnt really about antagonizing Muslims.

Right, it's about radical Islamic terror

Anyone with a nuanced, and rational understanding of the complexities of this sort of terrorism appreciate and understand that terrorism ceases upon Islam as a driver, and is radical by its very nature.

Evidently not

The problem is that we seem to live in a country where legal imigrants from India get shot by racists, where Sikhs are confused for Muslims, and a significant number of people believe bold faced lies: the ability to appreciate nuance is in short supply, and the drumbeat rhetoric that has been successfully radicalizing the right wing is evidently harmful: not because feelings are hurt, but the how the tone of the rhetoric affects the mouth breathers.

Yeah, the last thing we should be doing is manufacturing us vs them paradigms.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2018 3:48:37 AM

The Left doesn't like the term Radical Islamic Terrorism because we don't want to demonize Muslims. The Right doesn't like the term domestic terrorist because they don't want to demonize their voter base.
"The annoying kid has a point. Let's revolt in this bitch!" - The Boondocks
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2018 3:51:23 AM
At 1/3/2018 1:42:56 AM, Ramshutu wrote:

Umm that's not nuanced at all. Terrorism is not a purely religious affair, it's almost always political disputes that use religion to cause the general public to support/join them. From the Crusades, to the Troubles to today its been the case.
"The annoying kid has a point. Let's revolt in this bitch!" - The Boondocks