Jump to topic:

Utterly Disgusting

OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 5:50:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Sick: Young, Undercover Cops Flirted With Students to Trick Them Into Selling Pot

Working at the Drug Policy Alliance for the last twelve years I have read and heard countless stories of people having their lives ruined because of our country's cruel war on drugs. Last weekend, the nationally syndicated show This American Life highlighted a story that is so insane, you don't know whether to laugh or puke.

Last year in three high schools in Florida, several undercover police officers posed as students. The undercover cops went to classes, became Facebook friends and flirted with the other students. One 18-year-old honor student named Justin fell in love with an attractive 25-year-old undercover cop after spending weeks sharing stories about their lives, texting and flirting with each other.

One day she asked Justin if he smoked pot. Even though he didn't smoke marijuana, the love-struck teen promised to help find some for her. Every couple of days she would text him asking if he had the marijuana. Finally, Justin was able to get it to her. She tried to give him $25 for the marijuana and he said he didn't want the money -- he got it for her as a present.

A short while later, the police did a big sweep and arrest 31 students -- including Justin. Almost all were charged with selling a small amount of marijuana to the undercover cops. Now Justin has a felony hanging over his head.

This story is not unique to Florida and it reminds me of an 18-year-old Mitchell Lawrence, a young man from Great Barrington, Mass., who served two years in jail for selling a joint to an undercover cop. The officer befriended Lawrence and his friends and would hang out with them. One day the cop asked if Lawrence had any weed. Lawrence gave the cop a joint. The cop handed him $20. Lawrence hesitated, but the cop insisted on giving him the money. "Selling" the joint, because they were hanging out less than a 1000 feet from a school, and thus was considered a "drug free school zone," carried a mandatory minimum two-year sentence.

The drug war is sick. How much money was wasted by our law enforcement to get these few bags of marijuana "off the streets"? How do these cops look themselves in the mirror? Seducing 18-year-olds to fall in love or pretending to be friends and then tricking them into procuring small amounts of marijuana so they can charge them with felonies is beyond slimy and diametrically opposed to the officers' charge to "serve and protect."

We often hear that we need to fight the drug war to protect the kids. As these despicable examples show, more often the drug war is ruining young people's lives and doing more harm than good.

http://www.alternet.org...

---------------------------------------

It's really stories like this that disturb me. The fact that not only people, but law enforcement officers, would go far out of their way to try and ruin the life of a teen is utterly disturbing. It almost seems indicative of sociopathic or sadistic urges on the part of the officer. I have no idea how these officers can live with themselves.
wingalbrave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 5:54:31 PM
Who cares? The cops were doing their job and teaching these morons a lesson. If someone tells you to jump off a cliff, even if that person were your wife, would you do it? That stupid boy needed to learn this important lesson, and he did. Tough that he did not learn it as a child.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 5:58:24 PM
At 2/16/2012 5:54:31 PM, wingalbrave wrote:
Who cares? The cops were doing their job and teaching these morons a lesson. If someone tells you to jump off a cliff, even if that person were your wife, would you do it? That stupid boy needed to learn this important lesson, and he did. Tough that he did not learn it as a child.

You're missing the point. It is not a cop's job to go out and try to entice people into breaking the law.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 5:58:37 PM

You're seriously comparing jumping off a cliff to sharing your weed? I checked your profile and it says you're a libertarian, and I think you better change that since this attitude is essentially incompatible with that.

Perhaps fascist would be a better label?
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 6:01:15 PM
Yeah this is an old story, unfortunately... Cops will pose as students and even go as far as smoking with them (although in court they will say they merely blew out on it to create a lot of smoke, which I think is probably bullcrap).

They are fuckingpigs. What else can you say? They do a lot worse than this! Prison guards are particularly sadistic as well. And in the looser sense, most of our country consists of pigs as well. Consuming out of control, supporting selfish laws like immigration and foreign wars to secure their luxuries, and paying no mind to any interests that don't directly help themselves. But that's OK because they go to church.
Rob
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 6:01:25 PM
So, did they just catch kids doing drugs, or did they literally have them do drugs?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

Signature Quote

"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 6:02:28 PM

Nazis "did their job" and killed millions of Jews. So it's justified? This seems like entrapment to me.
Rob
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 6:04:56 PM
The Police aren't there to "serve and protect", they exist to apprehend law breakers. I dont think that that's the way it ought to be, but that's how it is. This story disgusts me. Ruining someones life over a crime that isnt even a crime. Despicable.

The Police department seems more about ticketing and money than anything else. That reminds me:

Once years ago my father and I were at the lake in his truck and the inspection sticker was outdated. We saw some Cops coming (but they couldnt see us), driving very slowly to look for any infractions and my father to keep from getting a ticket, pulled over his truck and popped the hood and started pretending to fix it so that the cops wouldn't see his outdated inspection sticker. And they just drove on by. I dont know why, but for some reason that memory is one of the ones that makes me the most angry. Heres a guy who seems to be in need of help because his trucks seemingly broken down, and instead of helping him the cops just drive by because they cant see any reason to steal his money.

Simply disgusting.
I have shown incredible restraint in the face of unrelenting stupidity- Izbo

Procrastination binds us all, cutting across geographical borders. - Cermank

Don't quote me, ever. -Airmax

#StandWithBossy
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 6:13:14 PM
More disgusting from the This American Life: http://www.thisamericanlife.org... (Although it's the radio show, not the TV show)

And I agree with you, although I think that the "war on drugs" should be remodeled, reformed, and injected with a little bit of sanity but still operate. Cops should not force people into doing crime; that's just wrong. They should prevent and watch for crime, not make it happen. I wish that the seducing cops should be arrested for something.

(On the subject on the war on drugs: I think that marijuana and magic mushrooms should be legalized, but the other drugs should be cracked down on. The main way to do this is by getting people to stop taking them. Which is so much easier said than done it's laughable.)
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 6:13:38 PM
I'm pretty sure everybody knows what I would say.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 6:17:10 PM
The War on Drugs should be extended. This is simply the tip of the iceberg. It has been successful so far and is moving forward. We need more of these undercover police officers to take the drugs off the streets and encourage young people that doing drugs is not only bad, but severely apprehensible by law.

The people who are making/selling the drugs should be found at all costs. If the police have any sort of indication that a person might be making drugs, they should immediately conduct a search without any of this petty "right" crap. No amount of liberty shall supersede the security of the State (wonder how many sigs this is going on). As for punishments, they should be severely punished. I think 10 years for "lesser" drugs and 20 years for "harder" drugs. Multiple offences result in the DP.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 6:19:40 PM
The cops are finally getting it right. Maybe they scared those students at the school enough that they won't sell to each other anymore.

Drugs are the disgusting thing. He shouldn't have bought the pot period.
Check this out! -----> http://www.conservativepolitico.org...
Jesus Is Lord and Savior of All
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 6:20:04 PM
At 2/16/2012 6:17:10 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
The War on Drugs should be extended. This is simply the tip of the iceberg. It has been successful so far and is moving forward. We need more of these undercover police officers to take the drugs off the streets and encourage young people that doing drugs is not only bad, but severely apprehensible by law.

The people who are making/selling the drugs should be found at all costs. If the police have any sort of indication that a person might be making drugs, they should immediately conduct a search without any of this petty "right" crap. No amount of liberty shall supersede the security of the State (wonder how many sigs this is going on). As for punishments, they should be severely punished. I think 10 years for "lesser" drugs and 20 years for "harder" drugs. Multiple offences result in the DP.

So... you are defending the cops that are basically forwarding the cause against them, along with innocents who are falling for love with them?
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 6:20:11 PM

+1
Check this out! -----> http://www.conservativepolitico.org...
Jesus Is Lord and Savior of All
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 6:20:47 PM
I'm kinda doubting his side of the story. I'm pretty sure he was into this stuff before, and even if he was telling the truth, he shouldn't have bought the drugs.

Signature Quote

"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."

UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 6:21:15 PM
At 2/16/2012 6:19:40 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
The cops are finally getting it right. Maybe they scared those students at the school enough that they won't sell to each other anymore.

"He shouldn't have bought the pot." He was COERCED into buying the pot! I think that the cops should take the blame.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 6:21:20 PM
At 2/16/2012 6:20:04 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:

So... you are defending the cops that are basically forwarding the cause against them, along with innocents who are falling for love with them?

That kid was not "innocent". He was quite guilty.

Signature Quote

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 6:21:25 PM
At 2/16/2012 6:20:04 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:

Yes. It is showing an example for other students of what kind of harmful effects buying illegal drugs can do. Not only to the personal body and to everybody around the user, but also to legal charges.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 6:21:49 PM
At 2/16/2012 6:21:15 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:

"He shouldn't have bought the pot." He was COERCED into buying the pot! I think that the cops should take the blame.

No, that was what he said. I'm doubting what he said was true.

Signature Quote

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 6:22:44 PM

This kid was not innocent. This kid obviously had an inclination to buy pot. Perhaps if he was with another person, he might have got the pot and been able to get away. This is obviously unacceptable. If the kid was truly innocent, he wouldn't have gotten the pot in the first place.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 6:24:34 PM
At 2/16/2012 6:22:44 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

This kid was not innocent. This kid obviously had an inclination to buy pot. Perhaps if he was with another person, he might have got the pot and been able to get away. This is obviously unacceptable. If the kid was truly innocent, he wouldn't have gotten the pot in the first place.

I hope you get thrown in jail for jaywalking.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 6:25:44 PM
At 2/16/2012 6:24:34 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

Cause taking some candy, and grand theft auto are the same thing.

Signature Quote

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 6:26:15 PM

If I do, then I know that I have been violating the law, which is simply unacceptable behaviour on my part.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 6:26:42 PM
At 2/16/2012 6:25:44 PM, OberHerr wrote:

??
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 6:27:09 PM

@OMGJB: That's harsh.

@LK: Had an inclination to buy pot? Did you not read the section about "he had never smoked pot"? And, by your standards, every person who has smoked a cigarette should be locked up.
wingalbrave
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 6:27:48 PM
At 2/16/2012 6:02:28 PM, Lasagna wrote:

Nazis "did their job" and killed millions of Jews. So it's justified? This seems like entrapment to me.

Who cares if it was entrapment? The kids were morons; they deserve to be in prison.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 6:28:39 PM
At 2/16/2012 6:25:44 PM, OberHerr wrote:

lulz, keep thinking that. When I was 14 I sure thought marijuana was the devil.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 6:29:05 PM
@LK: Had an inclination to buy pot? Did you not read the section about "he had never smoked pot"? And, by your standards, every person who has smoked a cigarette should be locked up.

That is his side of the story. And even if that was true, does that mean he never got pot? No.

Signature Quote

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 6:30:06 PM

lulz, keep thinking that. When I was 14 I sure thought marijuana was the devil.

Its a fitting comparison in elation to jaywalking and drugs.

Signature Quote

UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 6:30:42 PM
At 2/16/2012 6:29:05 PM, OberHerr wrote:

That is his side of the story. And even if that was true, does that mean he never got pot? No.

Then what's the other side of the story? That he gave pot to a police officer who just asked him for it? He wouldn't have if that was the case.