Jump to topic:

Blatant Romney Lie

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 1:52:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This had impressed me last night, so I was shocked when I saw this story.

Romney"s "binder full of women" story was a lie
10/17/2012 8:00am by John Aravosis 25 Comments Print

It was one of the odder moments during last night"s debate. In response to a question about why Romney was equivocal about supporting legislation advocating equal pay for women, Romney told a story about how he tried really hard to hire women when he was governor, and that he had women"s groups put together "binders full of women" that he would use to hire from.

mitt romney's binders full of womenA lot of folks found the "binders full of women" comment a bit odd rhetorically, but even odder is the fact that the story now appears to be " let"s all say it together now " a lie.

Here"s the transcript from last night:

CROWLEY: Governor Romney, pay equity for women?

ROMNEY: Thank you. And important topic, and one which I learned a great deal about, particularly as I was serving as governor of my state, because I had the chance to pull together a cabinet and all the applicants seemed to be men.

And I " and I went to my staff, and I said, "How come all the people for these jobs are " are all men." They said, "Well, these are the people that have the qualifications." And I said, "Well, gosh, can"t we " can"t we find some " some women that are also qualified?"

ROMNEY: And " and so we " we took a concerted effort to go out and find women who had backgrounds that could be qualified to become members of our cabinet.

I went to a number of women"s groups and said, "Can you help us find folks," and they brought us whole binders full of women.

In fact, the story is a lie.

Romney wasn"t concerned about the lack of women in government as he was forming his cabinet, and he didn"t ask women"s groups for the binders to help him out. Women"s groups were concerned about the issue even before the gubernatorial elections, so they put together binders and then gave them to Romney after he was elected.

What actually happened was that in 2002 " prior to the election, not even knowing yet whether it would be a Republican or Democratic administration " a bipartisan group of women in Massachusetts formed MassGAP to address the problem of few women in senior leadership positions in state government. There were more than 40 organizations involved with the Massachusetts Women"s Political Caucus (also bipartisan) as the lead sponsor.

They did the research and put together the binder full of women qualified for all the different cabinet positions, agency heads, and authorities and commissions. They presented this binder to Governor Romney when he was elected.

I have written about this before, in various contexts; tonight I"ve checked with several people directly involved in the MassGAP effort who confirm that this history as I"ve just presented it is correct " and that Romney"s claim tonight, that he asked for such a study, is false.

http://elections.americablog.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 2:53:46 AM
Umm. There's no conflict here. That the binder preexisted any possible Romney request does not contradict that Romney had a request that lead to his possession of the binder.

Mind, why he's proud of such affirmative action it's hard to tell.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 6:44:03 AM
President Obama made reference to the Lily Ledbetter Act, which he signed into law in 2009. This is obscure. Job discrimination on account of gender was illegal before the Act and remains illegal. The Act has to do with the time limit on filing a class action lawsuit against a company on grounds of discrimination. Republicans defeated the Act in 2007, but Democrats passed it under Obama.

The idea is that if a woman discovers that the company paid omen less 20 years ago, but corrected the practice 15 years ago, she can still sue provided she worked for the company within six months of the time of filing suit.

While individual companies may discriminate, there is not much evidence of overall wage discrimination based upon gender. Women get paid less, but it is because they tend to interrupt their careers to raise families, take more part time jobs, and not participate in the better-paid trades (union plumbers, etc.). Those traditional patterns are weakening.
Roy's political blog http://factspluslogic.com...
Roy's photo blog: http://quickshotartist.com...
Roy's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 7:55:29 AM
At 10/17/2012 1:52:48 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
This had impressed me last night, so I was shocked when I saw this story.

Romney"s "binder full of women" story was a lie
10/17/2012 8:00am by John Aravosis 25 Comments Print

It was one of the odder moments during last night"s debate. In response to a question about why Romney was equivocal about supporting legislation advocating equal pay for women, Romney told a story about how he tried really hard to hire women when he was governor, and that he had women"s groups put together "binders full of women" that he would use to hire from.

mitt romney's binders full of womenA lot of folks found the "binders full of women" comment a bit odd rhetorically, but even odder is the fact that the story now appears to be " let"s all say it together now " a lie.

Here"s the transcript from last night:

CROWLEY: Governor Romney, pay equity for women?

ROMNEY: Thank you. And important topic, and one which I learned a great deal about, particularly as I was serving as governor of my state, because I had the chance to pull together a cabinet and all the applicants seemed to be men.

And I " and I went to my staff, and I said, "How come all the people for these jobs are " are all men." They said, "Well, these are the people that have the qualifications." And I said, "Well, gosh, can"t we " can"t we find some " some women that are also qualified?"

ROMNEY: And " and so we " we took a concerted effort to go out and find women who had backgrounds that could be qualified to become members of our cabinet.

I went to a number of women"s groups and said, "Can you help us find folks," and they brought us whole binders full of women.

In fact, the story is a lie.

Romney wasn"t concerned about the lack of women in government as he was forming his cabinet, and he didn"t ask women"s groups for the binders to help him out. Women"s groups were concerned about the issue even before the gubernatorial elections, so they put together binders and then gave them to Romney after he was elected.

What actually happened was that in 2002 " prior to the election, not even knowing yet whether it would be a Republican or Democratic administration " a bipartisan group of women in Massachusetts formed MassGAP to address the problem of few women in senior leadership positions in state government. There were more than 40 organizations involved with the Massachusetts Women"s Political Caucus (also bipartisan) as the lead sponsor.

They did the research and put together the binder full of women qualified for all the different cabinet positions, agency heads, and authorities and commissions. They presented this binder to Governor Romney when he was elected.

I have written about this before, in various contexts; tonight I"ve checked with several people directly involved in the MassGAP effort who confirm that this history as I"ve just presented it is correct " and that Romney"s claim tonight, that he asked for such a study, is false.

http://elections.americablog.com...

You wasted all that time writing about such a non issue, non important, idiotic, diversionary, issue.

I love how these are the same people who are outraged at generalizations, and yet they generalize constantly when it comes to women.