Total Posts:171|Showing Posts:31-60|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Is Libertarianism a Form of Asperger's?

charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 1:05:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/16/2011 10:14:30 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 7/16/2011 10:13:34 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/16/2011 10:11:09 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
In other words, Asperger's is a diagnosis the <strikethrough>Soviets</strikethrough> sheeple invented to slander anyone who doesn't follow the shepherd around enough.

One man's modus ponens is another man's modus tollens.

Of course, I didn't actually read your post, so you could be full of crap, this is assuming you actually found legitimate connections.

Everyone who doesn't read them should just stop replying. Your comments are useless.

>implying Charles' posts are useful.

How, pray tell, would you know that they aren't, if you can't be inconvenienced to read them?
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,299
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 1:07:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/17/2011 1:05:07 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 7/16/2011 10:14:30 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 7/16/2011 10:13:34 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/16/2011 10:11:09 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
In other words, Asperger's is a diagnosis the <strikethrough>Soviets</strikethrough> sheeple invented to slander anyone who doesn't follow the shepherd around enough.

One man's modus ponens is another man's modus tollens.

Of course, I didn't actually read your post, so you could be full of crap, this is assuming you actually found legitimate connections.

Everyone who doesn't read them should just stop replying. Your comments are useless.

>implying Charles' posts are useful.

How, pray tell, would you know that they aren't, if you can't be inconvenienced to read them?

Ah, so you have a memory disorder! I've read your posts in the past :)
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 1:38:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Charles, you repeatedly ask for critique, yet I left a few comments and questions on the very first page that you seem to have ignored. Will you respond to them, or merely ignore them like you claim many do with your posts.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 1:52:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/16/2011 10:23:46 PM, mongeese wrote:
1. Many people start out as liberals or conservatives, but over time become libertarians. How does that fit in to your analysis?

Finding the political ideology and camp that best suits one's psychological orientation is a process that can take time. One's mental tendencies and attitudes need to crystallize into conscious political opinions, and then one needs to make the acquaintance of a philosophy or party that shares and validates those opinions. Again, this can all take a bit of time, and can be an experimental process. One may very well try out other philosophies and parties before finding the best fit.

2. Many libertarians donate considerable portions of their income to charity, and still participate in fundraisers and such things. How does that fit into your analysis?

And there are mafiosi who consider themselves to be staunch Roman Catholics, and who charitably support their church, so what?! Human beings are mentally complex and dichotomous creatures, capable of practicing charity with one hand, and working to do away with the compassionate social safety net of society with the other.

Well, shall we judge the mental and moral character of philanthropic libertarians by their private benevolence, or their atrocious-from-a-humanistic-point-of-view advocacy of the abolition of society's public benevolence? When it comes to mobsters there's no question that their cruel crimes outweigh their contributions to charity & church. Likewise, I think that the intensity of the dogmatism of libertarian uncompassion says a good deal more about the mentality of libertarians than does their commendable donations to their pet charities.

3. What percentage of libertarians do you think are libertarians because of a psychological self-centeredness?

Psychological self-centeredness, an unempathetic individualism, an alpha dog's attitudinal opposition to helping society's underdogs, a cold and obsessive logicality employed to intellectualize and justify one's attitudes, etc., all gel into libertarianism. You can't isolate one particualr Aspergerarin trait as the key factor in turning a certain percentage of libertarians to the dark side, so to speak.

Finally, a few comments:

One cannot force capitalism upon someone else; in fact, it's just about the only economic system that cannot be forced upon someone else, as communism forces all to contribute to a commune, and socialism forces all businesses to subject themselves to government control.

You're talking ivory-tower ideology here again, in the empirical real world capitalism is a system in which an economic elite forms who use their control of economic wealth and the means of producing it to exercise considerable power, economic, social, cultural, and political. This power is most certainly used to impose and perpetuate the capitalist status quo, and if your philosophy is unable to forthrightly take account of this inconvenient little fact, and unable to deal with it more effectively, then I would politely submit that your philosophy suffers from a major weakness.

Additionally, you say that libertarians are impatient, but I can assure you that an impatient person would not have the attention span necessary to read your posts.

Ah, but perhaps what's in play for some of my detractors here is the libertarian's Asperger's-like tendency to fixate on things that strike their interest, such as criticisms of their politico-economic beliefs? Also, their logicality clearly becomes engaged, witness the way some of them meticulously dissect the supposed argumental and logical lameness of my posts.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 1:57:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/16/2011 10:35:10 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/16/2011 10:30:48 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 7/16/2011 10:28:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/16/2011 10:23:46 PM, mongeese wrote:
One cannot force capitalism upon someone else; in fact, it's just about the only economic system that cannot be forced upon someone else, as communism forces all to contribute to a commune, and socialism forces all businesses to subject themselves to government control.

How can one spend so much time on DDO and still say something like this?

Argument from intimidation.

Red herring. I wasn't making an argument.

Freedo scores here. Ragnar, you should demonstrate that you have character by simply saying touché.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 2:01:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/16/2011 10:38:25 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 7/16/2011 10:28:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/16/2011 10:23:46 PM, mongeese wrote:
One cannot force capitalism upon someone else; in fact, it's just about the only economic system that cannot be forced upon someone else, as communism forces all to contribute to a commune, and socialism forces all businesses to subject themselves to government control.

How can one spend so much time on DDO and still say something like this?

By existing?

In what sci-fi universe? Where's this lovely alternate universe in which capitalism works in practice in the blissful fashion that it does in the quixotic theory of free-marketarians? And how do you get there, by traveling through some sort of ideologically interdimensional wormhole?
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 2:01:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Charles, the problem is that you continue to call libertarians "right-wingers" but completely ignore the fact that their typical response to neo-conservatism is a shared loathing with people of your ilk. Instead of being happy with the middle-ground (conservative on fiscal issues, but liberal on social issues) you'd rather denigrate them by inventing ridiculous parallels that don't even exist in reality. I guess it's all or nothing with you.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 2:10:13 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/16/2011 10:41:17 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/16/2011 10:38:25 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 7/16/2011 10:28:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/16/2011 10:23:46 PM, mongeese wrote:
One cannot force capitalism upon someone else; in fact, it's just about the only economic system that cannot be forced upon someone else, as communism forces all to contribute to a commune, and socialism forces all businesses to subject themselves to government control.

How can one spend so much time on DDO and still say something like this?

By existing?

It's always best to reply to a redundant question with another one, isn't it? :D

I'm sure that mongeese is capable of a lengthier and less lame reply, perhaps he didn't have the time to construct an intricate free-marketarian defense. No, one should never underestimate the argumentative fecundity of the dogmatical defenders of nonsensical capitalist theory (to plagiaristically paraphrase a line from Kant). But your nonetheless right, of course, to point out that his response in this instance is argumentally vapid.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 2:11:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/17/2011 2:31:35 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
dont make fun of asspies. Its a serious condition, just like every other combination of chemicals in the brain.

Dont get me started on retards...

The word "retard" is unkind and should be deleted from the vocabulary of anyone who values kindness.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 2:12:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/17/2011 2:11:40 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 7/17/2011 2:31:35 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
dont make fun of asspies. Its a serious condition, just like every other combination of chemicals in the brain.

Dont get me started on retards...

The word "retard" is unkind and should be deleted from the vocabulary of anyone who values kindness.

I actually agree with that. :/
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 2:14:12 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/17/2011 1:52:46 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 7/16/2011 10:23:46 PM, mongeese wrote:
1. Many people start out as liberals or conservatives, but over time become libertarians. How does that fit in to your analysis?

Finding the political ideology and camp that best suits one's psychological orientation is a process that can take time. One's mental tendencies and attitudes need to crystallize into conscious political opinions, and then one needs to make the acquaintance of a philosophy or party that shares and validates those opinions. Again, this can all take a bit of time, and can be an experimental process. One may very well try out other philosophies and parties before finding the best fit.

In that case, the situation of John Stossel doesn't make much sense. He started as a liberal consumer reporter attacking big business, but over time and exposure to government regulation, believed that regulation only made things worse. Is such an event incompatible with your understanding of libertarianism?

2. Many libertarians donate considerable portions of their income to charity, and still participate in fundraisers and such things. How does that fit into your analysis?

And there are mafiosi who consider themselves to be staunch Roman Catholics, and who charitably support their church, so what?! Human beings are mentally complex and dichotomous creatures, capable of practicing charity with one hand, and working to do away with the compassionate social safety net of society with the other.

But surely you must realize that for many libertarians, they are only what you would classify as Asperger's when it comes to government control. Is is really inconceivable to you for someone to believe that a small government would make everyone better off, so that any desire to shrink government control can only be a result of malintent?

Well, shall we judge the mental and moral character of philanthropic libertarians by their private benevolence, or their atrocious-from-a-humanistic-point-of-view advocacy of the abolition of society's public benevolence?

Should we judge a man by what he is willing to do with his own money, or what he would like to force other people to do with theirs?

When it comes to mobsters there's no question that their cruel crimes outweigh their contributions to charity & church. Likewise, I think that the intensity of the dogmatism of libertarian uncompassion says a good deal more about the mentality of libertarians than does their commendable donations to their pet charities.

You condem mafiosos for commiting acts of force against others, which makes sense. You condemn libertarians for wanting government to minimize acts of force agaisnt others, which makes no sense.

3. What percentage of libertarians do you think are libertarians because of a psychological self-centeredness?

Psychological self-centeredness, an unempathetic individualism, an alpha dog's attitudinal opposition to helping society's underdogs, a cold and obsessive logicality employed to intellectualize and justify one's attitudes, etc., all gel into libertarianism. You can't isolate one particualr Aspergerarin trait as the key factor in turning a certain percentage of libertarians to the dark side, so to speak.

I'll clarify. Do you think I, a self-professed libertarian, am a victim of some psychological self-centeredness? Do you believe that it is at all possible for one to be a libertarian without selfish intentions?

Finally, a few comments:

One cannot force capitalism upon someone else; in fact, it's just about the only economic system that cannot be forced upon someone else, as communism forces all to contribute to a commune, and socialism forces all businesses to subject themselves to government control.

You're talking ivory-tower ideology here again, in the empirical real world capitalism is a system in which an economic elite forms who use their control of economic wealth and the means of producing it to exercise considerable power, economic, social, cultural, and political. This power is most certainly used to impose and perpetuate the capitalist status quo, and if your philosophy is unable to forthrightly take account of this inconvenient little fact, and unable to deal with it more effectively, then I would politely submit that your philosophy suffers from a major weakness.

In the empirical real world, we have an ugly mixture of socialism and capitalism, so I'm afraid your response is misdirected. However, even in this mixture, you're free to start your own communistic community that will work together; just don't expect to be handed the resources necessary to build it, because that would involve forcing your economic structure upon others.

Additionally, you say that libertarians are impatient, but I can assure you that an impatient person would not have the attention span necessary to read your posts.

Ah, but perhaps what's in play for some of my detractors here is the libertarian's Asperger's-like tendency to fixate on things that strike their interest, such as criticisms of their politico-economic beliefs?

So if they ignore your posts, they have Asperger's, but if they respond to them, they also have Asperger's? Surely you must see the flaw here.

Also, their logicality clearly becomes engaged, witness the way some of them meticulously dissect the supposed argumental and logical lameness of my posts.

Some of them is not all of them; I'm sure I could find numerous examples of liberals acting like total jerks, but I'm not going to frame the entire ideology of liberalism around intolerance.
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 2:15:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/17/2011 2:01:25 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 7/16/2011 10:38:25 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 7/16/2011 10:28:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/16/2011 10:23:46 PM, mongeese wrote:
One cannot force capitalism upon someone else; in fact, it's just about the only economic system that cannot be forced upon someone else, as communism forces all to contribute to a commune, and socialism forces all businesses to subject themselves to government control.

How can one spend so much time on DDO and still say something like this?

By existing?

In what sci-fi universe? Where's this lovely alternate universe in which capitalism works in practice in the blissful fashion that it does in the quixotic theory of free-marketarians? And how do you get there, by traveling through some sort of ideologically interdimensional wormhole?

One can make true statements of capitalism even if capitalism doesn't properly exist in this world, no?
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,299
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 2:22:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/17/2011 1:57:29 PM, charleslb wrote:
Freedo scores here. Ragnar, you should demonstrate that you have character by simply saying touché.
He scores by admitting he wasn't making an argument? On debate.org?

At 7/17/2011 1:57:57 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
tl;dr, but I'm an aspie and certain not libertarian.
Or even remotely an alpha male.

Back to the drawing board, charles?

I'm sure that mongeese is capable of a lengthier and less lame reply, perhaps he didn't have the time to construct an intricate free-marketarian defense.
Good lord, selective attention much? Just ignoring the fact that there wasn't anything of substance for him to respond to in the first place, because Freedo was on your side?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 2:29:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/17/2011 2:57:48 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Zuckuss was a successful Gand bounty hunter who ...

Suckass was a mediocre troll who unrealistically considered himself to be worthy of the screen name "Cerebral_Narcissist", when in truth he only had the Narcissist part down. Suckass somehow thought that posting absurdist non sequitur responses to my threads demonstrated his sophistication and wittiness, he was sadly mistaken. But let's not be too hard on our friend Suckass, for he's either genuinely conceited about his intellectuality, in which case our words are quite futilely expended on him; or his superior disdainfulness comes from a pathetically overcompensatory place, in which case we should endeavor to be empathetically indulgent and not respond like empathy-deficient libertarians. In either case, we must hold on to the caring hope that one day poor Suckass will mature beyond being a naughty little narcissistic troll.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 2:31:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/17/2011 3:41:11 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 7/16/2011 10:41:17 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/16/2011 10:38:25 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 7/16/2011 10:28:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/16/2011 10:23:46 PM, mongeese wrote:
One cannot force capitalism upon someone else; in fact, it's just about the only economic system that cannot be forced upon someone else, as communism forces all to contribute to a commune, and socialism forces all businesses to subject themselves to government control.

How can one spend so much time on DDO and still say something like this?

By existing?

It's always best to reply to a redundant question with another one, isn't it? :D

You mean rhetorical right?

You know what Freedo meant, don't be pedantic. It's quite pathetically telling.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 2:33:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/17/2011 4:27:10 AM, belle wrote:
hmm. is a political position you disagree with a mental disorder? sounds like a fruitful question!

This is reductionistic and clearly doesn't seek to do justice to my OP in an intellectually honest way. But, if you have more to say you're welcome to do so.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,299
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 2:37:06 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/17/2011 2:33:35 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 7/17/2011 4:27:10 AM, belle wrote:
hmm. is a political position you disagree with a mental disorder? sounds like a fruitful question!

This is reductionistic and clearly doesn't seek to do justice to my OP in an intellectually honest way.
Doing justice to your OP and doing something in an intellectually honest way are conflicting goals.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 2:39:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/17/2011 4:38:26 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 7/17/2011 4:27:10 AM, belle wrote:
hmm. is a political position you disagree with a mental disorder? sounds like a fruitful question!

I can smell your sarcasm a mile away, you alpha-male!

trolololo

No, "libertarianism" isn't a psychiatric disorder merely because I disagree with its fundamental tenets. That's not at all the case that I make in my OP, but then how would you know, since you've already admitted that you haven't actually read it. FYI, I give a number of specific reasons why libertarianism can be aptly viewed as a political equivalent of Asperger's, the fact that I profoundly disagree with it lock, stock, and barrel may be the motive, but it's certainly not the basis for my critical analysis.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 2:41:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/17/2011 10:58:49 AM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/16/2011 10:14:30 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
>implying Charles' posts are useful.

Ad hominem.

Good point Danielle. You should duly note this, dear Ragnar.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 2:44:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/17/2011 2:11:40 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 7/17/2011 2:31:35 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
dont make fun of asspies. Its a serious condition, just like every other combination of chemicals in the brain.

Dont get me started on retards...

The word "retard" is unkind and should be deleted from the vocabulary of anyone who values kindness.:

Meanwhile, back in the U.S.S.R., Charles denigrates libertarians as "Aspies," because he'd never dare say that they go full retard. That would be just way too mean...
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 2:45:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/17/2011 11:03:49 AM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/16/2011 10:23:46 PM, mongeese wrote:
1. Many people start out as liberals or conservatives, but over time become libertarians. How does that fit in to your analysis?

2. Many libertarians donate considerable portions of their income to charity, and still participate in fundraisers and such things. How does that fit into your analysis?

3. What percentage of libertarians do you think are libertarians because of a psychological self-centeredness?

Lrn 2 sarcasm. He's really drawing comparisons between Aspies and libs; not saying all libs are actually Aspies. That makes these questions kind of irrelevant. Plus, look at Dexter (the vigilante, serial killing tv character). He does a lot of good deeds as a front, but that doesn't mean he isn't actually a sociopath.

Correct, Danielle.

Finally, a few comments:

One cannot force capitalism upon someone else; in fact, it's just about the only economic system that cannot be forced upon someone else

WHAAAT? You can't be serious. This is a joke, right? Typo maybe?

Alas no, he and his fellow right-libertarians here really hold such ideologically delusional beliefs about capitalism.

Additionally, you say that libertarians are impatient, but I can assure you that an impatient person would not have the attention span necessary to read your posts.

Almost every person on this site lacks the patience to read Charles' posts by their own admission (except Cody). I usually do, but I thought this one was amusing :P

Glad to be of service in providing a bit of amusement. And yes, most of those individuals who lack the patience to read my posts are in fact "libertarians". A little anecdotal confirmation of my thesis.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 2:49:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/17/2011 2:45:30 PM, charleslb wrote:
Glad to be of service in providing a bit of amusement. And yes, most of those individuals who lack the patience to read my posts are in fact "libertarians". A little anecdotal confirmation of my thesis.

How do you know how many people lacked the patience to read your posts, or what political ideologies they had? Did everyone who didn't read the whole thing post, "Hey, I didn't read your post due to lack of patience, and I'm a <insert ideology here>"? You can't be serious to call this "confirmation" in any sense of the word.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,299
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 2:51:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/17/2011 2:39:26 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 7/17/2011 4:38:26 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 7/17/2011 4:27:10 AM, belle wrote:
hmm. is a political position you disagree with a mental disorder? sounds like a fruitful question!

I can smell your sarcasm a mile away, you alpha-male!

trolololo

No, "libertarianism" isn't a psychiatric disorder merely because I disagree with its fundamental tenets. That's not at all the case that I make in my OP, but then how would you know, since you've already admitted that you haven't actually read it. FYI, I give a number of specific reasons why libertarianism can be aptly viewed as a political equivalent of Asperger's, the fact that I profoundly disagree with it lock, stock, and barrel may be the motive, but it's certainly not the basis for my critical analysis.

THEYRE SELF-CENTERED
THEY LACK EMPATHY
Those aren't reasons, and in fact the second one is false, coming from morons confusing the language. Libertarians, in the psychological sense (which is not really necessary as a word, but that's the psychologists fault), have empathy-- the ability to reason about what other people are thinking. What some of us (though not all as Mongeese will attest) lack-- quite deliberately-- is compassion, a very different thing. Lacking compassion cannot be classified as a "disorder" unless you WANT compassion. Focusing on the self is not a disorder, it's some degree inability, not unwillingness, to understand the existence of others that marks autism.

Did I miss any of your reasons?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,299
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 2:56:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
By the way, here's how you properly diagnose asperger's, in case you want to try again and at least do a better job of ad hominem.

(I) Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:
(A) marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction
(B) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
(C) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interest or achievements with other people, (e.g.. by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
(D) lack of social or emotional reciprocity
(II) Restricted repetitive & stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:
(A) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
(B) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
(C) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g. hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
(D) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

(III) The disturbance causes clinically significant impairments in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

(IV) There is no clinically significant general delay in language (E.G. single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years)

(V) There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction) and curiosity about the environment in childhood.

(VI) Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia."
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,299
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 3:00:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
And I know your post will be long, despite the fact that whatever content it has could be expressed in a fifth the size or less, but if you try again, you could try structuring your analysis according to the outline of the diagnosis. Structured long posts are more tolerable than incredible walls of text.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 3:09:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/17/2011 12:12:13 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 7/17/2011 11:03:49 AM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/16/2011 10:23:46 PM, mongeese wrote:
1. Many people start out as liberals or conservatives, but over time become libertarians. How does that fit in to your analysis?

2. Many libertarians donate considerable portions of their income to charity, and still participate in fundraisers and such things. How does that fit into your analysis?

3. What percentage of libertarians do you think are libertarians because of a psychological self-centeredness?

Lrn 2 sarcasm. He's really drawing comparisons between Aspies and libs; not saying all libs are actually Aspies.

With charleslb, you can't be sure.

Does that mean that I at least make you think?

That makes these questions kind of irrelevant.

If he's accusing libertarians of being self-centered, it's refuted by the fact that many libertarians are as nice and charitable as their peers, but just less trustworthy of government. Charles, however, groups all libertarians as self-centered. It's a contradiction that needs clarification, so it's hardly irrelevant.

As for the vaunted private charitableness of libertarians, it no more proves that libertarians are basically compassionate human beings than the philanthropic donations of Colombian cocaine kingpins (such as Pablo Escobar, who's remembered by some in Medellin as a saint-like figure because of his generosity to the poor) prove that they're decent chaps deep down.

Also, your statement that libertarians are: "less trustworthy of government", was that just an innocent typo, or a Freudian one? Well, in either case, I for one certainly agree that libertarians would be less worthy of being trusted with running the government. If they were ever placed in such a position, a position to implement their ideology, I shudder to think of the consequences for the poor, for workingpeople, and for consumers.

Plus, look at Dexter (the vigilante, serial killing tv character). He does a lot of good deeds as a front, but that doesn't mean he isn't actually a sociopath.

Are you suggesting that libertarians are charitable "as a front"? Otherwise, I'm missing the point of that statement.

It doesn't have to be the case that libertarians are charitable as a consciously fraudulent front for their charitableness to fail to refute my thesis. Humans are multi-dimensional creatures, after all. A libertarian can have a decent dimension to his personality that gives to charity, and still have a predominantly uncharitable & unempathetic attitude. His ideology disposes of any cognitive dissonance, and voilà, he can be a living contradiction, an uncompassionate libertarian philanthropist without even realizing the inherent paradoxicality of what he is.

Finally, a few comments:

One cannot force capitalism upon someone else; in fact, it's just about the only economic system that cannot be forced upon someone else

WHAAAT? You can't be serious. This is a joke, right? Typo maybe?

A capitalist economy does not prevent any group within the economy from setting up groups adhering to socialism or communism or whatnot. You could only really "force" capitalism if you consider that if just about everybody else around you is participating in capitalism, you're much better off participating in capitalism, but if that's the case, you really weren't going to get anywhere suggesting communism or socialism any way.

That's right, in your alternate libertarian universe the power of capitalists and the seriously asymmetrical status quo that inherently exists under capitalism doesn't exercise any coercive control over people's lives. Once again, I point out that the only problem is that apparently the laws of your universe differ significantly from ours.

Additionally, you say that libertarians are impatient, but I can assure you that an impatient person would not have the attention span necessary to read your posts.

Almost every person on this site lacks the patience to read Charles' posts by their own admission (except Cody). I usually do, but I thought this one was amusing :P

Can't disagree with that one.

And do you disagree with it's implication, that libertarians tend to be a tad intolerant, in an Aspergerian way?
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 3:11:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/17/2011 12:28:59 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 7/17/2011 10:58:49 AM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/16/2011 10:14:30 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
>implying Charles' posts are useful.

Ad hominem.
More of an argument from history really.

Also, lol@ calling that in a thread constituting nothing else.

If you don't read my posts then you can't make such assertions, not with any real creditability, anyway.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,299
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2011 3:14:06 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/17/2011 3:11:33 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 7/17/2011 12:28:59 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 7/17/2011 10:58:49 AM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/16/2011 10:14:30 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
>implying Charles' posts are useful.

Ad hominem.
More of an argument from history really.

Also, lol@ calling that in a thread constituting nothing else.

If you don't read my posts then you can't make such assertions, not with any real creditability, anyway.

Reading the post did nothing to alter this perception.

The title itself tells us everything we need to know in regard to its status as ad hominem.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.