Jump to topic:

Food "wastage"

Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 1:59:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I don't know how many of you are aware of a festival in Spain known as La Tomatina.

People gather and throw tomatoes at each other, it seems.

Well, an Indian movie recently showed that festival, and promptly, some people in an Indian city wanted to replicate that festival. They created a Facebook page and all and set a date.

But, the government has said that they cannot do it, as it is a wastage of food, and in a country where so many people are not able to get food, it's not a good thing.

This was in response to a memorandum sent to the government by the tomato growers, environmentalists adn NGOs. The exact words are "This seems like a Western culture which has been imported here in the name of a festival. The government should not allow such waste of an agricultural crop"
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 7:43:15 PM
It is not a waste if it provides valuable intertainment. There is no finite limit on the number of tomatoes the eath can support, at least not any number we can fathom.
I have a very hard time taking seriously the political philosophy of someone who defends the Borg.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 8:33:39 PM
Its a waste, and the thought behind the decision is good, but I doubt it is the government's place to tell people that they cannot waste food, and I highly doubt preventing a little festival is going to feed any more starving people in India, unless they plan on handing those starving people raw tomatoes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If the government was truly interested in a long term abolition of widespread starvation, then it would start embracing its attractions, revenue enhancers, and economy stimulators, and use the new influx of revenue to actually proactively help reduce the amount of poor people and help the starving.
"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance"
- Derek Bok

"A sect or party is an elegant incognito devised to save a man from the vexation of thinking"
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 9:23:27 PM
At 9/16/2011 8:33:39 PM, 000ike wrote:
Its a waste, and the thought behind the decision is good, but I doubt it is the government's place to tell people that they cannot waste food, and I highly doubt preventing a little festival is going to feed any more starving people in India, unless they plan on handing those starving people raw tomatoes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If the government was truly interested in a long term abolition of widespread starvation, then it would start embracing its attractions, revenue enhancers, and economy stimulators, and use the new influx of revenue to actually proactively help reduce the amount of poor people and help the starving.

You cant have your tomato and throw it too.
I have a very hard time taking seriously the political philosophy of someone who defends the Borg.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2011 1:19:56 PM
At 9/17/2011 1:09:19 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Well couldn't the starving eat them after the festival was over?

Thousands of starving indians eating smashed tomatoes on the floor, like a bunch of pigs. Human dignity for the win.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2011 1:32:38 PM
At 9/17/2011 1:19:56 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/17/2011 1:09:19 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Well couldn't the starving eat them after the festival was over?

Thousands of starving indians eating smashed tomatoes on the floor, like a bunch of pigs. Human dignity for the win.

Don't they do that anyways? Finding food sources from strange places.

The whole proposal to ban the festival isn't doing much to end starvation.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2011 1:41:35 PM
At 9/17/2011 1:39:15 PM, Kinesis wrote:
If humanity would get over its aversion to cannibalism, the world's food problem would be solved.

http://art-bin.com...
Open borders debate:
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2011 1:43:35 PM
Now, the people who bought those tomatoes used their own money to buy them from a grocery store for enjoying La Tomatina - India version. Why would they buy those tomatoes and hand them over to starving people? Let them enjoy. Indian government = fail.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2011 1:57:29 PM
It's not the government's business. I understand that hunger is a serious issue, but government intervention is not a solution.
No Locusts Stand I.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2011 2:12:59 PM
But, the government has said that they cannot do it, as it is a wastage of food, and in a country where so many people are not able to get food, it's not a good thing.:

That seems like a very specious argument for the government. First of all, most in the Spanish festival use spoiled or very ripe tomato's, secondly they paid for the food item... at that point, they could shove it up their @ss if they want to. If it is paid for, it's certainly not hurting tomato farmers!

So what difference does it make to the Indian government when the same thing would apply to India?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2011 2:14:54 PM
At 9/17/2011 1:39:15 PM, Kinesis wrote:
If humanity would get over its aversion to cannibalism, the world's food problem would be solved.:

Sigged!
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2011 2:48:54 AM
At 9/17/2011 1:57:29 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
It's not the government's business. I understand that hunger is a serious issue, but government intervention is not a solution.

Are you serious? Pray tell, whose intervention is the solution, then?
marcuscato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2011 4:25:18 AM
LOL. Indian people are cheap, we would never buy those tomatoes with our own money. In all likelihood nearby shopkeepers would be asked to make a 'contribution' i.e. an offer they can't refuse. and this money would be used to sponsor it, just like most religious festivals.
That movie(ZNMD) failed.
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2011 5:15:03 AM
At 9/18/2011 4:25:18 AM, marcuscato wrote:
LOL. Indian people are cheap, we would never buy those tomatoes with our own money. In all likelihood nearby shopkeepers would be asked to make a 'contribution' i.e. an offer they can't refuse. and this money would be used to sponsor it, just like most religious festivals.

The tomato festival would not have been a religious one. I doubt any 'neighboring shopkeeper' would have made the contribution. They'd have no incentive to.

That movie(ZNMD) failed.

I thought it rocked. But then this is subjective.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2011 10:21:42 AM
At 9/18/2011 2:48:54 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:

The people's intervention. If you dislike a private group's decision, you protest, not whine to mommy-govt.
No Locusts Stand I.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2011 10:26:13 AM
At 9/18/2011 10:21:42 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:

The people's intervention. If you dislike a private group's decision, you protest, not whine to mommy-govt.

Bit fallacious don't you think? The issue of a nation stricken with poverty is within the governments responsibility to correct, and I don't think you'd have the heart/ audacity to actually say "whine to mommy-govt" to some of the starving and poverty stricken people in India.
"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance"
- Derek Bok

"A sect or party is an elegant incognito devised to save a man from the vexation of thinking"
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2011 10:29:05 AM
At 9/18/2011 10:26:13 AM, 000ike wrote:

Bit fallacious don't you think? The issue of a nation stricken with poverty is within the governments responsibility to correct, and I don't think you'd have the heart/ audacity to actually say "whine to mommy-govt" to some of the starving and poverty stricken people in India.

Now that I look back to it, as someone else pointed out, the tomatoes weren't even fit to be eaten, at least in Spain. I honestly think that there isn't enough information to say what the government should/should not have done.

If the tomatoes were fit for use, then yes, I think it may have been justifiable of the government, but there are many factors: quality of the tomatoes, quantity being used, etc.
No Locusts Stand I.
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2011 10:29:56 AM

Lolwut? The government's role is to address the protests and come up with a solution. If you are going to try for a mutual agreement between two non-agreeing private groups, better get ready for chaos.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2011 10:31:45 AM
At 9/18/2011 10:29:56 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:

Lolwut? The government's role is to address the protests and come up with a solution. If you are going to try for a mutual agreement between two non-agreeing private groups, better get ready for chaos.

Bleh--I changed my view on the subject--back on the last page.
No Locusts Stand I.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2011 10:46:25 AM
At 9/18/2011 10:29:56 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:

The government has the right to allow a protest to occur, so long as it is civilized. It has no right to address the needs and wants of the protests. I don't the US government should address the "God hates f*gs" and "f*g soldier" rallies. However, the protesters have the right to speak.
Open borders debate:
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2011 12:16:29 PM
At 9/18/2011 10:46:25 AM, darkkermit wrote:

The government has the right to allow a protest to occur, so long as it is civilized. It has no right to address the needs and wants of the protests. I don't the US government should address the "God hates f*gs" and "f*g soldier" rallies. However, the protesters have the right to speak.

It's its duty. These protests don't ask for an address since they aren't aimed at it. But for the protests that want the government to respond, of course it has to.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2011 12:18:31 PM
At 9/18/2011 12:16:29 PM, gerrandesquire wrote:

It's its duty. These protests don't ask for an address since they aren't aimed at it. But for the protests that want the government to respond, of course it has to.

I agree that in many cases it SHOULD---but then again, the country could pull a douche move and ignore the protests, a la Libya.
No Locusts Stand I.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2011 12:45:23 PM

Alright, so If a bunch of protesters specifically ask for the government to "kill jews" should the government respond?

Democracy is mob rule. The government has no right to respond to protests that will interfere with one's rights.
Open borders debate:
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 7:48:14 AM
At 9/18/2011 12:45:23 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Alright, so If a bunch of protesters specifically ask for the government to "kill jews" should the government respond?

Democracy is mob rule. The government has no right to respond to protests that will interfere with one's rights.

Of course it should respond. And pull out reasons why it can't.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 10:14:53 AM
At 9/17/2011 2:12:59 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
But, the government has said that they cannot do it, as it is a wastage of food, and in a country where so many people are not able to get food, it's not a good thing.:

That seems like a very specious argument for the government. First of all, most in the Spanish festival use spoiled or very ripe tomato's, secondly they paid for the food item... at that point, they could shove it up their @ss if they want to. If it is paid for, it's certainly not hurting tomato farmers!

A group of rich go green nutjobs could buy up all the oil in the world and make a great bonfire out of it....and that's okay right?
So what difference does it make to the Indian government when the same thing would apply to India?
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.