Jump to topic:

Knife Ban

Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2016 7:00:08 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
I'm curious on how members of the UK feel about the consideration of a knife ban. Some knives are already banned. It's interesting to me because it's a commonly used weapon, but used by the majority of households so there is less chance of ignorance and irrational fear for things like kitchen knives.

This thread is not being placed in politics as its intended to explore the mindset and culture behind British society over what would be proper legislation. I wish to avoid needless banter on rights and whatnot that would arise elseware.
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2016 9:46:55 PM
At 12/22/2016 7:00:08 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
I'm curious on how members of the UK feel about the consideration of a knife ban. Some knives are already banned. It's interesting to me because it's a commonly used weapon, but used by the majority of households so there is less chance of ignorance and irrational fear for things like kitchen knives.

This thread is not being placed in politics as its intended to explore the mindset and culture behind British society over what would be proper legislation. I wish to avoid needless banter on rights and whatnot that would arise elseware.

Institute a knife ban and hand out machine guns to every household so they can cut up their food by shooting it
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2016 1:33:13 PM

it's beyond stupid and border line fascist, you can make a knife out of thick plastic, in fact I was cut as a kid by a plastic ruler someone has sharpened on a cement patio slab. I mean seriously watch some real prison movies or google shank.
BobTheRocket2 wrote:
Arguing with a liberal is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what, it's going to knock over the pieces, crap all over the board, and strut around like it's victorious.

"Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual.
- Drizzt Do'Urden"
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2016 2:13:18 PM

From what I see it only applies to "zombie knives".
Still, the only difference I see between this and a machete is that the machete has "socially redeeming value", as they say.
The woodsman pal would be an effective zombie killer, better than a machete, although pricier.
https://themachetestore.com...

Difficult to see how they can remain legal, unless the redeeming value argument is made.

Aluminum baseball bats. Now there is a serious threat to humanity that needs banned.
Aluminum cricket bats did not catch on, so Britain remains safe from that threat.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2016 3:37:24 PM
At 12/26/2016 2:13:18 PM, Welfare-Worker wrote:

Still, the only difference I see between this and a machete is that the machete has "socially redeeming value", as they say.
The woodsman pal would be an effective zombie killer, better than a machete, although pricier.

Difficult to see how they can remain legal, unless the redeeming value argument is made.

Aluminum baseball bats. Now there is a serious threat to humanity that needs banned.
Aluminum cricket bats did not catch on, so Britain remains safe from that threat.

I would bet you could put an edge on the wooden cricket bat, even aluminum can be sharpened but other than good quality steel it won't hold an edge for long, but in the recent terrorist attacks I don't think they were worried about that.
BobTheRocket2 wrote:
Arguing with a liberal is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what, it's going to knock over the pieces, crap all over the board, and strut around like it's victorious.

"Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual.
- Drizzt Do'Urden"
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2016 7:53:41 PM
At 12/26/2016 3:37:24 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

I would bet you could put an edge on the wooden cricket bat, even aluminum can be sharpened but other than good quality steel it won't hold an edge for long, but in the recent terrorist attacks I don't think they were worried about that.

I was thinking more along the line of zombie killer- blunt force trauma.
https://www.google.com...
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2016 7:55:40 PM
At 12/26/2016 7:53:41 PM, Welfare-Worker wrote:
At 12/26/2016 3:37:24 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

I was thinking more along the line of zombie killer- blunt force trauma.
https://www.google.com...

yeah they aren't worried about that yet, first it's things with sharp edges, next it will be pointy sticks, then sporks!!! fear the spork, what a nutzo country lol.
BobTheRocket2 wrote:

- Drizzt Do'Urden"
FanboyMctroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2017 6:40:55 PM

How am I supposed to butter my toast without a butter knife?
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2017 6:49:00 PM
At 1/11/2017 6:40:55 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:

use your finger, they haven't banned those......yet
BobTheRocket2 wrote:

- Drizzt Do'Urden"
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2017 7:10:51 PM

If you are under 18 I read you can't even be trusted to go to the store and buy plastic butter knives. I don't mean to make fun of them, but here is a good laugh.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk...

Okay, that's making fun of them, rightfully so, but I don't want to just flame them. I'm just curious how they feel on the subject. The way I grew up, I consider people to hold responsibility for their actions, and if they make a mistake, they have to make up for it somehow and learn and that's kinda my approach to things of this nature.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2017 7:38:38 PM
At 1/11/2017 7:10:51 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

If you are under 18 I read you can't even be trusted to go to the store and buy plastic butter knives. I don't mean to make fun of them, but here is a good laugh.

Okay, that's making fun of them, rightfully so, but I don't want to just flame them. I'm just curious how they feel on the subject. The way I grew up, I consider people to hold responsibility for their actions, and if they make a mistake, they have to make up for it somehow and learn and that's kinda my approach to things of this nature.

wow that's just unreal, I guess there's been a huge outbreak of people gouging out their eyes with a spoon, but why a spoon? because it hurts more! I dunno sounds a bit like a tyrannical government, good thing they gave up their guns.
BobTheRocket2 wrote:

- Drizzt Do'Urden"
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2017 8:18:18 PM
At 1/11/2017 7:38:38 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

wow that's just unreal, I guess there's been a huge outbreak of people gouging out their eyes with a spoon, but why a spoon? because it hurts more! I dunno sounds a bit like a tyrannical government, good thing they gave up their guns.

Well, it was just a company error with a dummy at the checkout. The spoons got looped in with the other silverware. I think they have kind of a thing against "youth gangs" over there or something and that is supposed to prevent weapon availability.

Id like to see more outreach to inhibit gangs here too really, in a sensible sort of fashion. We are making progress on our homicides and murders though.

2016, despite the headlines, was a relatively good year most places and 2015 was too, not in Chicago though.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2017 8:38:10 PM
At 1/11/2017 8:18:18 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 1/11/2017 7:38:38 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

Well, it was just a company error with a dummy at the checkout. The spoons got looped in with the other silverware. I think they have kind of a thing against "youth gangs" over there or something and that is supposed to prevent weapon availability.

Id like to see more outreach to inhibit gangs here too really, in a sensible sort of fashion. We are making progress on our homicides and murders though.

2016, despite the headlines, was a relatively good year most places and 2015 was too, not in Chicago though.

yes outreach is the key, not more dumb a$$ laws, are they banning youtube, ever look up tutorials on all the homemade weapons, I wouldn't even worry about buying one when I can make something far better from a used lawn mower blade, maybe those are next, it's nice to know it's just not the U.S. government that dumb enough to think laws like this do anything useful.
BobTheRocket2 wrote:

- Drizzt Do'Urden"