“Religious arguments against euthanasia are not important today.” Do you agree? How far do you agree or disagree?

Asked by: Delirium_25
  • I agree with this entirely...

Religion is not as important as it was in the past when science, logic, and reasoning, and evidence wasn't as influential. Speaking from an atheist's point of view, I have to say that religion should not (or have little) involved with controversial topics such as euthanasia, especially since this is science based. If people support euthanasia, then by all means, they can. We live in a world where we are free to choose what to believe in, even in countries with limited or no freedoms and rights (we'll debate about that another time). Religion should not get their noses involved in every single aspect of life, as that would just piss people off, especially if they believe in other religions, or are atheists, agnostics, or spiritual (those believing in the super-natural) people. Yes, I do agree that religion does have the right to get involved, but do not get too involved where you are forcing or pressuring the government and people to view it as illegal and sinful. With the exception of some cases, euthanasia should be practiced among extremely ill, physically handicapped, or severely mentally retarded individuals that are going through endless pain and suffering. Whether you like it or not, religion should have little say in such controversial topics as it would only add fuel to the fire.

• I agree with this statement

In today's society there influence of religion is becoming less dominant, when a person decides to end their life it is not based on others religious opinions as everyone's will be different instead it is their right to end their suffering if terminally ill as asking them to live just because its against gods views is unfair and selfish and may cause even more pain and suffering.

• Religion has no right to control society, people do.

If a particular religion has an objection to a certain principle then that is it's problem. Society is a collection of people, nothing to do with religion, political ideals or anything else. When it comes to matters like this, votes should decide because if we let one religious belief decide, it ignores the other, non-religious citizens. The religious person can express there views with a tick of yes and no and hope that a majority of voters agree with his views.

At the end of the day, a diverse society of people all have a say in their society, not just a select few.

• Religious arguments for ethics are important to a degree:

The philosophical basis for all arguments is important whether that be religious/spiritual, emotional, physical, or otherwise. To that end I have to disagree that it is unimportant. While I do think that religion should not be the sole standard to set one's ethics against at all the reasoning can be considered valid on social issues where ethics is concerned.

• I do not agree with this at all

Although the media likes to influence people and think that reli.Gion is not important at all, I think religion will always be important I mean in Britain there are 40 archbishops who still have one of the final choices whether or not a law is passed and I don't think euthanasia is right anyway and religion doesn't agree with it either so no. Because religion is a,ways important