( YES ) Make the school day longer but the school year shorter ( NO ) Make the school day shorter and school year longer?

Asked by: Sorry_Not_Sorry
  • School year shorter school day shorter

No argument needed . . . . .. . . .. . . . . . . .. . . . .. . . .. .. .. . . . . .. . . . .. . . .. . . .. . . .. . . . .. ... . . . . .

No argument needed . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .

• School day should be as it is...School year should be short

Well school is a very important place to learn but if we get more time in a year to be free then it will improve the learning process. Children should no feel hectic because then they will lose interest in studies and forced study is never a good option. So children should be given enough time in a year to do whatever they like..

• School year shorter

I would want the school year to be shorter so I wouldn't mind having to stay in school for a couple more hours. In the long run if you were to pick this option you wouldn't get "rewarded" right away. This option really pays off when you get to summer brake or spring brake or winter brake because you would get a few more days to enjoy summer.

• School Day Shorter

While having longer days might work better for younger students, such as elementary or middle school students it will not work well for high school students. Adding more time onto the day would have a number of consequences. After school activities would have to go even later and it would be harder to find time for students to work. This would cause the already overloaded high school students to have less time but the same if not more work on a regular basis. Having a shorter school day would allow for more time to get things done for students and relieve some of their stress. They will have less breaks, though time would be more manageable.

• Shorter School days.

I am a Secondary school student in Singapore. (should be considered high school in US). Although we might have a different education system compared to you guys, I could tell you that the homework payload here is ridiculously high here. Belonging to an Asian country and their strong belief of tradition, the strong social malicious ailment of the society here pushed us and I am in no doubt that the expectations of us is very very high. The competition here in Singapore is very strong and imagine every single classmate you knew was very good in their studies or in other aspects. And when the exam or holiday is round the corner, the teacher literally bombarded us with exam practices paper and home works so I would rather do homework little by little every day than having many papers and home works given in stacks to do during the holiday. Imagine every day, you have a test everyday continuously for 10 days in school (excluding the weekend) while handling the homework and seriously this happened to me. I really laud my education system .(Sarcasm intended) Out of school year, it getting more worse, as we have time to stay at home, the mentality was that we will have more time to work hard but in fact, no as we have other activities as well hah. Well now studies is getting more arduous and I really can't stand my school life here so I hope we will have less breaks and teacher will not ever need to rush the lessons to complete the syllabus in holiday yeap. We always get called back to school so what the point of getting holiday? So I would say no and prefers a longer school year. Well, there no such thing of getting 'rewarded' for our hard work here now as next year is the national examination so have to buckle up and continue running then. Hope a different education system can make this opinion valid haha.

P.S My English was bad. Our entire cohort failed comprehension except 1 just passed, that teacher who set the paper was crazy which is much harder than national examination. I am happy enough to just pass my English lol. My future seem so bleak for me haha and I am just 15 lol.

• Shorter school day

Not too much shorter. In fact the total amount of time spent at school in a year should increase so that we can add computer programming to the core curricula. Given the fast pace of technological advancement everyone should have at least some basic knowledge of how programming works.

There should also be more social studies, specifically kids should be taught to become aware of how they are forming their opinions and more importantly based on what. They should learn how people often form their worldviews passively based on what the stories the media selects and that a more scientific way to do this is by reading statistics and studies, but that they also have to be careful about statistics and studies. The class should include a basic review of what to look for to determine if statistics and studies are relevant or irrelevant, and useful or flawed. If we don't teach this to our kids we will have more of the same in our politics on both sides of the aisle for generations to come.

• If you have elementary kids, it's clear that long break of not attending school is bad for learning

In US, most of elementary children have long 3 months summer break. If the parents are supporting and guiding the children during the long break, Fine. But what suffer the most are the under-serviced children. All 3 months with no guidance, no work, no tasks. When school starts, there is a big gap of catching up with children with more resources. This effect widen the economical and social gap with years to come.