2015 Technology - 3-D Printer for Food: Do you want a 3-D printer that will print food, like burgers or pasta?

• Yes if it is possible

If we can realistically print food that is healthy and tastes good then we would definitely be able to help food-insecure countries with these. Also, we may not need large farms with lots of cows, etc. that produce a lot of greenhouse gasses. I say we at least try to invent it.

• It would be a good idea, but...

If we were able to print 3-D edible burgers, surely the human race has great potential, and we're using it for... Downloadable chips.
    This is a waste of scientists' time, if it is actually a thing they are attempting. If these people can do all this, why aren't they doing something equally challenging, but... Useful?

• No, Natural food is healthier.

Natural foods are definitely healthier for a persons body. Foods that would be printed on a printer would be artificially made. Logically it would be no better for a persons body than all the preservatives that are an healthy choice for a person's body. All natural is the way to go.

• Sounds like cancer

This doesn't even sound feasible, and if it somehow is, to me sounds like a speed trip to getting cancer or some weird disease. I'm not sure how this can possibly be healthy for people to eat "printed" food or what the allure is but I would rather get my food the old fashion way.

• No, I do not want a 3-D printer that will print out food.

The idea of a 3-D printer that prints out food is at once fascinating and revolting. Fascinating, because obviously it represents an incredible step in the development of technology. It quite literally seems to be something come straight out of scienc fiction. On the other hand, though, it is kind of disgusting. What in the world is to be the base material out of which these foods are printed? Soy beans and spare animal parts?

• No, I do not want a 3-D printer for food

I am a strong and vocal supporter of biotechnology such as genetically modified crops, so while the concept of using a 3-D printer for food does not frighten me, it sounds unappetizing. There is a personal element to food, it being a core constituent of our carbon-based lives, and a 3-D printer seems like it would dehumanize it a bit. It is possible that I could be convinced over time to change my position, but, if nothing else, it seems like a waste of manpower and technology that could be better used on other, more pressing issues.