A 12 year old boy was arrested over an attempted rape of a 76-year-old woman. Should he be tried as an adult?

• A 12 year old accused of rape should be tried as an adult

A 12 year old boy accused of attempting to rape a 76 year old woman should be tried as an adult. The crime is so heinous, that he should not be tried in juvenile court where he would receive a more lenient sentence. There are certain crimes that are inexcusable and a price should be paid, even if the accused is 12 years old.

• 12 is too young to be tried as adult

I believe 12 years old is too young to be tried as an adult. At 12 years old, kids are hardly able to make basic everyday decisions for themselves. I think it would be extremely harsh to hold this boy responsible for the rest of his life for a decision he made at such a young age. I think he needs to face consequences for his actions, but at that age I don't think he has the mental capacity to act or be judged as an adult.

• Help him change!

This crime of violating an elderly woman is a heinous one. However, at 12 years old, this young boy is still in his formative years. It would be cruel to place him in an adult penitentiary and give him an adult sentence. He should pay for his crime, but hopefully through a sentence in a reform prison for youth, counseling, community service, and education, he will be able to turn his life around.

• No, at twelve he is too young to be tried as an adult.

No, I do not feel that a 12-year-old boy should be tried as an adult, even in a case like this. He is very young and in the right environment, with the right training and counseling, he can probably be reformed. I do believe that reforming someone is a higher priority than punishing them.