A 2.0 student can know more than a 4.0 student. Grades don't determine intelligence, they test your memory.

Asked by: daversa
  • What is 2+2?

You know the answer the second I say it, because you have this problem memorized. Your brain subconsciously memorizes so you can have access to information much quicker. Once we get into harder problems, you might not have the answer memorized, but you have to remember how to do it, you have to remember the process.
    Yes tests and exams try your memory, but how else are we going to learn if we can't remember any of it? Memory is 50%, and maybe more, of the battle and with good study time, and work you can get better at remembering and memorizing all that you need to.

• I Half Agree

I do agree that it is possible for 2.0 students to know more than 4.0 students, but I feel that this is a rarity. I believe that the average 2.0 student would be shown to be less driven, less disciplined, or less practiced than the average 4.0 student. If these 2 students were tested for intelligence, I would not be surprised to see the 2.0 student match or even outrank the 4.0 student, but the 4.0 student arguably displays a more consistent performance in everyday tasks.

That being said, I don't believe that grades only test memory. Depending on what type of assignment is given, instructors can easily see whether or not the student understands concepts. If every assignment is multiple choice, then memory is the only factor. However, if you ask the student to show and explain their work, or ask them to write an essay about a given topic, then the grade on that assignment determines their thought process, not just memory.

So I think that you are partially right, but I also think this is a black and white way to perceive this topic.

• The differences between online and traditional classroom educations.

The traditional schooling experience requires you to attend classes in person and on campus. It makes sense to attend classes in person if you decide to live in the dorms or are an incoming freshmen who wants the real college experience. There are certainly more opportunities to join clubs, associations, or fraternities/sororities while taking classes on campus. Also, you may need additional assistance from guidance counselors and professors, which is more readily available on campus. Traditional classes may be a better choice for students who aren't very savvy with technology or who enjoy interacting with teachers and professors face-to-face.

Online education is also known as distance learning and consists of taking classes via the internet. More and more students take online classes because of the flexibility and convenience it provides. You can attend class sessions from the comfort of your home and complete assignments at almost any time of the day. Online classes are great for individuals who have a demanding work schedule and family responsibilities. In addition, online classes are more cost efficient because they doesn't require any commuting, allowing you to save on gas and the wear and tear of your vehicle. Online courses are also great for individuals in the military or who travel frequently. The distance learning format allows students to pursue education through an out-of-state school without having to transfer residence.

• Depends on the person

It's definitely possible.GPAs are there to give you an idea.A high GPA doesn't make you more intelligent and a low GPA doesn't necessarily mean you're an idiot.Hence why most top tier schools have hollistic admissions.Social anxiety, ADD and OCD made school and life in general hell for me and my grades weren't that great for example.It really depends on the person.

• What is 2+2?

• I don't completely disagree, but your statement that money buys GPA is a bit bold.

I have lived in deeper poverty than a vast majority of this website. A couple months ago, I was evicted out of my apartment and had to stay in one room with my entire family living with my uncle and aunt (whom are very hard to be around), all while driving more than a half hour to school everyday. Somehow, as one of the poorest children in my school, I maintained a 4.3 GPA consistently. Two weeks ago, I was accepted into early college, and will be earning my Associates Degree in two years at the age of eighteen. Money doesn't always matter (of course, there are exceptions)

However, I do agree that your GPA does not strictly define intelligence. I consider myself an informed, actively engaged individual in scientific, political, and mathematical topics, yet have sunk below a 2.0 GPA before (due to family issues throughout most of Middle School).

Sorry for the loose, unorganized argument. Just wanted to throw my perspective into the ring.

• I half disagree.

Although I do think that your grades doesn't always entirely determine's a person's intelligence. There is always something behind a certain grade. There are 4.0 students who worked their hardest to achieve a 4.0 GPA with integrity. Then there are those who cheated and some were merely just "book smarts". Compared to a 2.0 student who took their earnest time to study deeper into the subject appearing them to be more intelligent. My point is it could work vice versa. As far as grades testing just your memory I disagree. Again a student could have earned a 4.0 GPA by studying harder and thinking critically to achieved that grade thus determining their knowledge. Knowledge is such a broad term in my opinion. Being knowledgeable could be also being critical thinkers and having a good memory.

• Doesn't just test your memory.

I say anythings possible, but more likely then not, the 4.0 student knows more. I'm a proud 4.0 student and I can say that your GPA also depends on how much you work and try to achieve your goal. Most people with 2.0 GPAs do not apply themselves as much and that inflicts their knowledge.

• A persons knowledge ought to be translatable and explainable.

If a person is unable to explain a matter it indicates that they do not have a full understanding, which is important for exams and grading of a particular subject.

However there are many kinds of intelligence, therefore grading of a particular subject is not an indicator of a persons overall intellect.

• It would depend.

What a person knows ought to be translatable and explainable when being examined on that subject for grading. If that person is unable to explain it indicates that they do not have a full understanding of that subject.

However there are many kinds of intelligence, from that perspective grades do not indicate a person's intellect.

• They generally test intelligence.

I understand that some people have real life problems, depression, autism, social anxiety, etc that prevent them from getting a 4.0.

But not everyone is like that. Generally, how can a 2.0 student be more intelligent than a 4.0 student? To get a gpa that high, you need to be able to understand the material in order to memorize it. Not to mention you need to have common sense to actually get good grades. If you get a 2.0 in school for reasons other than the ones above, you're probably not very bright. Those people who think that Africa is a country or can't even do simple order of operations? No chance they'll be smarter than a 4.0 student.

A fact parrot can get a 4.0, but won't succeed in life. It's going to hurt them in the long run. A 4.0 student that connects the themes and workings of the subject they've learned will. Take the ap history tests, for example. The essays force you to understand themes and trends and synthesize a coherent essay. No person will get a 5 just from reciting the history and events of the USSR. It needs critical thinking.

Gpas serve as a good reference point, and don't strictly determine someone's intelligence. One person may be a math whiz and another may be awesome at essay writing. I suck at history and chemistry, but excel at the other subjects more than my peers. A 3.8 student can definitely be smarter than a 4.0 student. Can a 1.0 or 2.0 student do it? Generally, no.

• They test intelligence as well as our memory

I wanna say that they test our intelligence as well as memory because in cbse board exams they ask questions of HOTS which means higher order thinking skills so subjects like English,Social,Science and maths they use our intelligence and memory because answers in social and english is understood from book and questions which is in text book will get changed where as in maths and science we have to use our intelligence like applying particular theorm or formula so therefore grades determine our intelligence as well our memory.

Diqiucun_Cunmin says2015-05-01T09:09:26.693
If grades test memory, then a 2.0 student would be worse than a 4.0 at memory, which means a 2.0 student knows less than the 4.0...