A drunk driver that killed a little girl was court ordered as part of his sentence to write a check to the victims family every week for 10 years to remind himself of the tragedy he caused. Is this an effective punishment?

• Yes, ordering a drunk driver who killed little girl to write a check to the victim's family every week for the next ten years is an effective punishment

Yes, ordering a drunk driver who killed little girl to write a check to the victim's family every week for the next ten years is an effective punishment. The drunk driver will always remember the tragedy that he caused. Furthermore, the driver literally has to pay for it although not enough for what he did.

• Yes, I do believe that this is effective.

I believe that it is an effective punishment first of all because I have had a DWI before and know how serious the consequences are. I know that I do not want to get caught again. However, I feel like if they made him do that everyday it would be a reminder that would stick with him and he wouldn't drunk drive again.

• Forcing a drunk driver that kills a person to write a check to the victims family every so often to remind himself of the tragedy he caused is not an effective punishment

Forcing a drunk driver that kills a person to write a check to the victims family every so often to remind himself of the tragedy he caused is not an effective punishment. Most drunk drivers don't care about punishment. If they did, they would never drink again while driving or under license suspension. The opposite happens far too often.

• No, this is not an effective punishment.

The man that killed a little girl while driving drunk should pay for his crime. He should spend many years in prison, as well as be liable in a civil lawsuit. However, ordering him to write a check to the girl's family every week for 10 years to remind him of his crime, is not an effective punishment. The man should spend time behind bars and be ordered to pay civil damages in a lump sum. Furthermore, the family probably does not want to receive a check from this man every week, because it would remind them of this terrible tragedy.